• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

MMaRsu

live-from-new-york-20060914064455713-000.jpg

live-from-new-york-20060914064458401-000.jpg

I think the $250 Wii Pack is a mistake as well. Either put it barebones at $199, or if you want to pack Wii Sports you HAVE to put 2 controller set ups in there.

Swordian said:
"Wii points will be used to purchase Virtual Console titles. 100 Wii Points equals a dollar, NES titles cost 500 points ($5), SNES titles 800 points ($8) and Nintendo 64 titles cost 1000 points ($10)."

So, giving conversion rates to Singaporean dollars, that's:

NES: $8.5

SNES: $13.6

N64: $17

Ugh.

9:44 am: Now we're getting slides of the Wii Channels interface, which lets you start up a Wii or GameCube disc, as well as hitting the "Wii Shop Channel" to buy older games for the Virtual Console (and look for Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 at launch). After launch, Nintendo is estimating around 10 new games a month to be available.

Surprisingly, full pricing details are here. NES games will be available for 500 Wii points, Super NES games for 800, and Nintendo 64 for 1,000. Wait, Wii what? Looks like they're taking the same tack as Microsoft: Consumers part with fake money more easily than real money. A 2,000 Wii-point card can be had at retail for $20.

LJ11

When buying another controller, do I need to buy both the nunchuck and the Wii remote, or is the Wiimote enough?

Nintendo ALONE is going to deliver 10 VC games a month

sweeeeeet

ok that pic of reggie with the madden screenshot behind him, that screen looks wayyy to good

9:48 EST: Bill Trinen takes stage to talk about Wii channels. Says that these channels will make non-gamers want to pick up the Wii. Trinen goes into the Mii channel, which enables users to create virtual versions of themselves. He says he wants to create Samuel L. Jackson. Modifies hair and face on a 3D model. Changes eyes. Changes nose. Changes lips. Gives him a mustache. Changes the color of his clothes. Enter his name. This is all done easily with the Wii-mote by pointing and clicking.

MMaRsu

Wii Channels Menu - News channel shown, as well as weather, shop, photo, and others. 1 page of 12 Wii channels, expandable as well. Disc channel allows players to play Wii game or Game Cube games, Wii Shop is the Virtual Console home, The legend of zelda, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64 and Donkey Kong available for VC launch day. 10 games per month, 5 bucks for NES, 8 for SNES, and 10 for N64. Wii Points acquired online or at retaliers. 2000 Wii points card for 20 bucks at retail. Games story internally and becomes its own channel. Title is available forever once downloaded.

YES!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Shard said:
Mario Kart is one of those sooner or later formality titles.

it better have funky wii controls that aren't snake friendly like EXCITING TRUCKS

big_z

Screenboy said:
VC:

N64 game = $10
SNES game = $8
NES game = $5

I'm hoping you get wii points when you buy wii games or through achievements or something. Current pricing is a little much.... should be half that or less.

LJ11 said:
When buying another controller, do I need to buy both the nunchuck and the Wii remote, or is Wiimote enough?

For most games you'll need both, so from what I gather, $60 a pop. But for a game like Wii Sports you only really need the Wiimote.

Ok, so I just got to work and quite frankly completely forgot this thing was going on. $250 with Wii Sports is alright, but I wish they would have packed in more than one controller. That's gonna run another $60, plus another game, and whatever else you may want.

Any word on how the "points" system for the VC works? I'm hoping I get to give them SKUs from past products and get points, because lord knows I have enough skus...

Bill goes into the photo channel. "For the first time ever, photo viewing is not a time-consuming thing." Take SD Card out of your digital camera, insert into the front flap on Wii and "boom -- you're looking at digital photos." The interface is smooth, fast and easy.

Shows iPhoto-like slideshow feature complete with Ken Burns-style zooms and pans.

jarrod

Banned
$249's higher than I'd have liked... wasn't really planning on picking up Wii Sports either, I'd rather save $50 and get the bare bones system.... they should've packed in Wii Motorsports instead. :(

VC pricing seems pretty fair though ($4-5 NES, $7-8 SNES/TG/Genesis, $9-10 N64), right in line with classics on XBLA actually... anyone surprised by it will probably have a heart attack when we get PSP download prices. ;)

MSX is a nice surprise too. Now if only Nintendo wakes up and signs NeoGeo, we'd be all set... can't wait to see the initial VC game list.

As far as actual Wii games, Excite Truck and Twilight Princess make a nice launch duo. I'll probably pick up those along with Hyper Monkey Ball and Metal Slug Anthology.

TheGreatDave said:
Not too bad. Nice and simple, but the Zelda box sucks compared to that old placeholder Gamecube one.
it will be gold and shiny most likely though to make up for it ;)

excite truck is a day one buy. zelda is a day one buy.

if they had zelda and metroid day one, third parties wouldn't sell shit.

Boxarts look great. Good job, Nintendo.

I also like how it's constantly Wii and not Nintendo Wii. I think that's an important detail to attract nongamers.

jarrod said:
$249's higher than I'd have liked... wasn't really planning on picking up Wii Sports either, I'd rather save $50 and get the bare bones system.... they should've packed in Wii Motorsports instead. :(

VC pricing seems pretty fair though ($4-5 NES, $7-8 SNES/TG/Genesis, $9-10 N64), right in line with classics on XBLA actually... anyone surprised by it will probably have a heart attack when we get PSP download prices. ;)

MSX is a nice surprise too. Now if only Nintendo wakes up and signs NeoGeo, we'd be all set... can't wait to see the initial VC game list.

As far as actual Wii games, Excite Truck and Twilight Princess make a nice launch duo. I'll probably pick up those along with Hyper Monkey Ball and Metal Slug Anthology.

Saturn and PS1 games, PLZ.

Leonsito

9:46 am: Bill Trinen is showing off the "Mii" channel, which lets you create your cartoon-like avatar to represent yourself within games. To demonstrate the flexibility of the Mii character-creation utility--which lets you pick hair styles, skin color, facial features, and so on--Trinen is creating a rather, uh, loose interpretation of Samuel L. Jackson. After finishing the Mii, he's got it running around with pretty accurate Mii versions of Iwata and Miyamoto.

Snakes on a Plane game confirmed for Wii.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
SolidSnakex said:
Looks like they're taking the same tack as Microsoft: Consumers part with fake money more easily than real money.

yeah.. which is annoying.. but at least 1 point = 1 cent.. so its easier to figure out how much something costs.. how much does one live point cost?

pilonv1

SolidSnakex said:
Bill goes into the photo channel. "For the first time ever, photo viewing is not a time-consuming thing." Take SD Card out of your digital camera, insert into the front flap on Wii and "boom -- you're looking at digital photos." The interface is smooth, fast and easy.

That's not even close to the first time ever you could do that. It's never been time consuming.

10:00 EST: Reggie takes the stage. "When connected to the Internet, users have access to news and weather channels." News is constantly updated via WiiConnect24. Also a Wii message board where users can send messages and photos to other Wii owners; or to PC owners or cell phone. You can also leave messages on a calendar-based note system.

Chats about WiiConnect24. More aspects will be shared later, he says.

Back to channels. You can download the Opera Web browser using Wii points. So you'll need to buy it. Then you can surf the Net.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sgt. Killjoy said:
Nintendo ALONE is going to deliver 10 VC games a month

Meh. 10 a month over 3 consoles = 3-4 per month per console. I was hoping for more like 15-20 per month per console. Ultimately though I guess it just depends on their release schedule.

It'd also be nice if they did promotions like on the release day of a new Wii or DS game, lower the cost or make available for free previous games; Yoshi's Island is one thing I'm talking about.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Some of us love our boxart and don't like bad boxart.

9:50 am: The second component of the Mii concept is transporting your Miis elsewhere, since they're stored on your remote. Head to a friend's house, play tennis with your controller, and you'll see your Mii pop right up in the game.

Now we're getting a demo of the photo channel, which is a pretty standard photo viewer. The most impressive thing here is how quickly Bill is navigating the photos with the Wii remote, which works like a mouse. You can also view videos through this thing, even adding mosaic effects or turning the video into a slide puzzle. That'll be handy for blurring out the faces of ex-girlfriends.

Top Bottom