• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Luigiv said:
If Valve releases a game on the Cafe, you can bet your ass that it'll have Steam support. Nintendo doesn't have anything against letting 3rd Parties use their own infrastructure on their systems. At least not big 3rd parties with bargaining muscle.

That's because they don't have any infrastructure on their systems.

MYE

You know, now that i think of it if the controller is indeed a pad with buttons that lets me stream games from the mothersip and play it on the 6' screen with no need for the TV display, i'm gonna fucking use this feature alot.

I dunno why but i LOVE to watch TV at the same time as i play games (I found this out when i started playing MW2 and Starcraft on my laptop) And considering i only have one TV on my room and dont plan to go stupid and buy another one, being able to glance at my TV shows or movies between loadings or pauses is gonna be FUCKING GODLY.

Shit, i'm even more excited now.
Here's hoping the controller screen is decent.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
MYE said:
You know, now that i think of it if the controller is indeed a pad with buttons that lets me stream games from the mothersip and play it on the 6' screen with no need for the TV display, i'm gonna fucking use this feature alot.

I dunno why but i LOVE to watch TV at the same time as i play games (I found this out when i started playing MW2 and Starcraft on my laptop) And considering i only have one TV on my room and dont plan to go stupid and buy another one, being able to glance at my TV shows or movies between loadings or pauses is gonna be FUCKING GODLY.

Shit, i'm even more excited now.
Here's hoping the controller screen is decent.

i do this too. i love sitting on my couch playing PICROSS on my ds while a movie is on. my girlfriend is always like, how do you even watch that movie? are you even enjoying it?

and the answer is that i watch the same five movies over and over and know every line. so if i miss a sentence or two it's no big deal. i can go through every scene of BATMAN RETURNS with you from memory while i do high-level picross.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Woffls said:
Weellllll we've got Iwata saying "Now I am aware that we should not rely too much on ourselves. You will see what I mean by this when we market the 3DS and the Wii in the future." We've also got both companies expressing a big interest in biometric feedback, AND Nintendo saying that online will be a big focus of theirs in the near future. Not to mention how well each company's software portfolio would complement each other.

1% chance of it happening, but we've got hints here and there.

I want to believe :(
And Stream sounds a lot like Steam!!!!!1!

I'd be the first to rejoice, I just hate getting disappointed :)

Nintendo's early infrastructure has its roots in GameSpy tech, it would make sense for them to outsource that again, and Steam would be a great choice -- but I feel to hope for such a thing is to invite epic disappointment.

Speaking of Epic, they - and Valve - are exactly the kind of third parties Nintendo should be courting. UE3 has been used in frikkin everything... I actually think they should look into getting an enhanced version of UE2 for 3DS made, a version that would really take advantage of the Pica 200 shading capability and 3D features of the console. A new GTA on a Nintendo console would be nice, and it sounds like they're working on that, but I worry that GTA is old news these days. They need to ensure that they have robust FPS and dudebro engine support. A Bungie game would be a coup if they could secure something like that. As cock of doody is still flavour of the month, they should probably liase with Activision / Infinity Ward / Treyarch on what they'd like to see too. How about speaking to Blizzard and getting a true World of Warcraft experience in the console sphere?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Steamcast!

Whoever brought up that term needs a cookie, or a cigar what have you.

Woffls

MYE said:
I do this a lot as well, but I watch my TV from my media server or DVD/BD's, so I can't use the picture and picture feature on my TV for it. Being able to half play Elder Scrolls while watching Community, for example, would be great.

Of course, I'd like the option to watch Community on the controller and play Elder Scrolls on the TV, but that would require Nintendo to branch out into media functionality and stuff. I imagine it will be possible.

Woffls said:
I do this a lot as well, but I watch my TV from my media server or DVD/BD's, so I can't use the picture and picture feature on my TV for it. Being able to half play Elder Scrolls while watching Community, for example, would be great.

Of course, I'd like the option to watch Community on the controller and play Elder Scrolls on the TV, but that would require Nintendo to branch out into media functionality and stuff. I imagine it will be possible.

Netflix is coming to 3DS, so it's likely. Supporting a game and film at once is another matter though, it might be possible to stream a movie to a second tablet, but I'd expect most games to involve 2 screens at once.

1-D_FTW

Yeah. No. I think it means more like BF3 will be one of their playable showcase games at the e3 unveiling and because of the standard dual stick layout and easy portability from 360, we're going to no longer see Nintnendo ignored by third parties (and Nintendo will do their best to help promote the best of the best).

Mael

1-D_FTW said:
Yeah. No. I think it means more like BF3 will be one of their playable showcase games at the e3 unveiling and because of the standard dual stick layout and easy portability from 360, we're going to no longer see Nintnendo ignored by third parties (and Nintendo will do their best to help promote the best of the best).
Don't tell me this atrocity is making a comeback!

JaseC

Shiggy said:
Where?
Oh well, do I have to do it for each game seperately?

Yeah, which would be incredibly tedious if you have more than, say, a few-dozen games. I'm surprised Valve haven't made an universal setting for it. The other way you could go about avoiding automatic updates is to run Steam in Offline Mode.

Mael

From The Dust said:
Wiimotes will still be usable. Don't give in!

They better be, I'm avoiding most fps on my ps3 for that very reason, I'm not going back to drunken controls EVER (that and I have 4 wiimotes too :D).

Luigiv said:
If Valve releases a game on the Cafe, you can bet your ass that it'll have Steam support. Nintendo doesn't have anything against letting 3rd Parties use their own infrastructure on their systems. At least not big 3rd parties with bargaining muscle.

Uh...what makes you so sure? What is an example of a dev doing something similair with Nintendo?

Mael

TheRagnCajun said:
Uh...what makes you so sure? What is an example of a dev doing something similair with Nintendo?
EA?
I mean you pretty much enters EA's online platform when you play their games

Mafro

TheRagnCajun said:
EA with MoH and their sports games, and Monster Hunter Tri which used Capcom's own servers.

1-D_FTW

Mael said:
Don't tell me this atrocity is making a comeback!

Yup. Been known since the first rumors leaked. Between 01.net and GI's developer remarks ("Doing it right this time." "No gimmicks."), it became pretty crystal clear by about day 2. The only remaining question is whether or not pointing was somehow salvaged.

The optimistic view is maybe you can hold the New Controller in your left hand and a Wiimote in your right hand for FPS games. But this would require developers to support the feature. And considering EA, Valve, Activision act as though Move doesn't even exist, this is probably a long shot at best.

Jburton

Banned
I must be truthful and say that the Wii never interested me due to a lack of 3rd party support and due to the low power of the system.

I am however very interested in this, it seems the newer graphics chip will at least match 360/PS3 and will probably provide solid 720p/60fps and a possibility of more 1080p/30fps titles.

The ability to gain access to the likes of the latest COD / Battlefield games, at a level on or above 360 / PS3 really improves it marketability to the high end user ....... who might like Nintendo first party but couldn't deal with the low power, difficult online infrastructure and lack of high end 3rd party tiles.

Nintendo not getting games like the Bioshock 1,2,3 / COD / Portal 1,2 etc couldn't continue.

Mael

1-D_FTW said:
Yup. Been known since the first rumors leaked. Between 01.net and GI's developer remarks ("Doing it right this time." "No gimmicks."), it became pretty crystal clear by about day 2. The only remaining question is whether or not pointing was somehow salvaged.

The optimistic view is maybe you can hold the New Controller in your left hand and a Wiimote in your right hand for FPS games. But this would require developers to support the feature. And considering EA, Valve, Activision act as though Move doesn't even exist, this is probably a long shot at best.

so no fps next gen either, great....

Chinese Electric Batman said:
People prefer the Wiimote?

Haha.

In the same way people prefer to drive while sober.

TheRagnCajun said:

SquareEnix PlayOnline > DS
EA Online ID / Pass > DS/Wii

He just means that being an open system, developers can build games on their own networks / infrastructure without issue. Its the same on PlayStation platforms really. If you remember, there was a period where EA were in dispute with Microsoft over how to handle user/community information on Xbox Live -- EA wanted greater access to users, and to use their own framework.

Chinese Electric Batman said:
People prefer the Wiimote?

Haha.

Definitely -
Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil 4, GoldenEye 007, Call of Duty: World at War - are all examples of games with excellent Remote+Nunchuck controls. I think having dual stick controls is important for capturing dudebro gamers, but I would hope that some FPS' retain an option for pointer controls.

Mafro said:
EA with MoH and their sports games, and Monster Hunter Tri which used Capcom's own servers.

ok Thanks. I honestly haven't played any of those games.

Edit: So basically so long as Valve wants to do it, Nintendo isn't going to get in their way.

JaseC

Eteric Rice said:
You said "Nintendo gets it."

WHERE THE FUCK AM I?!

pVQIa.jpg

1-D_FTW

Mael said:
so no fps next gen either, great....

In the same way people prefer to drive while sober.

I'm with you. I'll have to stick with PC only for shooters if this is true. I'm holding out a faint hope for E3, but I'm not real optimistic. I take an Amir0x like entrenchment on this issue. If something is so broken you have to design auto-aim into the game to compensate, then the controller is broken and not worth my time (Obviously Amir0x holds a different view on what's broken and what's not). I still think the controller will be pretty cool, but unless there's a drastic surprise, I'll never play a single FPS game on the system in my life. I don't do broken. I don't mind having to make adjustments to adapt to something, but I don't do broken. And games requiring auto-aim = broken.

Mael

cacildo said:
Oh yes we do.

Aiming with a dual analog feels terribly stupid after playing with the wiimote.

Nah it doesn't feels stupid it just makes for convenient targets, I'm all for being given unfair advantages :p

1-D_FTW said:
I'm with you. I'll have to stick with PC only for shooters if this is true. I'm holding out a faint hope for E3, but I'm not real optimistic. I take an Amir0x like entrenchment on this issue. If something is so broken you have to design auto-aim into the game to compensate, then the controller is broken and not worth my time (Obviously Amir0x holds a different view on what's broken and what's not). I still think the controller will be pretty cool, but unless there's a drastic surprise, I'll never play a single FPS game on the system in my life. I don't do broken. I don't mind having to make adjustments to adapt to something, but I don't do broken. And games requiring auto-aim = broken.

so very well said.
Nothing to add or remove.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Steam partnership would be God tier, and thus impossible.

I kinda just assume Nintendo are doing more deals and trying to get big name franchises on their system.

I'm not much on shooters, but one thing I really miss on Wii is racing games. I seriously hope that if all of these Cafe rumors are true, we'll be able to get Burnout and Shift type stuff.

Steamworks integration required by Nintendo for online games.

Some games let you do cross-platform play, you can log in and download compatible games on PC/Super Wii/Mac OSX.

People can host their own dedicated servers using their consoles, or use dedicated PCs / rent servers.

mw35he.png

Glass Joe

EatChildren said:
Steam partnership would be God tier, and thus impossible.

I kinda just assume Nintendo are doing more deals and trying to get big name franchises on their system.

Either would be fine by me. But the translation about "marketing" keeps me pessimistic. Until we know, it could just mean Iwata wants more Donkey Kong toys in Happy Meals.

megashock5 said:
I'm not much on shooters, but one thing I really miss on Wii is racing games. I seriously hope that if all of these Cafe rumors are true, we'll be able to get Burnout and Shift type stuff.

I definitely second this. I would also like a space sim / shooter of some sort. I miss Rogue Squadron type games. Something in the vain of Warhawk would be great too.

Glass Joe said:
Either would be fine by me. But the translation about "marketing" keeps me pessimistic. Until we know, it could just mean Iwata wants more Donkey Kong toys in Happy Meals.

I would not be against this!

super-mario.jpg

Does all this mean that Cafe won't need a TV like....AT ALL for some games? Obviously for Wii games it will but still, pretty impressive feat if true.

StevePharma said:
Does all this mean that Cafe won't need a TV like....AT ALL for some games? Obviously for Wii games it will but still, pretty impressive feat if true.

Well there's some DS games where you could tape over the top screen and pretend it wasn't there, so yeah. But I wouldn't expect it to be the norm by any means.

Starchasing said:
have you ever seen a handheld?

:D

What I meant was that the streaming of supposedly disc based games to a controller is new for a home based console. It seems to become some sort of hybrid machine in my mind, blurring the line between portable/console (like a VMU+) excluding external TV output. Sony could go this way with the NGP too I guess.

StevePharma said:

What I meant was that the streaming of supposedly disc based games to a controller is new for a home based console. It seems to become some sort of hybrid machine in my mind, blurring the line between portable/console (like a VMU+) excluding external TV output. Sony could go this way with the NGP too I guess.

Whats the difference between a handheld and streaming the game from a console?

StevePharma said:

The issue would be, how would you navigate the console's menu to select/load your game and stream it to the handhelds without a TV attached?... UNLESS, there is a small display on the console itself, just for this purpose. Or, an "auto-boot" feature that loads whatever game you have inserted directly to the TV, and if no TV is detected, directly to the handhelds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom