• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's weird I'm not hyped at all for this system and I used to love both nintendo and console launches. I might get up early on Sunday to see if I can pick one up just for sport though.

No, because then this will set precedent for him getting his way down the road.

read: of course play the fucking thing right away
lol :)

Rösti;44413842 said:
For something you spend a lot of money on it seems rather dull to wait until Christmas to use it. I think you should open it and play together (if what game you buy for the console allows more players than one).
We're only getting the included Nintedno Land to start. I have a feeling he'll want SMBU though. There's a good chance that it could be a Christmas gift.

led4lyfe

Assuming we do get the call and will get the Wii U:

My son is 12. We agreed to wait until Christmas to open it. He's now reconsidering (can't say I blame him). So, do I let him open it up and play it on Sunday or not?
When my friend and I were 13 we waited in line for the GameCube at Walmart. He was there in line to keep me company since he couldn't get one. His parents came right when Walmart opened to surprise him, bought one and put it on layaway right infront of him. Poor guy had to wait until Christmas to get it.

Don't let him wait!

Vinlaen

Yay... Got my tracking number from GameSpot.

Although... I suspect I won't receive it until Monday even though I selected Next-Day shipping (because tomorrow is Saturday; damn!)

Malvingt2

Rich ‏@RichIGN

ACIII Wii U will get a Day One patch similar to how PS3 and 360 versions received one. Something to keep in mind.

pestul

Assuming we do get the call and will get the Wii U:

My son is 12. We agreed to wait until Christmas to open it. He's now reconsidering (can't say I blame him). So, do I let him open it up and play it on Sunday or not?

I'd recommend at least trying it in case the store policy only accepts returns up to 30 days lol..

pestul

Rich ‏@RichIGN

ACIII Wii U will get a Day One patch similar to how PS3 and 360 versions received one. Something to keep in mind.

I hope they patch the shit out of those other buggy titles. I've been a PC gamer for years, so I welcome patches galore.

codhand

‏
@Wario64
Toys R Us is doing B1G1 40% off all Wii U games from Thursday 8 PM to Friday close. But that's probably a PITA on Thanksgiving night

@Wario64
Target 11/18-11/21, B2G1 50% off all Wii U games
pwhoqcgi.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yay better patching framework. Nintendo can now make sure everyone has a console Zelda without a save destroying bug!

Effect

Rich ‏@RichIGN

Which very likely means all the issues in the 360/PS3 versions (which are all post-day one patch) will be on full display in the Wii U version.

majik13

interesting info on gamepad tech., sorry if already posted

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/16/3653294/wii-u-range-test-gamepad

- tech was co-developed by Nintendo and Broadcom
- uses proprietary software to create a two-way stream of low-latency, high-definition video
- software is designed to mitigate interference and deliver a smooth video signal and communication speeds
- involves Wi-Fi Miracast, which Broadcom first developed last summer
- this is a system that is specifically designed to deal with interference issues while maintaining fast two-way communication
- optimal distance is 8 inches to a bit more than 26 feet from the console,
- setups in rural locations could nearly quadruple that distance
- communication could be impacted by interfering radio frequencies
- internal tests allowed the team to maintain connections between the Wii U and the GamePad at more than 100 feet
- if your setup has a lot of different [Wi-Fi routers] running simultaneously, that can impact range
- repeaters or range extenders could technically work to help the situation, but Nintendo hasn't really talked about that option yet
- tech would even theoretically support extending the GamePad's through wifi, meaning long-distance play
- Broadcom also is responsible for the Wii U's tech for connecting to the internet
- Broadcom expects more NFC usage talk after launch

thread worthy if new?

so if wifi interferes, then why didnt they opt to put an ethernet port into the wiiu rather than only wifi? I was already leaning toward an adapter, but this gives me even more reason, all my consoles and desktop are wired, so hopefully that will help range.

edit: I already see a thread, nevermind

interesting info on gamepad tech., sorry if already posted

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/16/3653294/wii-u-range-test-gamepad

thread worthy if new?

so if wifi interferes, then why didnt they opt to put an ethernet port into the wiiu rather than only wifi? I was already leaning toward an adapter, but this gives me even more reason, all my consoles and desktop are wired, so hopefully that will help range.

- tech would even theoretically support extending the GamePad's through wifi, meaning long-distance play

#gamechanger

So there's not going to be a place where someone without a pre-order can just line up to get one?

I was hoping that Best Buy of all places would do the first-come-first-serve thing, but from what you guys are saying it seems that this won't be the case.

I have no rational reason to be worried I won't get my preordered Deluxe set, but seeing people in this thread getting delay emails and stuff has me anxious. Maybe it's just empathy.

SirUltimos, can you disclose the retailer that broke street date? I'm thinking about strolling into Walmart after work and trying to pick up my "layaway," just for shits.

pestul

Hmm, just saw something over at Redflagdeals (canada) that if you spend $40 at Old Navy on Nov 24rth, you get a copy of NSMBU. Obviously a first come and limited quantities kind of jobby though. Think it applies on both sides of the border. Could easily buy some shitty clothes as gifts for people..

pestul

Also, looks like some Canadians that pre-ordered from Futureshop actually got the WiiU system delivered this morning.. lucky assholes.

NateDrake

I have no rational reason to be worried I won't get my preordered Deluxe set, but seeing people in this thread getting delay emails and stuff has me anxious. Maybe it's just empathy.

SirUltimos, can you disclose the retailer that broke street date? I'm thinking about strolling into Walmart after work and trying to pick up my "layaway," just for shits.

After doing some minor sleuthing the store is located in Canadian from the Ontario region.

guek

Banned
hulu plus is required to use hulu at all on consoles, right?

wish they'd change that >_< i'm starting to consider signing up...

What's everyone doing for buying controllers? I never owned a Wii so don't have any existing controllers.

Are there any good deals out there right now for WiiMotes or nunchucks? Best Buy has refurbished Wii Remote Plus' for $18 which seems like a great deal (assuming I don't get a busted one).

I'm definitely getting one Pro controller, but I read that the game has to specifically support it. My main concern is with the co-op games for Nintendo Land. Does anyone know if Nintendo Land supports the pro controller, or if you have to use the WiiMote? What about SMBU?

What's everyone doing for buying controllers? I never owned a Wii so don't have any existing controllers.

Are there any good deals out there right now for WiiMotes or nunchucks? Best Buy has refurbished Wii Remote Plus' for $18 which seems like a great deal (assuming I don't get a busted one).

I'm definitely getting one Pro controller, but I read that the game has to specifically support it. My main concern is with the co-op games for Nintendo Land. Does anyone know if Nintendo Land supports the pro controller, or if you have to use the WiiMote? What about SMBU?
Toys R Us has the Flingsmash Wii Remote Plus bundle for $25.

andthebeatgoeson

Fuck, on that buy 2 get 1. Has that ever happened at launch for a console? I wanted to make things Digital only this generation but I won't be able to resist. Between these types of deals and bargain bins, I may just need to adopt a blended philosophy.

Can't decide on a few things. Getting a deluxe, Nintendoland. Pretty sure I'll double dip on Batman and pick up ZombieU and NSMBU. Then, what would be next? COD, ACIII, Epic Mickey? Damn, this launch is stacked.

I like COD somewhat but don't do multiplayer (i know, sounds stupid but I like FPS) and not thrilled about the gameplay. Never played Assassin's Creed and think it might be time to jump in. Still have Epic Mickey 1 in the wrapper but get excited about those disney characters. I might get excited and buy 6 games. Any reccs on those 3 games?

pestul

I got really lucky. I was able to pick up two Motion Plus controllers for $22 each bundled with Flingsmash Wii games. Game is probably awful.. but hey, better than $44 each. Got another two nunchucks with a Staples coupon.

EDIT: Just noticed that if you can still find Flingsmash at TheSource in Canada, it is now down to $9.99 bundled with the Wiimote Motion + black model. You could get 4 controllers for less than one at MSRP. And for the record, the game inside the box is sealed/upc'ed so you can use it for trade-in too.

Hoodbury

I'd make sure you future proof yourself and get only motion + wii motes from now on. I got some from ebay that came with nunchucks for $15.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)

That's a good deal. I'm tempted to try to get a white or blue one for that price...

Kilrathi

Gamestop.com pre-order is shipping ya! Its going to be a nice thanksgiving break now. Now I just need to Finish off, a short paper on 3D modeling, Isometric shooter level design for class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom