• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

thefro said:
Why price it at $250 when they're going to sell out of their launch shipments anyway?

They can always knock out Wii Sports and make it $179 or $199 dollars for Q2 2007
i guess you meant 'why not price it at $250'.

cleveridea said:
Nintendo says Wii to be profitable right away

NEW YORK, Sept 14 (Reuters) - Nintendo Co. Ltd.'s (7974.OS: Quote, NEWS, Research) new Wii game console and related software will be profitable to the company once sales begin in the United States in November, the president of Nintendo of America said on Thursday.

"We will make a profit on the entire Wii proposition out of the box -- hardware and software," Reggie Fils-Aime told Reuters in an interview.

"That really is a very different philosophy versus our competitors. We are a company that competes only in the interactive entertainment space so we have to make a profit on every thing we do."

At $250, the Wii console will face stiff competition against Microsoft Corp.'s (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) already-available Xbox 360 and Sony Corp.'s (6758.T: Quote, NEWS, Research) PlayStation 3, which will debut on Nov. 17 in North America at two price levels, $499 and $599.

marioandluigi.png

Wii will be rich!

Peru

I agree with a lot of your criticism, Amirox. I feel great about Wii Sports being packed in, but the extra controller needed is missing. I can't agree with you on MP3 though, if you insist on that being some sort of concious decision by Nintendo. They got some attention on E3 for not polishing controls enough, things being too similar to the GC version. They said there and then they'd work on erasing complaints, but obviously they want it perfect - and it's taking more time than a launch-release could afford.

Now let's analyse the factors in play. We've got Metroid Prime, a fulfilling perfection on their vision at the time. Metroid Prime 2 was "Metroid Prime: more levels", and didn't feel necessary. Now I think none of us want "just" another MP2. We want a game which takes all the features of the Prime series to the next level. From the short clips we've seen today it's already clear that they're expanding their scope, showing off stylistic choices and settings not seen in the series before. In addition a more sensitive ,responsive control method has been revealed. They're improving the MP3 we know in every regard, and if there's one thing I lack it's impatience for 'more of dat' same Prime formula". Let's get another game that makes the same impact that MP1 did. For nintendo a delay equals more polish, expanded magnitude.

"We will make a profit on the entire Wii proposition out of the box -- hardware and software," Reggie Fils-Aime told Reuters in an interview.

Thing is, with the huge margins on accessories (not to mention VC titles), plus game royalties, they could easily sell this system for less and still make good money on every single customer...and snag more marketshare.

I already have friends who are doing the math and deciding to put the money towards a future PS3. Wii may be 'new gen' but their pricing is too close to Next Gen.

AWESOME, NEED TO BE QUOTED AGAIN
Biohazard Wii indepth
Extensive information on the gameplay and content of RE:Wii has surfaced.

-The game consists of 4 "chapters", RE1's mansion, RE2's RPD, RE3's city areas and RE4's village (plus surrounding areas).
-Each chapter has 2 characters to choose from. RE1 has Jill and Chris, RE2 has Leon and Claire, RE3 has Jill and Carlos and RE4 has Leon and Ada.
-There are several characters that can be unlocked by playing through the game: Rebecca Chambers, Hunk and Albert Wesker.
-The gameplay of all chapters is designed around RE4's. Press the B trigger on the wiimote to go into over-the-shoulder view, aim with the pointer and press A to fire.
-The game will have QTEs, but rather than push buttons you have to make motions with the wiimote in order to get through them.
-All characters will have mêlée attacks, just like RE4.
-To encourage replayablility, each character has strengths and weaknesses, similar to how in RE4:Mercenaries Ada had the least health, Krauser was the slowest, etc.
-Just like in RE4:Mercenaries each character has a unique set of weapons. What's more players can only carry 2 weapons at any one time. Chris gets a pistol and shotgun whilst Jill gets a pistol and grenade launcher.
-You will be able to find several new weapons during each stage. For example, RE1 will have Richard's shotgun, RE2 will have the Desert Eagle, RE4 will have the Chicago Typewriter. There will also be new weapons like Krauser's anti-personnel robots.
-Similar to Devil May Cry 3, after each chapter you can save your data and any new weapons picked up will be available for use in Arcade Mode.
-Arcade Mode is like a giant Mercenaries minigame, where you pick a character and stage and blast through it. Building on the resounding success of Mercenaries seen when RE4 was released.
-Scenario mode will feature a large number of ingame cutscenes.
-New content not in the games that the chapters were based on will be added. The primary goal of this will be to link RE4 and Umbrella's status in it more closely with the rest of the series.
-Ammo conservation will play a part in the gameplay, so it's not just constant action like RE4.
-Trailer coming at TGS.

there you go.

Ranger X

Nintendo should dare ALOT more. They have a killer in their hands and they could have riot the market. Now they will "impress" but no revolution for sure.
199$ was key imo.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Flo_Evans said:
lol dont get so excited! last night there was speculation that it wouldn't, I was in some meetings and wasn't sure. It looked cool in the demo reel. I hope they can capture some of the mike tysons punch out magic again! Is it 2 player?
The topic was so worked over (with no reason to suspect that it wouldn't be included) last night I couldn't resist :lol

But yes, gamespot live feed showed split-screen multiplayer.

donny2112

Reggie said:
"We will make a profit on the entire Wii proposition out of the box -- hardware and software,"

They'd better at that buzz-killing $250 price.

On another good note, that confirms what version of Zelda I'll be getting. :D

Amir0x

Banned
cleveridea said:

Ya don't ****ing say, Nintendo.

"Yay, I hope Nintendo makes WII STOCKS so I can masturbate myself furiously to the wild world of your value going up to simulate what it must be like to actually be one of the game-haters who celebrate Brain Training software doing good in Japan."

helium121

Banned
Not sure if this was mentioned or not (thread is too long to read) but this might be a good option for a second wii remote

The event also confirmed that Nintendo would put out a separate collection of mini-games, titled Hajimete no Wii ("Starting Out With Wii"). The game compilation includes a packed-in Wii Remote (for two-player action) and features nine different minigames, such as the Duck Hunt-like demo and ping pong games shown previously. Hajimete no Wii will ship at the same time as the console on December 2 and sell for 4,800 yen.

Hopefully it comes to the states too.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732678p1.html

Amir0x said:
Ya don't ****ing say, Nintendo.

"Yay, I hope Nintendo makes WII STOCKS so I can masturbate myself furiously to the wild world of your value going up to simulate what it must be like to actually be one of the game-haters who celebrate Brain Training software doing good in Japan."
just think Amir0x... it'll be spring again soon.

obviously if people think it's good that a game is selling to a new audience they hate games?

i guess the pent up crazy over the cube version of zelda is starting to seep out. stand back everyone... he's going to blow!

Bah.

Apparently I completely misunderstood Nintendo. I thought they were going to sell the Wii at a slight loss. But they didn't say that, they said the Wii would be profitable in the first year and that there definately wouldn't be heavy losses.

Goddamnit. I still want the system at launch.

Nintendo has me craving for their Wii. :(

ant1532

Banned
helium121 said:
Not sure if this was mentioned or not (thread is too long to read) but this might be a good option for a second wii remote

The event also confirmed that Nintendo would put out a separate collection of mini-games, titled Hajimete no Wii ("Starting Out With Wii"). The game compilation includes a packed-in Wii Remote (for two-player action) and features nine different minigames, such as the Duck Hunt-like demo and ping pong games shown previously. Hajimete no Wii will ship at the same time as the console on December 2 and sell for 4,800 yen.

That game looks pretty fun

Mrbob

cleveridea said:
Nintendo says Wii to be profitable right away

NEW YORK, Sept 14 (Reuters) - Nintendo Co. Ltd.'s (7974.OS: Quote, NEWS, Research) new Wii game console and related software will be profitable to the company once sales begin in the United States in November, the president of Nintendo of America said on Thursday.

"That really is a very different philosophy versus our competitors. We are a company that competes only in the interactive entertainment space so we have to make a profit on every thing we do."

At $250, the Wii console will face stiff competition against Microsoft Corp.'s (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) already-available Xbox 360 and Sony Corp.'s (6758.T: Quote, NEWS, Research) PlayStation 3, which will debut on Nov. 17 in North America at two price levels, $499 and $599.

Huahuahuauahuahuahuahuahuah!

Nintendo laughing all the way to the bank. But is this..pricing damage control already?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
plagiarize said:
just think Amir0x... it'll be spring again soon.

obviously if people think it's good that a game is selling to a new audience they hate games?

i guess the pent up crazy over the cube version of zelda is starting to seep out. stand back everyone... he's going to blow!

Well that and the the others are giving him a hard time about his opinions as perusual.

Xristot

helium121 said:

if it doesn't, since the system is region free you could import and still benefit from the free controller.

Chemo

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Wii may be 'new gen' but their pricing is too close to Next Gen.
Too close? You are insane. The system is leagues cheaper than either of the competitors and the games are cheaper, too. If you and your friends are judging amount of money invested versus what you get spec-wise then you're buying things for the wrong reasons. As a new system with tons of upcoming games that look great, it's easily worth $250. It really just doesn't make sense to whine about the hardware when they've obviously put a lot of money and effort into the controller's tech -- they aren't RIPPING YOU OFF. They're just making sure they make a profit.

It's a damn business, man.

Link316

Banned

in other words their competitors look out for gamers first instead of profits ;)

Jiggy

It's been an amazing two days, in the sense that everything that came from Nintendo was either one of the best or worst things they've ever done.

Best:
-Wii interface owns
-AVATAR CREATION owns--nay, pwns--nay, qwns; the day I get a Wii I might make 20+ of those things just because I can.
-Photo storage and interface owns
-Virtual Console game availability
-Virtual Console downloads permanent
-10 games per month
-Point system
-Beautiful box art
-Classic controller price
-Size of Hyrule Field is incredible
-Metroid Prime 3 controls

Worst:
-$250
-$250 without two controllers
-$250 in the US, where they might lose, as opposed to $212 in Japan, where they've got it in the bag. I know, Wii Sports, but still.
-Delayed Metroid Prime 3
-Delayed Gamecube Zelda
-November 19th--as in, after PS3.
-$60?! For a controller?!
-$250. This is supposed to be a system for casuals, yet even I won't bite at that price, and I've bought every Nintendo console--home or portable--on launch day since the SNES when I was 7.
-Don't know if this is just the resolution the photos are taken at, but I see more jagged edges in Mario Galaxy than in the bulk of Gamecube games, which drives me insane; I may not sell myself for graphics, but I certainly do for anti-aliasing. :( I can honestly say the Mario Galaxy screenshots do pretty much nothing for me because the lack of AA bugs me that much. On the other hand, maybe it'll pull a "Mario Sunshine" where it looks bad in screenshots but in motion it's crazy fantastic. For stills, though, Zelda looks better.

On the bright side, because Wii is $250, it makes it that much easier to hold off for a price drop, and by the time that price drop comes around, all the games I'm vaguely interested in but wouldn't pay $50 for--Super Swing Golf Pangya, Excite Truck, DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 2--will have gone down as well.
Still, this is honestly ridiculous.
Not $599 ridiculous, at least.
Only thing that could suck me in at this point is if 1) Super Smash Bros. Brawl hits earlier than Christmas 2007, or 2) by, say, summer 2007, they start offering Wii without Wii Sports for $200.

Slurpy said:
What greedy bastards. Is profit right out of the gate really more important than marketshare right now, expecially considering the ridiculous cash DS is making them? Don't tell me theyre already overconfident.

There's a quote frmo Iwata earlier in this thread for the Japanese conference where he says that the success of the DS doesn't assure success for the Wii. So I really doubt they're overconfident about this.

Duderz

Banned
Nameless said:
I guess this kills the notion that Nintendo is the only company that is actually "about the gamers". :lol

And who exactly said that?

Newsflash: Nintendo is here to make MONEY.

Rocked

Amir0x said:
what it must be like to actually be one of the game-haters who celebrate Brain Training software doing good in Japan."

Get this - some of us are capable of enjoying games like Brain Training and so-called 'hardcore' games. And people wouldn't suddenly buy more copies of games like Ultimate Ghouls and Ghosts if Brain Training and Nintendogs didn't sell well. :lol

I can't believe Americans are complaining over a console that costs £170 with a game anyway. It must suck to be so poor. :(

Tarjeta Prepagada said:
So thats why Nintendo sucked all the hype and excitment out of the Wii launch

To make an extra buck or two...
What is surprising is Nintendo's decision to launch with a bundle, not the price itself. The majority expected $199. Add Wii Sports's price ($20-30 tops) and you get $230. So the ripoff is about $20/30 per unit.

Rocked

Nameless said:
I guess this kills the notion that Nintendo is the only company that is actually "about the gamers". :lol

Nobody thinks that and his comment "We are a company that competes only in the interactive entertainment space so we have to make a profit on every thing we do" is a valid one. Sony and Microsoft can afford losses, because they can make up for it in other areas.

mrwilt

Operations said:
What is surprising is Nintendo's decision to launch with a bundle, not the price itself. The majority expected $199. Add Wii Sports's price ($20-30 tops) and you get $230. So the ripoff is about $20/30 per unit.

Pack in a second controller and everything will be right.

Nameless said:
As I suspected. Even when getting shafted hard, its nearly impossible to put a damper on a Nintendo fan's spirit.

All 3 companies are "shafting" us. But Nintendo has the smallest shaft (hence, Wii). :D

helium121

Banned
I think the most upsetting thing about any of the news released is the launch date. People were willing to spend $230 for the system a couple of weeks ago. $20 extra is not a big deal. Launching so late is what's dissapointing to me. I want to waggle my wand in Oct, not Nov.

Yeah **** it definitely waiting through 2007.

$250 whatever whatever I could have seriously done without having Wiisports forced on me. I'll just wait for a new bundle or something. I can deal with the extra controllers because I'm a big ebay nut and can usually find better deals on accessories through that. However being forced to buy a game I don't want is ridiculous.(Okay I guess I'd play it for the boxing and tennis but everything else haha no)

I already trashed the Gamecube after getting sick of waiting for Twilight Princess. Funny thing is all this hopping and skipping through hoops for Nintendo has actually made me less of a Zelda fan. I'm starting to wonder if it was worth all the trouble now.

Eh well I'll have more fun with DoA X2 anyway. :D

I'll be very, very pissed if they announced a 2007 date for Europe tomorrow after they have assured the 2006 date for about a dozen times :/

donny2112

Jiggy37 said:
It's been an amazing two days, in the sense that everything that came from Nintendo was either one of the best or worst things they've ever done.

Best:
-Wii interface owns
-AVATAR CREATION owns--nay, pwns--nay, qwns; the day I get a Wii I might make 20+ of those things just because I can.
-Photo storage and interface owns
-Virtual Console game availability
-Virtual Console downloads permanent
-10 games per month
-Point system
-Beautiful box art
-Classic controller price
-Size of Hyrule Field is incredible
-Metroid Prime 3 controls

Worst:
-$250
-$250 without two controllers
-$250 in the US, where they might lose, as opposed to $212 in Japan, where they've got it in the bag. I know, Wii Sports, but still.
-Delayed Metroid Prime 3
-Delayed Gamecube Zelda
-November 19th--as in, after PS3.
-$60?! For a controller?!
-$250. This is supposed to be a system for casuals, yet even I won't bite at that price, and I've bought every Nintendo console--home or portable--on launch day

On the bright side, because Wii is $250, it makes it that much easier to hold off for a price drop, and by the time that price drop comes around, all the games I'm vaguely interested in but wouldn't pay $50 for ... will have gone down as well.
Still, this is honestly ridiculous.

Get out of my head! :p
Fixed slightly for my take. ;)

I also could see myself spending considerable time just messing with the weather/world model. :)

SantaC

old? You can choose hand for link

TSA said:
According to Golin/Harris, and according to the guy I get all my Zelda info from, Twilight Princess for Wii will ask you for your "style" of control when you start up a file. You can choose Lefty or Righty. On the GCN version, slated for release later this year, Link will only be a Lefty.

Anyone with half an eye and decent Zelda knowledge would see the "Righty" Link model is a mirrored model of the Lefty - everyone on Link is "flipped".

So, while you're still there, speak to an NOA rep and get this confirmed yourself since you don't believe me. Sure, it's okay initially to go "he's a righty!" like most of us did. But most of us within a few minutes realized what was up, and calmed the heck down. You should ammend the article to include the most accurate info.

Amir0x said:

Alas, Konami has beaten Nintendo to the Stock Market Training prize. :)

splatty

Frankfurter said:
I'll be very, very pissed if they announced a 2007 date for Europe tomorrow after they have assured the 2006 date for about a dozen times :/

Yeah, but I don't see the reason; Nintendo hasn't any sort of production's problem. They will bring on the market 4 millions of Wiis and Japan and USA without Europe is not enough to sell all these consoels before end of 2006.
Then this is the perfect time because the PS3 will be in PAL regions only in March 2007.

Well, I don't see a single reason to delay the Wii in Europe. Do you see it ?

Jiggy

donny2112 said:
Get out of my head! :p
Fixed slightly for my take. ;)
Actually, I will admit that I forgot I didn't buy a DS at launch--waited until June 2005 and the Meteos/Kirby combo plus the Mario 64 bundle with the reduced price, then it was all uphill with Advance Wars shortly after, and the crazy 2005 holidays.

For Nintendo's sake, I hope Wii pulls off a similar pattern with some great stuff showing up in summer 2007, and a better system bundle and price.

Top Bottom