• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stephen Colbert said:
If that was the case, then the good games that did come out for the Wii would have sold much better.

Yet outside of franchises that have been around for decades and have always sold in the millions, even the good games on the Wii didn't sell very well.
Not this crap again. We never saw top teams develop for the Wii. When we did have a quality title it would either be niche or get shit marketing.

And when you don't have one big 3rd party game for years on your system and flood the thing with ass level games people will get the picture and know to buy 1st party stuff instead.

Could have said it more succinctly but it's been said 1000x too many

Pyrokai

LovingSteam said:
You couldn't be anymore wrong. Your GAMER friends care about HD. The Wii wasn't geared towards your GAMER friends. The Wii was for the blue ocean population. The population that coukdn't tell HD from SD. The 3rd parties crapped on the Wii so these people didn't buy software besides the dance and party games. Pachter isn't right.

The new console being released isn't about HD, its about getting the hardcore back which has nothing to do with HD. It has to do with 3rd party support and non waggle controls. For someone who writes such long posts you sure get so much wrong so consistently.

Honestly, we have no idea if Nintendo has any interest in getting the "hardcore" back and we probably won't even have an idea until E3. They might be very happy with where they're at. The "courting the hardcore" back to them is nothing more than a rumor from a source or two.

Jaruru said:
same thought here. but some articles said there won't be CPU on controller, so it can't be played alone (without the CAFE itself)... hmmmm
There has to be a CPU on the controller. If it's powerful enough to decode a video stream, it will be powerful enough at least for some DS level programs.

Glass Joe said:
The real downside to their strategy is the lack of 3rd parties getting on board & being successful. Tons of Wii's in homes and no one will make a quality game for it. Who knew?

Lots of quality games on the Wii barely sold at all. How do you explain the atrocious sales of a game like Donkey Kong Country Returns.

The issue was that people weren't buying the good games on the Wii (outside of a few decade old franchies), even steller ones like DKCR flopped sales wise.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
There is no "hardcore" market for Nintendo to win back.

Balb

Stephen Colbert said:
Lots of quality games on the Wii barely sold at all. How do you explain the atrocious sales of a game like Donkey Kong Country Returns.

The issue was that people weren't buying the good games on the Wii (outside of a few decade old franchies), even steller ones like DKCR flopped sales wise.

Atrocious? Are you kidding me? Or are you comparing its sales to Call of Duty Black Ops?

Pyrokai said:
Honestly, we have no idea if Nintendo has any interest in getting the "hardcore" back and we probably won't even have an idea until E3. They might be very happy with where they're at. The "courting the hardcore" back to them is nothing more than a rumor from a source or two.
I think that's pretty much completely made up. Nintendo wants court whoever will buy their shit.

Courting the "hardcore" (Now it's the people on the other two systems? this term sucks so much ass) will pretty much only take 3rd party support and a decent online system. Easier said than done with Nintendo, though.

Pyrokai

Stephen Colbert said:

I thought DKCR sold very well.....??

Stephen Colbert said:

OK, the Colbert icon was a hint but now I know you're trolling.

Penguin

Stephen Colbert said:

Wait wait, when did 4.5 million units in 6 months become atrocious?

Pyrokai

SlipperySlope said:
Their goal is to take over the 360 and PS3's market share. We'll see how successful they are.

And to do this, I truly believe graphics will be the only thing people look at as well as online infrastructure. So....yeah.....I'm going to be a negative nancy and say it ain't gonna happen.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Stephen Colbert said:

It's nice to make things up.

ShockingAlberto said:
I think Stephen Colbert is a joke character.

I am just not sure he knows it yet.
It definitely seems that way.

LovingSteam said:
You couldn't be anymore wrong. Your GAMER friends care about HD. The Wii wasn't geared towards your GAMER friends. The Wii was for the blue ocean population. The population that coukdn't tell HD from SD. The 3rd parties crapped on the Wii so these people didn't buy software besides the dance and party games. Pachter isn't right.

If someone can't tell SD from HD, they wouldn't bother to buy a HDTV in the first place. And yet, by mid 2009, over 50% of households owned HDTVs, by mid 2010, over 65% of households owned HDTVs, and now one would extrapolate that around 75% of households own HDTVs.

2009: http://www.dealerscope.com/article/...v-has-exceeded-50-percent-first-time-410960/1

2010: http://www.tvpredictions.com/cea050710.htm

And the remaining households that dont' yet own them, probably for the most part don't have them because they can't afford them.

It's not just my gamer friends that care about HD. Almost everyone seems to.

You don't fork down $1000 to upgrade to a new tv if you didn't care.

Pie Lord

Stephen Colbert said:

Four million copies is a flop now?

wsippel

Banned
Pyrokai said:
And to do this, I truly believe graphics will be the only thing people look at as well as online infrastructure. So....yeah.....I'm going to be a negative nancy and say it ain't gonna happen.
We currently have two conflicting sets of rumors regarding the graphics (IGN and Kotaku vs. GameInformer and 01net) and one promising set of rumors regarding online (1up). We'll see.

Stephen Colbert said:
If someone can't tell SD from HD, they wouldn't bother to buy a HDTV in the first place. And yet, by mid 2009, over 50% of households owned HDTVs, by mid 2010, over 65% of households owned HDTVs, and now one would extrapolate that around 75% of households own HDTVs.

And the remaining households that dont' yet own them, probably for the most part don't have them because they can't afford them.

HD TVs are flat.

That's why.

Stephen Colbert said:

2009: http://www.dealerscope.com/article/...v-has-exceeded-50-percent-first-time-410960/1

You're giving people entirely too much credit. Most people's TV purchasing decisions are based on screen size and the TV's appearance. Its not like people have had many choices in SDTV purchases the last 5 years.

Glass Joe

Stephen Colbert said:

I thought Donkey Kong sold well, but Sales-GAF isn't what it used to be with the new NPD restrictions so I don't know for sure. However, Wii was already losing steam by the time it came out, so that was probably a big factor, if it wasn't a blockbuster. I think it's a matter of you can't have ONE developer putting out the only quality product on a console. Us Wii gamers were dusting our consoles off for DKC, at least the ones who hadn't forgotten about it.

Last I heard, it barely cracked 400k in sales and didn't make the NPD list.

Maybe DKCR is a poor example. It's a major franchise that's been around for almost three decades, so I would expect it to sell well even just for nostalgia alone, just like Mario games.

But many quality wii titles failed to sell well. And many third party devs made quality games for the Wii that didn't sell to expectations, causing them to pull out.

I remember when my parents spent $1200 on a new HDTV and then hooked it up to the cable box with composite.

They didn't even get HD programming until I arranged it for them.

My mom couldn't tell the difference for months and kept watching the SD channels.

antonz

HDTV transition was greatly accelerated by things like the US Government mandating the switch over broadcast wise.

Stuff like that was the flaw in Nintendos plan.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Stephen Colbert said:

Maybe DKCR is a poor example. It's a major franchise that's been around for almost three decades, so I would expect it to sell well even just for nostalgia alone, just like Mario games.

But many quality wii titles failed to sell well. And many third party devs made quality games for the Wii that didn't sell to expectations, causing them to pull out.
It shipped 4.98 million units.

Duderz

Banned
If Nintendo is serious about "reclaiming the hardcore market" (which makes me roll my eyes to begin with), they can start by announcing Xenoblade and The Last Story for the US. This is the first Nintendo console that I'm sort of apathetic about, the reason being that Nintendo has been full on autopilot for a long time and ignoring games that the "hardcore" are asking for.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Stephen Colbert said:
And many third party devs made quality games for the Wii that didn't sell to expectations, causing them to pull out.

Many (sic) third parties also had flops on the HD consoles, and you know what happened to them? The went bankrupt and folded.

Stephen Colbert said:

And most of those idiots are hooking their consoles up to it using composite cables.

ShockingAlberto said:
I remember when my parents spent $1200 on a new HDTV and then hooked it up to the cable box with composite.

My mom couldn't tell the difference for months and kept watching the SD channels.

Yup. So let's say that 75% of households have an HDTV now...

How many have ever watched a single piece of HD content on it?

That's the question. And the answer is probably damn few.

Stephen Colbert said:

Or it could be that SD TVs are getting phased out and fast. JUST MAYBE.

Really dude, get out of your tech bubble. Most of the people I know own HDTVs but most of them do not make use of the HD feature.

Glass Joe

Stephen Colbert said:

My counter-argument to yours was that it wasn't so much the horsepower of the Wii being the downside as it was 3rd parties not getting on board or being successful when they did. And honestly, they're tied together. Nintendo games sold well because they were quality. 3rd parties didn't sell well because they didn't put the effort into them. Why they didn't try is the biggest question. We got PS2 ports instead of PS3 ports, or hardly anything at all. That's the big thing Nintendo needs to fix with the Cafe... Making developers confident that their product will be noticed and appreciated by gamers on the console.

Stephen Colbert said:

DKCR sits at 5 million sold currently, and probably won't stop until at least a few million more.

But hey, ATROCIOUS!

Stephen Colbert said:
Hmm.

In order for this to be true, the last time you have had to check would have been before November.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415414&page=21

So I think I see the problem. You were checking before the game was released. It is obviously not reasonable to expect it to be on the NPD list before then.

As for "barely cracking 400k"...

http://gamerinvestments.com/video-g...eturns-closing-in-on-2m-units-sold-in-the-us/

THE URL MAY NOT BE OBVIOUS SO I ADVISE YOU TRY CLICKING IT

SPOILER IT SAYS THINGS COUNTER TO WHAT YOU ARE ARGUING BECAUSE YOU DID NOT BOTHER TO SPEND LESS THAN TWENTY SECONDS GOOGLING SOMETHING EASILY PROVABLE

ShockingAlberto said:

And I doubt that your mom is that type of person that would buy a videogame beyond Wii Fit.

That's the flaw if target people that don't care about visuals at all, those are the types of people that might buy a Wii for Wii Sports or Wii Fit, but will never bother to buy a game again.

The types of people that would buy console games semi regularly are the same people who care about things like graphics and visuals.

Balb

JaseC said:
You don't understand, the US is the only country that exists on the planet.

Edit: ^ Haha.

Even if it was, DKCR sold very well, and charted at 5 or 6 in the December NPD, which is huge.

Beth Cyra

Duderz said:
If Nintendo is serious about "reclaiming the hardcore market" (which makes me roll my eyes to begin with), they can start by announcing Xenoblade and The Last Story for the US. This is the first Nintendo console that I'm sort of apathetic about, the reason being that Nintendo has been full on autopilot for a long time and ignoring games that the "hardcore" are asking for.

I find it weird that Nintendo are being blamed for this as a whole.

Nintendo while not doing enough still did a good amount. Fatal Frame 2 and 4, Xenoblade, Last Story and more.

It's NoA that should take the blame.

Stephen Colbert said:
And I doubt that your mom is that type of person that would buy a videogame beyond Wii Fit.

That's the flaw if target people that don't care about visuals at all, those are the types of people that might buy a Wii for Wii Sports or Wii Fit, but will never bother to buy a game again.

The types of people that would buy console games semi regularly are the same people who care about things like graphics and visuals.
Whoa.

Why are you insulting my mom? Too far.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Balb said:
Even if it was, DKCR sold very well, and charted at 5 or 6 in the December NPD, which is huge.

But everybody knows that games which drop off the NPD chart are no longer produced.

zoukka

Stephen Colbert said:

Here's a shocker. Anyone who wants to play traditional videogames care about the visuals.

Most of them however do not care/understand about the technical aspects unless they are clearly visible and hindering the playability of those games.

Stephen Colbert said:

Joke poster confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom