• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

Amir0x

Banned
cvxfreak said:
How can it be a sidestory when it'll revisit the plots that comprised the main story in the first place?

I mean sidestory as in it's a side game, not from the main series (i.e. RE1, 2, 3, 4, 5). Story itself is more of a REHASH then sidestory, which depending on your perspective is worse :lol

linsivvi

zelda1ae8.gif

SuomiDude

Amir0x, so you have an XBox 360, right? And you're going to buy PS3, right? So why is it so bad that Wii will get different games from the other two systems? I know I wouldn't want to buy the same shit over and over again, so if I had two system next gen, I would buy different games for each one...

Nameless

jko said:

:(

I'm with Amir0X here. DQ Swords and RE:Wii is to Dragon Quest IX and RE:5 as Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and MGS: TS are to Final Fantasy XII and Metal Gear Solid 3. Speaking of DQIX, Square Enix could release it on Xbox 360 and it would sell a million units and consoles in Japan the first day. I doubt we'll hear anything about it until well after the wii's US launch. DQVIII proved that DQ can do well in the US, so no longer will Japan be the deciding factor on where the game goes.

Amir0x

Banned

cvxfreak

Amir0x said:
I mean sidestory as in it's a side game, not from the main series (i.e. RE1, 2, 3, 4, 5). Story itself is more of a REHASH then sidestory, which depending on your perspective is worse :lol

But what qualifies as a true Biohazard game?

It can't only be games with a number - see CODE: Veronica.

It can't just be a game with the gameplay we all know - otherwise the Outbreaks are in, and RE4 is out.

It can't be just original entries - otherwise what would REmake fall under?

knoo said:
Well... nice interface, I guess. The 250$ pricetag was unexpected (for me at least), but is acceptable. Unfortunately, this will mean at least 250 €, if they gonna do their DS calculation (DS Lite 130 $ vs. 150 €) then it will be even more :(

My guess for Europe is 250 € but without a pack-in game, which essentially at least 400 € with two games and a second WiiMote... too much for me at the moment :(

Let´s hope for a 2006 release in Europe at last, I hate when they don´t keep their promises...
I concur.
I'm afraid for what they'll say about Europe. Please god, let it just be $=€ and not fukc us more. And I'm starting to doubt it will launch in 2006. :(

The fact that the PS3 is that expensive and isn't launching in Europe has probably made the Wii a little more expensive too, and maybe will get delayed in Europe...

Amir0x

Banned
SuomiDude said:
Amir0x, so you have an XBox 360, right? And you're going to buy PS3, right? So why is it so bad that Wii will get different games from the other two systems? I know I wouldn't want to buy the same shit over and over again, so if I had two system next gen, I would buy different games for each one...

Ok, well, let me pose this question.

Let's say Wiimote truly is as awesome and dynamic as everyone says it is. Wouldn't you want the remote to offer as many opportunities to the traditional hardcore franchises as any other system?

But I digress, one part already holds it back... and that's a whole 'nother ballgame :p

cvxfreak said:
But what qualifies as a true Biohazard game?

It can't only be games with a number - see CODE: Veronica.

It can't be a game with the gameplay we all know - otherwise the Outbreaks are in, and RE4 is out.

It can't be just original entries - otherwise what would REmake fall under?

I didn't say it wasn't a 'true' RE game. I said it's not from the main series, 1-2-3-4-5. numbered series. What the whole kitten caboodle is built on :p

Wouldn't it be really cool if the weather in Animal Crossing was synched to the Weather Channel? So when it's raining outside your door...it's raining in Animal Crossing! Another cool feature would be importing your photos as patterns in the game etc. Maybe sending photos to other users through Wiiconnect 24..

Wollan

There's one thing I'm not quite clear on regarding the Wii os. Is it so that your friendslist is actually a bunch of (custom made)characters walking around? Can you send voicemail? Anything else? Would appreciate the details.

Jonnyram

Amir0x said:
Reaaally. Is it online, or just wirelessly connect through DS? I'm not sure I get what the online portion is, do you battle online?
Yes, it is online. You battle online. In fact, you can use the pokemon you catch in Diamond/Pearl on your DS, on the Wii version, online. Without any wires.

linsivvi

Amir0x said:
Reaaally. Is it online, or just wirelessly connect through DS? I'm not sure I get what the online portion is, do you battle online?

This is a big question!

From what I can understand from the text, it said it will have 2 way connections with the DS, and also possible to play against each others online. Just look at the first slide of the 2nd link, that should be pretty clear.

cvxfreak

Amir0x said:
I didn't say it wasn't a 'true' RE game. I said it's not from the main series, 1-2-3-4-5. numbered series. What the whole kitten caboodle is built on :p

CODE: Veronica isn't in the main series then? :lol

Jonnyram said:
Yes, it is online. You battle online. In fact, you can use the pokemon you catch in Diamond/Pearl on your DS, on the Wii version, online. Without any wires.

I find the whole interconnectivity thing with the Pokemon world kind of weird, yet cool.

All these games manage to use all compatible Pokemon data at the times of their release: Ruby, Sapphire, Colosseum, FireRed, LeafGreen, Emerald, XD, Diamond, Pearl, Battle Revolution, and even Ranger. :p

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Nameless said:

I'm with Amir0X here. DQ Swords and RE:Wii is to Dragon Quest IX and RE:5 as Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and MGS: TS are to Final Fantasy XII and Metal Gear Solid 3. Speaking of DQIX, Square Enix could release it on Xbox 360 and it would sell a million units and consoles in Japan the first day. I doubt we'll hear anything about it until well after the wii's US launch. DQVIII proved that DQ can do well in the US, so no longer will Japan be the deciding factor on where the game goes.
you are kidding right? japan is a shitload more important for DQ than NA will ever be. in Japan DQ is a sure 3 million plus sales game in NA it just sold 300k.

knoo

Souldriver said:
I concur.
I'm afraid for what they'll say about Europe. Please god, let it just be $=€ and not fukc us more. And I'm starting to doubt it will launch in 2006. :(

The fact that the PS3 is that expensive and isn't launching in Europe has probably made the Wii a little more expensive too, and maybe will get delayed in Europe...

Yeah, that has always been my main concern with bad things about the PS3.

PS3 599 US-Dollars? Hey, then Wii can be 250 and it will be ok.

PS3 delayed to 2007? Well, then Wii can be released a few months later over there.

Sony is giving Nintendo not enough competition and at the moment that´s all I want from Sony, since I can´t afford a PS3 anyway.

ethelred

Nameless said:

Dragon Quest VIII sold over three million in Japan.

It sold less than half a million in the US.

Yes, Japan is still very much the deciding factor in where DQ goes.

Amir0x

Banned
cvxfreak said:
CODE: Veronica isn't in the main series then? :lol

No, but it's the closest side story to the main RE titles... but it's also not a rehash through old RE games.

Anihawk said:
Whenever it does, you decide to bitch bitch bitch about it. :p

Heh, that wasn't the point of my post but granted.

Jonnyram said:

So why is nothing else online? Weird.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
broadwayrock said:
So, does that look like predetermined slashes or is it freehand swinging we're talking about here? To me it looks like the latter, but that may be wishful thinking.

cvxfreak

Amir0x said:
No, but it's the closest side story to the main RE titles... but it's also not a rehash through old RE games.

Um, CV wasn't a side story. At all.

Let's just say that the lack of a number for CODE: Veronica was due to it being victimized by platform politics. All Sony systems, as of 1998, were to have numbered REs. That's why RE3, which many dub as RE2's third disc (for a pretty damn good reason) has a number, and why RE4 was bound for PS2 even before CV was out. Zero for N64 shook things up, but the final axe on this policy came with the GC announcement.

SuomiDude

Amir0x said:
Ok, well, let me pose this question.

Let's say Wiimote truly is as awesome and dynamic as everyone says it is. Wouldn't you want the remote to offer as many opportunities to the traditional hardcore franchises as any other system?

But I digress, one part already holds it back... and that's a whole 'nother ballgame :p

Ok, fine. Wii version of RE5 wouldn't be the same cause of the controls (and graphics), but that's really the point here. Wii will not offer the same games as PS3 and XBox 360 (generalizing), and it's good that they all co-exist. It kinda sucks for single console gamers, though not for all of course.

I know I will not buy PS3 or XBox 360, and I'm happy to have REWii as it is (though we don't even really know what it is yet). I don't really miss RE5 at all. So yeah, we're different, can't help it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Amir0x said:
what? Code Veronica does a lot more for the story than 3 ever did. I hardly consider Code Veronica a side story. it's part of the main series imo.

Amir0x

Banned
cvxfreak said:

Um, CV wasn't a side story. At all.

What does side story mean to you? We have to keep defining what it means at every turn. It's not in the main RE series. RE numbered series is 1-2-3-4-5. Next logic, 6. Code Veronica isn't numbered, it's a 'side story.' That doesn't mean it's not vitally important to the storyline of the series

Krowley

The interface and all the features soften the blow of the price a little bit...

The web browser actually looks usable, and that's pretty rare for those kinds of apps on a TV set...

BTW...There WAS video footage in that photo slideshow thing, apparently edited in, so it must have som kind of video editing capability... That begs the question, will there be a media player built in?.. Will it stream video's from my PC and is there any chance in hell that they would support codecs like Divx? If they did that, i would be very happy, but i doubt it.

rod

Banned
lol@amir0x challenging cvxfreak in RE knowledge (wait for him to reply to this post even though he doesnt need to but he just HAS to)

Nameless

ethelred said:
Dragon Quest VIII sold over three million in Japan.

It sold less than half a million in the US.

Yes, Japan is still very much the deciding factor in where DQ goes.

You miss the point. DQ will sell on ANY platform they put it out on in Japan--it does not matter. PS3 or Wii the game will be a blockbuster. My point was that japanase isn't the sole variable that Squeenix will take into account when trying to factor in which console to release it on. Its going to do it's numbers in japan no matter what, but they now know the game CAN sell in the US. Over 500k is a lot more than what DQVII did btw.

Nutter

Are you guys going to argue till the US conference. :lol

(isnt Amirox on the east coast? OMG he is cranky because he didnt go to sleep :p )

DCharlie said:
... but you've already said for the DQ game, no one knows where its going. It might even go to the Wii just so that SE can diversify their risk - stick FF on PS3, stick DQ on wii. Anyways, the point being no one knows SHIT for a whole slew of games, so i'm not sure we can say what is going where for certain. There are a lot of factors to be seen out (price, supply, uptake, attach rates, etc) for the Wii AND the PS3.

The problem as I see it is just that. No one DOES know where or how things are going or shifting... BUT Nintendo did little with this presentation to illustrate what may occur in their favor as far as games are concerned. Granted there are some big franchises that will make an appearance, but these were games that we knew were coming previously, I want to know how things have been embraced since then.

Lets step away from the established franchises for a moment and examine the actual developers and how many total games they have announced for the platform: Capcom, Konami , Koei, Namco-Bandai, Sega-Sammy, Square-Enix, etc.

Wasn't there a new list showing unannounced future titles they are now currently developing for the system? How many games are these companies giving the system now?

If there is anything that I'd like to have just right now: I want announcments, I want to know that theres a concrete future. I want to know that I am waiting for something.

Jonnyram

Amir0x said:
So why is nothing else online? Weird.
Do you mean nothing else at launch or nothing else period? Most of the details on these games are pretty scant at the moment. Everything at launch seems to be offline party games designed for the holiday season. I don't have a problem with this. I imagine online games will come later, but honestly I see 360 as being the king of the online hill this gen. Nothing's gonna touch it.

Krowley

Amir0x said:
What does side story mean to you? We have to keep defining what it means at every turn. It's not in the main RE series. RE numbered series is 1-2-3-4-5. Next logic, 6. Code Veronica isn't numbered, it's a 'side story.' That doesn't mean it's not vitally important to the storyline of the series

What if it's not on rails or anythig and the gameplay is just like RE4 only with less adventure elements and more straight shooting action? would you still be against it? That's what i'm expecting personaly.... If it's just an on rails shooter of some kind, i agree with you, but a game like i just described would be very awesome IMO.

cvxfreak

Amir0x said:

You're kidding, right?

CODE: Veronica featured the return of Wesker, who's been the person behind much of the plot ever since. It also solved the plotline for Claire, and told us of the origins of the T-Virus and of the Umbrella Corporation.

To me, sidestory simply means nothing in the RE series. Neither does the concept of a sidegame, since RE4 is obviously living proof that gameplay doesn't necessarily define the importance or relevance of an RE game. If Gun Survivor 4 rocked the house (talking an 80% game or whatever), I'm fairly sure people would love to count it.

You can basically say you want RE5 and not UC. We'll understand. You just have little clue what you're actually arguing about on this RE matter.

hyp

anyone else notice the jittery cursor on the wii GUI videos? that kind of worries me a bit. i'm sure that they had someone with experience demo the interface, but if you look carefully the hand movement and on-screen cursor seem a bit off.

Amir0x

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Do you mean nothing else at launch or nothing else period? Most of the details on these games are pretty scant at the moment. Everything at launch seems to be offline party games designed for the holiday season. I don't have a problem with this. I imagine online games will come later, but honestly I see 360 as being the king of the online hill this gen. Nothing's gonna touch it.

Yeah, nothing else at launch. I know it's coming later.

And naturally, yeah, nothing is gonna touch 360. It's free, so my standards are lower

cvxfreak said:
You're kidding, right?

CODE: Veronica featured the return of Wesker, who's been the person behind much of the plot ever since.

To me, sidestory simply means nothing in the RE series. Neither does the concept of a sidegame, since RE4 is obviously living proof that gameplay doesn't necessarily define the importance or relevance of an RE game.

You can basically say you want RE5 and not UC. We'll understand. You just have little clue what you're actually arguing about on this RE matter.

Hello, I beat Code Veronica. i OWN Code Veronica. We're arguing the definition of sidestory, not how important Code Veronica is to the story. In my view, this is sidestory. RE Wii barely qualifies for that - it's a rehash with waggle gameplay, from the info we have.

Nutter

Nameless said:
You miss the point. DQ will sell on ANY platform they put it out on in Japan--it does not matter. PS3 or Wii the game will be a blockbuster. My point was that japanase isn't the sole variable that Squeenix will take into account when trying to factor in which console to release it on. Its going to do it's numbers in japan no matter what, but they now know the game CAN sell in the US. Over 500k is a lot more than what DQVII did btw.
Over 500k? what part of UNDER half a million did you not understand?

Top Bottom