• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

Yep this is what I foresee in my future.

"Hey this game looks cool can I play?"
"Sure...did you bring your own controller?"
"No"
"I guess you better go buy one then."

Yep definitely sticking with the PS2/360 for the rest of the year.

I'm sure I'll have a Wii when Smash Brothers comes out but before then LOL. Also I'm going to be watching ebay very closely for deals the entire time.

Also VC looks to be a big joke. Having Super Mario 64 would be cool but they expect at least $5 a game? Companies like Sega and Taito have no qualms about putting close to 30 games on a single compilation for $20 but Nintendo expects to sell NES games at $5 a pop?

Oh forget it I'm just repeating the same crap I said months ago. Oh and Wiisports is still a lame pack-in. Should have given a choice of game or just stuck it at Zelda(or even no game at all? Does NoA not expect Wiisports to sell so they just bundled it in?).

Nevermind I gotta get out of here. I'm bitching too much.

can we stop all this maths sillyness anyways. the Wii is $250 for everything you need (well, maybe not component cables but waiting for a confirmed NO) and a game.

that might be too expensive. they might be about right. we don't need to do all this adding stuff to show how like, omg it adds up. every console launch ever has been like that and the only other console i bought that didn't force me to buy another piece of hardware (since the SNES days) was the Xbox 360 premium.

it adds up like that for every console. it doesn't make the $250 any better or worse value than you already think. breaking down the price to say 'but you get weather and stuff!' is spin. saying 'but you have to buy an extra bunch of controllers and stuff and it all adds up!' is spin.

the controller + nunchuck is expensive and by my estimation most games use both... but we can all add for ourselves.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
TheTrin said:
that's not curious at all. Do you know of any planes that can get from Japan to New York in less than 13 hours?

plane.large.jpg

singularity said:
HOLY CRAP!

If I buy a Wii and like ten games and three controllers, it's more expensive than a PS3! CRAZY
A bare bones PS3 without a game and probably one controller. I expect you will want controllers and games with that PS3?

Saoh

jarosh said:
mp3 in 2007 & Zelda GCN in Dec. = Amir0x vv

suicide.gif

fix´d :)

really, who cares if MP3 was delayed?? its better. i want Retro to work on final Wii kits, not 2 years on GCN kits and then make the jump. NO. i wont accept that.

So... affordability, Nintendo?

Wii just blew it's shot at being a party console, unless partygoers have their own Wiimotes, which would kinda defeat the point.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Sgt. Killjoy said:
did they say if it would have built in wireless internet or not?

Internet Yes, Browser no

MMaRsu

PepsimanVsJoe said:

"No"

I'm sure I'll have a Wii when Smash Brothers comes out but before then LOL. Also I'm going to be watching ebay very closely for deals the entire time.

Also VC looks to be a big joke. Having Super Mario 64 would be cool but they expect at least $5 a game? Companies like Sega and Taito have no qualms about putting close to 30 games on a single compilation for $20 but Nintendo expects to sell NES games at $5 a pop?

Oh forget it I'm just repeating the same crap I said months ago. Oh and Wiisports is still a lame pack-in. Should have given a choice of game or just stuck it at Zelda(or even no game at all? Does NoA not expect Wiisports to sell so they just bundled it in?).

People bought Pacman for 5 bucks too on XBLA.

Hero

How the hell are people making a price comparison between buying the Wii console and three EXTRA controllers to the likes of Xbox 360 and PS3?

Apples = Oranges here at GAF!

Brofist

TheTrin said:
that's not curious at all. Do you know of any planes that can get from Japan to New York in less than 13 hours?

maybe he was already in NY doing the rounds on Letterman and the Today Show :D

Zalasta

StRaNgE said:
if it came prepacked with 2 controllers it would be alot easier to swallow the 250 price.

pushing multiplayer so hard yet only one controller?

It sucks for the consumers but is a very smart move by Nintendo. Since they are guaranteed that those who want to play Wii Sports will have to shell out more money for at least one other controller, and those that do not, well, they are stuck with it because there isn't a barebone packaging available. Either way Nintendo wins!

suaveric said:
They threw in a $50 game and charged us the full price on it. I'm not sure I'd call that a good reason, but that seems to be the reason.

How do you know it was full price? Do you have some insider information here? Wii Sports isn't exactly the most complex game in the library so it's not like they couldn't have sold it for $20. And maybe they are discounting the game as an incentive to get more people interested in buying the console?

Some of you people look at things too straightly. The math in business isn't as simple as 1 + 1.

What you said is akin to saying that the XBox 360 bundle shouldn't be $399 because you get Hexic with it. WHAT A SCAM. It should be $394.

SumGamer

Saoh said:
fix´d :)

really, who cares if MP3 was delayed?? its better. i want Retro to work on final Wii kits, not 2 years on GCN kits and then make the jump. NO. i wont accept that.

I actualy want Retro to release MP3 now and take all those time to build a proper Metroid from the ground up.

Hero said:
How the hell are people making a price comparison between buying the Wii console and three EXTRA controllers to the likes of Xbox 360 and PS3?

Apples = Oranges here at GAF!
They seem to forget that you need to buy a game and controllers with a Xbox360 or PS3 and at that point they will be getting into the $500-$1000 price range unless if they want to just stare at a $300-$600 console.

daegan

quadriplegicjon said:
you had unreasonable expectations if you believed that a controller that is much more advanced and with more tech included would be the same price, or cheaper than the 360 controller.

No, the 360 controller comes from a company who has traditionally overpriced their accessories and is continuing this on the 360; $50 is way too much for that controller. $40 or $35 would be more in-line with what it's really worth, but they price it that high to make back the money they lose on the console.

The Wii controller comes from a company who always profits on hardware and had the most reasonably priced controllers last generation. Nintendo doesn't NEED to gouge on the controllers; $20 for the nunchuck seems much more fair than $40 for Wiimote. Maybe $25 for Wiimote. $30 at the ceiling. $40 is insane. For $40 it should hold your damn game saves; they give away 64MB flash drives for preordering games now, they can damn well afford it.

fse

DefectiveReject said:
wii.com still has placeholders so NoE conference should fill us in?

If you can edit home movies, surely you can play them.

home movies? aren't just slideshows...?

I swear to god, you're all saying "mp3" and I'm racking my brain trying to figure out when Nintendo said there would be mp3 music support/playability/downloading going "what's the big deal?" Then I got it.

I'm so out of it this morning.

Taker666

PepsimanVsJoe said:

"No"

Well Frogger and Time Pilot cost $5.00 a pop on the 360...so why expect NES games to be less?

Peru

Pureauthor said:
So... affordability, Nintendo?

Wii just blew it's shot at being a party console, unless partygoers have their own Wiimotes, which would kinda defeat the point.
Of course it didn't. People happily buy guitars for Guitar Hero. They buy expensive consoles just to switch them on when friends are over. This is no hindrance to that.

That said, the controller prices are too high. I'll have to wait a while to pick up my second set. The console price is fine. Games, VC prices are good. Launch is OK. I wanted wario ware as my party game, but I guess I'll have to wait a few months for that. I'm very glad MP3 is delayed, let's have it polished, expanded, like Twilight Princess has been.

again. metroid and zelda on the same day hurts nintendo. it hurts 3rd parties. it was crazy to think they'd do it (let alone adding mario into the mix). launch should be a few solid titles followed up by a killer title every month or two which is what they're doing.

xabre

Banned
I want to know how this homebrew movie thing works...be very nice if it supported some basic PC formats like xvid. Sick and tired of having to convert shit all the time.

Benadryl Hitman said:
A bare bones PS3 without a game and probably one controller. I expect you will want controllers and games with that PS3?

And that sound you hear is "the point" flying directly over this man's head.

Xzbeat

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
You do not invites members of the press to a conference in their own territory to announce the delay of a console. The press would be livid. Nintendo reps confirmed last week that the launch was on track for 2006 for all major three territories, no?
Exactly. I think they'll announce something great. An exclusive launch game maybe :) ?

I'm very happy with everything so far.

The US conference didn't add much ontop of what we already gathered from the Japan conference (aside from confirmation of the price, MP3 delay ;_;). I'm still really really happy with the GUI being so slick. The "channel" set up is also really a surprising idea coming from Nintendo - and I'm impressed with it. Zelda and a tonne of other games have my interest.

Now for the European conference to see how much this is gonna cost me.

daegan said:

No, the 360 controller comes from a company who has traditionally overpriced their accessories and is continuing this on the 360; $50 is way too much for that controller. $40 or $35 would be more in-line with what it's really worth, but they price it that high to make back the money they lose on the console.

The Wii controller comes from a company who always profits on hardware and had the most reasonably priced controllers last generation. Nintendo doesn't NEED to gouge on the controllers; $20 for the nunchuck seems much more fair than $40 for Wiimote. Maybe $25 for Wiimote. $30 at the ceiling. $40 is insane. For $40 it should hold your damn game saves; they give away 64MB flash drives for preordering games now, they can damn well afford it.
maybe wait until you know what sony are going to charge for their controller before you go too far.

Peru said:
Of course it didn't. People happily buy guitars for Guitar Hero. They buy expensive consoles just to switch them on when friends are over. This is no hindrance to that.

That said, the controller prices are too high. I'll have to wait a while to pick up my second set. The console price is fine. Games, VC prices are good. Launch is OK. I wanted wario ware as my party game, but I guess I'll have to wait a few months for that. I'm very glad MP3 is delayed, let's have it polished, expanded, like Twilight Princess has been.

Huh. Buying a guitar just for multiplayer? Not my cuppa.

But this severely limits possibilities. When they had the option of two Wiimotes, it could mean a whol slew of games designed around both of them. Now, we'll have to make do with the nunchuck.

pollo

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:

"No"

No, bitch more. ****ing nintendo deserves it.

**** if I'm buying a Wii at launch. With the gamecube I actually bought it cause it had good games it launched with. (Factor 5, Smash Bros, etc.) Now the promise of a Zelda for the cube is going to deter me from getting the Wii; furthermore the ass backwards cost of old video games, controllers, other peripherals is not doing anything to keep me around. **** you nintendo. Ill stick to buying a ds lite in the near future and wait for an X360 pack-in/price drop.

Way to totally **** over your fan base again. [insert good day sirs animated gif here]

Brofist

singularity said:
How do you know it was full price? Do you have some insider information here? Wii Sports isn't exactly the most complex game in the library so it's not like they couldn't have sold it for $20. And maybe they are discounting the game as an incentive to get more people interested in buying the console?

Some of you people look at things too straightly. The math in business isn't as simple as 1 + 1.

What you said is akin to saying that the XBox 360 bundle shouldn't be $399 because you get Hexic with it. WHAT A SCAM. It should be $394.

The Japanese Wii + Wiisports as a seperate purchase = the price of the US wii w/Wiisports packed in. Sounds like you are basically buying the game to me.

daegan

Peru said:

Yes and no; I hear quite often that $40 is too much for an extra controller for GH.

Top Bottom