• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gin said:
did a quick search on gaf and didnt see this yet..

for the wii2 - who do you think nintendo's alliance is with ?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/26/nintendo-idUSL3E7FQ06Z20110426
Good find. As to your question I have no idea.

Iwata said:
"Now I am aware that we should not rely too much on ourselves. You will see what I mean by this when we market the 3DS and the Wii in the future."
That's very interesting. I thought the Wii's advertising was done extremely well. But then maybe they were diverting too many resources that way? Who knows.

mj1108

neptunes said:
A new and tendy marketing company?

What conpany was in charge of nintendo's advertsing during the GC era?the one that coined the phrase "is in you"?

The US advertising was done by Golin Harris, if I'm not mistaken. I don't know if they're still doing it now, though.

Game-Biz

If they have Valve in anyway involved with their online system for Project Cafe I would blackout. No way that's going to happen. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little hard thinking about it.

watershed

Banned
mj1108 said:
Sounds like they're willing to break open the bank for some exclusives.

Yes, Nintendo is still sitting on mountains of money, they should start putting it to good use moving into the online space, getting 3rd party support, and maybe even advancing their multimedia capabilities. Or he just means more Beyonce and Pheebie commercials...

GDGF said:
I could see this happening. Maybe Valve is handling nintendo's online presence. Maybe their new E store. I guess we would find out about that in May.
That would be too good to be true.

TF3 for the Coffee machine?

Krowley

-Pyromaniac- said:
lol he says:

as if the wii was a huge flop

I like this though, because it shows they know the lack of third party support is one of the main things hurting the system at the moment. And, more importantly, it suggests they're really bothered by it, and intend to make sure it doesn't plague them the same way in the future.

GDGF said:
I could see this happening. Maybe Valve is handling nintendo's online presence. Maybe their new E store. I guess we would find out about that in May.
That is my very thought. Run it on steam servers with steam backend, but maintain a different user database, and maybe a Valve developed thin-client on the front end/in the OS.

Money would have to change hands at start-up, but it would be win-win for both Nintendo and Valve.

CoffeeJanitor said:
That used to be my home board waaaaaaaaay back in the revolution days. IGN was still good and the boards weren't shit. Good times.

Same for me as well. When I read the article giving the IGN editors early impressions on the rumors, I knew I hadn't read an article in awhile there when the only name I recognized was Hilary's and he was still the "new guy" back then. I also didn't know Matt, Bozon, and Craig were gone until it was mentioned in the previous megathread.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Peasant Princess-King said:
Are we expecting new info tonight?

Not really.

Maybe the odd general tidbit but no specifics, the press-release was ss completely vague that they obviously want a proper demo and public hands-on as the way to announce it.

Even Nikkei don't have anything to add so far.

neptunes

mj1108 said:
The US advertising was done by Golin Harris, if I'm not mistaken. I don't know if they're still doing it now, though.
Are you sure it was just Golin Harris? I remember them having a different name, bah w/e all I remember was that name also being a user pass combination for nintendo's e3 press site.

Edit: Valve and nintendo? Come on guys that article was pretty easy to understand.

M74

You guys, Iwata is clearly talking about MARKETING, not 3rd party developments. Unless that's just a bad translation by Reuters.

Edit: And that's not a positive sign. He thinks the Wii's puttering out and not reaching its fullest potential was due to advertising? It's called "software", Mr. Iwata; first and third party titles must learn to coexist.

JABEE

I think a lot of the time you judge a product based on its growth and meeting its highest potential. I think that Iwata thinks the Wii could have been even bigger with more reliance on outside firms.

AniHawk

civilstrife said:
There'll be nothing of note.

...probably.
last year they just talked about 3ds being at e3, certain things about smg2, and revealed wii party.

i don't think they did anything except talk about the third party situation at the one two years ago.

the revolution/wii casing wasn't shown off until right before e3 2005. so maybe we aren't going to see the system itself. i think the wii's name was revealed at the investor meeting in 2006 though, so who knows.

watershed

Banned
Krowley said:
I like this though, because it shows they know the lack of third party support is one of the main things hurting the system at the moment. And, more importantly, it suggests they're really bothered by it, and intend to make sure it doesn't plague them the same way in the future.

yeah what I noticed in those comments was a hint of future proofing maybe not in terms of tech but at least in relationships.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
shadyspace said:
Uh.... I thought the investor meeting already happened, which is where we got the official announcement from.

The report was released yesterday in Japan, with some comments from Iwata about it, but the actual meeting is in just under 3 hours.

Polari

Dissonance said:
I'm gonna throw magazine racks over if we can't transfer our VC and WiiWare games.

I imagine Nintendo will offer a free download on Wiiware which will sync the contents of your Wii with your Stream/Cafe/whatever user account. You'll only be able to tie the contents of the Wii to one user account though of course.

antonz

M74 said:
You guys, Iwata is clearly talking about MARKETING, not 3rd party developments. Unless that's just a bad translation by Reuters.
I think something getting lost in translation is the likely thing. Marketing for the Wii was very successful there is no way to say it was bad. The failure of the Wii was Nintendo being unable to get 3rd party support

shadyspace said:
Uh.... I thought the investor meeting already happened, which is where we got the official announcement from.

That was a different, smaller conference, timed to coincide with the release of the annual results. The full Iwata presentation and Q&A is in under three hours, as is (I believe) the full annual report itself.

But I wouldn't expect any substantive Cafe news from there. What news there is will be about Wii and 3DS, most likely with a focus on the eShop launch.

methodman

Banned
civilstrife said:
Guys. Valve is not doing the online for this thing.

Reign them expectations in, people.

Reign 'em in.
Valve is doing the online and half life 3 is the pack in game with every console. Fuck a wii sports

AniHawk said:
last year they just talked about 3ds being at e3, certain things about smg2, and revealed wii party.

i don't think they did anything except talk about the third party situation at the one two years ago.

the revolution/wii casing wasn't shown off until right before e3 2005. so maybe we aren't going to see the system itself. i think the wii's name was revealed at the investor meeting in 2006 though, so who knows.
But they literally just announced this console today.

If they wanted to tell us the name, or anything substantial, they'd have done it already.

Hiltz

Why would Valve handle Nintendo's online service or have any part in it ?

I remember when Valve showed interest in wanting to make a Wii title but never did. :(

Kandinsky

I was sure nothing was going to happen this year regarding WiiHD, let alone this month/E3, I'm SHOCKED, wow.

PSO2, 4Swords2 and especially FFCC2 please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom