• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not expecting much out of this financial conference, but damn I'm mad excited for their E3 stuff. Although I'm more of a Sony guy for consoles I'm really excited to see what Nintendo has in store for the next-gen (moreso than Sony and MS).

It wouldn't make sense for them to abandon the wii-mote though given it's success. So yeah I'm intrigued.

When Nintendo first came out with the Wii, they argued that most adoption of HDTV was very low and slow. They argued that it would take many years for HDTV adoption to reach mass market, that it was too expensive.

They nailed it. That's why Wii won. HDTV adoption has surged in the past few years and Nintendo is timing the release of Wii2 to match that. They walk away having made the most money and market share, and utterly forcing the competition to fight them on their own terms: motion controls.

No revisionist garbage from any mouth can change how the past 5 years came down in terms of units of hardware/software sold/shipped. Nintendo came out king. Nintendo could cut the lifespan of the Wii down because it could afford it, Sony and MS cannot. One must give credit to Sony and MS for driving the market of HD entertainment. It is as venerable as MS driving the market for online console gaming. Nintendo must be credited with the success of its blue ocean strategy.

DarkWish said:
I have that, and tabs in Twitter for Nintendo and Iwata. Still nothing. Hopefully someone talks soon.

This is truly the Information-Age :D. People fiending for the latest news. I was reading some old game mags lately and was reminiscing how I got all the info weeks and months after the reveals.

IchigoSharingan said:
When Nintendo first came out with the Wii, they argued that most adoption of HDTV was very low and slow. They argued that it would take many years for HDTV adoption to reach mass market, that it was too expensive.

They nailed it. That's why Wii won. HDTV adoption has surged in the past few years and Nintendo is timing the release of Wii2 to match that. They walk away having made the most money and market share, and utterly forcing the competition to fight them on their own terms: motion controls.

No revisionist garbage from any mouth can change how the past 5 years came down in terms of units of hardware/software sold/shipped. Nintendo came out king. Nintendo could cut the lifespan of the Wii down because it could afford it, Sony and MS cannot. One must give credit to Sony and MS for driving the market of HD entertainment. It is as venerable as MS driving the market for online console gaming. Nintendo must be credited with the success of its blue ocean strategy.
Yet here is Nintendo adding credibility to MS and Sony's approach. And if the hardware is as close as it seems, it just lends strength to Sony and MS to continue with their current systems. In the end, MS or Sony could end up outselling Wii.

agrajag

Banned
Chuck Norris said:
Yet here is Nintendo adding credibility to MS and Sony's approach. And if the hardware is as close as it seems, it just lends strength to Sony and MS to continue with their current systems. In the end, MS or Sony could end up outselling Wii.

Doubtful. At the rate they've been selling, it'll take them another five years to catch up. By that time both Wii and Wii2 would have sold a combined 160 million units, I'd wager.

justchris

Chuck Norris said:

Well, just as Nintendo couldn't have known how things would turn out in 2005 when they were planning the Wii, there's no way to know for sure whether the PS3 or 360 will outsell the Wii, or how long they'll remain viable systems once "Cafe" releases.

Nintendo isn't so much adding credibility to MS & Sony's approach as they are deciding that now is the right time for that approach, when 2006 wasn't. I don't know that I agree with them on that, but what they said at the time about HD adoption was true. On the other hand, the very fact of the existence of the PS3 and 360 probably sped HD adoption in significant ways, so it might have been in their interest to get ahead of the curve; sort of the way they did with motion controls.

DarkWish

So I see something about the Vitality Sensor and also "3D Excitebike free delivery made as classics" (is that a 3D Classic eShop download of Excitebike for free?!). Maybe I'm just reading too much into this gibberish.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Chuck Norris said:

No, it's Nintendo adapting to the current market going forward which any sensible company would.

It's not Nintendo adding credibility to MS and Sony's approach of 5+ years back which did both companies and the industry an awful amount of damage. Just because 2 huge companies survived it, and Microsoft was willing to bleed any amount of cash and fried consoles to get a piece of the pie from Sony doesn't mean their approach was right.

Nintendo called it right at the time, the others didn't and have stuck doggedly to that approach to salvage the losses. Now Nintendo just switch tact and play the current situation to their advantage like they did with the Wii the first time round.

The main difference this time round is that they don't have 3rd parties going in the completely opposite direction to them.

jax (old)

Banned
is it confirmed that CAFE is BC compatible with upscaling etc? I'd love for it to be able to play my wii/gamecube games.

+

PLEASE BE REGION FREE.

DarkWish said:
So I see something about the Vitality Sensor and also "3D Excitebike free delivery made as classics" (is that a 3D Classic eShop download of Excitebike for free?!). Maybe I'm just reading too much into this gibberish.

次は3DS。パルテナは”夏以降”。VCについては、まずGB、GBCからだが、その後、他の配信可能性も追求したい。5月末の本体更新を皆さんに行ってもらうべく背中を押す為に、3Dクラシックスとして作ったエキサイトバイクを無料配信する。イコライザーのあれかい?

Next is 3DS. Kid Icarus will be "after summer." About the VC, it'll have GB and GBC, but after that, Nintendo wants to add more. In order to push people to update their system firmware at the end of May, the 3D Classics version of Excitebike will be distributed for free. Is it that equalizer thing?

jman2050 said:
Wait so people are already starting the revisionist history nonsense by pretending that the Wii isn't one of the most successful game systems ever and that any sort of "competition" for this generation ended two years ago at the latest?

Nintendo's profits are down like 50%, man. Certain people have been waiting for an opportunity like this. Stupid, childish people.

Big One

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
About the VC, it'll have GB and GBC, but after that, Nintendo wants to add more.
This is confirmed already before anyone goes off the handle about this all, "DOES THIS MEAN GBA?" Reggie says they're adding Game Gear and Turbografix games

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Worth noting this one:

gibbogame David Gibson
Made decision on wii successor announcement because of logistics for getting people to e3, still wants surprise at e3

As expected, we aren't going to get anything more tonight

A lot of interesting stuff on the Twitter. Sounds legit.

Possibility of using free classic games as an incentive to use StreetPass and SpotPass and eShop.

Vitality Sensor is easy to use for 80% of people, but they want to get it up to 99%.

Confirmation that they're planning first-party releases around third-parties.

Nintendo will accommodate social networking, but not have their games appear on any non-Nintendo platform.

Reiterates that buttons are needed for gaming versus tablets.

The Wii succeeded because of motion controls. It's success was held back by poor graphics. I don't think anyone can argue that a Wii at $249 with both motion controls and better graphics wouldn't have sold much better.

The Gamecube in 2002/2003 was discounted to $99 and still selling at a profit.

From all indications, the Wii was a overclocked gamecube with a new control interface.

So given that, there was a decent amount of room for Nintendo to make the Wii more powerful, while still selling it at a profit. They probably could have used a dual core configuration of the Gamecube's cpu and gpu and wound up with a console capable of 720p, priced it at $249 and still sold it for a profit.

Had they done that, I contend that they would have made more money in the long run for all the reasons before...

appealing to both casuals and to core gamers

having much longer legs

getting more multiplatform titles

not peaking two-three years into the console and then rapidly losing sales and never recovering the earlier sales since.

gibbogame David Gibson
Vitality sensor still in development but challenge is its easy to make it work for 80% of people but very difficult for 99%
5 hours ago
»
David Gibson
gibbogame David Gibson
3ds title mentioned will be this fy, need success of others on platform otherwise cannot maintain platform, plan own titles areound 3rd paty
5 hours ago
»
David Gibson
gibbogame David Gibson
Made decision on wii successor announcement because of logistics for getting people to e3, still wants surprise at e3
5 hours ago
»
David Gibson
gibbogame David Gibson
Thinks its not a conflict between quality and quantity for games, if quality game then can maintain full value
5 hours ago
»
David Gibson
gibbogame David Gibson
Admitted previously relied too much on own, won't do everything on own, expect to see something on that at e3
5 hours ago
»
David Gibson
gibbogame David Gibson
Plans to launch beyond jp,eu,usa,aust this year for 3ds, need local product in particular but local taxes could reduce attractiveness
5 hours ago
»
David Gibson
gibbogame David Gibson
Sns - will accomodate in games but won't see nintendo games on non-nintendo hardware
5 hours ago
»
David Gibson
gibbogame David Gibson
Tablets - will be widely spread but thinks for better gaming response need buttons so won't have machines without buttons
5 hours ago
»
David Gibson
gibbogame David Gibson
Iwata claims have stats that says no difference in usage of sns users impact on ds, in japan actually found it increased ds game consump ...
5 hours ago
»
David Gibson
gibbogame David Gibson
Biohazard 2 june, zelda 16 june, tales of the abyss 30 june, starfox 14 jul, new title post summer, super mario shown at e3
6 hours ago
»
David Gibson
gibbogame David Gibson
Will launch end of may, title lineup improves for 3ds going forward- dead or alive 19 may, unlimited cruise 26 may
6 hours ago
»
David Gibson
gibbogame David Gibson
3ds- need to provide incentive to use streetpass and system updates- will offer free classic games, eshop and internet
6 hours ago
»
David Gibson
gibbogame David Gibson
Still pushing wii, will be releasing one title every month to push its performance, wii play motion new title
6 hours ago
»
David Gibson
gibbogame David Gibson
No new details on wii2, says its new concept and structure for console, details at e3
6 hours ago
»
David Gibson
gibbogame David Gibson
In japan active users declined from 51% in jul to 48% in jan but in usa it rose from 62% to 63%
6 hours ago
»
David Gibson
gibbogame David Gibson
Pokemon blackwhite has sold more than previous versions globally in same time frame
6 hours ago
»
David Gibson
gibbogame David Gibson
Eu, us 3ds second week sales were lower than expectations and "need to make efforts" to improve
6 hours ago
»
David Gibson
gibbogame David Gibson
Iwata admitting 3ds post second week is not meeting expectations, quake impact in japan but not sole impact
6 hours ago
»
David Gibson
gibbogame David Gibson
Mori-san going to run through financials now, president Iwata later
6 hours ago
»
David Gibson
gibbogame David Gibson
Test from mobile
7 hours ago
»
David Gibson
gibbogame David Gibson
off to Nintendo results meeting today 10am-11:30am, should be interesting given the bad results but Wii successor confirmed

Pre

Krev said:
So all this time we were wrong about the time of the meeting.

Hilarious.

I thought something was weird about the announcement from two hours ago about Nintendo looking for marketing partnerships.

Pre

No news is going to make the wait for E3 even more maddening. I've been trying to avoid the hype train, but I can't hold off much longer.

mj1108

Sadist said:
Ha, that's insane. On Nintendo's updated millionseller list Mario Kart Wii sold 27 million copies.

If that's a sell-thru number to consumer that would give the title about a 30% attach rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom