• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woffls

optimiss said:
Striim.jpg
I actually thought of that last night and thought "nawww, someone probably said that like 5 minutes after". Certainly plausible, given the weight that the 'ii' is likely to carry in the mainstream. And hopefully that's far enough away from 'Wii' for hardcore gamers to not be all liek "lol Nintendo".

And from now on, every Nintendo console will have 'ii' in the middle.

wsippel

Banned
Chittagong said:
So, with regards to that partnering quote from Iwata, here are my bets starting from most likely

Nintendo doesn't need to do itself...

...the social network - Facebook
...the online store - Steam
...the OS - Android
Makes no sense. They don't own Facebook, they don't own Steam, and the OS is completely irrelevant on a closed, dedicated platform.

Zee-Row said:
leaving you, the avid gamer, to figure out what to do with your scads of Wiimotes, and sub-par games.[/B]

How about use them for the inevitable backwards compatibility with stellar games like Galaxy, Prime Trilogy and (hopefully) Skyward Sword????

M74

Lord_Byron28 said:
There are so many things wrong with this article. The Gamecube was superior to the PS2 and was slightly under the Xbox. The Wii is still selling on par with the 360 and PS3 WW and they will not exceed its LTD sales. Also gamers have been preaching/predicting Nintendo's doom since the SNES days so I don't see this massive downhill slope the author is trying to draw. Another thing is in a few years there will be succesors to the 360 and PS3 so the point of consumers being unwilling to adopt new technology will apply to them as well as Apple.

Outside of his uninformed, hyperbolic and borderline trollish comments he does have a few vaild points though.
Feel free to challenge his opinions at jgillin@tampabay.com.

Do it.

Glass Joe

If I had the Photoshop skills, I'd take the bottom half of the 3DS, widen the screen to 16:10, switch the 3DS's slide pad to a typical analog, and add some Classic Controller Pro style grips. And I bet I'd be pretty much right.

Looking at all the mock-ups is fun, and I enjoy the creativity everyone's displaying. But of those I've viewed so far, this poster had it pretty darn close to what I've imagined it being:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2011/04/sam_spratt_nintendo_wii2_projectcafe_2.jpg

Pyrokai

Like I said, Nintendo has quite a hard sell with this new console.

And omg people stop using slide pads instead of analog sticks. You're scaring the crap out of me.

Pyrokai said:
Like I said, Nintendo has quite a hard sell with this new console.

And omg people stop using slide pads instead of analog sticks. You're scaring the crap out of me.

It's hard to sell anything that costs more than a couple hundred dollars, especially a game machine.
I think Nintendo still has a lot of tricks up its sleeves though.

antonz

If they are going for a tablet like look I expect slide pads will replace sticks. They arent going to make a sleak tablet looking device than had 1 inch sticks poking out of it

MisterHero

Deku said:
My guess is Joshua Gillin is lurking on GAF right now. Somone call him out.
His writing style is eerily similar to Steven Kent's when he wrote about the Revolution including the "Fool me once" quote, which he used in one article

I'd ask if it was Steven Kent but it needs more comparisons to drinking problems

HeySeuss

optimiss said:
6r7pxi.png
That mockup is ok, bit I really love the name "Striim". It ties it to the Wii in a nice subtle way. Bravo good sir/madam. Genius.

antonz said:
If they are going for a tablet like look I expect slide pads will replace sticks. They arent going to make a sleak tablet looking device than had 1 inch sticks poking out of it

If they're going for function over form, which is what a controller is all about, they should go with analog sticks.

VerTiGo

Banned
AceBandage said:
It's pretty damn good.

So I wouldn't be surprised if they pursued the use of a slide pad. Well, not necessarily, but further developing the technology behind the analog stick to make them more discreet.

Amir0x

Banned
yeah the 3DS slide pad is not too shabby

as far as slide pad's go, anyway. Analogs > Slide Pads, though, unconditionally

VerTiGo

Banned
ezekial45 said:
Sorry, i haven't been following this too well.

Is this supposed to be a console that doesn't run on your television?

It wouldn't have too.

If it's like On Live it'll be the hardware doing the work and just streaming the game images to the controller if desired by the user.

I wonder if digital download games will be made for both Cafe and the 3DS. Cafe games streamed to 3DS for 3D visuals? I wouldn't rule it out...

ezekial45 said:
Sorry, i haven't been following this too well.

Is this supposed to be a console that doesn't run on your television?

What info we have so far suggests that the console will output to a TV, but will also be able to stream game info to a screen on tablet-ish controllers. It's also supposed to be able to stream games to the controller screen when the TV is off so you can play without having to have access to the TV.

Luigison

Glass Joe said:
If I had the Photoshop skills, I'd take the bottom half of the 3DS, widen the screen to 16:10, switch the 3DS's slide pad to a typical analog, and add some Classic Controller Pro style grips. And I bet I'd be pretty much right.

Looking at all the mock-ups is fun, and I enjoy the creativity everyone's displaying. But of those I've viewed so far, this poster had it pretty darn close to what I've imagined it being:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2011/04/sam_spratt_nintendo_wii2_projectcafe_2.jpg
I agree, but couldn't shake the feeling I'd seen it before so I did a Google image search for Gamecube portable and
gamecube_portable.jpg

portable_gamecube.jpg

medium_portable-gamecube.jpg

Give one of those a widescreen, standard X, Y, A, and B buttons, removes so of the extra space, and clean them up a bit and that's essentially what's left.

VerTiGo

Banned
Amir0x said:
yeah the 3DS slide pad is not too shabby

as far as slide pad's go, anyway. Analogs > Slide Pads, though, unconditionally

Pointer > Right Analog stick -- unless it's for camera control. Just saying.

Two control methods is a given. Various rumors have mentioned this as well.

Wiimote -> Wiimote Plus
Classic Controller Pro -> Stream Controller
Madcatz Fight Pad -> Wireless Madcatz Fight Pad (which suck -- wired one is better)

NeoUltima

So like, can this thing be used as a handheld as well as a console...Like, remote play with Ps3/PSP?

Sorry I don not followin this thing hardcore.

edit: to clarify, I mean like from a far distance like how remote play on psp is. But then it wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to do that cause it would cannibalize sales...so nvm I guess I answered my own question.

Amir0x

Banned
VerTiGo said:
Pointer > Right Analog stick -- unless it's for camera control. Just saying.

And you've just said. Wrongly, of course, but you did indeed "just say" it.

VerTiGo said:
Two control methods is a given. Various rumors have mentioned this as well.

Wiimote -> Wiimote Plus
Classic Controller Pro - Stream Controller.

Two control methods as in they're going to include TWO different types of controllers inside the box, or that it will just "support" another controller that'll never be used in 99.9% of cases like the Classic Controller? Imo there's no way there's gonna be two different controllers out of the box. One, the logistics of pretty much requiring you to buy at least two of each controller, let alone assuring consumers that this is all somehow NOT more complicated than what came before, would be insane. Talk about confusing.

Obviously, in this case, the "Stream" Controller would be the go-to controller included out of the box, with the wiimote being the controller being more like the Classic Controller in that it'll be roundly ignored by all but the most intrepid developers who don't care about making games for a fraction of a userbase.

VerTiGo

Banned
optimiss said:
resistive is like the ds. they respond best to a stylus and usually dont support multitouch. capacitive is like the iphone/ipad which are more responsive.

When this news first broke it was mentioned that it wouldn't support multitouch.

I would love is this controller featured both Stylus control and touch. Kirby Canvas Curse and Advance Wars DS sequels with some horsepower behind it would be great. Loved that shit.

M74

VerTiGo said:
but further developing the technology behind the analog stick to make them more discreet
Is completely unwanted in the console arena. Relegate the nubs to handhelds where they're form is a product of necessity and function, and keep them there.

Glass Joe

Luigison said:
I agree, but couldn't shake the feeling I'd seen it before so I did a Google image search for Gamecube portable and

(images)

Give one of those a widescreen, standard X, Y, A, and B buttons, removes so of the extra space, and clean them up a bit and that's essentially what's left.

Yeah similar concept. It will pretty much be the bottom of the 3DS (with a speaker added). Take those pictures, cut the fat and give it the 3DS design mentality and I bet it's pretty close to the real deal. I suppose those GC portable mockups have the essence, just not the sleekness.

VerTiGo

Banned
Amir0x said:
And you've just said. Wrongly, of course, but you did indeed "just say" it.

Two control methods as in they're going to include TWO different types of controllers inside the box, or that it will just "support" another controller that'll never be used in 99.9% of cases like the Classic Controller?

Obviously, in this case, the "Stream" Controller would be the go-to controller included out of the box, with the wiimote being the controller being more like the Classic Controller in that it'll be roundly ignored by all but the most intrepid developers who don't care about making games for a fraction of a userbase.

If the Stream controller is pricey I would assume that the Wiimote and Wiimoe Plus may be forward compatible even for Project Cafe software. The Stream controller feels like Nintendo's attempt to further evolve the more traditional game pad. Both Motion and NES classic games did extremely well for Nintendo.

P.S. - Pointer control is more efficient for many things in game design. You're a Metroid Prime hater tho, so I kind of don't like you anyway.

Stream will be the GameCube successor. Not the Wii successor.

optimiss said:
resistive is like the ds. they respond best to a stylus and usually dont support multitouch. capacitive is like the iphone/ipad which are more responsive.

it should be mentioned that they DO support multitouch and CAN be extremely responsive. however with the move to capacitative, few people seen resistive screens do either dispite its ablitity to do such

optimiss

From The Dust said:
it should be mentioned that they DO support multitouch and CAN be extremely responsive. however with the move to capacitative, few people seen resistive screens do either dispite its ablitity to do such
i imagine resistive screens of that quality are probably too expensive to be included in a console if the DS screens are anything to go by.

VerTiGo

Banned
AniHawk said:
the best part of that article.

Maybe if he's just talking about U.S. gamers. But the dollar is taking a dive so maybe the demographic will start dropping a few pounds. REALTALK. HAAA

Amir0x

Banned
VerTiGo said:
If the Stream controller is pricey I would assume that the Wiimote and Wiimoe Plus may be forward compatible even for Project Cafe software. The Stream controller feels like Nintendo's attempt to further evolve the more traditional game pad. Both Motion and NES classic games did extremely well for Nintendo.

You're saying there's going to be mandatory "all games must function with both controllers" clause from Nintendo or some shit? What would even be the point of that? Causing developers most headaches to try to get a scheme working with one or the other, thus limiting either/or in some way. There's a reason why traditional pads are superior to the wiimote we got - and there's a reason why Stream is a step in the right direction in returning to our button-y glory. There's no way Nintendo is going to half-in/half-out this shit by requiring some weird rules or having two controller types in the box.

Certainly, wiimote will work with the Stream Nintendo system but it will function in the same capacity as the Classic Controller: a rarity utilized on a very, very select few occasions when a game absolutely demands it. And in most cases developers will figure out a way to make sure a game doesn't demand it rather than developing to a reduced userbase.

VerTiGo said:
P.S. - Pointer control is more efficient for many things in game design. You're a Metroid Prime hater tho, so I kind of don't like you anyway.

And now you don't even know who you're talking to. Anihawk is up there.

VerTiGo

Banned
Who would've thought that Nintendo would be the first major game company to make the home console a handheld too. I'm quite impressed.

VerTiGo

Banned
Amir0x said:
You're saying there's going to be mandatory "all games must function with both controllers" clause from Nintendo or some shit? What would even be the point of that? Causing developers most headaches to try to get a scheme working with one or the other, thus limiting either/or in some way. There's a reason why traditional pads are superior to the wiimote we got - and there's a reason why Stream is a step in the right direction in returning to our button-y glory. There's no way Nintendo is going to half-in/half-out this shit by requiring some weird rules or having two controller types in the box.

Certainly, wiimote will work with the Stream Nintendo system but it will function in the same capacity as the Classic Controller: a rarity utilized on a very, very select few occasions when a game absolutely demands it. And in most cases developers will figure out a way to make sure a game doesn't demand it rather than developing to a reduced userbase.

And now you don't even know who you're talking to. Anihawk is up there.

I'm not saying it will be mandatory. But games like Just Dance, EA Sports Active, Wii Sports, etc... won't be going anywhere either. Some games could be able to support both control methods, others not so much. Microsoft does it with Kinect and it's not that huge of an issue to market to different control methods to two potentially different consumer bases for a single platform.

For instance, I would prefer to play Call of Duty with pointer controls, but the game could feature both that and dual-analog. In reality, I wouldn't play Call of Duty at all.

And for the inevitable, in specific to me as a gamer, I would have to get a Madcatz fightpad for SSFIV: Turbo and Tekken vs. SF, if not an arcade stick.

I beg to differ. Pointer controls made both Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime more playable. It was the best feature of the Wii's interface. It would be easy to improve, especially with the news of an improved sensor bar.

dwu8991

Banned
I really hope to see classic nes style controlls. They will never go out of fashion! I will play any 2D platformer over any other controls.

VerTiGo said:
Who would've thought that Nintendo would be the first major game company to make the home console a handheld too. I'm quite impressed.
Whoever it was, they'd be wrong since Sega and NEC beat them to the punch like 20 years ago.
FgnTP.png

VoC36.jpg

VerTiGo

Banned
dwu8991 said:
I really hope to see classic nes style controlls. They will never go out of fashion! I will play any 2D platformer over any other controls.

No they won't go out of style. Nintendo proved that with the Wii already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom