• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emitan

Willy105 said:
I thought the D-Pad was fine. It was the soft buttons that really annoyed me. They didn't feel responsive or tactile at all, they felt broken.
How could anyone think th-
Motherfucking dumbshit member
lol

I refuse to play Super Meat Boy on anything but my Classic Controller Pro. That, my misguided friend, is a good D-Pad.

AniHawk

CoffeeJanitor said:
Yup....360's pad is damn near perfect besides the bumpers. DS3 is a very uncomfortable controller, at least for me.
yeah i think it's time sony seriously revises their controller. the 360 controller is pretty great though. that one only needs minimal changes.

Emitan

George said:
So is it worth staying up tonight for that investor thing?
OH GOSH SALES FIGURES I AM DROWNING IN THEM

This isn't Japan Time.

Willy105 said:
Really? Don't be such an infant.

I have no reason to over-exaggerate how bad something is just because everyone else does it too. As far as problems I have had with controllers, the 360 is barely worth mentioning.
I'm not exaggerating. The only controller with a worse D-Pad in recent memory is the Gamecube controller, and that's only because it was so small. It's a flawed design and their "fixed" version doesn't even attempt to fix the real problem.

WillyFive

Billychu said:
How could anyone think th-
lol

Really? Don't be daft.

I have no reason to over-exaggerate how bad something is just because everyone else does it too. As far as problems I have had with controllers, the 360 is barely worth mentioning.

Teknoman

nes-controller-1vc9-460.jpg

snes-controller.jpg

n64controller.jpg

315VCP3ATSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

wii%20remote%20controller%20black.JPG

Just for the next page. Never had any problems with Nintendos control methods, doubt they would start being uncomfortable or messed up now.

artwalknoon said:
Hmm, I feel like Melee was the best Smash so that team should just do it again. I think Retro would be wasted on an experience that doesn't have a narrative or a deep sense of immersion or an amazing technical showcase.

I'm not saying Smash can't be a great technical showcase (online that works first plz) but its such a schmorgesborg of styles that seems to negate Retro's clear, crisp visual concepts.

I think F-Zero, Star Fox, Metroid, and Zelda would all be amazing. All could be technical showcases for the Cafe.
Damn, I thought the same dev team did both Melee and Brawl. Turns out I was wrong. Give it back to HAL!

I would probably give them Star Fox out of those choices. I feel like going through another awesome Retro World, and F-Zero wouldn't let me slow down to enjoy it. Zelda I don't know if I would give to them because it seems like Nintendo would monitor them even closer than usual with that title.

gimz

artwalknoon said:
http://uk.kotaku.com/5795447/nintendos-new-console-playable-by-everyone-at-e3

Kotaku confirms that "playable at E3 means playable by everyone" and not just playable in a stage demo or behind closed doors type thing, if anyone was worried about that being the case. Now truly, we will have gamer stampedes!
*Imagining
because they assume everyone will have their 3DS with them, all they need to do is to release the streaming signal in the press conference hall, everybody can start playing on their 3DS TOGETHER, imagine each person can connect their 3DS and send their mii to WII2 mii plaza, and interactive with hundreds of other mii running around on the huge screen!

neoanarch

My only complaint about the 360 pad is the weight and the shoulder triggers. But I don't think I've ever liked analog shoulder triggers.

Fou-Lu

It still boggles my mind how many people think the 360 pad is perfect. Everyone knows the dpad is shit, but the ABXY buttons are soft to press and damn convex. The bumpers feel cheap as hell and the triggers are no where near as good as the gamecube controller's. Also with the wireless ones the battery pack gets in the way.

EDIT: Wiimote+Nunchuck FTW.

The dual shock and 360 pad are the exact opposite of what I want. Neither of them do anything new for gaming. Ill take Wiimote any day of the week over them. The last thing the consoles need are stagnated controller designs, so thank goodness nintendo tends to add new additions that actually encourage fresh game design.

-viper-

Banned
Gamecube and N64 controllers were terrible.

I dislike the analog sticks of the Nintendo controllers. They seem to be octagon shape.

They are not smooth like the sticks on the DS3.

AniHawk

Big One said:
Yes, yes it is you fool
last year they didn't reveal anything except wii party. i'm still thinking they'll either show off the system itself and/or the controller, but i wouldn't expect something groundbreaking- just whatever they might think people might react to negatively.

WillyFive

-viper- said:

I dislike the analog sticks of the Nintendo controllers. They seem to be octagon shape.

I didn't like that about the Dual Shock controllers. Their analog sticks are entirely round, so you feel no feedback from changing directions when you move the stick around at full tilt.

Teknoman

N64 controller looked strange, but worked great. I will say I wish they brought back the Super Nintendo font for this system, especially if its supposed to look like a modernized SNES.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
abstract alien said:
The dual shock and 360 pad are the exact opposite of what I want. Neither of them do anything new for gaming. Ill take Wiimote any day of the week over them. The last thing the consoles need are stagnated controller designs, so thank goodness nintendo tends to add new additions that actually encourage fresh game design.

hear hear! agree 100%. i count on nintendo to keep things interesting from a design perspective and spark my imagination, not keep in step with what is expected. even still, the radical nature of their controller progression has never shocked me so much that i didn't instantly love a controller once i put it in my hands. they all are right at home in the human hands.

watershed

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:
Damn, I thought the same dev team did both Melee and Brawl. Turns out I was wrong. Give it back to HAL!

I would probably give them Star Fox out of those choices. I feel like going through another awesome Retro World, and F-Zero wouldn't let me slow down to enjoy it. Zelda I don't know if I would give to them because it seems like Nintendo would monitor them even closer than usual with that title.
Yeah HAL Labs did an amazing job with Melee in fact I still play it now and again. It will go down as one of the best local multiplayer experiences of all time.

Star Fox from Retro would be cool but then who would do HD Metroid? I want that isolating, lonely, quiet immersive feel from landing on a strange planet but this time in HD and with an even bigger, more realistic areas. Can you imagine the water effects, the snow, the sand storms and the rain in HD, water running off your visor....chills just thinking about it.

Davey Cakes

-viper- said:

Disagreed on all fronts. Though the N64 controller took some getting used to. The GC one is really comfortable.

I like that the analog sticks have the hexagon shape. You can still rotate just fine, but when you need to lock the stick in a certain direction, you can. It's a small compromise to lose some smoothness in favor of added directional control, in my opinion.

antonz

AniHawk said:
last year they didn't reveal anything except wii party. i'm still thinking they'll either show off the system itself and/or the controller, but i wouldn't expect something groundbreaking- just whatever they might think people might react to negatively.
Yeah I expect something from the conference but nothing earth shattering. They seem to be going the seeing is believing route again for whatever the main draw is so not muich they can get across in a investors meeting

Ichor said:
It still boggles my mind how many people think the 360 pad is perfect. Everyone knows the dpad is shit, but the ABXY buttons are soft to press and damn convex. The bumpers feel cheap as hell and the triggers are no where near as good as the gamecube controller's. Also with the wireless ones the battery pack gets in the way.

EDIT: Wiimote+Nunchuck FTW.
It is very, very comfortable to hold. As is the cube's controller. And the wiimote-nunchuk setup.

Emitan

First Children said:
It could be an empty shell, battery powered, only for showing purposes. But people here think it's fake because of some error in another image (that could still be legit).
It's the box that Windows software comes in repainted. It's fake.

watershed

Banned
antonz said:
Yeah I expect something from the conference but nothing earth shattering. They seem to be going the seeing is believing route again for whatever the main draw is so not muich they can get across in a investors meeting

I think its more they want all the attention and press at E3 so they don't want to spill any details now.

pringles

-viper- said:

Love the Gamecube controller, easily the most comfortable "standard" controller ever. My only problem with it is the C-stick, it should have just been the same as the main stick.

The N64 controller was fine for it's time. In games like SM64 and Ocarina Of Time it was and still is brilliant.

-viper-

Banned
beelzebozo said:
hear hear! agree 100%. i count on nintendo to keep things interesting from a design perspective and spark my imagination, not keep in step with what is expected. even still, the radical nature of their controller progression has never shocked me so much that i didn't instantly love a controller once i put it in my hands. they all are right at home in the human hands.
I've tried Wii mote. I've tried Move. I've tried Kinect. And I think they're fun for a while but the novelty quickly wears off.

It's more of a hassle to use those peripherals than using a controller. It's so much more easier and comfortable to use a pad than to use motion controls. Besides, when I play games with motion controls, I suck. I was getting raped in KZ3 when I used the move, but when I tried the pad, it felt far, far easier.

Glass Joe

-viper- said:

Eh, I'm not huge on the PS sticks, when compared to Microsoft's and Nintendo's. They feel a little loose or somehow imprecise.

I'll agree with the Gamecube: it was comfortable but the face buttons were awkward and the C-Stick was a mistake (should have been a regular analog).

N64 in hindsight was a goofy controller. It was a transitional controller that was too complex for it's own good.

artwalknoon said:
Yeah HAL Labs did an amazing job with Melee in fact I still play it now and again. It will go down as one of the best local multiplayer experiences of all time.

Star Fox from Retro would be cool but then who would do HD Metroid? I want that isolating, lonely, quiet immersive feel from landing on a strange planet but this time in HD and with an even bigger, more realistic areas. Can you imagine the water effects, the snow, the sand storms and the rain in HD, water running off your visor....chills just thinking about it.
Just don't give it to the original devs, their vision of the series is poop. Not that M:OM is a bad game, but compared to the Primes?

Maybe hand it over to the Galaxy team or something? They would probably make a near-perfect iteration, 2D, 3D, whatever.

And I was actually envisioning another Star Fox Adventures when I suggested that....I guess that's kind of getting into Zelda territory right there.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
-viper- said:
I've tried Wii mote. I've tried Move. I've tried Kinect. And I think they're fun for a while but the novelty quickly wears off.

It's more of a hassle to use those peripherals than using a controller. It's so much more easier and comfortable to use a pad than to use motion controls. Besides, when I play games with motion controls, I suck. I was getting raped in KZ3 when I used the move, but when I tried the pad, it felt far, far easier.

yeah, i should say, it's wii remote + nunchuk of which i speak. THAT makes the most sense to me. when i'm playing mario galaxy 2 and i wang that wii remote all over the place to make mario spin around and jump higher, it just makes absolute sense. one of the most comfortable, cool controllers ever made.

mclem

Random, out-of-the-blue thought: iPlayer streaming direct to the handset. That's a killer app right there for some households.

The wiimote nunchuck combo is the ONLY
ONLY
combo that lets me play a game with my arms crossed under the blanket.
Set a for sword instead of waggle, just sit back like you dont care with arms folded and play Zelda 'Ironically'

First Children said:
It could be an empty shell, battery powered, only for showing purposes. But people here think it's fake because of some error in another image (that could still be legit).
I tend to think it's fake because it looks like shit and does not fit with Nintendo's design philosophy as of late.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I always thought it was stupid that the GCN controller had less buttons than the N64 controller.

Fou-Lu

CoffeeJanitor said:
It is very, very comfortable to hold. As is the cube's controller. And the wiimote-nunchuk setup.

This is true, 360 pad is comfortable to hold, however I actually need to use those buttons, not just hold the controller. Still the sticks are nice at least.

Teknoman

CoffeeJanitor said:
Just don't give it to the original devs, their vision of the series is poop. Not that M:OM is a bad game, but compared to the Primes?

Maybe hand it over to the Galaxy team or something? They would probably make a near-perfect iteration, 2D, 3D, whatever.

And I was actually envisioning another Star Fox Adventures when I suggested that....I guess that's kind of getting into Zelda territory right there.

I'd like to see two more third person Metroid titles. 3DS or Super Wii will do.

EDIT: I'm thinking motion controls of some sort are here to stay though.

antonz

artwalknoon said:
I think its more they want all the attention and press at E3 so they don't want to spill any details now.
I think its more than that though. We can see how people react to just the idea of a tablet based controller around here. Quite a few are open minded to see what it actually is then you get the people adamant its gonna be off the wall stupid.

Its easier for Nintendo to avoid talking the "controversial" details until people can get the thing in their hands. Once people can interact with it directly the hype train will move full steam ahead.

Why do you think Sony got out of the trains path and decided to start a day early ;)

watershed

Banned
antonz said:
I think its more than that though. We can see how people react to just the idea of a tablet based controller around here. Quite a few are open minded to see what it actually is then you get the people adamant its gonna be off the wall stupid.

Its easier for Nintendo to avoid talking the "controversial" details until people can get the thing in their hands. Once people can interact with it directly the hype train will move full steam ahead.

Why do you think Sony got out of the trains path and decided to start a day early ;)

Yeah that's true and most gamers/reporters are hyped up and in a good mood for E3 anyways so the online reports have a better chance of being net positive. Plus lots of videos of people making fools of themselves swinging s 6" screen around. Face Raiders 2, BELIEVE!

theBishop

Banned
Branduil said:
The dual shock analogs are atrocious. Poor grip, travel distance, and placement.

Man, i couldnt disagree more about the sticks. I think theyre the best sticks to date. I hate the spongy triggers, but i love the sticks.

I suspect this is why sony doesnt screw with the formula.

Beth Cyra

artwalknoon said:

People might want to reconsider Retro for HD Metroid if this is what they want.

Regardless of people';s opinion of Other M it was Prime 3 thst went more action, giving us a Halo esk opening and extra side characters. There is no way to know if they would take a Prime 1 or Prime 3 approach.

That saidI don't want them to have Metroid. Love Other M and I want to see a future game that takes place after Fusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom