• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

slider

This is really interesting: timings and capablities. I've got loads of thoughts but I'm sure they've already been covered so I'll patiently wait for E3.

Sadist

joedick said:
Didn't they just release the Q2 release list recently? Don't expect any NA dates from tonight.

Personally, I'm not expecting much. But I like watching the meltdowns here, so stay up and watch it if you'd like.
For Q2 yes. But after investor meetings Nintendo always publishes a list with titles they are planning to release this year. Well, most of the time. Nintendo trolled their own releaselist because Kirby was on that list for about four years lol.

And I'm going to bed. I'll wake up in the morning here in Holland around 8:00 AM. Some breakfast, glass of milk... mmmm

Vinci said:
Um... Cafe is not the Wii. I agree with your comment, but I don't think it's applicable to the likely situation we'll be facing with this system.
I think it's likely the thing will get shit third party support again. It's just one of those things

manueldelalas said:
That's what I'm saying. Crysis 2 will be on Xbox 360 and PS3, you won't get any significant graphic upgrade on a PS4/Xbox 3/Wii Cafe console; this isn't the jump from PS2 to PS3, this is the jump from PS3 and PC gaming today, and it's not that impressive.

Just because you've tried to convince yourself otherwise in the past to justify your purchase, doesn't mean you've got to continue doing so in the future.

Crysis 2 at max/1080p is a ridiculous leap ahead of the subHD console iterations. Anyone that had sat infront of a PC to play the game would have the same opinion, clearly, you haven't.

Beth Cyra

CoffeeJanitor said:
I think it's likely the thing will get shit third party support again. It's just one of those things

That will be on the user base.

If it doesn't buy the ports it does get then nope, we will likely see Gamecube or worse support.

Now if Nintendo fan's actually buy some of the better games instead of skipping them, like they did with Silent Hill Shattered Memories (I love this damn game, it was a such a shame it didn't sell more) we will probably get alot more ports, and not in a bad way like we got with Wii.

brain_stew said:
Just because you've tried to convince yourself otherwise in the past to justify your purchase, doesn't mean you've got to continue doing so in the future.

Crysis 2 at max/1080p is a ridiculous leap ahead of the subHD console iterations. Anyone that had sat infront of a PC to play the game would have the same opinion, clearly, you haven't.
I think that depends on what you consider a ridiculous leap.

boyshine

thetrin said:
Really? Have you played Crysis 2 on a PC at max settings? It blows the console versions out of the water.
Isn't the point that most people won't even bother to find out? That they're happy or at least content with what they get on the consoles, so whatever the differences are it doesn't matter? I feel the only time a PC game gets attention is when it's either a PC exclusive (of course), or when the online mode is clearly superior. Never because of graphics.

neptunes

TruePrime said:

If it doesn't buy the ports it does get then nope, we will likely see Gamecube or worse support.

Now if Nintendo fan's actually buy some of the better games instead of skipping them, like they did with Silent Hill Shattered Memories (I love this damn game, it was a such a shame it didn't sell more) we will probably get alot more ports, and not in a bad way like we got with Wii.
Nintendo console ownerS don't have any problems supporting 3rd party titles, it's just that for some odd reason 3rd parties always give a lackluster effort(even after their titles sell well) I see no reason for that to change anytime soon. It boggles
the mind, I know.

If Skyward Sword also becomes a Stream title, then I'm going to be pissed. Technically we only got one console Zelda game this generation for Wii. The only way I'd accept this is if Retro is working on a Zelda Stream game.

watershed

Banned
Okay I've been at work and school all day. What's new? I saw the Nintendo press release and Iwata saying no dice till E3. Someone said something about GTA5? What else have I missed?

rpmurphy

I hope that the system can also transfer OS interface functionality to the controller, so that for example you wouldn't have to pause out of a running game.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I still don't see how a touchscreen enhances gameplay on a console. Not looking forward to pausing a game to look down on a screen.

artwalknoon said:
Okay I've been at work and school all day. What's new? I saw the Nintendo press release and Iwata saying no dice till E3. Someone said something about GTA5? What else have I missed?
Don't expect anything concrete until E3. The current hype train will burn out well before the actual reveal. (Unless, of course, someone leaks information.)

JordanLMiller said:
I think that depends on what you consider a ridiculous leap.

In the console version, shit pops in 5-10 feet away from you at all times. In the PC version, you'll never notice any popin.
The console version doesn't even support global illumination.
The console version isn't even 720p, nevermind 1080p.
The shadows in both console versions are an aliased mess.
Very few dynamic lights cast shadows in the console version, all dynamic lights cast shadows in the PC version.
All shaders are ran at higher precision on PC, as is the HDR lighting.

The upgrade is massive and the Wii version will have all of that, at a better framerate than the 360 version if Nintendo go with a 4770 or better.

boyshine said:
Isn't the point that most people won't even bother to find out? That they're happy or at least content with what they get on the consoles, so whatever the differences are it doesn't matter? I feel the only time a PC game gets attention is when it's either a PC exclusive (of course), or when the online mode is clearly superior. Never because of graphics.

One big reason why a lot of people talk so much about the exclusives is because of how amazing they look over console games. Even games that are not exclusive but have their PC version given special attention like BF3 get this treatment.

jett

D-Member
I wonder what are the chances of the controller having wifi built in, so you can have your Wii2 streaming your games directly to it while you're outside, like you can do with the PSP and some PS3 games.

hyp3rlink

Branduil said:
People seem to be forgetting that the system is backwards compatible. The Wiimote isn't going away.

It may be going away but I don't really see any developers employing the pointer in any FPS either.

How many shooters can I play using the Move on PS3??

Beth Cyra

Jason's Ultimatum said:
If Skyward Sword also becomes a Stream title, then I'm going to be pissed. Technically we only got one console Zelda game this generation for Wii. The only way I'd accept this is if Retro is working on a Zelda Stream game.

No way this happens, at least not unless they pack in a Wii Mote in that package.

SS is built from the ground up to specifically take use of it.

skygt19

Neo Member
The buttons are in the joystick. Depending on which direction you hold it, clicking the stick will press a different button. And there are even more buttons within those buttons depending on the combination of buttons of the two joystick you pressed. And those have buttons within their buttons.

C A F F E I N E C E P T I O N

boyshine

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Which one would that be? Twilight Princess would technically be a GameCube-game, and if Skyward is moved over to Wii2, without a Wii-version at all, then I would say we had none.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
GaryD said:
So what's the chances the 3DS can act as a controller for this new console?
Assuming the rumors are true, almost none, as there's only one analog stick on the 3DS, but two on the Stream's controller.

optimiss

r8a3qd.png

Better?

rpmurphy

Doc Holliday said:
I still don't see how a touchscreen enhances gameplay on a console. Not looking forward to pausing a game to look down on a screen.
Less HUD footprint, less pausing out to manage and view secondary information, etc. It's akin to having two monitors for your PC.

Jason's Ultimatum said:

actually, we haven't had a Wii Zelda

Owzers

boyshine said:

I'm in no way content with current consoles yet i don't want to build a gaming pc from scratch and be the one responsible for making sure it works. I'm very interested to see what Cafe is, whether it's similar to 360/PS3 or "significantly more powerful", i'm hoping for the latter.

TruePrime said:

Not gonna rehash all the points against 3rd parties for this gen so I'll just leave that.

I don't think Silent Hill has ever been a big seller, either. Was this one a particular letdown?

jett

D-Member
optimiss said:
http://i56.tinypic.com/r8a3qd.png[IMG]

Better?[/QUOTE]

god no.

Mock-up artists (and nintendo) should take a cue from the NGP

[IMG]http://dvice.com/assets_c/2011/01/sony-ngp-price-thumb-550xauto-56312.jpg

Beth Cyra

jett said:
god no.

Mock-up artists (and nintendo) should take a cue from the NGP

sony-ngp-price-thumb-550xauto-56312.jpg

I really hope they don't. It may just be me and that is fine, but the NGP looks awful with how close those buttons are to the stick.

civilstrife said:
Expect nothing. We got it all. An official announcement has been made. There won't be anything but leaks until E3.
Well, I'm expecting a few teases like "Capcom is working on a new Monster Hunter for Nintendo 3DS" or something similar.

I'm pretty sure we are done with Cafe until E3, but we still have Wii, Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS. :)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
optimiss said:

That may be the worst idea for a controller I've ever seen. How in the world would you hit the buttons above the left analog stick while playing?

Lots of concerns here:

Console itself
  • I'm thinking that the console will be "marginally" more powerful than the 360, which won't be enough to go head to head with the competition, regain the "hardcore gamers" (as Nintendo themselves said) and third party support. It will just get lots of PS3/360 ports until Sony and MS release their new (much more powerful) consoles in 2013, and we're back to the situation the Wii was in. The whole industry will move on with the product cycle of Sony and MS.
  • Lackluster online. Without a robust online system, it's doomed to fail in its goal to regain "hardcore gamers".
  • Despite being underpowered, still quite expensive because of the expensive controllers and Nintendo's policy to make money from the get-go. All in all, price/power ratio not so favorable.
Controller
  • ergonomic factor and usability. That thing must be huge, and I'm not sure the idea of looking at the controller while gaming is a good one.
  • the usefulness of the screen. Is this really going to be a worthwhile innovation that goes on to become an industry standard, or just a "gimmick" like, say, the microphone in the DS.
  • battery life: with the screen it must suck more juice than normal controllers
  • abandoning motion controls? The mockups and description of the controller don't seem to allow for pointer gaming like with the wiimote. It would be weird if they just let go of the most important thing they got right (imo) last gen. The idea of the wiimote being still compatible with the console, but not being the standard controller is not going to work. It divides the userbase, and I doubt developers will make games that require the wiimote if that's the case.

Lots of doom and gloom, I know. But reading the rumor list those were the things that popped up in my head. Still very much excited though. How can you not be. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom