• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
how far out from launch does Nintendo usually send out promotional material?

I dug up this post from the other thread.

Not sure but 3DS stuff started coming in early February for the late March launch last year. Based on that early October would be a good guess.

People generally believe it's too early for a November launch, but the supposed September Conference is in line with Wii's September Conference/November launch.

I'd love for an October release, but I'm not holding my breath.

Stulaw

Well, Nintendo released information on the 15th September 2006 so I wouldn't be surprised if it was the 14th this year since it's a friday.

Nintendo is not launching a system on a Wednesday. It'll be a Sunday in November or late October.

Who said anything about a Wednesday? It's a Thursday, and it's just the GMT time since that timer didn't include Japan timezones.

And everything releases on a Thursday in Japan.

EDIT: Oh, that November 21 was a typo. I meant November 18, My bad. :p

D-e-f-

Banned
It would be really annoying if they kept silent on Wii U again and held everything for their usual pre-TGS thing. I'd prefer if they made some actual new announcements or even teases during the August Nintendo Direct and then show the actual stuff off to press and whatnot at their pre-TGS event.

If they go "hey, Last Story just came out, and there's Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario ...and we hope you already bought a 3DS XL and NSMB2 but just in case let's talk about those again and we have a new console coming but more on that later. Here's something to hold you over (NSMB.U box art)" I'll run into a wall.

People generally believe it's too early for a November launch, but the supposed September Conference is in line with Wii's September Conference/November launch.

well, if they launch in late September or early October the launch window versus holiday release list would make more sense... but like you said, not getting hopes up... just hype.

3DS has its conference in January, and launched late March.

Conference: January 19, 2011
Launch: March 27, 2011

November is still fit.

MDX

Just got a text message that WiiU launch has been confirmed for October 1st.

Is this true? Any confirmation?

Banned
That actually made me chuckle, and I don't chuckle.

:)

So, comparing the wii launch, when did Nintendo start the advertising and Product placements in store and cover casings reveal happen? I think the Wii started it 2 months before launch, September. Going by that method, a late October launch to coordinate with launches of ACIII and Blops2 is not out of the question.

No. No confirmation yet. October 1st is a Monday and Nintendo's fiscal week starts on a Sunday (hence all the Sunday launches). I would believe a september 30th launch though.

Meelow

Banned
Just curious and wanted to compare Game Party Champions Wii U to the Xbox 360 version.

game-party-champions-wii-u_002.jpg_640.jpg

997717_20100819_screen003.jpg

Wii U version looks MUCH better.

Steph_E.

Rösti;40596135 said:
I've seen more and more posts about this fascination with gaming while sitting on the toilet, and I find it nasty. Unless you have some special water closet equipped with a fan or suction nozzle, fecal matter will most likely spread in the air while doing your business, and that matter may end up on your Wii U GamePad. And that's unsanitary, at least to me. Sure, having the controller with you once or twice probably won't cause any problems, but if you make it a habit you may end up with a smelly, revolting piece of plastic that nobody wants to touch. Of course you can use disinfectant on the controller, but I doubt that's good for it, and liquid can easily get stuck in crevices and cause unpleasantness.

By all means should you utilize the functions of the Wii U GamePad, but I think you should limit it from visiting the crapper.

There is an simple solution to most problems - seal the Wii U GamePad in a plastic bag before using it in the toilet. In fact why not seal it in a plastic bag permanently - it would stop mucky paw prints messing up that nice shiny screen.

There is an simple solution to most problems - seal the Wii U GamePad in a plastic bag before using it in the toilet. In fact why not seal it in a plastic bag permanently - it would stop mucky paw prints messing up that nice shiny screen.

Will we see a Wii U Gamepad condom from Nintendo?

JoeInky

So I've been thinking.

If devs used the excuse of not selling well on the Wii when there were Nintendo games on sale.

Does that mean that NintendoLand will make all the other shovelware minigame collection titles sell like crap and eventually the only games released on WiiU will be ones published by Nintendo?

WiiU will have no third party games calling it now.

HUR DUR WELL IT SHOULD LOOK BETTER THAN ON 7 YR OLD HARDWARE DERPY MCFLERP!!

I think he means that it looks better stylistically. It does. The characters don't look like weird mutants in the newer version, and there's less clutter. Then again, they're obviously not the same scenes.

I wouldn't mind something like the covers we used to get on keyboards that were molded so that you could still individually press keys.

MDX

Don't believe their lies. Bart Smit is notorious for making stuff up

Maybe, but Bart Smit is not the source.
So we'll see.

But Ive been predicting an October launch based on the number of ports
WiiU is getting. Just doesn't make sense to squeeze that many titles in late November
and forcing many games, especially older ports, to end up being 2013 titles.

Lol I know, but you know people these days.

There's too many (though not enough yet) shots, videos, demos, developer quotes and technical analysis for anyone to refute the argument any more. But yeah, looks miles better lol. As far as textures on basketballs go, Wii U's got it goin' on haha.

Edit: Again, it's that WiiU lighting engine that gives the mine difference for me... lighting/shadows are just mega!

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The Wii Remote Jacket was introduced to provide customers (mainly those that got their controllers lodged inside their television sets) with better grip. The Wii U GamePad is not used like the Wii Remote and offers "grip points" on the go, so I don't think it would be necessary for Nintendo to provide a jacket for it. If anything, I think some heavy straps will be included just in case. The Wii Remote could cause a lot of damage to a TV set, the GamePad could cause even more.

Rösti;40779343 said:
The Wii Remote Jacket was introduced to provide customers (mainly those that got their controllers lodged inside their television sets) with better grip. The Wii U GamePad is not used like the Wii Remote and offers "grip points" on the go, so I don't think it would be necessary for Nintendo to provide a jacket for it. If anything, I think some heavy straps will be included just in case. The Wii Remote could cause a lot of damage to a TV set, the GamePad could cause even more.

1. I was joking.

2. I thought the main reason for the jacket was to give the Wiimote a protective coating so it couldn't damage TVs/other people/etc. The wrist straps were to prevent them from flying out from people's hands.

Hoodbury

Nope, Im going to preliminary back it up with a link.

http://www.bartsmit.com/wii-u-zwart

for people who dont speak dutch:

Wordt 1 oktober 2012 verwacht!

says expected October 1st.

edit:
But its not my source :)

Lets pretend for a minute Oct 1st is true... What software would be ready by then?
NintendoLand perhaps?
Darksiders II?
Mass Effect 3
Batman
Scribblenauts
ZombiU?
What else???

Seems like if it came out that early, the launch day selection would be pretty small.

MDX

Lets pretend for a minute Oct 1st is true... What software would be ready by then?
NintendoLand perhaps?
Darksiders II?
Mass Effect 3
Batman
Scribblenauts
ZombiU?
What else???

Seems like if it came out that early, the launch day selection would be pretty small.

I had:

Assassin's Creed 3
Medal of Honor
Tekken U
Skylanders Giant
Zombi U
Dirt
Transformers Prime
Trine2
Toki Tori2
Madden 13
F1
Bit Trip Runner 2
Resident Evil*
007 Legends*

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Can't imagine many games would be ready at that point when all we keep hearing is November.

MDX

Can't imagine many games would be ready at that point when all we keep hearing is November.

Im being told...

Zombi-u
Batman
ME3
Darksiders 2
Pikmin (surprisingly)
Nintendoland (probably bundled)
Super Mario
Rayman (Surprisingly)

And AC3 at the end of Oct.

edit:
If this is true, It means Nintendo is leaving November and December open for 3rd Parties.

Meelow

Banned
That Xbox photo is probably just a lobby of sorts where there are Miis instead of avatars. I don't think they will bother to make graphics better for a multiplatform game.

The Wii U version isn't the same game, the Xbox version came out a while ago and this is a different game in the series.

Look at the Wii game of this.

game-party-20071212114709911.jpg

Hoodbury

Im being told...

Zombi-u
Batman
ME3
Darksiders 2
Pikmin (surprisingly)
Nintendoland (probably bundled)
Super Mario
Rayman (Surprisingly)

And AC3 at the end of Oct.

edit:
If this is true, It means Nintendo is leaving November and December open for 3rd Parties.

Jackson confirmed Scribblenauts would be there on day 1.

The Wii U version isn't the same game, the Xbox version came out a while ago and this is a different game in the series.

Look at the Wii game of this.

game-party-20071212114709911.jpg

[GAF Mode]

pffft, i barely see a difference between Wii and Wii U version

[/GAF Mode]

Seriously, it may be shovelware, but its good looking shovelware.

D-e-f-

Banned
That Xbox photo is probably just a lobby of sorts where there are Miis instead of avatars. I don't think they will bother to make graphics better for a multiplatform game.

Champions is an exclusive. The Xbox shot is from an old version.

Also, looks shitty because Avatars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom