• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpmurphy

Doc Holliday said:
Who plays games on 2 monitors? And even with monitors they are on the same plane compared to a controller and a screen. You still have to pause to look at your controller, so what's the point? I mean who wants to look down to switch while weapons fighting shit.
I mean having two monitors on the PC for general use. It's basically a necessity for people who use multiple applications on the screen at the same time because you don't have to resize or move around windows or alt-tab constantly. Same idea can be applied to games that extensively use menu navigation for functions such as inventory management, maps, stats, etc. Why pause the game when you can just glance down and come back to the game in one second flat?

neoanarch

You would be a fool to take a mockup as gospel at this point. Even if they actually saw the unit, its probably a prototype and will only resemble the layout in its final form. I for one think there is too much fat on the mockup to be ever released.

1303503627-01net-cafe-d93r.jpg

from the op

Antagon

optimiss said:
Of course not. When do you ever use dual analog and press face buttons at the same time? You dont on XBOX or PS3 or anything other system. I imagine you would hold it like every other dual analog controller ever made:

29nxlag.png

The distance between the sticks and shoulder buttons is too large though, no way that that would be comfortable.

optimiss

-Pyromaniac- said:
They also totally ignore the mother flucking OP which has a perfectly fine mock up that is probably 10 times more accurate.

Nintendo is not gonna have a giant ass controller like the mock-up in the OP. All these subsequent mock-ups are trying to figure out the specific details of how Nintendo could finesse a big touch screen and traditional controls into a compact for factor that doesn't look ridiculous and cumbersome. It is fun to come up with ideas. Don't get your panties in a wad.

brain_stew said:
Just because you've tried to convince yourself otherwise in the past to justify your purchase, doesn't mean you've got to continue doing so in the future.

Crysis 2 at max/1080p is a ridiculous leap ahead of the subHD console iterations. Anyone that had sat infront of a PC to play the game would have the same opinion, clearly, you haven't.

This is easy to say because GAF seems to consist of either a) people who have never seen a high end PC or b) unabashed PC evangelists.

I finished Crysis 2 on the 360 and now I'm about 2/3 of the way through on the PC, playing with enthusiast settings at 1080p, and I have a hard time calling it a "ridiculous leap." My left eye isn't quite as good as my right eye, but I visited an opthalmologist recently and I definitely don't need glasses.

It looks a damn sight better, but it's not a "ridiculous" difference. A ridiculous difference, to me, is going from standard PSOne fare to Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast. That blew my mind.

Brain Stew, you seem like a pretty cool guy who knows his shit when it comes to PCs, but virtually everything you say about the console/PC distinction seems to be steeped in hyperbole.

Then again, maybe this is just a difference in opinion . . .

[thread detour complete]

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ha, I'm in a cab right now and they just had a story on the new Nintendo system on the Eyewitness News on the touchscreen TV.

Not sure I've ever seen an announcement of an announcement for a console on local television news before.

Green Scar said:
Yeah, like the fact that most people use toilets to deposit poop, rather than smearing it on the logo of consoles.
That's a coffee stain, sir. A coffee stain. From a grown, working class man.

Ok, I don't know where I'm going with this now...

optimiss

Antagon said:
The distance between the sticks and shoulder buttons is too large though, no way that that would be comfortable.

Yeah, might be. What are the dimensions of a 6" widescreen lcd? 3.5"x5"?

watershed

Banned
TekkenMaster said:
anyone want to place bets on what Retro is working on?

I say HD Metroid or Starfox

I would love for Retro to do an HD metriod but I'd like them to change the formula/game mechanics a bit. The three prime games were great but now I'm tired of locking on and strafing in circles. Make some even bigger environments and have me exploring full planets in glorious HD!

Zee-Row

Banned
I wish Nintendo wouldn't try so hard to innovate their controllers. It always comes out forced and unnecessary.
ps3controller.jpg

xbox-360-controller-recovers-stolen-console.jpg

Whats wrong with these? I thought these were OK , i wish companies would just focus on just putting in more RAM and processing power. I just see the gimmick of the screen controller getting old quickly like the Wii remote did.

watershed

Banned
MetatronM said:
Ha, I'm in a cab right now and they just had a story on the new Nintendo system on the Eyewitness News on the touchscreen TV.

Not sure I've ever seen an announcement of an announcement for a console on local television news before.
That's how big Nintendo is, that's how many potential consumers there are for the cafe. All Nintendo has to do is rope 'em in.

Zee-Row said:
I wish Nintendo wouldn't try so hard to innovate their controllers. It always comes out forced and unnecessary.

Whats wrong with these? I thought these were OK , i wish companies would just focus on just putting in more RAM and processing power. I just see the gimmick of the screen controller getting old quickly like the Wii remote did.

Because doing exactly what your competitors does is a sure fire way to lose money...

TunaLover said:
It's real?

No.

artwalknoon said:
I would love for Retro to do an HD metriod but I'd like them to change the formula/game mechanics a bit. The three prime games were great but now I'm tired of locking on and strafing in circles. Make some even bigger environments and have me exploring full planets in glorious HD!
Retro should work on

SMASH.

Their polish and attention to detail would be so good for this franchise.

Zee-Row, you serious brah? If Nintendo didn't make moves the industry would remain stagnant and there would be no reason to own consoles outside of exclusives.

neoanarch

Zee-Row said:

let me see

wireless
4 face buttons
shoulder buttons
d-pad
all Nintendo "innovations'

Zee-Row said:
http://www.ps3controller.org/ps3controller.jpg
http://walyou.com/img/xbox-360-controller-recovers-stolen-console.jpg

There's not much wrong with the second controller -- barre the fact I needed to purchase charge packs for the two I own.

As for the first one -- non removable rechargeable battery, D-pad needs swapping with left analog, L2 and R2 suck, the handles aren't comfortable, its too light and it isn't ergonomically pleasing to the hands, its a lazy rehash of a controller from 1997.

WillyFive

Zee-Row said:

Because we already played with them. Why should we stay with the same thing forever and a day?

Why should we keep playing with a Dual Shock controller (which was uncomfortable in 1998 (they just stuck in two analog sticks to a controller that wasn't designed for it), and even more now), when we can have something new and better later?

Putting in more RAM and processing power is a boring thing to do, if you don't keep bringing new things in, it will be the same thing every generation, and people are going to get tired of it. The Wii remote didn't get old either, since it is now standard with one PSK SKU and so is the Kinect.

gimz

elrechazao said:
That controller seems like a 3ds. I wonder how hard it would be to give it a ds slot. Might be a huge selling point.
my guess
- Wii 2 fully connect to 3DS (or if they have other 3DS family in the future)
- 3DS as an controller
- Playing DS/3DS titles on big screen with Wii2 with the touch screen on the controller (like Gameboy player for Gamecube)
- Speaker and Mic on the controller
- Support Wiimote
- wireless controller but still need to be attach to the end of wiimote (LOL)

oh and i think there will be a function of sharing one game on Wii2, and you can download the game to your 3DS on the go

watershed

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:
Retro should work on

SMASH.

Their polish and attention to detail would be so good for this franchise.

Hmm, I feel like Melee was the best Smash so that team should just do it again. I think Retro would be wasted on an experience that doesn't have a narrative or a deep sense of immersion or an amazing technical showcase.

I'm not saying Smash can't be a great technical showcase (online that works first plz) but its such a schmorgesborg of styles that seems to negate Retro's clear, crisp visual concepts.

I think F-Zero, Star Fox, Metroid, and Zelda would all be amazing. All could be technical showcases for the Cafe.

TunaLover

Zee-Row said:
You're crazy sir, pointer controls bring new life to on-rail shothers, and precise-quick movement in FPSs.

Zee-Row

Banned
AceBandage said:
Because doing exactly what your competitors does is a sure fire way to lose money...

No.

My argument really is that Nintendo made the Wii because they wanted gaming to be simple for casuals , well putting a freaking touch screen on a controller is going to freak out the causals even more than the amount of buttons a 360 or PS3 controller has. I always thought that those controllers had the right balance of simplicity when it came to all types of games.

Zee-Row said:
My argument really is that Nintendo made the Wii because they wanted gaming to be simple for casuals , well putting a freaking touch screen on a controller is going to freak out the causals even more than the amount of buttons a 360 or PS3 controller has. I always thought that those controllers had the right balance of simplicity when it came to all types of games.

Yeah, because casuals don't already have touchscreens on their phones and every Apple product...

radioheadrule83 said:
There's not much wrong with the second controller -- barre the fact I needed to purchase charge packs for the two I own.

As for the first one -- non removable rechargeable battery, D-pad needs swapping with left analog, L2 and R2 suck, the handles aren't comfortable, its too light and it isn't ergonomically pleasing to the hands, its a lazy rehash of a controller from 1997.
Yup....360's pad is damn near perfect besides the bumpers. DS3 is a very uncomfortable controller, at least for me.

Teknoman

Zee-Row said:
ps3controller.jpg

xbox-360-controller-recovers-stolen-console.jpg

Always? The only recent Nintendo controller that was totally different was the wiimote, and even then, others jump onto that design.

nes-controller-1vc9-460.jpg

snes-controller.jpg

n64controller.jpg

315VCP3ATSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

-viper-

Banned
optimiss said:
Of course not. When do you ever use dual analog and press face buttons at the same time? You dont on XBOX or PS3 or anything other system. I imagine you would hold it like every other dual analog controller ever made:

29nxlag.png
bpAYJ.jpg

Emitan

CoffeeJanitor said:
Yup....360's pad is damn near perfect besides the bumpers. DS3 is a very uncomfortable controller, at least for me.
The horrible D-Pad ruins the entire thing. And they're so cheap. I've had three controllers that had broken buttons from overuse and fucked up sticks over the past 3.5 years of owning the 360. I still have 4 working N64 controllers.

watershed

Banned
Zee-Row said:

Seriously? In today's world everyone and their grandmother knows how to work a touch screen. Touch screen interfaces are ubiquitious and touch screen gaming is the very definition of casual gaming.

And 2nd, you think the 360 controller and DS3 have "the right balance of simplicity" have you ever handed one of those controllers to a non-gamer and asked them to play an FPS or a 3d platformer or Uncharted or any such game? There really is nothing simple about standard gaming controllers.

WillyFive

Billychu said:
The horrible D-Pad ruins the entire thing. And they're so cheap. I've had three controllers that had broken buttons from overuse and fucked up sticks over the past 3.5 years of owning the 360. I still have 4 working N64 controllers.

I thought the D-Pad was fine. It was the soft buttons that really annoyed me. They didn't feel responsive or tactile at all, they felt broken.

Like those old Dual Shock controllers at Flea Markets where you tried to figure out of the controllers worked based on how the buttons functioned.

Zee-Row

Banned
AceBandage said:
Yeah, because casuals don't already have touchscreens on their phones and every Apple product...
But is Project Cafe's line up going to consist of simple flash games and Angry Birds clones? I don't think console style games sell very well on Apple products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom