• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
This is going to KILL in Japan. Wario, Pokemon and Zelda at launch with Brain Training for backup combined with that interface. Jesus.

But the software side is a little underwhelming for me personally. Nothing super surprising from that front. I'm extremely intrigued at the diving game and that goddess game though, whatever that is.

dyls

With the interface, Nintendo has actually out-Appled Apple. I'm typing this on a brand new MacBook Pro, and I can safely say that the Wii interface runs smoother and faster than any piece of software on this thing. Underpowered, my ass.

And I was one of the many who said all I wanted was good gaming, no extranneous media bullshit. I take it back, humbly :D

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
.dmc said:
Okay, I'm as excited as the rest of you, but my number one concern is.. with all this photo + media stuff, if it requires you to stream content from a pc in your home, will they **** mac users like they did with the ds wifi dongle? Hopefully we'll find out more tomorrow.. I don't want my Wii functionality crimped because I don't wouldn't touch Window with a barge pole..

I don't think there is any streaming going on at all - SD Cards, USB external hdrive.

Wii is basically a do-it-all little box.

etiolate

Banned
I thought Nintendo would get the price right and have a basic, maybe lackluster interface.

So yeah i was off. Are they working with Apple? It's like Apple with Pikmin. I don't really care about that stuff though, and I think they should get their network up for online gaming before this other stuff.

What I did like is the scuba game Forever Blue. Hopefully we get some info on this and who's making it.

Is no one else excited by the idea that Nintendo can release the DSLite 2 with this interface and potentially outsell the DSL?

This would be the end all of devices.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
BorkBork said:
This is going to KILL in Japan. Wario, Pokemon and Zelda at launch with Brain Training for backup combined with that interface. Jesus.

But the software side is a little underwhelming for me personally. Nothing super surprising from that front. I'm extremely intrigued at the diving game and that goddess game though, whatever that is.

And the marble game!

ethelred

underfooter said:
Holy Poop that would be cool! And VERY possible!

Did you guys catch that underwater exploration game? Relaxing, beautiful exploration games FTW!

I want a new 3D Ecco the Dolphin like that.

Get on it, Sega.

Polari

Nintendo take over!

That interface is amazing, exactly what I wanted. Weather, news and shopping channels are nice little touches, the photo editor and viewer looks incredible and Opera proves that usability and uselessness can co-exist happily. The best part is that we all know this is only the start in terms of applications. Get a media player together, Nintendo.

As for the demo reel: wow. I'm looking forward to Wii Sports' rendition of boxing like you wouldn't believe, and that underwater game looks glorious.

3:31 a.m. EST [update 28] More tidbits: Iwata says "The success of the DS does not ensure the success of the Wii." One Wii point = One yen for virtual console shopping.

Hmm...could be interesting if you can win Wii points in games. Pawiinko, anyone?

Mojojo

Is the game with the dogs related to Nintendogs? or is it the game with big-nosed pets inspired from a "famous" japanese photographer (there was a topic somewhere on gaf)

yjs666

Mojojo said:
Is the game with the dogs related to Nintendogs? or is it the game with big-nosed pets inspired from a "famous" japanese photographer (there was a topic somewhere on gaf)

It's based on the big nosed dogs franchise (THE DOG) I believe it's called.

alterego

Treefrog said:
Still hoping for wii boxing in US. Japan will go crazy with pokemon.

1157775914442.jpg

StephaneC

TheGreatDave said:
The Euro event is on Friday. Some press may jump the mark and publish it early, I guess.

I expect Euro launch of around December 8th
or march 2007

NDS november 21 (USA)
Wii november 24 (USA)

NDS december 02 (Japan)
Wii december 02 (Japan)

DS March (EU)
Wii ...

PkunkFury

The best part is, they are taking a huge step towards getting people accustomed to 3D tracking technologies in the living room, and in a very friendly way. I wasn't big on the WiiChannel stuff but seeing these videos I did a complete 180. This could be the beginning of a big movement towards more 3D tracking devices in consumer electronics. The way they've integrated the wiimote with some of those features is very compelling

Jiggy

TanOOkiSeong said:
Is no one else excited by the idea that Nintendo can release the DSLite 2 with this interface and potentially outsell the DSL?

This would be the end all of devices.
Nice.
Although I kind of hope they hold off on that until they need a successor to compete with PSP2.

KennyL

Wow, the UI is SHIT HOT. Other systems look like total amatuer hour in comparison. I was on the fence but I'm ****ing buying it now for sure. PSWii60 future in 2 months.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
gettergooey said:
3:31 a.m. EST [update 28] More tidbits: Iwata says "The success of the DS does not ensure the success of the Wii." One Wii point = One yen for virtual console shopping.

Hmm...could be interesting if you can win Wii points in games. Pawiinko, anyone?

Good. I hate that microsoft points arent just what they are in real dollar values.

ethelred

PkunkFury said:
The best part is, they are taking a huge step towards getting people accustomed to 3D tracking technologies in the living room, and in a very friendly way. I wasn't big on the WiiChannel stuff but seeing these videos I did a complete 180. This could be the beginning of a big movement towards more 3D tracking devices in consumer electronics. The way they've integrated the wiimote with some of those features is very compelling

I'm more interested in seeing them fully integrate that into some new games.

KennyL said:
Wow, the UI is SHIT HOT. Other systems look like total amatuer hour in comparison. I was on the fence but I'm ****ing buying it now for sure. PSWii60 future in 2 months.
You're telling me. Damn, son...

I fucking said "Wow" but it's so late I could be dreaming anyways...

I can't wait to wake up tomorrow.

Amir0x

Banned
So, my personal impressions so far from the news we got...

Good

+ Wii Interface/Wii Channel/Wii Weather - Snazzy, and definitely more fully featured than I would expect.
+ Zelda is looking great stuff, although... WTF RIGHT HANDED (Dragona :()
+ Fire Emblem gameplay footage woooo!
+ In Japan, 25000yen is a GOOD price after tax. And not packed in with any shitty game.

Bad

- Where are the online games? Not a single one seems to be mentioned, so I guess most online stuff related to actual gaming is coming later? Lame.
- The newly Announced games are terrible. No, I don't want another brain training, I don't want to pet dogs on an island and no i don't want yet another compilation of mini-games. Nothing at all to cater to the hardcore set... i suppose forever blue will be a 'staring at pretty underwater animal simulator' at this point.
- The price in US sucks. $250 packed with a game I don't want, and it's not like I'm getting more embedded flash RAM. nasty job there Nintendo.
- Nunchuck, Wiimote sold seperately... together $50+? Yikes.
- Games are still last gen (but, not shocking)

Wow. And I was already sold on this due to the games only (I think they have a hell of a launch window line-up, with both new games and VC games coming at a steady pace.)

And they said the OS was upgradeable. . .

This stuff also opens up tons of possibilities for games. Built in weather channel for real-world weather in games, the awesome character builder, bigger online integration into games like Animal Crossing. . . So I guess this is what Iwata was referring to when he said that when we'd turn the system on, we'd say WOW.

Launch get, reconfirmed.

Top Bottom