• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

MoxManiac

Saoh said:
fix´d :)

really, who cares if MP3 was delayed?? its better. i want Retro to work on final Wii kits, not 2 years on GCN kits and then make the jump. NO. i wont accept that.

I care, it's the only Wii title I wanted from the launch lineup aside from zelda.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Scuse if this has been asked but is there any indication as to how much the Opera Wii browser costs? According to the IGN doc, you have to purchase then download the Opera Wii browser?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
radioheadrule83 said:
I'm very happy with everything so far.

The US conference didn't add much ontop of what we already gathered from the Japan conference (aside from confirmation of the price, MP3 delay ;_;). I'm still really really happy with the GUI being so slick. The "channel" set up is also really a surprising idea coming from Nintendo - and I'm impressed with it. Zelda and a tonne of other games have my interest.

Now for the European conference to see how much this is gonna cost me.

Yeah roll on tomorrow. As long as it comes out this year I'm very happy.

Would like more WiiConnect 24 info though!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Jeez man, not a lot of great news. The console is $250 which is a big mistake when you're trying to be sanely priced system out of the three plus they're launching after the PS3? Way to kill hype for the system when PS3 madness will be in full swing. I guess the Wii Sports pack lessens the blow since I was planning on picking that up anyways but the absurd $40 price for the Wiimotes is a shock, even when you ignore the $20 Nunchuk attachment. The VC prices expected though I hoped for far less. The whole "starting at" price structure means we'll be seeing the games we really want possibly retailing for $15 and up. Screw that, reminds me of Ebay price gougers, I just want a suitably priced game. So that leaves me with only purchasing one other Wii game at launch, which is Zelda, and not being too terribly excited for the system's launch. :|

kpop100 said:
The Japanese Wii + Wiisports as a seperate purchase = the price of the US wii w/Wiisports packed in. Sounds like you are basically buying the game to me.

You also get the Nunchuck attachment. Thats not in the Japanese one is it?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Why is everyone acting like the Wii is the only games console to require that you have multiple controllers for multiplayer games?

I'm asking the same thing...

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Why is everyone acting like the Wii is the only games console to require that you have multiple controllers for multiplayer games?

Because everyone assumed Nintendo would pull a page out of their past and offer two controllers with a pack-in game instead of one controller with a pack-in game (and this is NA only, if I'm not mistaken).

skip

fly high ~ayunite~ said:

because people are stupid and hysterical, pretty much.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I can't stand Capcom for doing this shit. Why must it always be a two second clip.

ZOMFG!! RESIDENT EVIL!!!!! HOLY HELL ITS A................****ing door....

bachikarn

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Yep this is what I foresee in my future.

"Hey this game looks cool can I play?"
"Sure...did you bring your own controller?"
"No"
"I guess you better go buy one then."

Yep definitely sticking with the PS2/360 for the rest of the year.

How is that ANY different than paying $50 for a 360 controller?

ninten30.jpg

ninten45.jpg

ninten24.jpg

wiiscr41.jpg

wiiscr51.jpg

wiiscr23.jpg

wiiscr10.jpg

wiiscr03.jpg

wiiscr02.jpg

http://watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060914/wiiscr.htm
http://watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060914/ninten.htm

daegan

plagiarize said:
maybe wait until you know what sony are going to charge for their controller before you go too far.

We're not talking about Sony here; Sony, like MS, overcharges for their accessories. Not so much in the latter half of PS2 - $25 is fine for a DS2 but $25 is INSANE for an 8mb Memory Card.

(I fully expect the PS3 controller to come in at $49.99, which will still seem a bit overpriced. It does have a built-in rechargeable battery, but it still stings a little bit. If it comes in over that, I'll be surprised, but not shocked given their history of pricing their controllers higher at launch.)

$60 for a complete Wiimotepackage is just completely out of character with Nintendo's history and message. It's messing with my head.

Hero

Because obviously nobody buys an Xbox 360 / Playstation 3 so they can play video games with their friends. They don't have any.

X360 and PS3 are for the social outcasts. Wii rewards those who have friends.

MrDaravon

While I think some of this news is disappointing as far as what people were expecting (and some people were expecting way too damn much), it's still mostly good when you consider it stand alone. $250 with a pack in game is not bad (unless you didn't want Wii Sports). The only thing that's crappy is the controller prices and MP3 getting pushed back. Also huge :lol at Zelda GC. I'm definetely there for launch.

jjasper

fly high ~ayunite~ said:

Because they are packing in a game that is made for multiplayer but only giving you 1 controller, basically forcing you to go out anf buy another one.

loosus

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
Jeez man, not a lot of great news. The console is $250 which is a big mistake when you're trying to be sanely priced system out of the three plus they're launching after the PS3? Way to kill hype for the system when PS3 madness will be in full swing. I guess the Wii Sports pack lessens the blow since I was planning on picking that up anyways but the absurd $40 price for the Wiimotes is a shock, even when you ignore the $20 Nunchuk attachment. The VC prices expected though I hoped for far less. The whole "starting at" price structure means we'll be seeing the games we really want possibly retailing for $15 and up. Screw that, reminds me of Ebay price gougers, I just want a suitably priced game. So that leaves me with only purchasing one other Wii game at launch, which is Zelda, and not being too terribly excited for the system's launch. :|
I have to agree. While the Wii may do well, and while there have been some high points, this has been an overall disaster. I really thought we'd either get no news or good news -- certainly not bad news in ay form. Even for people who weren't expecting a whole lot, this has been a downhill tumble.

I'm just hoping that Nintendo is still holding out, especially on launch titles. I'm hoping there's something big still not revealed for launch, but I'm seriously doubting it at this point.

bachikarn

DarienA said:
Scuse if this has been asked but is there any indication as to how much the Opera Wii browser costs? According to the IGN doc, you have to purchase then download the Opera Wii browser?

They haven't said how much yet, but I could have swore NCL said in another thread that Opera would be free until June 07.

Edit: Seriously, how much did people expect for VC games? A dollar for NES games?

fly high ~ayunite~ said:

I believe it has something to do with the sheer volume of quirky 'party' games coming out for it.

CoryCubed

I don't think having the mote and chuk attachments seperate is a bad idea, especially with all the movement involved, some of us less coordinated may send one across the room and need that piece.

yjs666

pollo said:
No, bitch more. ****ing nintendo deserves it.

**** if I'm buying a Wii at launch. With the gamecube I actually bought it cause it had good games it launched with. (Factor 5, Smash Bros, etc.) Now the promise of a Zelda for the cube is going to deter me from getting the Wii; furthermore the ass backwards cost of old video games, controllers, other peripherals is not doing anything to keep me around. **** you nintendo. Ill stick to buying a ds lite in the near future and wait for an X360 pack-in/price drop.

Way to totally **** over your fan base again. [insert good day sirs animated gif here]

Serious business.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
daegan said:

No, the 360 controller comes from a company who has traditionally overpriced their accessories and is continuing this on the 360; $50 is way too much for that controller. $40 or $35 would be more in-line with what it's really worth, but they price it that high to make back the money they lose on the console.

The Wii controller comes from a company who always profits on hardware and had the most reasonably priced controllers last generation. Nintendo doesn't NEED to gouge on the controllers; $20 for the nunchuck seems much more fair than $40 for Wiimote. Maybe $25 for Wiimote. $30 at the ceiling. $40 is insane. For $40 it should hold your damn game saves; they give away 64MB flash drives for preordering games now, they can damn well afford it.

i thought the GC was sold at cost when released? and i bet you that if nintendo sold the wiimote at $25 they would be losing money.. again. unreasonable expectations.

TheGreatDave said:
What did you expect NES games to sell for? You can't make them dirt cheep - it makes them seem worthless.

Why not make them dirt cheap? People will see 99 cent games and be all "oooooooooooooh" next thing you know they bought 100 games, 99 of them they probably hate but hey 99 cents right? whoo!

On the other hand for $5 you can definitely expect buyers to be more "oh" and just buy the games they know they like(in this case..the 1 game, not the 99 others)

Like the pussy, people are putting Nintendo's backlog on a pedestal.

Pac-man and the rest of the old old old games on XBLA? I'm not giving them a free pass either. I'm more interested in the XBLA exclusive content than a bunch of old arcade games I've played to death anyway. Hopefully the VC exclusives are hope to snuff as I'm really interested what Sega/Nintendo/Hudson/??? have in store for that.

My apologies but afterall we live in an emulation-spoiled world. I've kind of moved past the point where "playing old games" is a big deal.

EDIT: oh yeah going back to the controller issue. It'd be one thing but Nintendo kept advertising a bunch of people getting together for some wii-swinging fun all in the same room. Most if not all of the essential multiplayer PS360 games are playable online anyway.

Beezy

I wonder if Metroid Prime 3 was delayed to add an online multiplayer mode. I can't think of any other reason why it might've been delayed.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think they are treating Opera as separate rather than built into the system to allow it to be updated whenever needed without forcing a whole OS/firmware update.

A free download for a few months would be a nice way of doing it.

Sure I can afford $250, but I don't feel like paying $250 for it. I'll pass Nintendo.

Just wanted to post in another legendary thread.

thefro

You guys have probably noticed, but IGN's list of games announced in Japan has updated from a few hours ago:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732678p1.html

The big add I saw is 2 "Action/Adventure" games from Konami (Castlevania and Kojima's game?) and a RPG

Bunch of other stuff... looks like pretty strong Japanese support from everyone except Capcom.

Wink

jjasper said:
Because they are packing in a game that is made for multiplayer but only giving you 1 controller, basically forcing you to go out anf buy another one.

Exactly. Wii is built around the party/multiplayer aspect. You have to be ****ing rich to play 4 player Wii Tennis with some friends.

Deku

Banned
Price came on the high end of the scale Nintendo themselves gave us so I'm not really sure if this is unexpected, but judging from the reaction it has surprised/disappointed some people.

I had predicted a 2 SKU set-up at E3, with a $199 bare bones model and a $250 model with a free game and extras. So only the $250 sku came true. If someone can dig up those E3 threads It would be great.
Japan has traditionally received console launches with very few extras and Nintendo pricing the Wii at 25,000 en with a slightly different package than the NA package is not unexpected. So using the JP sku as a basis for a complaint was probably premature.

Biggest surprise for me is the Dec launch date in Japan.

Drek

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Because 90% of the games Nintendo has demoed as great uses of the new Wiimote involves multiplayer. How fun will they be flailing about on your own against CPU competition? Not nearly as much fun as if you could play with/against a friend. Enjoying Wii to its full capacity will require 1. friends and 2. extra controllers. Otherwise you got Gamecube 1.2 with an interface that will make you look like a crazy.

Beezy said:
I wonder if Metroid Prime 3 was delayed to add an online multiplayer mode. I can't think of any other reason why it might've been delayed.

make sense as first us online game, considering pokemon is first jp online game

Beezy said:

Graphical & gameplay improvement. I prefer wait for a good game, then have it with a lot of appüroximated things.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Why not make them dirt cheap? People will see 99 cent games and be all "oooooooooooooh" next thing you know they bought 100 games, 99 of them they probably hate but hey 99 cents right? whoo!

On the other hand for $5 you can definitely expect buyers to be more "oh" and just buy the games they know they like(in this case..the 1 game, not the 99 others)

Like the pussy, people are putting Nintendo's backlog on a pedestal.

Pac-man and the rest of the old old old games on XBLA? I'm not giving them a free pass either. I'm more interested in the XBLA exclusive content than a bunch of old arcade games I've played to death anyway. Hopefully the VC exclusives are hope to snuff as I'm really interested what Sega/Nintendo/Hudson/??? have in store for that.

My apologies but afterall we live in an emulation-spoiled world. I've kind of moved past the point where "playing old games" is a big deal.

Hey, no biggie. It's just that you're a thief, and other aren't.

Top Bottom