• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadist

Nirolak said:
Either that or they're going to offer co-marketing to third parties to try and keep multiplatform titles showing up on the platform.
Most likely option imo.

Curious about how they will approach the western devs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sadist said:
Most likely option imo.

Curious about how they will approach the western devs.
The most effective method with the West seems to be bags of cash combined with a robust online system that they can use to generate strong word of mouth sales and sell lots of DLC through.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Nirolak said:
The most effective method with the West seems to be bags of cash combined with a robust online system that they can use to generate strong word of mouth sales and sell lots of DLC through.
Which based on the 3DS will never happen.

Mael

Nirolak said:

I was going to point toward the latest CoD but....the last one got a not so bad online and I think they enaled DLC on it...so yeah.

Jay Sosa

The thing is that Big N has pretty awful 3 party support ever since the PS 1 days and even when someone releases some interesting stuff like Xenoblade or all these Capcom games on the GC it more often than not sells like crap.

Mael

Jay Sosa said:
The thing is that Big N has pretty awful 3 party support ever since the PS 1 days and even when someone releases some interesting stuff like Xenoblade or all these Capcom games on the GC it more often than not sells like crap.

You mean like Resident Evil 4:Wii Edition?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mael said:
I was going to point toward the latest CoD but....the last one got a not so bad online and I think they enaled DLC on it...so yeah.
Well, I don't mean the existence of online so much as an online system as robust as Xbox Live or PSN.

The trick is not just getting online, but building communities of friends that are likely to buy the same games together and then buy DLC map packs together to play more.

jax (old)

Banned
Nirolak said:
Either that or they're going to offer co-marketing to third parties to try and keep multiplatform titles showing up on the system.

My guess would actually be the latter since they had a fair amount of third party exclusives with the Wii, but got killed on not being included in the multiplatform party.

The problem I see for Nintendo going forward with multiplatforms is - both the ps3/x360 are well established; the only thing here is that CAFE will get an added port because now it can handle the engine (Say UE3/polycount/textures..etc)

But there's nothing here to incentivise gamers on both platforms to pick up the CAFE version which I expect to be about the same- port wise. Especially when the HD install base for ps3/x360 is millions vs the fledgling CAFE installbase - it essentially starts at 0.

Metallix

Banned
Jay Sosa said:
What are you talking about, exactly?

Capcom's efforts on Gamecube, save for P.N.03, did NOT "sell like crap".

I'll give you Xenoblade, though I'm curious to see how it does in Europe, Australia, and North America.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Mael said:
You mean like Resident Evil 4:Wii Edition?

Is that supposed to counter something he said in his post? I'm fairly certain The Wii Edition of RE4 isn't on the GC.

Nirolak said:
Either that or they're going to offer co-marketing to third parties to try and keep multiplatform titles showing up on the system.

My guess would actually be the latter since they had a fair amount of third party exclusives with the Wii, but got killed on not being included in the multiplatform party.

Steam? A man can dream.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jax said:
The problem I see for Nintendo going forward with multiplatforms is - both the ps3/x360 are well established; the only thing here is that CAFE will get an added port because now it can handle the engine (Say UE3/polycount/textures..etc)

But there's nothing here to incentivise gamers on both platforms to pick up the CAFE version which I expect to be about the same- port wise. Especially when the HD install base for ps3/x360 is millions vs the fledgling CAFE installbase - it essentially starts at 0.
Right, it's a steep hill to climb.

Their bigger issue is also keeping multiplatform titles once the PS4 and Xbox 720 come out, which means they need to build really strong third party relations to get people to still make ports at that point.

brain_stew said:
Steam? A man can dream.
This would be a fascinating move that I would not expect.

jax (old)

Banned
Jay Sosa said:

see also zack/wiki + red steel 2 + more.

THe 3rd party hits have been just dance 2 / fitness things + carnivale games - not sure about the full list. I wonder what the full list of 3rd party success on wii is.

Antagon

Metallix said:

I'll give you Xenoblade, though I'm curious to see how it does in Europe, Australia, and North America.

Xenoblade is first party.

Mael

Nirolak said:
Well, I don't mean the existence of online so much as an online system as robust as Xbox Live or PSN.

The trick is not just getting online, but building communities of friends that are likely to buy the same games together and then buy DLC map packs together to play more.

Well yeah pretty much that still didn't prevent ATVI from releasing their CoD games, but still apart from seeing what other people are playing and the whole invite friends it's pretty much on par now.
I'm not sure DLC is not on CodBlops Wii either.

But they indeed have a big image problem in this regards.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jax said:
see also zack/wiki + red steel 2 + more.

THe 3rd party hits have been just dance 2 / fitness things + carnivale games - not sure about the full list. I wonder what the full list of 3rd party success on wii is.
Well, the biggest ones are basically:

-Guitar Hero 3
-Just Dance
-Just Dance 2
-Monster Hunter Tri
-Dragon Quest Swords
-Michael Jackson: The Experience
-Red Steel 1
-Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
-Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
-Taiko No Tatsujin
-Taiko No Tatsujin 2
-Karaoke Joysound
-EA Sports Active
-Your Shape
-Rayman's Raving Rabbids
-Carnival Games
-Mario & Sonic At The Olympics
-Mario & Sonic At The Winter Olympics
-Sonic Unleashed
-Rampage (Launch Title)
-Epic Mickey

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few though.

Mael

JaseC said:
Is that supposed to counter something he said in his post? I'm fairly certain The Wii Edition of RE4 isn't on the GC.

Metallix said:

Since it seemed obvious he wasn't talking about the GC, he must have been talking about Wii.
I mean it's not like RE4 GC bombed either.

Taker666

I wonder if we will actually see the release of a VR headset for cafe at some point?

If the console can stream to four 800x 500 screens at one time with no lag...it would seem an ideal candidate for a wireless VR headset that uses two screens.

JaseC

Mael said:
Since it seemed obvious he wasn't talking about the GC, he must have been talking about Wii.

Sorry, I must've imagined the part where he mentioned the GC.
I'm just messing with you, FYI.

Seriously though, he said "more often than not". While he may be wrong on that and perhaps should've used a phrase slightly less definitive, the point is he didn't say "Every game ever made. Ever", so pointing out examples to the contrary is pointless.

Edit: Made this post less serious.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
All this talk of the appeal of Wii 2 versus current and future consoles is a bit premature until we know what the Hell they are up to with it anyway.

They obviously think the idea is strong enough to not reveal anything about it in a press-release, and unveil it Wii Sports style at E3 instead.

The fact they want people to play it before anything else, rather than just unveil the concept like they did with the Wii and its remote, says this idea is either going to be very odd indeed or more potent in action than it would seem on paper.

Jay Sosa

Metallix said:

Maybe not like crap but what 3 party game besides RE 4 was really sucessful? I don't know if the wiki list is exact but about 90% of the games in the Top 26 are first party.

And it's not like they haven't tried..

EDIT: I was mainly talking about the GC.

Glass Joe

brain_stew said:
You think Nintendo is happy having the console with the greatest fall in history? Systems have only ever went onto a position of dominance from where the Wii was 3-4 years ago, for all they did fantastic to build that momentum, they were utterly hopeless as maintaining it.

Their hardware choice traded third party support for GCN BC, a similar machine would have had all the same positives but lack that major weakness that led to the sysyem's premature downfall.

I'm sure they're thrilled that Wii is their most successful console ever. There's more Wii systems in the world than the NES, and they went from 20 million units (GC) to 80 million (Wii) in homes. But I'm sure they're not happy at its fast decline, true. That wasn't part of my argument though.

I'm not a tech guy, so I don't know why losing GCN BC would necessarily guarantee 3rd party support. Sounds like you're jumping to a conclusion. Slightly more powerful hardware may have still been equally frowned upon, wouldn't it? There'd still be that effort to convert 360/PS3 games to Wii's power.

Metallix

Banned
Mael said:
Well, he mentioned interesting stuff, referenced Capcom's Gamecube offerings, and then said they bomb more often than not. Just an odd thing to say, all things considered.

Jay Sosa said:

I'm not saying they sell brilliantly, or trying to paint a picture that third parties do well on Nintendo platforms - more often than not they fluff their lines, but that's not necessarily true all of the time, and third party sales are not always bad... case in point:

Resident Evil 4 has sold 1.8m on Wii, shy of what it sold on PS2 but still impressive for a port of a game from a prior generation. Add that to the 2.2m it sold on PS2, and the 1.6m it sold on GC and RE4 reaches 5.6m+ -- surely worth their efforts. Each of the other new games and ports went platinum on Nintendo platforms as well - REmake, RE0, Umbrella Chronicles etc.

18 of Capcom's Top 50 Platinum titles are on Nintendo platforms btw. Over a third.

Burnout 2, Timesplitters 2, Beyond Good & Evil and Soul Calibur II are examples of titles that all did relatively well compared to versions on other platforms during the Gamecube era.

mattx5

While "relying more on others" probably has something to do with third-party support, I wonder if they're referring more to parts of their infrastructure being licensed from or integrated with other platforms, i.e. Steam distribution, integration of established social networking tools, etc.?

Mael

JaseC said:
Sorry, I must've imagined the part where he mentioned the GC.

Not to mention, he said "more often than not". While he may be wrong on that, the point is he didn't say "Every game ever made. Ever", so pointing out examples to the contrary is pointless.

Well when more often than not 3rd party support is absolutely awful it's not surprising that they would fail.
And it's not limited to Nintendo platform either, most games released are actually not that good (and the market generally agree hence the price fall most games have)

JaseC

Mael said:
Well when more often than not 3rd party support is absolutely awful it's not surprising that they would fail.
And it's not limited to Nintendo platform either, most games released are actually not that good (and the market generally agree hence the price fall most games have)

So we're agreed, then. That's always nice. I'm not sure I agree with your second paragraph, though. For example, the recent Tony Hawk offerings are like the pinnacle of brilliant game design.

Mael

JaseC said:
So we're agreed, then. That's always nice. I'm not sure I agree with your second paragraph, though. For example, the recent Tony Hawk offerings are like the pinnacle of brilliant game design.

well considering that the market is the only metric we can use for quality, it's safe to say that the market didn't like it.
Let's not forget for a second that every game but the indies are made with 1 thing in mind : pleasing the absolute biggest amount of people possible.
On that metric we can evaluate whether or not they succeed or fail.

JaseC

Mael said:
well considering that the market is the only metric we can use for quality, it's safe to say that the market didn't like it.
Let's not forget for a second that every game but the indies are made with 1 thing in mind : pleasing the absolute biggest amount of people possible.
On that metric we can evaluate whether or not they succeed or fail.

I was being facetious with the latter half of my post. :p

Amir0x said:
At least Nintendo gets it, Microsoft.

So that's where Microsoft's understanding of the importance of buttons went.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
mattx5 said:
While "relying more on others" probably has something to do with third-party support, I wonder if they're referring more to parts of their infrastructure being licensed from or integrated with other platforms, i.e. Steam distribution, integration of established social networking tools, etc.?
A deal with Valve to have Steam as their online infrastructure would be beyond the level of megaton. Don't get your hopes up :p

Amir0x said:
At least Nintendo gets it, Microsoft.
Luckily they get it. All those rumors about the Café controller curiously forgetting to mention face buttons, honestly, had me a bit worried at first.

justchris

gerg said:
I understand that, had the Wii been more powerful, it would be in a better position now than it is in reality - in fact, I even believe that Nintendo is launching the Wii2 sooner than they would prefer owing to this fact.

I don't know, they're releasing "Cafe" on about the same schedule as they've released every console since the n64. If they were rushing, I think it'd be out by this year. Q2 or later of next year doesn't seem like they're particularly rushed at all.

In fact, everything about "Cafe" screams measured. The only reason we know it exists is because of leaks from 3rd parties that they've been working with way in advance of their projected release. The fact that they've started approaching 3rd parties so early in the process seems like they have a deliberate plan and long term goals in mind.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Actually, you know, this fiscal call information is half not about the Wii 2, so I think I'll move it into another thread since people have been complaining this topic is too megathready.

beje

Banned
Jocchan said:
A deal with Valve to have Steam as their online infrastructure would be beyond the level of megaton. Don't get your hopes up :p

Still, it would be the best way of gaining immediate indie support for downloadable games like what happened with the MAC Steam store and would provide automatic online infrastructure (at least for playing) at ZERO cost in R&D. BELIEVE.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Steam works on a Nintendo console? If anyone has the stats to convince Nintendo...

No! Mustn't dream.

Amir0x

Banned
Jocchan said:
Luckily they get it. All those rumors about the Café controller curiously forgetting to mention face buttons, honestly, had me a bit worried at first.

yeah i was getting worried it'd be a screen with less buttons in favor of the screen but I suppose now it's just a really enormous controller with a screen

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
beje said:
Still, it would be the best way of gaining immediate indie support for downloadable games like what happened with the MAC Steam store and would provide automatic online infrastructure (at least for playing) at ZERO cost in R&D. BELIEVE.
And it would make Nintendo skyrocket from the far worst online infrastructure in the console space to the best one in a heartbeat :p
Still, there is NOTHING pointing to it happening. Believing there's the slightest chance of this ever coming true means setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Shiggy said:
No thanks! I don't want thousand updates before starting a game.
I'm not sure you understand what Steamworks is.

Shiggy

Rez said:
I'm not sure you understand what Steamworks is.

You said Steam, so sorry then. What I meant was the Steam client, browsing through the store is a mess and its auto-updates are the main reason why I don't use it anymore...

Woffls

Jocchan said:
And it would make Nintendo skyrocket from the far worst online infrastructure in the console space to the best one in a heartbeat :p
Still, there is NOTHING pointing to it happening. Believing there's the slightest chance of this ever coming true means setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.
Weellllll we've got Iwata saying "Now I am aware that we should not rely too much on ourselves. You will see what I mean by this when we market the 3DS and the Wii in the future." We've also got both companies expressing a big interest in biometric feedback, AND Nintendo saying that online will be a big focus of theirs in the near future. Not to mention how well each company's software portfolio would complement each other.

1% chance of it happening, but we've got hints here and there.

I want to believe :(

JaseC

Shiggy said:
You said Steam, so sorry then. What I meant was the Steam client, browsing through the store is a mess and its auto-updates are the main reason why I don't use it anymore...

Disable them, then..?

Luigiv

Rez said:
Steam works on a Nintendo console? If anyone has the stats to convince Nintendo...

No! Mustn't dream.
If Valve releases a game on the Cafe, you can bet your ass that it'll have Steam support. Nintendo doesn't have anything against letting 3rd Parties use their own infrastructure on their systems. At least not big 3rd parties with bargaining muscle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom