• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

SuomiDude

SolidSnakex said:
h-104_60066_wars01.jpg.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/2006/09/14/104,1158224663,60066,0,0.html

The article mentions stuff about Wifi so it looks like it could be another online game. Free fight, scenario fighting and co op are the modes mentioned.

What game is that? BWII? That was confirmed to have online at Leipzig.

maxmars

Woah.. Woke up to this mess this morning, entered IRC and it was full of people in shock (Dragona hyperventilating, Amir0x typing wildly).. It must have been crazy while the conference was on. :lol

As for me, this is great news. The system software is fantastic, it's the kind of stuff you do with a PC but without (hopefully) the need of being a techie nerd -- I can definitely see the whole family playing with pics, videos, internet, news.

I saw google maps Flash version on a slide (page 7?), if that turns out to be true then it's even better than expected (just think of the stuff done with Flash -- games, youtube etc).

As a side note, this is what would have sold me to the xbox360, but MS couldn't deliver because of their PC business.

The games: I cheered when I saw Fire Emblem, the rest of the line up is solid to me (personally I can't wait to put my hands on BWII, Zelda, THDHJ, Raving Rabbits).

The price.. I find it quite reasonable. There's a lot of hardware stuff thrown in (just not a powerful cpu/gpu) and quite a good bit of software. Excellent.

Now, Nintendo get this in Europe before Christmas, thanks! :D

Jonnyram

Scalemail Ted said:
Lets step away from the established franchises for a moment and examine the actual developers and how many total games they have announced for the platform: Capcom, Konami , Koei, Namco-Bandai, Sega-Sammy, Square-Enix, etc.
Capcom - 2
Konami - 1 at launch + 6 more later
Koei - 4
Namco-Bandai - 3 at launch + 5 later
Sega-Sammy - 1 at launch + 3 later
Square-Enix - 2

cvxfreak

Amir0x said:
Hello, I beat Code Veronica. i OWN Code Veronica. We're arguing the definition of sidestory, not how important Code Veronica is to the story. In my view, this is sidestory. RE Wii barely qualifies for that - it's a rehash with waggle gameplay, from the info we have.

Your definition is wrong then. I'm sorry.

A sidestory is a story that's, well, to the side. How can Wesker's return be something on the side? I'll hand you Claire's little plot to find Chris, even if it was pretty important, but I won't hand you the founding of Umbrella and the T-Veronica Virus as a sidestory.

Amir0x

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Your definition is wrong then. I'm sorry.

Well, I disagree. And in the end, however we label Code Veronica, we can't rightfully apply it to whatever the Wii game is - from the description, it doesn't even attempt to formulate its own story. Maybe fill in some blanks along the scenario of BH1-4 at best.

BooJoh

I'm all for the idea of DQIX on Wii, but I'm far more excited for DQS because of the whole concept of physically swinging my sword to fight enemies and stuff. Yeah it's a totally different type of game, but it's an awesome concept and with the DQ name it'll probably sell like hotcakes in Japan either way. Even if they had announced DQIX for Wii tonight, it would likely be another 9 months at least until its release. Look how DS's library expanded pretty much with a curve. Patience will see more traditional titles for Wii while devs work out the best way to use the system's features on them. Until then, try out some quirky games you might otherwise not try. They might surprise you.

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Wouldn't it be really cool if the weather in Animal Crossing was synched to the Weather Channel? So when it's raining outside your door...it's raining in Animal Crossing! Another cool feature would be importing your photos as patterns in the game etc. Maybe sending photos to other users through Wiiconnect 24..
This poster deserves a cookie or something. Awesome idea. Though there are places where some players would never experience some weather conditions.

rod

Banned
RECV=more storyline and into the timeline of RE series than RE3

RE3, while ****ing AWESOME, is the side story

cvxfreak

Amir0x said:
Well, I disagree. And in the end, however we label Code Veronica, we can't rightfully apply it to whatever the Wii game is - from the description, it doesn't even attempt to formulate its own story. Maybe fill in some blanks along the scenario of BH1-4 at best.

Well, I'm glad Capcom rehashed CODE: Veronica by adding ten minutes of extra footage all for the sake of a side story. :p

RE UC is going to be different from all the rest, but if it plays like RE4, who cares about the story in the end. It may as well be RE4 Zero.

Amir0x

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Well, I'm glad Capcom rehashed CODE: Veronica by adding ten minutes of extra footage all for the sake of a side story. :p

RE UC is going to be different from all the rest, but if it plays like RE4, who cares about the story in the end. It may as well be RE4 Zero.

I guess i have to be an uber hardcore fan to feel that way. For me, revisiting the scenarios is far less appealing then, say, having a whole brand new story and 'world' to visit.

Jonnyram

Amir0x said:
I guess i have to be an uber hardcore fan to feel that way.
I think your definition of hardcore is somewhat mistaken. If anyone is hardcore about RE around here, it's the guy you're arguing with :p

etiolate

Banned
So they showcased a lot more GUI and features than I thoguht they would or even had, but I don't recall a movie/media player. There was a film clip in the slideshow though. Will the Wii be able to play audio files off of SDs? Will it have a specific media player program?

Amir0x

Banned
Jonnyram said:
I think your definition of hardcore is somewhat mistaken. If anyone is hardcore about RE around here, it's the guy you're arguing with :p

That's what I am saying! Cvxfreak is a really hardcore RE fan, which is why cvx may be more excited about revisiting old scenarios than I. I can respect that.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Hey I just realized something. Wii Opera can play Flash files on the interweb, so basically you can upload any movie in FLV (Flash Video, á la Youtube) and watch it through the browser. :lol

Amir0x said:
Hello, I beat Code Veronica. i OWN Code Veronica. We're arguing the definition of sidestory, not how important Code Veronica is to the story. In my view, this is sidestory. RE Wii barely qualifies for that - it's a rehash with waggle gameplay, from the info we have.

Um, sidestory means that the story of the game is, y'know, to the side. Which CV really isn't.

If you want to be more accurate, use spinoff. But that still doesn't work.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
I guess i have to be an uber hardcore fan to feel that way. For me, revisiting the scenarios is far less appealing then, say, having a whole brand new story and 'world' to visit.

We'll you're a hardcore gamer right. Start loving it or you'll lose your coveted status.

cvxfreak

Amir0x said:

You're right. I can't expect anyone else to sympathize; hell I can't even expect some other dedicated RE fans to agree (although we'll all agree about CV :p).

RE5 ftw. But BHUC is going to be very interesting... unless it's REmake Deadly Silence. ::barf::

Krowley

Amir0x said:
That's what I am saying! Cvxfreak is a really hardcore RE fan, which is why cvx may be more excited about revisiting old scenarios than I. I can respect that.

ok, well that explains it then.... Put that RE4 gameplay in almost any context, and i will eat it up... Don't care about the story at all.

Striek

trh said:
Hey I just realized something. Wii Opera can play Flash files on the interweb, so basically you can upload any movie in FLV (Flash Video, á la Youtube) and watch it through the browser. :lol
Whats special about that?

Can't you play movies off of SD cards or whatever?

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Striek said:
Whats special about that?

Can't you play movies off of SD cards or whatever?
I don't think they've mentioned anything about anything like that (yet). But there'll always be a way around.

cvxfreak

Amir0x said:

Truth be told, I stopped caring about the story's finer details a long time ago. If there's a contradiction between games, so be it. With Noboru Sugimura gone, it kinda just faded from my radar. That's why to me, an RE game is an RE game. No matter how far off a game might go from the formula established in 1996, each game will still retain a feel that makes it a part of the whole series while other similar games like Silent Hill will always feel different.
Although RE2 game.com can go **** itself.
A number or subtitle won't save a game from being mediocre or stop a game from being awesome.

But... back to the Wii now! :D

Top Bottom