• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyshine

optimiss said:
r8a3qd.png

Better?
Only lacking the Gizmondo logo.

beef3483

So far, the whole idea of this console bores me. A tablet controller and the typical graphics upgrade that every fucking console has offered stretching back to infinite? If that's it, then no buy. I'm hoping that it ends up being something more than that.

And it would be kind of a shame if motion controls, which were never properly utilized this gen, get forgotten. There was a lot more that could have been done there.

E3 is going to be so rad this year. It could only be topped if Cammy was doing Nintendo's presentation.

I'm not particularly excited about the Cafe/Stream/Wii 2/N6...

I am absolutely giddy about the Nintendo conference thread on GAF this year however.

I got burned by Nintendo way too hard this gen regarding lack of titles that I want to play. If the screen on the controller IS true I'm pretty sure that third party support is going to be similar to third party support on the Wii.

Slayven

Well I was talking with my mom and she mentioned that on the news they said the Wii was going to be discontinued. Now nintendo is going to have to do something now that dirty non gamers think something is brewing.

Beth Cyra

Fernando Rocker said:
Do you guys think that threads about the Xbox 720 and PS4 will be as massive as these Cafe threads?

All hardware threads are huge.

You get people who won't even consider picking it up to come in.

Just look, you have people that have said in this thread alone they won't be picking this up or haven't picked up other Nintendo products yet they will come in and check out the news and be apart of the conversation/hype.

agrajag

Banned
jett said:
god no.

Mock-up artists (and nintendo) should take a cue from the NGP

sony-ngp-price-thumb-550xauto-56312.jpg

Hell no. Look, it's ok for a handheld, because it has to be small and they have to compromise the controls. But for a CONTROLLER, the tiny analog sticks and buttons are unacceptable. It's ok for the controller to be large, as long as it's comfortable to hold and the buttons are placed correctly.

jett

D-Member
optimiss said:
I think that would be way too wide with a 6" screen in it.

I personally don't believe the controller will end up having a 6" screen, despite all the rumors. It's a ludicrous size for a controller. The mockup in the OP would be a bigger monstrosity than the NGP if that screen size turns out to be true.

Zeal

Banned
NGP is the slickest, most practical looking portable ever, imho. anyway, i don't know why people keep posting these bogus mockups, when it's pretty much been confirmed that the system supports at least eight physical buttons.

been saying it from day one, but i still expect the controller to look very similar to the NGP.

neoanarch

TruePrime said:
All hardware threads are huge.

You get people who won't even consider picking it up to come in.

Just look, you have people that have said in this thread alone they won't be picking this up or haven't picked up other Nintendo products yet they will come in and check out the news and be apart of the conversation/hype.

I'll never understand why someone would come into a megathread just to tell nobody how they won't be buying a product that is a year away from the market,

Fernando Rocker said:
Do you guys think that threads about the Xbox 720 and PS4 will be as massive as these Cafe threads?

Depends. If rumors leak first and we're left hanging for a month or more until E3 or some other event like this then yes. I do think interest will be higher since we're all expecting them to at least be better and stronger than wii 2, if not by a crushing amount then at least a modest amount.

For me it all depends on how much they sell out. If MS is going to be pushing kinect as the main selling point like they are now then they can fuck off. I figure Sony will at least try to appease both crowds.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
rpmurphy said:
Less HUD footprint, less pausing out to manage and view secondary information, etc. It's akin to having two monitors for your PC.

Who plays games on 2 monitors? And even with monitors they are on the same plane compared to a controller and a screen. You still have to pause to look at your controller, so what's the point? I mean who wants to look down to switch while weapons fighting shit.

optimiss

651yr7.png

Of course I play games lol. The last controller Nintendo put out had only 2 main accessible buttons in it's simplest form. With the nun-chuck that went up to 4. Here you have 2 triggers and 2 buttons easily accessible on the right side. 4 buttons is plenty especially when paired with a touch screen. Nintendo is all about simplifying the gaming experience. Anyone who thinks project cafe is gonna have a thousand buttons is missing part of the point of having a touch sensitive lcd screen.

Beth Cyra

neoanarch said:
I'll never understand why someone would come into a megathread just to tell nobody how they won't be buying a product that is a year away from the market,

Don't get it myself. Then again I always own all console's so it really seems pointless to me.

However most are cool about it and don't troll so why not. Sides it keeps things from going to far down hype road sometimes.

I also don't buy the whole less time pausing thing. While looking down at the controller you're basically pausing. In fact the game better pause when I'z be lookin' down.

ksamedi

Doesn't the sensor bar in the controller pretty much confirm pointer control support? Why else put a sensor in there.

There are some problems I foresee with the screen in controller setup, though. It can be used as a second screen only when playing in front of a TV. When you start to stream the game to the controller, the screen will be used already, so any innovative uses of the second screen would disappear. I suspect that not every game will support the streaming function.

Rubixcuba

Banned
The lack of any pointer device/motion capability is a real concern, as others have said it doesn't appear to make sense to abandon motion control especially when Nintendo bought it to mass market appeal in the first place.

So is it confirmed whether or not they're leasing controllers without screens that still have the dual analogs and whatnot? Controllers are expensive enough right now.

watershed

Banned
optimiss said:
651yr7.png

Of course I play games lol. The last controller Nintendo put out had only 2 main accessible buttons in it's simplest form. With the nun-chuck that went up to 4. Here you have 2 triggers and 2 buttons easily accessible on the right side. 4 buttons is plenty especially when paired with a touch screen. Nintendo is all about simplifying the gaming experience. Anyone who thinks project cafe is gonna have a thousand buttons is missing part of the point of having a touch sensitive lcd screen.

I know I was just joking. But if this controller is as big as it looks I don't think people will be able to use the analogs and the triggers at the same time. They look very far apart. Also I still don't see how those button placements are meant to be practical. I mean can you imagine making mario jump by pressing one of those tiny nubs? And I don't think the touchscreen will replace the buttons I think it will do menu stuff, some touch gaming stuff like the ds but the controller will still offer a full button layout (8 or more) for traditional controls.

swerve

One thing which irritates me about this sort of speculative thread is that the sources are all mixed level, and with their own take on the information themselves.

The truth of the matter is that this information is accurate at a high level, filtered at a slightly lower level, interpreted at a lower still level, twisted by own enthusiasm for Nintendo at a 3rd party level, and then exaggerated/twisted at a journalistic level.

The source of 'regain the hardcore', 'no gimmicks', and all the other quotes could be senior management at NCL, but it could equally and more likely be a product manager at NOA, or it could a developer's fanboy friend who works in localization testing at NOE, or most likely the personal opinion of an enthusiastic/unenthusiastic developer.

LaneDS

SteveWinwood said:
Is this how you're supposed to hold it? Because yeah thats not going to work.

Haha oh man I was just going to ask if someone could make a mock-up of someone using that mock-up. Well played.

jett

D-Member
Zeal said:
NGP is the slickest, most practical looking portable ever, imho. anyway, i don't know why people keep posting these bogus mockups, when it's pretty much been confirmed that the system supports at least eight physical buttons.

been saying it from day one, but i still expect the controller to look very similar to the NGP.

Yeah. Nintendo fans would be lucky to get a controller half as slick looking as the NGP. I suspect that the Cafe controller will have NGP-like form factor like you, unless Nintendo throws a curveball our way. I can't believe they would abandon their remote control altogether.

defferoo

brain_stew said:
In the console version, shit pops in 5-10 feet away from you at all times. In the PC version, you'll never notice any popin.
The console version doesn't even support global illumination.
The console version isn't even 720p, nevermind 1080p.
The shadows in both console versions are an aliased mess.
Very few dynamic lights cast shadows in the console version, all dynamic lights cast shadows in the PC version.
All shaders are ran at higher precision on PC, as is the HDR lighting.

The upgrade is massive and the Wii version will have all of that, at a better framerate than the 360 version if Nintendo go with a 4770 or better.
as much as I agree with you that the PC version is superior, the average consumer cannot tell the difference. Things like higher precision shaders, certain objects casting shadows, global illumination mean nothing to them. all they see is high poly, nicely textured models with some cool effects. they'll be too busy enjoying the game to see the difference. hell, even while watching comparison videos, i have a hard time seeing many noteworthy differences between the console and PC versions.

ksamedi

SteveWinwood said:
gA2cL.png

Not that I like the controller mockup but no controller support the setup you propose. When using dual analog, you use the trigger buttons and not the face buttons.

watershed

Banned
swerve said:
One thing which irritates me about this sort of speculative thread is that the sources are all mixed level, and with their own take on the information themselves.

The truth of the matter is that this information is accurate at a high level, filtered at a slightly lower level, interpreted at a lower still level, twisted by own enthusiasm for Nintendo at a 3rd party level, and then exaggerated/twisted at a journalistic level.

The source of 'regain the hardcore', 'no gimmicks', and all the other quotes could be senior management at NCL, but it could equally and more likely be a product manager at NOA, or it could a developer's fanboy friend who works in localization testing at NOE, or most likely the personal opinion of an enthusiastic/unenthusiastic developer.

Well you shouldn't let it irritate you. Its all just talk until Nintendo confirms it so just take everything with vast quantities of salt. :)

Glass Joe

optimiss said:

Touch screen buttons aren't intuitive though. You HAVE to look at the controller because there's no feeling to them (unless they overcome that somehow). Plus, if a big feature has the games streaming to the actual controller screen, regular buttons like the 3DS has becomes more ideal. You don't want to cover up the action with your thumb/fingers. Play a few iPhone games and you'll see why it's just not as satisfying.

I'd been scratching my head how this is backward compatible with the Wii and had a "duh" moment. It'll be compatible the same way GC is compatible with the Wii. It'll play past games with the existing Wii controller, but that functionality doesn't have to be applied to the new pad.

swerve

artwalknoon said:
Well you shouldn't let it irritate you. Its all just talk until Nintendo confirms it so just take everything with vast quantities of salt. :)

Irritates was perhaps the wrong word. I find it twists the conversation away from the more reliable bits of information and the discussion of ideas and its potential, and towards the 'drama' of the console wars and politics.

optimiss

SteveWinwood said:
gA2cL.png

Of course not. When do you ever use dual analog and press face buttons at the same time? You dont on XBOX or PS3 or anything other system. I imagine you would hold it like every other dual analog controller ever made:

29nxlag.png

RPGCrazied

Can't we all just wait a month to see how it looks? Surely they will have at least a rough look of how it'll look. I mean, if playable games are going to be shown, you can believe they will show us what the console looks like. Some of these mocks up would never work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom