• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoanarch

Stephen Colbert said:
You're right. Here is a perfect mockup of how the controller should look.

[IM]http://files.g4tv.com/ImageDb3/259143_S/Meet-the-NGP-Tech-Specs-and-More.jpg[/IMG]

It's comfortable and ergonomic, easy to use and has everything. I think the GBA 2 should also look like that.

Thats designed to be portable. The Cafe controller will be designed for comfort. Look at the back of any console controller to get an idea.

Graphics Horse said:
They're underneath. No point having big visible prongs poking down when your controller is already taller than a GCN controller and needs a large flat covered area.
Wouldn't that just push the controller down every time you use a shoulder button?

That mock up is not very nice at all, how the fuck would you use that right analog. Would you be holding the controller with our finger tips, otherwise you'd have your thumb in some weird ass angle.

ShockingAlberto said:
Wouldn't that just push the controller down every time you use a shoulder button?

Not sure I follow, but I appreciate the handles are angled away from the button surface on the GCN controller, so I'm not saying it's perfect.

ShockingAlberto said:
IGN said "an iPad with handles."

Somehow this results in none of the mockups having handles.

Stream controller to be 2 Gamecubes duck-taped together confirmed.

nkBgz.jpg

Snuggler said:
Has it been denied that the controller could have touch screen buttons in place of traditional face buttons?

Yes.
It apparently has the same buttons as the Classic Con Pro, but in different places.

Woffls

Snuggler said:
Has it been denied that the controller could have touch screen buttons in place of traditional face buttons?
There's a nice quote nearby saying that Nintendo will have buttons on all their systems for now because that's how games should be played. That and all the reports have confirmed buttons. I'll go find it.

[edit] Okay not a direct quote from what I can tell, but it's interpreted from the conference they had this morning, I think. "Nintendo feels that gaming is better with buttons, so you won’t see a machine without them"

I assume if the screen is touch-based then it would have to be reachable by players' thumbs, so it can't be propped on TOP of the buttons and sticks. It would probably have to be in the middle, and I can't imagine them implementing a screen as large as 6 inches on this thing. I was thinking like iPhone/DSi size screens, which would be an ideal size. At this point I'm thinking of the Playstation setup (with the analog and D-pad switch etc.) with the two handles stretched apart to fit a 3-4 inch screen in the middle. Perfection.

Snuggler said:

Only in that Iwata's conference call thinggy yesterday he specifically talked about the importance of physical buttons.

Instro

Snuggler said:

I believe Iwata specifically said that they think physical buttons are better for gaming yesterday. Theres a quote about it in the Nintendo fiscal call thread.

This fall there will be cheap, family oriented android tablets all over the market. Nintendo want a part of the pie.

Sure they want to compete with sony and microsoft but their main focus is on keeping evolving.

Epcott

Great news... I didn't think Nintendo would outright announce Cafe so soon.

Wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo sold the controller alone around $75 a piece, and a parallax barrier 3D version months to a year later (to bring 3D gaming home without need of glasses) for $120.

I also see Sony and Microsoft incorporating a screen into their next gen of consoles (obviously). But I wonder if they'll be pricing lower than $400. That would make this Bizzaro World indeed.

radioheadrule83 said:
This one is really good but I now see why the right analog might have to be above the buttons, you could accidentally hit the slider with your palm while trying to push the face buttons.

Would only happen if you were holding it with your thumb vertical to the edge of the controller, which would cause your wrist to cramp up fast if you're holding it in such a position as to see the screen full on (which seems like the most natural position to hold it in.

Woffls

So how much are we betting on Sony unveiling some tenuous compatibility between PS3 and their new tablets at E3? They might be a little busy until then, mind :p

Epcott said:
Wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo sold the controller alone around $75 a piece, and a parallax barrier 3D version months to a year later (to bring 3D gaming home without need of glasses) for $120.

That would totally kill the local multiplayer/family thing that Nintendo is known for though. I don't think controllers will be that expensive (regardless of how advanced tech-wise they are)

Discotheque said:
That would totally kill the local multiplayer/family thing that Nintendo is known for though. I don't think controllers will be that expensive (regardless of how advanced tech-wise they are)

$75 doesn't sound too bad considering it will have a touchscreen and it's own processor and whatnot. not to mention 360 and PS3 controllers are $50

Kintaco

I'll throw my Stream controller into the mix.
QdCPE.png

The screen is 16:10 but there is a notification banner on top, the game portion of the screen is 16:9. The bottom part of the controller has all the "weight" so it shouldn't feel top heavy.

Zee-Row

Banned
My local news posted something about Project Cafe

http://www.tampabay.com/features/popculture/article1165944.ece

The advent of the next generation of home gaming consoles has officially commenced, with Nintendo announcing Monday the successor to its ubiquitous Wii.

The company said in a press release that the unnamed system will be revealed at the E3 gaming expo in L.A. this June, Kotaku reports, ending months of speculation that the Japanese company is packing up the motion-controlled wonderbox. The new console will go on sale in 2012, a full two years before the rumored release dates of new systems from competitors Microsoft and Sony.

The question is, will anyone care?

After shipping 86 million units (not selling, an important distinction that has been questioned before), Nintendo has fallen on hard times. Despite owning a sales lead of more than 30 million over both Sony and Microsoft, sales are now at their lowest point, and critics argue — rightfully so — that the Wii simply can't compete with the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on a library-to-library basis. So Nintendo's answer is to send the Wii off into its twilight years, leaving you, the avid gamer, to figure out what to do with your scads of Wiimotes, peripheral attachments and sub-par games.

There are no other details provided about this system, rumored to be codenamed Project Cafe. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has said the company "would like to propose a new approach to home video game consoles." With a wide-open statement like that, 2012 could see anything from 3D to VR holodecks. Wait, no, scratch the 3D.

"It's difficult to make 3D images a key feature, because 3D televisions haven't obtained wide acceptance yet," Iwata told Bloomberg.

Indeed, 3D is a good metaphor for the coming next-gen of gaming consoles. While television manufacturers are pushing the format high and hard, it's failing to gain an appreciable audience, due largely to its cost and, I theorize, its lack of necessity. Even Nintendo's own 3DS handheld system update, released in the U.S. last month, isn't selling as the company had hoped, despite its nifty features and no-glasses-needed 3D screen.

The 3DS moved about 400,000 units in North America its first week, down from the 500,000 to 750,000 analysts expected, GameZone reports. What's more, the previous iterations, the DSi and DSiXL, sold 460,000 units in the same time period. Selling 3.61 million units globally since being released in February is hardly a disappointment for the 3DS, but it's proof that newer isn't always perceived as better.

A further complication is that the average gamer — who is 35 years old (and also prone to obesity and depression, I must note), according to a 2008 study published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine — may be reaching the age where early adoption of the latest gadget isn't the consumer carrot it used to be. Indeed, while children, teens and young adults with disposable income will always crave the latest and best game gadget, plenty of gamers will look at the next generation of consoles, shrug and think, weren't downloadable console software updates supposed to change all this?

The good news is that the seventh generation we are currently in will mark the end of the longtime industry model of all the major players releasing new systems nearly simultaneously. There have often been a year or so between when manufacturers release options, but by spacing Project Cafe's release as much as two years or more before its potential competition, Nintendo is telegraphing a complete and utter unwillingness (or inability) to compete head-to-head with technocrats Sony and Microsoft.

This is a positive for gaming, partly because it may alter the cycle of packing away old systems while starting from scratch with new libraries, but mostly through the eventual demonstration that simply creating a new system won't work if the Big Three doesn't put just as much time into building quality software support. Who cares how new your razor is if the blades can't cut close enough for the cost to be worth it?

This announcement is far from a magic bullet for Nintendo's business woes, since it's entirely possible gamers may decide the video game king really has lost its mojo. 2001's GameCube was a technologically inferior box that suffered from a lack of third-party support. 2006's Wii may, in hindsight, also be seen as a fad that soon lost its luster once people realized that 85 percent of the titles for it were shovelware.

What does this mean for Project Cafe? Well, you know the old saying: Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me; and fool me three times, I should have bought an Xbox.

— Joshua Gillin writes about video games and entertainment news for tbt*. Feel free to challenge his opinions at jgillin@tampabay.com.

[Last modified: Apr 25, 2011 06:22 PM]

CoffeeJanitor said:
MOCKUP.png

Reposting my mockup since that seems to be all the rage right now.

Please let me know what I should change with the design.

That would be an awesome name if you dropped the "Cafe" part of it.

MisterHero

HOLY SHIT @ the Tampa Bay article

I'd call tobias but someone might contest that based on my tobias
Kintaco said:
I'll throw my Stream controller into the mix.

The screen is 16:10 but there is a notification banner on top, the game portion of the screen is 16:9. The bottom part of the controller has all the "weight" so it shouldn't feel top heavy.
I like this one a lot. :) It doesn't scream clunky console controller or next Gameboy, neither of which is what it should be

I think you forgot the either the shoulder or the trigger buttons though

Ace_235 said:
So is Nintendo just gonna abandon the Wii-mote?
(missed most of the thread.)
It's not if it's going to handle Wii games (still a rumor)

Chittagong

Gold Member
So, with regards to that partnering quote from Iwata, here are my bets starting from most likely

Nintendo doesn't need to do itself...

...the social network - Facebook
...the online store - Steam
...the OS - Android

Chittagong said:
So, with regards to that partnering quote from Iwata, here are my bets starting from most likely

...the OS - Android
I'm still pretty sure he was just talking about marketing.

Instro

Chittagong said:

...the OS - Android

Starbucks

Kibbles

Analog sticks should never be on the same horizontal position. They need to be sloped up and down like the Xbox 360 controller.
Zee-Row said:

The advent of the next generation of home gaming consoles has officially commenced, with Nintendo announcing Monday the successor to its ubiquitous Wii.

The company said in a press release that the unnamed system will be revealed at the E3 gaming expo in L.A. this June, Kotaku reports, ending months of speculation that the Japanese company is packing up the motion-controlled wonderbox. The new console will go on sale in 2012, a full two years before the rumored release dates of new systems from competitors Microsoft and Sony.

After shipping 86 million units (not selling, an important distinction that has been questioned before), Nintendo has fallen on hard times. Despite owning a sales lead of more than 30 million over both Sony and Microsoft, sales are now at their lowest point, and critics argue — rightfully so — that the Wii simply can't compete with the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on a library-to-library basis. So Nintendo's answer is to send the Wii off into its twilight years, leaving you, the avid gamer, to figure out what to do with your scads of Wiimotes, peripheral attachments and sub-par games.

There are no other details provided about this system, rumored to be codenamed Project Cafe. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has said the company "would like to propose a new approach to home video game consoles." With a wide-open statement like that, 2012 could see anything from 3D to VR holodecks. Wait, no, scratch the 3D.

"It's difficult to make 3D images a key feature, because 3D televisions haven't obtained wide acceptance yet," Iwata told Bloomberg.

Indeed, 3D is a good metaphor for the coming next-gen of gaming consoles. While television manufacturers are pushing the format high and hard, it's failing to gain an appreciable audience, due largely to its cost and, I theorize, its lack of necessity. Even Nintendo's own 3DS handheld system update, released in the U.S. last month, isn't selling as the company had hoped, despite its nifty features and no-glasses-needed 3D screen.

The 3DS moved about 400,000 units in North America its first week, down from the 500,000 to 750,000 analysts expected, GameZone reports. What's more, the previous iterations, the DSi and DSiXL, sold 460,000 units in the same time period. Selling 3.61 million units globally since being released in February is hardly a disappointment for the 3DS, but it's proof that newer isn't always perceived as better.

A further complication is that the average gamer — who is 35 years old (and also prone to obesity and depression, I must note), according to a 2008 study published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine — may be reaching the age where early adoption of the latest gadget isn't the consumer carrot it used to be. Indeed, while children, teens and young adults with disposable income will always crave the latest and best game gadget, plenty of gamers will look at the next generation of consoles, shrug and think, weren't downloadable console software updates supposed to change all this?

The good news is that the seventh generation we are currently in will mark the end of the longtime industry model of all the major players releasing new systems nearly simultaneously. There have often been a year or so between when manufacturers release options, but by spacing Project Cafe's release as much as two years or more before its potential competition, Nintendo is telegraphing a complete and utter unwillingness (or inability) to compete head-to-head with technocrats Sony and Microsoft.

This is a positive for gaming, partly because it may alter the cycle of packing away old systems while starting from scratch with new libraries, but mostly through the eventual demonstration that simply creating a new system won't work if the Big Three doesn't put just as much time into building quality software support. Who cares how new your razor is if the blades can't cut close enough for the cost to be worth it?

This announcement is far from a magic bullet for Nintendo's business woes, since it's entirely possible gamers may decide the video game king really has lost its mojo. 2001's GameCube was a technologically inferior box that suffered from a lack of third-party support. 2006's Wii may, in hindsight, also be seen as a fad that soon lost its luster once people realized that 85 percent of the titles for it were shovelware.

What does this mean for Project Cafe? Well, you know the old saying: Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me; and fool me three times, I should have bought an Xbox.

— Joshua Gillin writes about video games and entertainment news for tbt*. Feel free to challenge his opinions at jgillin@tampabay.com.

The DJs on my radio station were sort of smack-talking it today as well. They said anyone who bought a Wii during christmas is screwed as Nintendo is releasing their next console early next year. They proceeded to talk about how they like the Wii but he won't be getting the new console since it'll probably be too expensive and he still enjoys having fun with the Wii.

The Lamp

Nintendo's been saying for quite a while now that they are working on a new network structure that will probably pleasantly surprise you; I wouldn't be shocked if it resembled Steam.

This new controller idea + that would be very intriguing indeed.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Chittagong said:

...the OS - Android

It was about marketing, and them placing too much emphasis on their own games which harmed perception of the platform.

JBuccCP

Really hope the thing has handles to hold onto or has some sort of curved sides and is't flat like a portable. My hands always fall asleep when playing a portable for an extended time and I think that's why.

Zee-Row

Banned
The Lamp said:
Nintendo's been saying for quite a while now that they are working on a new network structure that will probably pleasantly surprise you; I wouldn't be shocked if it resembled Steam.

This new controller idea + that would be very intriguing indeed.
When did they say this?

Zee-Row said:

There are so many things wrong with this article. The Gamecube was superior to the PS2 and was slightly under the Xbox. The Wii is still selling on par with the 360 and PS3 WW and they will not exceed its LTD sales. Also gamers have been preaching/predicting Nintendo's doom since the SNES days so I don't see this massive downhill slope the author is trying to draw. Another thing is in a few years there will be succesors to the 360 and PS3 so the point of consumers being unwilling to adopt new technology will apply to them as well as Apple.

Outside of his uninformed, hyperbolic and borderline trollish comments he does have a few vaild points though.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
MYE said:
I exagerated the size of some of the elements of my second shop so as requested:

-slightly bigger screen
-smaller camera
-smaller face buttons. Position tewaked
-much smaller D-pad. Position tweaked
-smaller home/stream/power
-shit logo removed :p

I had to do this in MSPaint so some of the re-touched elements might look a bit distorted

http://i.imgur.com/5jT6K.png[IMG]

Didnt see this posted so here's an um, [I]interesting[/I] mockup i found at Kotaku.

[IMG]http://betacache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2011/04/xlarge_mohammed-abdullah.jpg[IMG]

Dunno why it has a cord though. Foreboding short battery life issues? lol
And pardon my ignorance but what the hell is a 'haptic button'?[/QUOTE]

This is a really nice mockup. Good job MYE.

AND FOR THE PEOPLE PM'ING ME AND GIVING ME CREDIT:

I, Jinfash, am not responsible for these.

Me and MYE have similar tastes in men and avatars, but that's where all the similarities end!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom