• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

I planed to get the wii with both zeldas on Nov 19 but now I will get them on Dec 11 :(

I wanted to play the game with normal controls first! damn nintendo :(

DAMN!

SuperPac

Stoney Mason said:
And while I agree that Zelda will be a better game than say Gears of War, the casual consumer who goes into best buy and sees Gears of War on an HD monitor and then sees Zelda on a standard TV will notice a difference I think graphically.

Zelda won't be playing on an HD monitor? How do you figure? It's 480p, 16:9, and looks pretty rad. BTW I don't think the general consumer notices things like that per se. It either looks good or it doesn't. I think these Wii threads proves that people are mixed on what does/doesn't look "good." The general consumer doesn't know the difference between 480p, 720p, 1080p, etc.

Ultimately none of this will be the deciding factor but I think Nintendo had a chance to pull an early knockout and pulled the punch. They still might get the knockout in later rounds but it could have maybe been a one round early Mike Tyson deal with a few different decisions here.

So they played it conservatively. Good that they're not putting all their eggs in one basket only to have them get crushed.

Oddly on a personal note for some reason I've accepted everything except the late lunch date. For some reason that still bugs me. Why do I have to wait until after PS3? Grrrr..... Still buying a system day one.

I'm not buying a PS3, so all that's ahead of me is Wii launch day. Woo!

Taker666

Xristot said:
On the wired blog though, it said that your VC purchases will be tied to your ID and you can redownload them at any time. If thats the case, you can basically just delete games off of the flash and then redownload whenever you want to play. Seriously, how long is going to take to download an snes or n64 game?

I'll just store the N64 games then. SNES and NES games will take seconds to redownload.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
SuperPac said:
Zelda won't be playing on an HD monitor? How do you figure? It's 480p, 16:9, and looks pretty rad. BTW I don't think the general consumer notices things like that per se. It either looks good or it doesn't. I think these Wii threads proves that people are mixed on what does/doesn't look "good." The general consumer doesn't know the difference between 480p, 720p, 1080p, etc.

If anything, for the casual consumer, which will look more appealing at a demo station: One where you can swing a remote control as a bat or a racket, or another controller shooting aliens. Think about it.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
platypotamus said:
Probably an anti-piracy measure so you don't download, take card to a friend's Wii, and distribute your purchases.

they can just lock the game to the persons account on the wii itself..

it wouldnt make sense to do this.

quadriplegicjon said:

True, and apparently the SD Card restriction was misinformation anyway, so I lost at this sub-thread.

quadriplegicjon said:

To clarify again, in that quote Kaplan says you can store on "flash memory", which would include SD cards and internal storage. She's only saying their probably won't be any USB hard drive support for now.

jarosh

mp3 expert mode videos: they didn't really change the controls. just more sensitive. well. meh.

the 3rd person cutscene is pretty ****in neat though.

jarosh said:
mp3 expert mode videos: they didn't really change the controls. just more sensitive. well. meh.

the 3rd person cutscene is pretty ****in neat though.
hate to say i told you so buddy.

still people are responding well to these controls so have hope! you might like them.

Booser

Jesus where do I start?

The interface looks sweet as hell, although for me thats cancelled out by lack of DVD. Dammit Nintendo why do you do such retarded shit like that? At least they could have had an attachment as an option if you wanted it. I believe that was the original plan.

A bit disappointed that nothing stunningly new was shown games wise but new media of what we saw already has impressed me. I still have no interest in Mario Galaxy. I never have liked the 3d Mario games, but Zelda and Metroid have floored me. Zelda especially. I'm still looking forward to Red Steel and Retro's "nailing" of FPS movement has encouraged me further. I'm also looking forward to Wii Sports a bit more then I should, especially now there is boxing and Bowling! The price doesnt really bother me. $250 equates to roughly €250. I hope WS is packed in here too.

I simply cant wait to get my hands on Excite Truck. I always get a hard on for Nintendos racers.

Last but not least Resident Evil : UC has the potential to be the best thing in the history of previous best things. using the RE4 control and perspective to play through RE, 2,3 and 4?! Its a wet dream come true!!!!!!!!! Straight to the top of my most wanted list. Cant wait for TGS.

Also interesting that Konami have 2 unannounced Wii action games. Kojima and Castlevania?

SuperPac said:

Your right about the Wii being on a Widescreen HD monitor in a best buy...I do think they will see a difference graphically.....but it is about the fun....We'll see. My logical brain is on the fence as to how this will all be perceived by the casual consumer....I can see people following both paths...

thefro

Stoney Mason said:
Your right about the Wii being on a Widescreen HD monitor in a best buy...I do think they will see a difference graphically.....but it is about the fun....We'll see. My logical brain is on the fence as to how this will all be perceived by the casual consumer....I can see people following both paths...

We know Wii is going to crush it among the casual consumers (who don't play games or play them rarely), the question is where the "Casualcore" gamers go between 360, PS3, and Wii.

one thing i want to know...

these interface shots are set up for a widescreen monitor (the disc for example is perfectly round). is there one set up for 4:3 and seperately, if i put in a game that only runs in 4:3 will the wii autoswitch it so i'm playing it at the right aspect ration on my widescreen set or will i have to manually do it?

it's not a big deal for me because i foresaw such events, but i know some sets won't let you set aspect ratio of a 480p signal.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Who woulda thought that chinese mag would have nailed RE?

Where was that information that was just posted here found, btw?

Cause... the game sounds kinda good, if not disconnected

Screenboy said:
Iwata's gunna drop a dump on europe if wii's delayed :(

Some European company might as well design a console to launch in 5 years for the next console generation otherwise Europe is going to be the redheaded step child of console launches FOREVER. :lol

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I got stuck in a meeting all morning and just got back from lunch... I got a lot of catching up to do. Heard about MP3 though... thank you Jesus!

jarosh said:
did you? i don't remember
like all those quotes you posted were replying to me :)

and before the video went up, in this thread i said 'hold up there, from this hands on preview it sounds like the cross hair isn't locked off but just that the sensitivity and such have been adjusted'.

I think Retro asked for more time to improve textures, MP3 seems to be more epic then the last to games, more cutscenes, voice work.

Where's COD3 Wii?
Project H.A.M.M.E.R?

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
OG_Original Gamer said:
I think Retro asked for more time to improve textures, MP3 seems to be more epic then the last to games, more cutscenes, voice work.
I just hope it's not another MP2. I'm weary that phazon still plays a pretty big part of the plot :(

jacktion

Banned
plagiarize said:
and before the video went up, in this thread i said 'hold up there, from this hands on preview it sounds like the cross hair isn't locked off but just that the sensitivity and such have been adjusted'.

You can't have a completely locked cross hair with the wii-mote. How would you look behind yourself? Or turn a 360?
The way that they did it is the only feasible way. I could stand for it to be even tighter though. I want it to be really twitchy so it requires some skill but you have quicker reactions.

jacktion said:
You can't have a completely locked cross hair with the wii-mote. How would you look behind yourself? Or turn a 360?
The way that they did it is the only feasible way. I could stand for it to be even tighter though. I want it to be really twitchy so it requires some skill but you have quicker reactions.
well that's what i say... but people like jarosh want a 'pick up mouse' button essentially. the argument is, you could take out the 'lock on button' in games that had it.

Shiggy

09140001.jpg

Peru

OG_Original Gamer said:

Where's COD3 Wii?
Project H.A.M.M.E.R?
We saw HAMMER in the flash video.

Top Bottom