• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

temjin

Banned
The Wii Packaging looks atrocious. That's not modern or designed well at all. The WiiMote packaging on the other hand... Is sex.

broadwayrock said:
marioqt6.gif
Oh man. What.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
DQ is a DQ swords game - no enlightening needed, that's what it is. You slash with wiimote. RE Wii is NOT Resident Evil 5 - the superior fact version - it's a lightgun game w/ RE4 perspective where you go through old Biohazard scenarios. Whoopdy doo. If you're telling me that giving Wii a half-assed side story/side game is the same as giving a system a full fledged sequel to the main series then yes i guess my argument is you're insane and/or reaching.

wow - written off already? how about we play them first?

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
OK, what are RE and DQ at the moment? Maybe you can enlighten us.

RE is RE. People can come up with stupid, selective criteria for what qualifies as RE, but the Wii game is probably going to be the first four RE games with an RE4 flavor to it.

broadwayrock said:
This game looks so damn polished and awsome. I digg the "atmosphere" it has to it. Hopefully there will be nice music too.
As someone has mentioned a while ago: the music at the E3 demo was nice Mario music, but it didn't really fit the environment. They should give the music an "outer space" vibe, without losing it's happyness.

Amir0x

Banned
DCharlie said:
wow - written off already? how about we play them first?

No, I'm not writing it off. I'm saying, if you're going to make an argument that it's even remotely in the same stratosphere as getting DRAGON QUEST IX (nobody has it yet, just saying) or RESIDENT EVIL 5, you're stretching hard.

In the context of the discussion before, this is why Wii is clearly behind. No devs are giving it the main stuff, they wouldn't dare until the system is a success.

Gamecube getting RE4 was amazing at the time because it was not half-ass support. It was full fledged, for the system, and exclusive until Capcom saw the system bomb. RE5 is going to 360/PS3, that's where the support is.

Model 500

Launch GET!

Forever Blue looks nice, hope it's good :)

Launch games for me:

Zerudo
Metoroidopuraimu
Excite Truck
WiiSports
Red Steel

The Marble game looked amazing.

Waiting for new info on Disaster.

Project Hammer looked surprisingly nice in that vid.

Also interested in Bleach, Rayman and Wario.

Excellent suff, interface looks fun :)

cvxfreak

Amir0x said:
DQ is a DQ swords game - no enlightening needed, that's what it is. You slash with wiimote. RE Wii is NOT Resident Evil 5 - the superior fact version - it's a lightgun game w/ RE4 perspective where you go through old Biohazard scenarios. Whoopdy doo. If you're telling me that giving Wii a half-assed side story/side game is the same as giving a system a full fledged sequel to the main series then yes i guess my argument is you're reaching. HARD.

Fact: Side-stories in RE often have very important plot details. The Outbreak games and Gun Survivor 4 do more for the series's plot than RE4 does.

*awaits next post that attempts to twist this around*

Amir0x

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Fact: Side-stories in RE often have very important plot details. The Outbreak games and Gun Survivor 4 do more for the series's plot than RE4 does.

Not a fact, but still true: Gun Survivor games suck NO THANKS

Jonnyram

Amir0x said:
DQ is a DQ swords game - no enlightening needed, that's what it is. You slash with wiimote. RE Wii is NOT Resident Evil 5 - the superior fact version - it's a lightgun game w/ RE4 perspective where you go through old Biohazard scenarios. Whoopdy doo. If you're telling me that giving Wii a half-assed side story/side game is the same as giving a system a full fledged sequel to the main series then yes i guess my argument is you're reaching. HARD.
I don't know where you're getting your info from about these games. AFAIK neither has been playable by the press, or even shown for more than a 3 second clip in a preview movie. I'm not arguing these are titles within the main series or story arc or whatever your beef is, but they cannot be dismissed as unimportant shit. Both series have fans, and the fans buy spin-offs. There may be a lot more to these games than we know yet, or there might not be. But how can you make that call now?

Amir0x

Banned
Jonnyram said:
I don't know where you're getting your info from about these games. AFAIK neither has been playable by the press, or even shown for more than a 3 second clip in a preview movie. I'm not arguing these are titles within the main series or story arc or whatever your beef is, but they cannot be dismissed as unimportant shit. Both series have fans, and the fans buy spin-offs. There may be a lot more to these games than we know yet, or there might not be. But how can you make that call now?

I'm not. But I can't support Wii based on HYPOTHETICAL support. The support its getting now is all 'side projects' and or shit, and so what do you want me to do clap for what may come? Well, hell, I'll do that.

That's why... Wii's success and failures of this show were puzzling. Success from interface perspective, failure from games viewpoint imo

cvxfreak said:
Biohazard UC isn't Gun Survivor.

I know

Nutter

cvxfreak said:

I dont think you need to worry too much about amirox, he will come around. :p
But yeah; i am sure there are many more people who share the same feelings Amirox has.
Even i do to some degree, but that doesnt mean i am going to write it off without actual gameplay impressions.

Souldriver said:
Yes, those bastards at nintendo do not only give us games, but also a good OS en GUI. God, I hate them!

:)

Lol Im not against it but its amazing now that We, as in Nintendo fans can't use that as an excuse for less features now.

3phemeral

Thanks for thr gifs -- I can't see flash files at work, so it's much appreciated. Thankfully I'm heading home soon, so I'll be enjoying them the way they should be.

Mario galazy is looking absolutely amazing, and if graphics can get to that level more consistently in the near future -- along with the new functions the controller provides -- I'll be very happy with my purchase.

Too bad I really can't tell how that RE gif looks like at the moment.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
No, I'm not writing it off. I'm saying, if you're going to make an argument that it's even remotely in the same stratosphere as getting DRAGON QUEST IX (nobody has it yet, just saying) or RESIDENT EVIL 5, you're stretching hard.

*shrug* there's nothing stopping these games being very good apps without them being two of the biggest titles out there. The fact that Nintendo have secured , however you slice it, big name spinoffs for their home console (compared to , what?, Monkey Ball at GC launch) is a big change.

3rd parties don't like Nintendo so i hear, so the fact you've got big names (albeit not _THE BIGGEST_ games) at launch surely has some sort of value?

In the context of the discussion before, this is why Wii is clearly behind. No devs are giving it the main stuff, they wouldn't dare until the system is a success.

... but you've already said for the DQ game, no one knows where its going. It might even go to the Wii just so that SE can diversify their risk - stick FF on PS3, stick DQ on wii. Anyways, the point being no one knows SHIT for a whole slew of games, so i'm not sure we can say what is going where for certain. There are a lot of factors to be seen out (price, supply, uptake, attach rates, etc) for the Wii AND the PS3.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
no because Amir0x wanted RE5 and DQ9 at launch for him to consider Wii launch line up good or something.

cvxfreak

Nutter said:
I dont think you need to worry to much about amirox, he will come around. :p
But yeah; i am sure there are many more people who share the same feelings Amirox has.
Even i do to some degree, but that doesnt mean i am going to write it off without actual gameplay impressions.

An RE fanboy's look at it:

I myself would love to get RE5 now and it undeniably looks like an overall better game.

But an RE4ified look at the first four games (Zero gets shafted?) is something RE4 fans have begged for these last 18 months - all in one game to boot! True we may not get something as expansive as a single game, but for a diehard Biohazard fan like me, it'll only serve to preserve the games I loved throughout the years. UC won't be something to dismiss so easily.

If you don't want a Wii don't buy one.
DS had little to no support to begin with, it was a risky console and it worked, only now are people jumping on board.
How the hell can you complain about getting what you are getting for $250? The games look more than good enough FOR ME, the VC support was only the Japanese companies, its pretty obvious that each conference will announce region specific games/support etc.
For basically £150 i'm gonna get a games console, the internet, photo imaging, and buddy stuff.
I'm happy.
each conference will give something new, thats why there is 3 of them. this was the Japanese conference, they aren't asking you as an American to go bat shit over it.
Wait for your conference, and if you still aint satisfied, then damn i'm sure Nintendo will cry themselves to sleep.

Mario Galaxy and Zelda make Wii purchase justifiable alone

ethelred

BTW, I've updated the list of Wii games (mega-thanks to ducky for helping by translating some of the odder babelfished shit) with all the stuff that's come out over the past few days (or all that I've caught, anyway).

I was going to bump the thread so that everyone could see where the Wii software library stands at the moment, but I decided to hold off... I'll wait till tomorrow to catch any other new game announcements, then just make a new thread.

Jonnyram

Amir0x said:
I'm not. But I can't support Wii based on HYPOTHETICAL support. The support its getting now is all 'side projects' and or shit, and so what do you want me to do clap for what may come? Well, hell, I'll do that.
To be fair, DQ Swords is less hypothetical than DQIX at this point in time, since the latter hasn't even been announced. Can't say anything about either RE game, as they are both in the same state as far as we can see.

Amir0x

Banned
DCharlie said:
*shrug* there's nothing stopping these games being very good apps without them being two of the biggest titles out there. The fact that Nintendo have secured , however you slice it, big name spinoffs for their home console (compared to , what?, Monkey Ball at GC launch) is a big change.

3rd parties don't like Nintendo so i hear, so the fact you've got big names (albeit not _THE BIGGEST_ games) at launch surely has some sort of value?

Gamecube had RE announced before the system came out - and it wasn't a side story. On top of that, RE: Umbrella Corp is not coming for launch. The only 'big' Wii third party games for launch are, i guess, Red Steel and Rayman from Ubisoft? The rest is first party... and, ironically, Super Monkeyball Wii is probably the next biggest. Like... Gamecube :p

DCharlie said:
... but you've already said for the DQ game, no one knows where its going. It might even go to the Wii just so that SE can diversify their risk - stick FF on PS3, stick DQ on wii. Anyways, the point being no one knows SHIT for a whole slew of games, so i'm not sure we can say what is going where for certain. There are a lot of factors to be seen out (price, supply, uptake, attach rates, etc) for the Wii AND the PS3.

That's the point though. Rewind the conversation. jonnyram said 'well it has DQ and RE', but what it really is is just DQ swords and an RE side story. PS3, well before it launched, already had FFXIII announced exclusive and Resident Evil 5. So, does that mean third parties like it more?

Like you said, it's early. Context is important though, both in terms of what Gamecube announced early and what Wii announced now.

Error2k4 said:
no because Amir0x wanted RE5 and DQ9 at launch for him to consider Wii launch line up good or something.

Yeah, that's what I wanted.

i think a little context is important when you read things. Gamecube HAD Resident Evil series announced before the system was out. And it wasn't a side story.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
sp0rsk said:
Good. I hate that microsoft points arent just what they are in real dollar values.

thats because microsoft doesnt want you to realize how much you are actually spending.. its the same tactic that is used in those higher class arcade that give you cards with points on them.

noizbot

I was really hoping Nintendo would come up with a really slick GUI to match the hardware itself and it seems that they totally delivered. Nice avatar creation, photo and video publishing/sharing/editing, "Wii points" and realtime news and weather (odd, but cool).

I demand large videos! Rawrgh! Grimlock smash!

knoo

Well... nice interface, I guess. The 250$ pricetag was unexpected (for me at least), but is acceptable. Unfortunately, this will mean at least 250 €, if they gonna do their DS calculation (DS Lite 130 $ vs. 150 €) then it will be even more :(

My guess for Europe is 250 € but without a pack-in game, which essentially at least 400 € with two games and a second WiiMote... too much for me at the moment :(

Let´s hope for a 2006 release in Europe at last, I hate when they don´t keep their promises...

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
To be fair, DQ Swords is less hypothetical than DQIX at this point in time, since the latter hasn't even been announced. Can't say anything about either RE game, as they are both in the same state as far as we can see.

It's almost a given that we'll get UC first anyway. So really that's what I'm going to worry about for the next year as far as Biohazard goes.

Amir0x said:
i think a little context is important when you read things. Gamecube HAD Resident Evil series announced before the system was out. And it wasn't a side story.

How can it be a sidestory when it'll revisit the plots that comprised the main story in the first place?

BTW, I am totally assuming that Chinese magazine's pretty accurate.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So now I'm up-to-date and totally WOW'ed.

if there is an november-euro-launch ;(

Top Bottom