• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Well that's a load off my mind, Shipment finally went through! I guess they really are doing this in waves. At least I don't have to worry about sitting in front of a store sunday morning. Now just waiting for my newegg/amazon orders to move.

My friend called the TRU in Alexandria, VA and asked about the email he received. They told him to come in at 9AM on Sunday, even though they open at 8. They said if he already has a preorder he might as well come in later to avoid the madness. He is still worried he isn't getting one. He preordered in-store on 9/15. The girl on the phone said they already have them in the back. Still doesn't completely explain why he received that email.

He has low expectations.

Downhome

Alrighty, just talked to the local Game Stop where I have my preorder to get the details on the launch for my store. They are opening at 10am, they only had a total of 20 preorders so there is no reason to get there super early to get in any sort of line since they only have the product for the preorders. Before I was told 11am by someone else, but thankfully they are opening at 10am instead.

He also volunteered some information on the lack of a midnight launch. He told me that they are not doing one because it is so close to Black Friday, just days apart, that they decided to hold off on it for the local stores because of that. No clue if true, I could see the point I guess, but that is what he told me. I didn't even ask about that, he just told me anyway.

TriGen

My friend called the TRU in Alexandria, VA and asked about the email he received. They told him to come in at 9AM on Sunday, even though they open at 8. They said if he already has a preorder he might as well come in later to avoid the madness. He is still worried he isn't getting one. He preordered in-store on 9/15. The girl on the phone said they already have them in the back. Still doesn't completely explain why he received that email.

He has low expectations.

Maybe they are sending that to everyone? They are just judging by their overall stock, not per store. So, some stores didn't get their shipment but his did. Basically, I'm wondering if that wasn't an email meant for him, just TRU customers in general. And he got lucky that his store came through.

I just went to my local GameStop to finalize my Wii U reserves and make sure everything was paid in full. They're opening at 11:00 am this Sunday and won't be having a midnight launch. Sounds good to me.

They had 14 Deluxe SKU reserves and received exactly 14 Deluxe units. Not sure of where they stand with Standard units as I was third person to reserve a Deluxe.

So hyped for this weekend. Saturday is my fifth anniversary with my wife, Sunday is Wii U and then the rest of the week off for the Thanksgiving Holiday.

Oh and I can't forget the Persona 4 Golden Solid Gold Edition that I'll be receiving on Tuesday!

It's strange, Wii didn't have this problem. There were plenty of units for pre-order people and non pre-order people. With Wii U, it sounds like people who pre-ordered back in SEPTEMBER are being turned away, and people who didn't pre-order are completely shit outta luck. wtf?

It's because Wii was not expected to be selling as crazily as it did. This time the scalpers are out in droves buying every Wii U they can, expecting to profit from the same thing happening again. Also, stores are being more cautious this time around - for example, last time there were some stores that didn't take preorders, and they ended up having to deal with huge lines of people camping overnight, when they didn't hardly get any systems in stock so had to turn away a bunch of angry people. Thus, this year most stores had preorders, even the ones that usually don't like Fred Meyer.

Rootbeer

Banned
Called local gamestop to confirm their launch plans.

No midnight launch. No surprise.

They are opening at the normal time for Sunday, 11am. Drat.

They already have a ton of games for sale, including Scribblenauts U. Told me they'd give me the pre-order hat if i bought one since they have extras. Gonna wait till I can get it cheaper, though.

Still excited to be picking up my pre-order :)

yep, just called gamestop. not opening until 11 am on sunday. at least I know I won't be worrying about any future midnight launches with them, or any other purchases for that matter.

By the way, has Nintendo said anything about selling prepaid Wii U eShop cards? My local GameStop only had cards for DSiware and Wii Shop. They said that they're 99% sure that those cards won't work with 3DS eShop or Wii U.

It's because Wii was not expected to be selling as crazily as it did. This time the scalpers are out in droves buying every Wii U they can, expecting to profit from the same thing happening again. Also, stores are being more cautious this time around - for example, last time there were some stores that didn't take preorders, and they ended up having to deal with huge lines of people camping overnight, when they didn't hardly get any systems in stock so had to turn away a bunch of angry people. Thus, this year most stores had preorders, even the ones that usually don't like Fred Meyer.

Yeah, Target, Walmart and others took pre orders which is something I hadn't seen before which is definitely a smart move on their part. I remember when the line for PS3 preorders opened 24 hours before launch, and people went nuts tearing down merchandise stands and everything JUST TO GET IN LINE at Walmart. Place was nuts.

I also remember being in the Wii line at Walmart, and the people coming in during the day kept asking what we were in line for. The answer was "Nintendo Wii." People would then say "all this waiting for a GameBoy?" like we were crazy or something. Was kind of funny really.

Rootbeer

Banned
yep, just called gamestop. not opening until 11 am on sunday. at least I know I won't be worrying about any future midnight launches with them, or any other purchases for that matter.

I'm sure they would have done it if they'd gotten more units per store.

Frankly gamestop is the best place for me these days. Doesn't hurt that I have one within walking distance of not only my house but my workplace.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
no preorder here, just got a bonus and can afford the system now! Where do you guys think would be the best place to sit over night? Walmart has their layaway thing so i figured those are gonna be sold out and none left for walk-ins. What do you guys think! :)

By the way, has Nintendo said anything about selling prepaid Wii U eShop cards? My local GameStop only had cards for DSiware and Wii Shop. They said that they're 99% sure that those cards won't work with 3DS eShop or Wii U.

3DS and Wii U cards should work the same. I've been seeing Wii U branded shop cards in Target for weeks.

They look like this:

medium.jpg

TriGen

They are out there. Wal-Mart even has them on their site. As for my experience? Nope, haven't seen any in person, but they exist.

zroid

Banned

No idea about Wii U branded cards, but if you can track down some 3DS eShop cards, they will work on Wii U. (pretty sure)

no preorder here, just got a bonus and can afford the system now! Where do you guys think would be the best place to sit over night? Walmart has their layaway thing so i figured those are gonna be sold out and none left for walk-ins. What do you guys think! :)

Walmart, Sam's Club, Costco, and maybe Best Buy are probably your best bets. Also look for maybe some local chain retailers. I have a Shopko and Hastings nearby that will probably get some units too.

Frankly gamestop is the best place for me these days. Doesn't hurt that I have one within walking distance of not only my house but my workplace.

I'm in the same situation. My office is one mile away from my house with my GameStop right in-between the two.

I actually prefer Gamestop for Nintendo's Sunday releases.

noobasuar

Banned
So I thought I'd wait till pikmin 3 was out before I picked one up but damn I'm starting to get excited for it.

What are the odds id be able to pick up one at sams club on Sunday ?

TheGrue

They already have a ton of games for sale, including Scribblenauts U. Told me they'd give me the pre-order hat if i bought one since they have extras. Gonna wait till I can get it cheaper, though.

My Gamestop is the opposite of this where I asked for Scribblenauts because it is already out and they told me they couldn't sell any games until the 18th and also wouldn't let me preorder (since the game is already out, but of course the people there are too dumb to know this is the reason why). I was able to preorder NSMB and ZombiU, though (since they come out on the 18th). I hate always knowing more about video games than the people at all the stores I try to go to.

Thanks for info guys. Hopefully my GameStop will have those cards on Sunday. I have an extra $19 in store credit that I'd put towards a card. Then I can get at least one Wii U eShop game. Either Nano Assault Neo or Mighty Switch Force HD.

Drewfonse

Checked at my nearby Best Buy, and was told what had already been confirmed earlier in this thread: they have more units ready to rock than preorders. They open at 11am on SUN.

The employee all but said "come back at 11am on Sunday and you'll be able to buy one" with his body language and facial expressions. And yes, I'm reading waaaay too much into it. He may be misinformed, but he is the person who always works in the gaming section, so.....

My hopes are buoyed.

jlscool

The guy already created an account and also tried clicking on those Video Streaming icons, but it says that he needs an update immediately.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
went to gamestop today and paid it off. they said they are only getting units for those who pre-ordered and they'd be held (of course).

opening as usual at 10am

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom