• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistle

JABEE said:
Where will the video stream be found?
Just quoting this for the new page.

I doubt we'll get much info at all, but considering it's the afternoon in Australia I might as well watch it.

Jaruru

rpmurphy said:
That looks more like wireless/download play for the DS/3DS to me...

same thought here. but some articles said there won't be CPU on controller, so it can't be played alone (without the CAFE itself)... hmmmm

LCGeek

formerly sane
Ickman3400 said:
Valve doesn't gain anything helping a competitor with their online unless they're allowed to put Steam on it. They want to get people on PC/Steam, not Nintendo.

They want people one steam more or less which I think we agree upon. Their dealing with sony show that if the timing and development is right they will take a stab. The fact that none of the big 3 have gotten this company's interest longterm from product line alone is more telling. Hopefully next generation valve product can become more console friendly because playing some of their less competitive stuff on console is not a bother and preferred for a pc type like me.

Steam is huge and I find it dumb that none of the big 3 are using this to help centralize their online infratstructure. Unlike most console types steam is much better and allow developers more options long term especially when it comes to modding, dedicated servers, and community compare to any console. Until console catch up in this area online gaming is still a joke in features to me. Let the community and developers in to online centralize it as it needed considering most games are developed from a multiplatform standpoint yet their bases are split from a multiplayer level.

boiled goose

good with gravy
GDGF said:
Looks like that could be happening according to the patent. I can't recall that ever being done before.

EDIT: It has been done before. Cool idea though.

(but of course I could be interpreting that thing all wrong)

it has been done before. even on wii.

rockband.

Well, E3 will be epic to 3DS reveal proportions, that's for sure.

New console, tons of new 3DS software. A (hopefully) much deeper look at Zelda.

It's hard to believe that Nintendo sometimes has really shitty conferences.

If the Stream indeed ends up being as powerful as the 360 and PS3, and not much more, then I think it's fair to say that Pactcher has been vindicated as far as the Wii is concerned. I think he's wrong about the 3DS, but as far as the Wii and Wii HD, he's been right on the money.

He predicted a while ago that the Wii's sales surge will eventually taper off once HDTVs become more popular. And that the smart thing for them to do would be release a Wii HD...

You know frankly, the box isn’t as powerful and anybody who has an HDtv (sic) has to think twice about buying a Wii when they can get a 360 or PS3 for not much more. I think Nintendo is kind of going to continue to fade unless they decide to refresh the box, and as we all know that Wii HD should be coming out next month…

Nintendo-GAF laughed off the idea of Nintendo's decline, or the notion that casual would care about HD visuals, but Nintendo has seen a 67% drop in revenue due to declining wii sales and declining public interest, where as the HD consoles are soaring still, and Nintendo does seem to be releasing a Wii HD (assuming the Stream really is only a notch above the 360).

Also of note..

No, I don't think that Nintendo will strike first in the next console generation; rather, I think that they will strike last in the current console generation. I think that their next console will be on par technologically with the current PS3 and Xbox 360, and don't expect them to advance technology at all with their next offering. They will undoubtedly advance game play, and are likely to further innovate there, but I don't think that the classic term "generation" can be applied to that, if there aren't more pixels and a faster frame rate offered up. Because I don't know what they are going to do, this answer can never be right, so I'll just wait to see it published repeatedly to demonstrate what an idiot I am.

Keep in mind that my early 2009 prediction of a Wii HD expressed my view that Nintendo needed to catch up to the current generation technology, and pre-empt any potential efforts from Microsoft and Sony to introduce motion control schemes of their own. I didn't know for sure in early 2009 that both Microsoft and Sony intended to introduce motion controllers, but suspected that Microsoft was hard at work on it (validated at E3 that year). Once I saw Kinect, I was more certain than before that Nintendo NEEDED to move before the others took too much market share, but as the year wore on, it became clear that they weren't going to do anything in 2009. My view a year ago was that only fools would allow their competitors to steal their market share, and a year ago, I most certainly did not think of Nintendo management as foolish. Hence, I assumed that they would see the imminent threats from Kinect and Move (announced at GDC 2010), and would rush a Wii HD to market by year-end 2010. Again, I was wrong.

The point of this long diatribe is that Nintendo now finds itself in a position of having to play catch up. Kinect and Move will have an installed base of 8 - 10 million by the end of 2010, and a base of 20 - 25 million by the time Nintendo launches its "next" generation console.
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/...advance-technology-at-all-with-wii-successor/

Nintendo-GAF laughed it off yet again, but if these rumors about the Stream's power and graphical capabilities pan out, then he was pretty much dead on the money.

midonnay

what are the chances that the "revolutionary gameplay" that Nintendo is going to show off is....

greater than 4 player local multiplayer?

like an 8 player goldeneye extravaganza with each user having their own personal display?

can the hardware handle it?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
civilstrife said:
Well, E3 will be epic to 3DS reveal proportions, that's for sure.

New console, tons of new 3DS software. A (hopefully) much deeper look at Zelda.

It's hard to believe that Nintendo sometimes has really shitty conferences.

I know right? Seems impossible.

Then again... Wii Music.

Kickass story-focused Skyward Sword trailer is all I ask. :(

Stephen Colbert said:
If the Stream indeed ends up being as powerful as the 360 and PS3, and not much more, then I think it's fair to say that Pactcher has been vindicated as far as the Wii is concerned. I think he's wrong about the 3DS, but as far as the Wii and Wii HD, he's been right on the money.
No, no he is most definitely not. This new console is completely different than just a Wii.

And the PS3 and 360 doing well has a lot more to do with 3rd party support and online than HD. Hell, half the people I know with 360s/PS3s play them on SD TVs.

ReyVGM

Stephen Colbert said:

He predicted a while ago that the Wii's sales surge will eventually taper off once HDTVs become more popular. And that the smart thing for them to do would be release a Wii HD...

Even if this console is on par to the PS3, it's still not "Wii HD". It's a new console, totally different than what the Wii tried to do.

Now, if this console came with another Wiimote and catered to the casuals, then yeah, that would be a Wii HD.

bigpumbaa

Stephen Colbert said:

Nintendo-GAF laughed off the idea of Nintendo's decline, or the notion that casual would care about HD visuals, but Nintendo has seen a 67% drop in revenue due to declining wii sales and declining public interest, where as the HD consoles are soaring still, and Nintendo does seem to be releasing a Wii HD (assuming the Stream really is only a notch above the 360).

Also of note..

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/...advance-technology-at-all-with-wii-successor/

Nintendo-GAF laughed it off yet again, but if these rumors about the Stream's power and graphical capabilities pan out, then he was pretty much dead on the money.

So what you're saying is that Pact-Man was correct in guessing that Nintendo would release a more powerful home console around 5 years after their previous, less powerful home console?

He's definitely a soothsayer that one.

CoffeeJanitor said:
And the PS3 and 360 doing well has a lot more to do with 3rd party support and online than HD. Hell, half the people I know with 360s/PS3s play them on SD TVs.

That doesn't mean anything. I know absolutely NO ONE that still games on an SD TV. Every single one of my gamer friends made the transition to HD gaming years ago.

It doesn't really matter why the PS3 and 360 are selling so well, while the Wii has declined so much, what matters is that this did happen, as predicted. And yes, I do think crappy graphics had everything to do with both loss of consumer interest, poor game sales AND failure to attract third party developers.

So yes, he was right in that accord. Poor graphics and lack of HD graphics, caused loss of third parties, poor game sales and loss of consumer interest.

DarkWish

I don't think there is a video stream, there usually isn't if I remember correctly. The original source saying there was a stream was just some GAF member that claimed it, with nothing to back it up. I think we'll just have liveblogs, just the usual for the investor briefings.

iirate

Stephen Colbert said:

Also of note..

I hope you aren't implying that the Wii was a misstep. Just because it had shorter legs than its competition does not mean that it wasn't the right play. Neither does Nintendo releasing a HD console.

I'm not saying you are, but that your post could be read in such a way. If all you mean is that some Nintendo fans were shortsighted about the Wii's lifespan, then I have no objections.

Emitan

CoffeeJanitor said:
Who plays Zelda for the story? What little there is is just a complete clusterfuck

sorry for being a negative nancy
You're just being honest. If you want story from a Nintendo game, you guys need to wait for muthaflippin Paper Mario 3DS.

big_z

GDGF said:
E3 is going to be so so sweet, yeah.

im excited to see what microsoft will do. it will interesting to see all the nintendo stuff but if all they have is something close to current gen hardware they're already out of the next gen race imo.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
CoffeeJanitor said:
Who plays Zelda for the story? What little there is is just a complete clusterfuck

sorry for being a negative nancy

There's not much of it but it's still the most compelling part of completing the 30-60+ hour games as quickly as possible. Otherwise it's just a puzzle game I could pick up and play whenever.

iirate said:
I hope you aren't implying that the Wii was a misstep. Just because it had shorter legs than its competition does not mean that it wasn't the right play. Neither does Nintendo releasing a HD console.

I'm not saying you are, but that your post could be read in such a way. If all you mean is that some Nintendo fans were shortsighted about the Wii's lifespan, then I have no objections.

I'm implying that underpowering the Wii was a misstep.

Motion controls was a brilliant move, and it saved the Wii.

Underpowering the Wii however, cost them in the long run.

People seem to think that motion controls and an underpowered gpu go hand in hand. They do not. It wasn't neccesary for the Wii to be underpowered. It could have offered up both motion AND good graphics.

If it did that, it would have attracted more third party multiplatform titles, sold better to hardcore gamers and have had much longer legs.

Stephen Colbert said:
That doesn't mean anything. I know absolutely NO ONE that still games on an SD TV. Every single one of my gamer friends made the transition to HD gaming years ago.

It doesn't really matter why the PS3 and 360 are selling so well, while the Wii has declined so much, what matters is that this did happen, as predicted. And yes, I do think crappy graphics had everything to do with both loss of consumer interest, poor game sales AND failure to attract third party developers.

So yes, he was right in that accord. Poor graphics and lack of HD graphics, caused loss of third parties, poor game sales and loss of consumer interest.
It comes down to the games, all of which were on the other platforms. Power may have been a big factor, but I think the fact that the industry wrote off the Wii and didn't give it any support for the majority of its life cycle was the real issue. Not that it matters now.

CoffeeJanitor said:
It comes down to the games, all of which were on the other platforms. Power may have been a big factor, but I think the fact that the industry wrote off the Wii and didn't give it any support for the majority of its life cycle was the real issue. Not that it matters now.

Yes, but the reason multiplatform games didn't show up on the Wii was because it was so underpowered.

The reason so many core gamers wrote off the wii was because it was so underpowered and wasn't getting any of the popular multiplatform gamers.

And the reason the industry wrote off the wii was because third party developers and core gamers wrote off the system.

Stephen Colbert said:
If it did that, it would have attracted more third party multiplatform titles, sold better to hardcore gamers and have had much longer legs.

Yeah, but it wouldn't have sold to everyone else. So, it would have failed.

$$$

CoffeeJanitor said:

They wrote it off because it was incredibly underpowered. If it had been reasonably close to the other HD systems it would have had a lot more 3rd party support. As it stood, many games simply were not possible to do on Wii. The ghostbusters game comes to mind. I don't remember the details, but I think the game Wii got wasn't even the same game as the PS360/PC Ghostbusters game. Most developers weren't about to create alternative versions of their games for Wii. I think the only reason they did it for Ghostbusters was because of motion control.

bigpumbaa said:
So what you're saying is that Pact-Man was correct in guessing that Nintendo would release a more powerful home console around 5 years after their previous, less powerful home console?

He's definitely a soothsayer that one.

No he guessed that the next console would be not much more powerful than the PS3/360.

And he guessed that Nintendo would be forced to release their next console much earlier than the competition because the Wii won't have long legs.

He was definately right on the latter prediction, and we're going to find out (hopefully in the next day) if he was right on the former prediction.

rpmurphy

Stephen Colbert said:

From that quote he's talking about loss of Wii decline from the consumer end due to consumers purchasing HDTV's though. Were those consumers who upgraded to HDTV's lost interest in the Wii simply because it couldn't output in 720p? Probably not for the mass market. It's a different angle from the commonly understood point of view that the Wii's lack of hardware power lost interest for publishers and developers looking to share their game output on multiple platforms, which in turn over time caused the loss of consumer interest in the console that was left out of those games.

Another interesting question would be then, when will the PS3 and 360 peak given the rate of their current ramp up and the emergence of a new generation?

Kandinsky

Operations said:
And that wasn't even their worse conference. Pac-man Vs. anyone? *shivers*
People just remember that bit, but that conference wasnt bad at all, I was just watching it and it was fine, actually it was pretty cool.

MisterHero

Stephen Colbert said:
Yeah it's a real wonder that HD products have gained the public's interest but had nothing to do with the complete exit of SD devices and formats. oh wait

the pace of the HD consoles are brisk but they are still playing catchup from a fair distance

after all, it's part of THEIR "ten-year plan" ;)

seriously, pachter's 'predictions' can be inferred from things a lot of people already knew

Stephen Colbert said:
Yes, but the reason multiplatform games didn't show up on the Wii was because it was so underpowered.

The reason so many core gamers wrote off the wii was because it was so underpowered and wasn't getting any of the popular multiplatform gamers.

And the reason the industry wrote off the wii was because third party developers and core gamers wrote off the system.
Not sure what to say here...Nintendo made the right decision in holding back for power. Were the Wii powered the same as the PS3/360 we would have dealt with a completely different situation in terms of pricing.

And I'd rather not label gamers. I think that gamers overall probably got frustrated by the droughts in the Wii's lineup, not by the visuals. If you'd like to post some actual data supporting your claim I'll be happy to read it, but for now I'll just stick with the obvious stance here.

civilstrife said:
Yeah, but it wouldn't have sold to everyone else. So, it would have failed.

$$$

It didn't sell to everyone else because it had shitty graphics. It sold to everyone else because it had motion controls.

If the Wii was a powerful console with motion controls, it would have sold to everyone else AND to core gamers AND would have gotten many more multiplatform titles to boot.

Glass Joe

Stephen Colbert said:
I'm implying that underpowering the Wii was a misstep.

Motion controls was a brilliant move, and it saved the Wii.

Underpowering the Wii however, cost them in the long run.

People seem to think that motion controls and an underpowered gpu go hand in hand. They do not. It wasn't neccesary for the Wii to be underpowered. It could have offered up both motion AND good graphics.

Assuming the 5 year console strategy has always been Nintendo's plan (and this fits chronologically), the Wii's horsepower wasn't a screw up. It allowed a profitable console at an affordable price. The real downside to their strategy is the lack of 3rd parties getting on board & being successful. Tons of Wii's in homes and no one will make a quality game for it. Who knew?

From Iwata's quote about marketing, I couldn't really get the context. The Wii was marketed well, it became a must-have item for quite a while. I'm hoping by marketing, they meant more of perception to the non-casuals and the industry itself. Meaning, hopefully they really are trying to get GTA5 (either exclusive, or with bonus content, for launch). Not having strong 3rd party support out of the gate (or at all) was what cost them in the long run this gen.

Pyrokai

Stephen Colbert said:

Yup, and unfortunately I'm expecting this same dilema with this next console and third parties. Unless it's powerful enough to receive PS4720 games, I believe I'll mainly be playing Nintendo games yet again on the N6. Wouldn't it be nice for a Nintendo system to get true third party support? :p

Zebra

Stephen Colbert said:

This just reminded me of how far behind and broke I am. I'm still using a ancient SD TV.

Ahahaha
-quiet sobbing-

They knew that the hardcore wouldn't embrace motion controls fully, so they priced it for the mass market, and gave them hardware power to match. Though admittedly, they could have done a little better than GC level hardware for 250$ at launch and still made a profit on each system, but full BC was a concern for them.

CoffeeJanitor said:
I think that gamers overall probably got frustrated by the droughts in the Wii's lineup, not by the visuals.

If that was the case, then the good games that did come out for the Wii would have sold much better.

Yet outside of franchises that have been around for decades and have always sold in the millions, even the good games on the Wii didn't sell very well.

Stephen Colbert said:

You couldn't be anymore wrong. Your GAMER friends care about HD. The Wii wasn't geared towards your GAMER friends. The Wii was for the blue ocean population. The population that coukdn't tell HD from SD. The 3rd parties crapped on the Wii so these people didn't buy software besides the dance and party games. Pachter isn't right.

The new console being released isn't about HD, its about getting the hardcore back which has nothing to do with HD. It has to do with 3rd party support and non waggle controls. For someone who writes such long posts you sure get so much wrong so consistently.

Teknoman

Ickman3400 said:
Another "new" way to play isn't a good way to get me excited Iwata. I just want a regular damn controller and a beast of a console with a great online system. Do I ask for too much in 2011?

After this generation, you will never just have to deal with a "regular" controller again.

All controllers are probably going to have some small addition of some sort after all this ir aiming and motion control implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom