• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

Fuck, on that buy 2 get 1. Has that ever happened at launch for a console? I wanted to make things Digital only this generation but I won't be able to resist. Between these types of deals and bargain bins, I may just need to adopt a blended philosophy.

Can't decide on a few things. Getting a deluxe, Nintendoland. Pretty sure I'll double dip on Batman and pick up ZombieU and NSMBU. Then, what would be next? COD, ACIII, Epic Mickey? Damn, this launch is stacked.

I like COD somewhat but don't do multiplayer (i know, sounds stupid but I like FPS) and not thrilled about the gameplay. Never played Assassin's Creed and think it might be time to jump in. Still have Epic Mickey 1 in the wrapper but get excited about those disney characters. I might get excited and buy 6 games. Any reccs on those 3 games?

Call Of Duty BLOPS 2 has a interesting single player campaign with some neat twists from what I've heard

I don't know a thing about Epic Mickey 2..

And AC3 seems to be a disappointment for a bunch of people. I would wait for reviews because the PS3 version is glitched as hell and even the 360 one has a few issues, so wait for some news.

Instead of getting a bunch of games at one time, you should spend time with ZombiU/NSMBU first and then buy another batch later when we know more

The Lamp

- tech would even theoretically support extending the GamePad's through wifi, meaning long-distance play

Too bad Nintendo probably wouldn't take advantage of anything cool their technology could "theoretically" do.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Has anyone's gamestop.com order not ship yet? Getting extremely anxious now, pondering on whether or not I should line up in front of Costco tomorrow.

Whoa. Talk about coincidence.

Im going through this thread when my gamestop manager i see every time i walk in there calls me to remind me of the launch on sunday. They are heavily emphasizing that 48 hour hold.

I mentioned how i guess that means for sure no midnight launch and he said gamestop doesnt do midnight launches for Nintendo products anymore because of Sunday releases.

He then went on to spout a twist on that old urban myth of Nintendo not launching on Tuesdays anymore because of student and workers calling in sick all over japan during major releases.

The original myth was about Dragon Quest, not zelda like he mentioned, and to think that would have any bearing in the States is silly.

Gamestop.

Anyway, 11 am for me. Not even an early opening. That sucks.

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
Which very likely means all the issues in the 360/PS3 versions (which are all post-day one patch) will be on full display in the Wii U version.

Yeah, some people read that as the new patch that's coming but it seems to me it suggests the day 1 patch the others got.

Edit the ubisoft post about the patch says platform all for the single player stuff. http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/726389-Assassin-s-Creed-III-Thanksgiving-Patch-Spoilers-Forums

Guess we won't know for sure until Sunday.

Eusis

Whoa. Talk about coincidence.

Im going through this thread when my gamestop calls me to remind me of the launch on sunday. They are heavily emphasizing that 48 hour hold.

I mentioned how i guess that means for sure no midnight launch and he said gamestop doesnt do midnight launches for Nintendo products anymore because of Sunday releases.

He then went on to spout a twist on that old urban myth of Nintendo not launching on Tuesdays anymore because of student and workers calling in sick all over japan during major releases.

The original myth was about Dragon Quest, not zelda like he mentioned, and to think that would have any bearing in the States is silly.

Gamestop.
Haha, reminds me of when the cashier swore Nintendo bought Sega and licensed out Sonic. Yeah, you'd more likely hear that about GTA or CoD here, not Nintendo games that are typically slow burners.

Sunday release COULD be a factor though, charging too much to have the store manned and putting off corporate.

what's my best bet for getting one of these on sunday if i don't have a pre-order? lining up outside of best buy or target? do any stores even plan on having stock that hasn't already been sold via pre-order?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Has Nintendo issued an official response yet about the lack of midnight launch events from Gamestop?

Has Nintendo issued an official response yet about the lack of midnight launch events from Gamestop?

It has nothing to do with Nintendo. It was left up to the individual managers at each GS if they wanted to use the payroll hours or not, it would seem the majority of them decided not to.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Why would there? There's no rule that stores are to participate in a midnight launch unless a publisher somehow wrangles it.

Haha, reminds me of when the cashier swore Nintendo bought Sega and licensed out Sonic. Yeah, you'd more likely hear that about GTA or CoD here, not Nintendo games that are typically slow burners.

Sunday release COULD be a factor though, charging too much to have the store manned and putting off corporate.

That is probably it. Its limited hardware, and they already have your future money ecause you cant go anywhere else. Major release games though are very very rarely sold out, and the customer can go anywhere, so might as well get that money now.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
It has nothing to do with Nintendo. It was left up to the individual managers at each GS if they wanted to use the payroll hours or not, it would seem the majority of them decided not to.
Oh, I thought it was a company wide decision. Do managers also have this discretion when it comes to other midnight launch of new products (such as Halo 4)? Anyways, it would still be helpful for Nintendo to acknowledge the issue and perhaps announce they will revisit their policy of Sunday product launches.

Are you reading this, Nintendo?

Kyzer

Banned
i see...you think best buy will just have the biggest stock? do you need to have costco membership to buy it from there? im assuming so...

best bet to line up and buy one sunday morning without a preorder?

Try a 24-hour Walmart. If not, Best Buy/Target.

I managed to snag a deluxe today on Target.com (they got a restock); I'll get it on Monday, but that's better than waiting in the freezing cold (I'm in NY).

Downhome

How long did the Target preorder that was up today last? I saw the post about it, checked and it was in stock, and a very short while later it was sold out. What was the window on that one?

How long did the Target preorder that was up today last? I saw the post about it, checked and it was in stock, and a very short while later it was sold out. What was the window on that one?

I would say about 20-30 minutes. I came upon it about 10 minutes after it went up.

I had no intention of getting NSMB-U, but I figured what the hell.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
i see...you think best buy will just have the biggest stock? do you need to have costco membership to buy it from there? im assuming so...

I would imagine it is different for each store (stock-wise). If I was you I would start calling around, most stores should already have their WiiU stock and be able to tell you if they have enough for walk-ins.

As for Costco, I'm pretty sure you do need a membership.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Preordered on 9/13. Authorization temp charge last sunday but nothing since.

OK, I guess they're just rolling them out in increments, hopefully that's the case.

Yes, but only in Wii mode. So you can't use it to play BLOPS 2 or anything.

Are you sure about that? I think I recall seeing compatibility for wii remote accessories for wii u games, most notably Tekken tag Tournament 2.

Anth0ny

What is there to hype, its basically sold out nationwide so what is pushing it going to do?

It's strange, Wii didn't have this problem. There were plenty of units for pre-order people and non pre-order people. With Wii U, it sounds like people who pre-ordered back in SEPTEMBER are being turned away, and people who didn't pre-order are completely shit outta luck. wtf?

Are you sure about that? I think I recall seeing compatibility for wii remote accessories for wii u games, most notably Tekken tag Tournament 2.

Hmm, maybe I am conflating this with the pro-controller-not-working-in-Wii-mode restriction. Can anyone with more knowledge chime in?

5GHhO.jpg

Gahiggidy

btw, what's the Day-1 allocation in the US?

Symphonic

Oh college life, wish I could afford this. Have been getting myself hyped over it for the past couple of weeks, self torture and all that.

There any good Black Friday and on deals for the Pro?

antonz

btw, what's the Day-1 allocation in the US?

A lot of confusing numbers going around. NOA says allocation is greater than Wii Launch which was 476k. Gamestop the other day said they had a launch allocation of 500k which doesn't seem reasonable. I mean its possible Nintendo is going hog wild and strip mining the other regions to make a huge NA launch

Vargas

Well that takes care of that, I checked my credit card online and I saw that I was refunded the amount of the Wii U, I check Gamestop.com and my order says open and not canceled, so I decide to give them a call. After waiting for around ten minutes the guy lets me know that it was the pre-authorization and that my order is fine and once it goes to the warehouse later today that I will be charged again. He also said that it might ship on Monday which is not good news. I ordered on 9/13/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom