• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

Man that is a shitty looking Mario picture, but looks better in motion.

I'm thinking about potential Wii bundles at EBgames.com/GS, here's one possibility

System - 250
Zelda - 50
Excite Truck - 50
Red Steel - 50
Extra Wiimote/Nunchuck - 60
Classic Controller - 20?
1000 point card - 10

I'm guessing something around a 499 bundle.

I don't see the justification of games still being priced at 49.99 for Wii. I thought one of the main attractions of Wii was low development cost, how come that isn't showing up with the price of the games. They should be lower.

I'm sooooo pissed that one complete controller (wiimote + nunchuck attachment) is going to cost ****ing $60.00!!!!! WTF!!

Razor (Wii system) + Cartridges (accessories) model FTMFL.

daegan said:
We're not talking about Sony here; Sony, like MS, overcharges for their accessories. Not so much in the latter half of PS2 - $25 is fine for a DS2 but $25 is INSANE for an 8mb Memory Card.

(I fully expect the PS3 controller to come in at $49.99, which will still seem a bit overpriced. It does have a built-in rechargeable battery, but it still stings a little bit. If it comes in over that, I'll be surprised, but not shocked given their history of pricing their controllers higher at launch.)

$60 for a complete Wiimotepackage is just completely out of character with Nintendo's history and message. It's messing with my head.
ah okay. when you said 'over priced' i didn't realise you meant 'charge more than it costs to make'. i just misunderstood you. those SDF avatars aren't always helpful i guess.

Xzbeat

daegan said:
We're not talking about Sony here; Sony, like MS, overcharges for their accessories. Not so much in the latter half of PS2 - $25 is fine for a DS2 but $25 is INSANE for an 8mb Memory Card.
WTF? Only $25. We had to pay a ****ing €45 for a ****ing 8MB memory Card.
**** you Sony.

Xrenity

ninten05.jpg

daegan

quadriplegicjon said:
i thought the GC was sold at cost when released? and i bet you that if nintendo sold the wiimote at $25 they would be losing money.. again. unreasonable expectations.

No, I'm willing to bet that $20 is about cost for the Wiimote. If it's expensive, Nintendo doesn't build it. We're talking about the company that priced the Game Boy Micro at $99 for christsakes. If the GC was at cost (which I doubt given history) then that still puts more weight behind my point that they don't "need" to gouge on the controllers.

BOHICA time for Wii fun with friends.

suaveric

Beezy said:
I wonder if Metroid Prime 3 was delayed to add an online multiplayer mode. I can't think of any other reason why it might've been delayed.

They delayed it so they didn't have two action adventure games coming out the same day. The bonus is that Retro has more time now to add to the title

So much for Wii being #1 this gen (as if that was ever believable).

So much for me getting Wii at launch (maybe).

Wii to outdo GameCube... cross your fingers for Japanese success.

The Black Brad Pitt said:
I cant make out shit from that REsident Evil screenshot. What am i meant to be seeing?
it's the door into the statue room in the Arklay Mansion being busted in. First door on the right in the lobby. The room where you find the map to the ground floor.

basically, it appears to be REmake quality visuals running in real time (not impossible to believe given what RE4 looked like) in a game that is rumoured to be an RE4 styled run around (more action less puzzles) of classic environments from the series in full 3d with similar controls to RE4/GS4.

of course, it could just be a prerendered clip and all that other stuff could be wrong, but that's what seems to be trickling in at the moment.

TiVo

QUOTE FROM IGN REGGIE TALKING
Bill goes into the photo channel. "For the first time ever, photo viewing is not a time-consuming thing." Take SD Card out of your digital camera, insert into the front flap on Wii and "boom -- you're looking at digital photos." The interface is smooth, fast and easy.

Shows iPhoto-like slideshow feature complete with Ken Burns-style zooms and pans.

Shows off a movie-playack mode. You can apparently transfer home-brew movies to your Wii, view them and modify them in real-time.

daegan

plagiarize said:
ah okay. when you said 'over priced' i didn't realise you meant 'charge more than it costs to make'. i just misunderstood you. those SDF avatars aren't always helpful i guess.

In the case of 8mb memory cards for PS2 and 360's first party EVERYTHING it's not "charge more than it costs to make", it's "charge more than it's worth".

When you pay $49.99 for a 360 controller, you're sending the message that it's worth the same amount of money that, say, Final Fantasy XII or Zelda: TP is. And it's not.

When you pay $60 overall for a Wiimotepackage, you'll be sending the message that it's worth the same amount of money as Dead Rising or Oblivion. And again, it's obviously not.

A $60 Wiimotepackage is LESS gouging than a $50 360 Wireless Con, but it's still WAY TOO MUCH.

Xrenity

lol gaf.

Overreacting am total.

X360 price was too high when it was announced.
PS3 price was insanely high when it was announced.

suaveric

mysticstylez said:
I don't see the justification of games still being priced at 49.99 for Wii. I thought one of the main attractions of Wii was low development cost, how come that isn't showing up with the price of the games. They should be lower.

games aren't any cheaper to make now vs. the last generation. so i don't see why they'd be cheaper then last gen. but they are cheaper vs. the new gen

TiVo said:
Bill goes into the photo channel. "For the first time ever, photo viewing is not a time-consuming thing." Take SD Card out of your digital camera, insert into the front flap on Wii and "boom -- you're looking at digital photos." The interface is smooth, fast and easy.

Shows iPhoto-like slideshow feature complete with Ken Burns-style zooms and pans.

Shows off a movie-playack mode. You can apparently transfer home-brew movies to your Wii, view them and modify them in real-time.
wii for win if it supports divx

mysticstylez said:
lower than what? why should they be lower than the cost of PS2, Xbox and GameCube games?

they're lower than the cost of Xbox 360 games and likely PS3 games. why would development costs of a Wii game come in less than dev costs on a cube game?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
TheGreatDave said:
ninten06.jpg

How does that power connection compare to Gamecube? Any chance I can just stick my Gamecube supply in it?

LAN adapter via USB?

Oh, will games make it clear what controller config they'll use? i.e if I have to plug the nunchuk in or not to play? If most games will only need the wiimote then it'd be a much cleaner setup than having that nunchuk dangling off it.

Scoobert

Wink said:
Exactly. Wii is built around the party/multiplayer aspect. You have to be ****ing rich to play 4 player Wii Tennis with some friends.

Tell your friends to buy a Wii, and bring their controller over or just tell them to buy there own damn controller. I still haven't bought a 2nd controller for 360, screw everyone else. :lol

F#A#Oo

Banned
chase said:
Nintendo can't ever do something without screwing it up somehow.

Add 1 controller + 1 nunchuck
Pack in Opera (what a privilege to surf the internet with a remote!)
Give us black

As always with Nintendo they give with one hand and and take with the other...:lol

AdmiralViscen said:

That's 100% sure. I don't remember exactly Gamecube's numbers at launch in Japan, but they have been horrible, right ?
Si Wii will sure make better with zelda alongside launch.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
plagiarize said:
it's the door into the statue room in the Arklay Mansion being busted in. First door on the right in the lobby. The room where you find the map to the ground floor.

basically, it appears to be REmake quality visuals running in real time (not impossible to believe given what RE4 looked like) in a game that is rumoured to be an RE4 styled run around (more action less puzzles) of classic environments from the series in full 3d with similar controls to RE4/GS4.

of course, it could just be a prerendered clip and all that other stuff could be wrong, but that's what seems to be trickling in at the moment.

That sounds like strong possibility, and really promising.

The old environments done in realtime to properly explore, and the games remixed into RE4 style action games. RE2 could be remixed VERY nicely.

MMaRsu

Scoobert said:
Tell your friends to buy a Wii, and bring their controller over or just tell them to buy there own damn controller. I still haven't bought a 2nd controller for 360, screw everyone else. :lol

QFT!

Nash said:
That sounds like strong possibility, and really promising.

The old environments done in realtime to properly explore, and the games remixed into RE4 style action games. RE2 could be remixed VERY nicely.
i'm praying to see RE2's enviroments with RE4/REmake/RE0 level graphics.

SuperPac

AdmiralViscen said:

It's a marathon, not a sprint. After PSP came out you could've said "so much for DS and Nintendo handheld domination." It's still anybody's market. Anyone who thinks Nintendo will not sell bucketloads of systems at $250 is high.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Wink said:
Exactly. Wii is built around the party/multiplayer aspect. You have to be ****ing rich to play 4 player Wii Tennis with some friends.

oh.. and what about playing 720p xbox 360 with 5.1 sound, like its meant to be played?

when compared to the other consoles.. the wii is still the cheapest.

Xrenity said:
lol gaf.

Overreacting am total.

X360 price was too high when it was announced.
PS3 price was insanely high when it was announced.
I noticed this too. OMFG $400!!! OMFG $600!!! OMFG $250!!!

Apparently no company can appease GAF.

Vark

daegan said:
No, I'm willing to bet that $20 is about cost for the Wiimote. If it's expensive, Nintendo doesn't build it. We're talking about the company that priced the Game Boy Micro at $99 for christsakes. If the GC was at cost (which I doubt given history) then that still puts more weight behind my point that they don't "need" to gouge on the controllers.

BOHICA time for Wii fun with friends.

what about the MILLIONS of dollars dumped into R&D?

Manufacturing cost isn't the only thing that attributes to the cost of goods.

loosus

Banned
Can someone please ask Nintendo what a.) video formats and b.) image formats the Wii supports for viewing and editing?

Also, will there be any audio mixer/editors?

TiVo said:

Wow! :D

Pellham

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:

Just like how DS (old tech) wasn't gonna be as big as the PSP (new tech) this generation, amirite?

And you'd rather blow $600 on the PS3? Or if you're not getting that at launch either, why even bother bring this up? Everyone knows the Wii will be $200 next year

Yeah I won't speculate on the Wii's success in the US or Europe, but it will definately be another DS-like hit in Japan, especially with all the bad press that $600 is getting.

Top Bottom