• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

rs7k

That is definitely an arrogant move by Nintendo. No way a Wii (read: upgraded GC) is worth $250. I don't care if you pack in a stupid bowling game, no one will want to pick up among my friends.

gutter_trash said:
250 bucks, the price is normal but a lttile excessive when hardware is concerned

but the shocked for me is the late release date AFTER the PS3 .. why?

the supposed 400 000 North AMericans purchasing a PS3 on Nov 15 will have a dent in their credit cards.. and these 400 000 early opters (gamers) will think twice if they will buy a 2nd Console under a week after making their expensive opting of the PS3.

Terribe terrible launching the Wii after the PS3.. all the broke gamers who buy a PS3 won't buy a Wii

All 400,000 of them? All of whom will probably be the most hardcore Sony fans? I wouldn't count on it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
SolidSnakex said:
Says they'll have Excite Truck ready for Wii launch.

Well, that's enough news for me to commence thrash wanking.

EXCITE TRUCK

9:35 am: Reggie's talking about the 25-game launch lineup, not surprisingly being led by The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Excite Truck will also be out on day one. He makes much of the fact that this is the first Nintendo console to launch with a Zelda...though, admittedly, this Zelda was originally intended for the previous console

LevelNth said:
I don't want to overhate, but I'm kinda disappointed with all this. $250 is too much to ask for the tech and features included IMO, and packing in WiiSports but only one wiimote defeats the entire purpose of what they hope the game can do, especially since the game's simplicity will IMO backfire as a singleplayer experience. And selling the mote and nunchuk seperately for close to $50 combined is a bit much. Releasing after the PS3 is a strange move as well; they really should hit before Sony does.

Also the VC prices are way too high IMO. $4-5 for a Famicom title and $7-8 for a SNES title are ridiculous, especially since they're wholly digital with no packaging or manufacturing required.

Just a sidebar, but I find it rather ironic how everyone is reacting to the non-gaming features of the Wii (which I think are neat, but rather extraneous) after all the hate the 360 and PS3 get for not being 'all about the games'.

I don't know, this post has a lot of hate and I know I'll get flack for that, but I'm just underwhelmed right now. The lineup of games is rather tame, Mario looks to definitely be next year and I don't even want to think about dealing with GC 1.2 level graphics in 2008.

Anyways, I can't go all hate in this post. The interface is pretty nice, Zelda looks great as usual and I'm still intrigued to hear more about the whole WiiConnect24 thing. Go easy on me folks...

You call that "overhating?" Good god. Your concerns are pretty reasonable, IMO.

gutter_trash said:
250 bucks, the price is normal but a lttile excessive when hardware is concerned

but the shocked for me is the late release date AFTER the PS3 .. why?

the supposed 400 000 North AMericans purchasing a PS3 on Nov 15 will have a dent in their credit cards.. and these 400 000 early opters (gamers) will think twice if they will buy a 2nd Console under a week after making their expensive opting of the PS3.

Terribe terrible launching the Wii after the PS3.. all the broke gamers who buy a PS3 won't buy a Wii

don't forget that on launch only 400,000 people can buy PS3, as opposed to god knows how many Wiis. I imagine 2 mil for NA, 1 for JPN, 1 mil for Euro.

Give or take, but still, large availability right before the xmas shopping season starts will save it.

9:35 EST: Shows list of third party games. Ubisoft, Midway, Konami, EA, Activision, and Vivendi, the latter of which has Ice Age 2 coming.

"A bridge to gaming for mainstream audiences," says EA's Larry Probst of Wii.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
9:35 EST: Shows list of third party games. Ubisoft, Midway, Konami, EA, Activision, and Vivendi, the latter of which has Ice Age 2 coming.

"In all, approximately 30 Wii games will be available at retail during the launch window. And about half of those will be available at launch," Reggie says. Games will be priced at $49.99.

Zynx

Small tidbit - I don't know if anyone's mentioned or even noticed yet - but Link is RIGHT HANDED! Looks like the southpaw gene didn't get passed down?

bachikarn

"Inside the box, you'll get the hardware, all the cables, the sensor bar. One Wii remote and one nunchuck controller."

Do you think they'll include component cables? That would be badass.

9:39 am: Here's a random sampling of third-party games that will be out on day one: Call of Duty 3, Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam, Trauma Center: Second Opinion, Need for Speed: Carbon, Madden 07, Elebits, Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz, Rayman: Raving Rabbids, Splinter Cell: Double Agent.

Sgt. Killjoy said:
don't forget that on launch only 400,000 people can buy PS3, as opposed to god knows how many Wiis. I imagine 2 mil for NA, 1 for JPN, 1 mil for Euro.

Give or take, but still, large availability right before the xmas shopping season starts will save it.

Um, the plan to have 4 million Wiis out by year's end. Unless you mean Ninty ain't shipping jack after launch...

9:39 am: Here's a random sampling of third-party games that will be out on day one: Call of Duty 3, Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam, Trauma Center: Second Opinion, Need for Speed: Carbon, Madden 07, Elebits, Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz, Rayman: Raving Rabbids, Splinter Cell: Double Agent.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Shard said:

"In all, approximately 30 Wii games will be available at retail during the launch window. And about half of those will be available at launch," Reggie says. Games will be priced at $49.99.
Thank god.

TwIsTeD

this $250 price tag will make me think twice about getting the PS3 at launch now, i`ll still get both most likely but if money gets tight then Wii all the way, i feel like i`m a little kid again getting so hyped up, Nintendo FTW!

Soybean

Pureauthor said:
Um, the plan to have 4 million Wiis out by year's end. Unless you mean Ninty ain't shipping jack after launch...
That was 4 million. 2 million NA + 1 million Europe + 1 million Japan.

Saoh

Zynx said:
Small tidbit - I don't know if anyone's mentioned or even noticed yet - but Link is RIGHT HANDED! Looks like the southpaw gene didn't get passed down?

in TP? :eek: Miyamoto must be pissed! Link is left handed

Pureauthor said:

ok maybe i should rephrase that.

Sony will not ship even 1 mil systems by years end. Theres the advantage.

SantaC

Luke said:
This is the first time, Fils-Aime points out, that "we have a launch title on the first day." He likens the presence of Zelda at launch to the Yankees scoring nine runs in the first inning of a baseball game.

:lol :lol :lol

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
jarosh said:
HOLD ME AMIR0X NO MP3 AT LAUNCH

:(

Doesn't seem like he is awake but boy when he logs in, well, one might need to get a tank of oxygen and a brething apperatus.

9:45 EST: 30 Virtual Console games by the end of the year. Beginning in January, Nintendo will deliver 10 more VC games per month.

9:41 am: More details that we already knew: roughly 30 games by the end of the year, and all first-party games will be in at $49.99 or under. But here's somethin we haven't heard much about: "Wii Channels." Reggie says this idea is meant to expand the console's interface for all the members of the family.

Only disappointing news for me from this entire shebang is no black Wii available at launch. I expected the price months ago and the fact that it comes with WiiSports makes me pretty happy.

Pureauthor said:
All 400,000 of them? All of whom will probably be the most hardcore Sony fans? I wouldn't count on it.

dont assume all early opters to be solo brand fanboys

alot of early opters are gaming enthusiasts who want to be 1st getting the next new console

the difference maker here is TIMING and PRICE.. the PS3's price will affect the early opter who buys one alot more then you think

then Wii comes in later after the Gaming Entuists dropped 800 bucks on the PS3.
Will he be ready to buy 2nd new console in a span of FIVE days???
there you go

please don't asume thaty every PS3 launch opter is a Sony fan boy... as I for one am a Sega fan boy 1st and formost

gutter_trash said:
dont assume all early opters to be solo brand fanboys

alot of early opters are gaming enthusiasts who want to be 1st getting the next new console

the difference maker here is TIMING and PRICE.. the PS3's price will affect the early opter who buys one alot more then you think

then Wii comes in later after the Gaming Entuists dropped 800 bucks on the PS3.
Will he be ready to buy 2nd new console in a span of FIVE days???
there you go

please don't asume thaty every PS3 launch opter is a Sony fan boy... as I for one am a Sega fan boy 1st and formost

So i guess only about 1.6 million people would buy able to buy Wii?

disappointing, i know

Swordian

"Wii points will be used to purchase Virtual Console titles. 100 Wii Points equals a dollar, NES titles cost 500 points ($5), SNES titles 800 points ($8) and Nintendo 64 titles cost 1000 points ($10)."

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
rs7k said:
That is definitely an arrogant move by Nintendo. No way a Wii (read: upgraded GC) is worth $250. I don't care if you pack in a stupid bowling game, no one will want to pick up among my friends.

wii sports is the pack in, not just bowling.. and i bet you the console drops in price a month or two after new years..

Metroid Prime 3 delayed = awesome.

Retro needs all the time in the world.

It really seems that the Wii launch will be targeted towards hardcore and early adopters.

$250. WTF NINTENDOOOOOOOOO

I'm still getting it. I was majorly impressed by Wii at the Jp event. It's going to be really hard getting all that money, but I really can't wait to get my goddamned hands on that mother****ing Wii! YUM!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Luke reports that the Legend of Zelda (NES), Super Mario World (SNES) and Super Mario 64 will all be launch day ready on the Virtual Console.

Top Bottom