• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

fresquito said:
250 with a game bundled is not that bad. However, as I expected, the VC prices are a total rape.
Considering the prices of cell phone games or games on XBLA for that matter, people still pay $5+ for freaking Atari games or Tetris or games they own 10 times over.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
TheGreatDave said:
I think we're looking at maybe just under £200 in the UK. I think I'll import, personally.

Roll on tomorrow. I think it might end up a weird price, like £165 because of the Euro getting the nice round price.

I'm waiting to see what the UK price/date is, but if it's not too much later getting clobbered for VAT/import-duty isn't going to make importing worthwhile for once. It will be the first UK console I've bought ever I think!

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Any info on the wireless capabilities of Wii. Will it support WPA/WPA2? I don't want to have to buy an usb-adapter for ethernet.

ant1532

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
feature_main_img_lifestyle_mario.jpg
I cant get connected to
http://wii.nintendo.com/home.html

how did you get it?!!!!

DarthWoo said:
Now I'm curious, what happened at that game?

Giants vs Seahawks went into overtime, 21-21. Giants kicker went for 3 field goals, and all he needed was one. That guy in the gif is Jeremy Shockey(i think) and he thought the field goal was a shoe-in, so he was celebrating, and then the kicker missed the field goal by very little.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nash said:
Roll on tomorrow. I think it might end up a weird price, like £165 because of the Euro getting the nice round price.

I'm waiting to see what the UK price/date is, but if it's not too much later getting clobbered for VAT/import-duty isn't going to make importing worthwhile for once. It will be the first UK console I've bought ever I think!

$250
€250
£179

SyNapSe

I'm surprised it doesn't have a second wiimote/chuck or at least a classic controller thrown in for $250. It seems like this is going to be accessory rape over time. A year from now they are going to release a light gun that hooks on for $30.

I think the VC prices sound fine at $5 and $10 bucks. It would be nice if there were some cheaper options but I'd imagine the work and bandwidth required to host these makes that not really possible.

I think they would have been wise to have a bare bones $199 model, but maybe they are looking to soak up some extra profits through the Xmas season in NA by bundling in the wii sports game.

fresquito

Benadryl Hitman said:
Considering the prices of cell phone games or games on XBLA for that matter, people still pay $5+ for freaking Atari games or Tetris or games they own 10 times over.
It's not like they have to get back the developement costs, you know. It's just emulation. They have already made mountains of money from those games. 5$ (Euros in my case) for a NES game is a total rape, no matter how you look at it.

Jim

TiVo said:
QUOTE FROM IGN REGGIE TALKING
Shows off a movie-playack mode. You can apparently transfer home-brew movies to your Wii, view them and modify them in real-time.

Errr.. no movie/video editing. You can make slideshows and such using still photos.
From the official Wii description Nintendo just sent over:

Wii Channel Fact Sheet said:
Photo Channel: This channel allows users to take digital pictures stored on an SD memory card and display them on their television screens. Users also can manipulate the photos in a variety of fun and creative ways, such as zooming or creating mosaics, puzzles or slide shows. They can draw, add stamps, and copy and paste. They also can change the “mood” of photos by brightening them, converting them to monochrome, inverting the color or changing them to stark black and white. Users can even add an MP3 tune to their slide shows. It provides a fun and easy outlet for people to edit their digital pictures. Users also can send their pictures to other Wii consoles by attaching a photo to the Wii Message Board.

SuperPac

Logan Cano said:
LOL, Nintendo loves to rape its consumers, but even I didn´t see this coming. $250 for a Wii?? $60 for a full controller?? :lol

Erm, so what? It's $50 for a wireless 360 controller. If you want to see accessories rape, take a look at Microsoft, or take a look at what Sony will undoubtedly charge for a PS3 wireless tilt controller.

Juice

http://www.irwebcasting.com/060914/01/

Did everyone actually watch Iwata's keynote? I'm just now watching it and his explanations make more sense than my assumptions (at least with regard to the Japanese market). His demo of the built in channels was definitely impressive. Particularly the global weather channel, that'll be popular in Japan. Plus his explanation that the photo viewer might be most useful for bringing an SD card to grandma and grandpa's house to show them pictures. His case for Opera "now the entire family can explore the map together around the TV, as only one set of eyes can use Google Maps at a time on a computer"

fresquito said:
It's not like they have to get back the developement costs, you know. It's just emulation. They have already made mountains of money from those games. 5$ (Euros in my case) for a NES game is a total rape, no matter how you look at it.
What about Sega or Capcom's compilations like Sonic or MegaMan. Is selling them for $20-$40 rape also?

Matt

Jim said:
Errr.. no movie/video editing. You can make slideshows and such using still photos.
Yeah…except that we have SEEN WITH OUR OWN EYES a home movie being played on Wii.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Why is everyone acting like the Wii is the only games console to require that you have multiple controllers for multiplayer games?

Because nintendo is already skimping out on specs, least they can do is throw us a bone on controller prices.

Jim said:

There was some video in one of the videos on the Japanese Wii site though.

xabre

Banned
Prospective buyers will see it for its unique interface not its graphics, so a $50 difference with the 360 will ultimately mean squat.

The hardcore will adopt early, the price will drop, game library will expand and the machine will erupt among the casual/mainstream market...just like with the DS...just like always.

The PS3 is priced out of the market for the conceivable future, mainstream adoption of that console is a long, long ways off. The 360 is deceased in Japan and a mess in Europe. Wii is priced slightly high, but quit the exaggerations, it is in the best position of the three IMO.

See, logical analysis done in one simple post.

Does anyone else think that third-party list through 3/31/07 is pretty unimpressive, SSX is nice sure, not a lot that really pops out at me.

Pellham

Banned
fresquito said:

Yes but its the kind of rape that most fans would gladly bend over for. I mean if you never cared about NES games, yeah I can see why you would avoid, just like how I avoid $5 cellphone games cause I don't give a shit about them. But for us nostalgia-waxers, it sounds like a good idea.

Even at $5 a pop I am still going to try put together a complete VC library (of games by Nintendo that is, don't care about 3rd party stuff unless its like Enix or something). I am crazy/stupid, I admit.

Sunski

Just FYI we have 3 confirmed Online Wii Titles -

Pokemon Battle Revolution (Dec JPN, 2007 Rest of the world)

Battalion Wars II (2007)

Mario Strikers Charged (2007)

Mrbob said:
So have we figured out if a component cable or composite cable is in the box?
no. reggie said it comes with all the necessary cables, but it's debatable if component is necessary. probably not, but no confirmation yet.

there's still a chance.

fresquito

Benadryl Hitman said:
What about Sega or Capcom's compilations like Sonic or MegaMan. Is selling them for $20-$40 rape also?
I can understand those, since there's physical production, handling, transporting, and all that stuff. This digital downloads. 8 digital NES games will cost you 40$. Megaman compilation, if you were to download it would cost you more than buying the damn disc, with all the stuff.

Top Bottom