• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

suaveric

I just wish they had left Wii Sports out of the package and let it sell for $200. Nintendo decided to force their own bundle on us before the retailers even got their chance. The US is getting no discount on the price of the game at all for having it included, so what's the point? (other than more cash for Nintendo, of course)

Yes! A guy at bergsala, which are the distrubator here in sweden says that the Wii will be released late november or early december. He said that the date would be released tomorrow but that much he could say.

Just worrying over the march 2007 rumours going around :)

Link here but it is in swedish.

here

:Motorbass said:
wii.gif

Gay Orgasmic?

Aurora

Wink said:
Taken they are really shipping 4 million consoles this year... Does Anyone think they will sell 4m Wii's in essentially one month?
I'd say it's more than likely. The only exception is if Wii launches in 2007 in Europe (which it won't).

Mrbob

suaveric said:
I just wish they had left Wii Sports out of the package and let it sell for $200. Nintendo decided to force their own bundle on us before the retailers even got their chance. The US is getting no discount on the price of the game at all for having it included, so what's the point? (other than more cash for Nintendo, of course)

Agreed.

System should have been $219. Wii Sports $30. Everyone is happy then so those who wanted the game could still get the package for $249.

As business, it makes sense to bundle a game with the system. One that actively uses the wiimote since Nintendo wants to get people to understand NEW GEN WOOOOOOOOO.

jjasper

I haven't seen this posted yet, might have missed it but here it goes

http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6637970.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

In addition to the console--available only in white--and Wii Sports (a compilation of sports games that includes tennis, golf, bowling, baseball and boxing), the Wii will have power and a/v cables, one Wii Remote, one Nunchuk controller, and one remote sensor. Extra Wii Remotes will sell for $40 and Nunchuk controllers will sell for $20, making a replication of the in-box control setup a hefty $60. The classic controller--a more conventional gamepad designed to better control the large library of retro titles available for the system--will be sold separately for $20. When we asked Nintendo about the a/v hookup, we were told that the system would include an all-in-one composite-component cable much like the one included with the premium Xbox 360. We did not get to see said cables, so take that one with a grain of salt. We did get a good look at the console's ports and slots after the conference, and we spied an SD memory card slot in front to complement 512 MB of internal memory, as well as four GameCube controller and memory card slots on the top of the Wii. The rear panel housed inputs for the power cord, a/v cables, and the motion sensor along with a pair of USB ports.

Mrbob said:
System should have been $219. Wii Sports $30. Everyone is happy then so those who wanted the game could still get the package for $249..
People here would be bitching if it was $200 or $219 regardless.

When we asked Nintendo about the a/v hookup, we were told that the system would include an all-in-one composite-component cable much like the one included with the premium Xbox 360. We did not get to see said cables, so take that one with a grain of salt.
If true, nice, that's a money saver.

Mrbob

All in one composite/component cable? Good!

Benadryl Hitman said:

Of course someone will always complain, but the complaint wouldn't have much to stand on. NoA is basically charging everyone extra money to have Wiisports included in the package. In Japan the Wii is going for about $215 with Wiisports sold seperately. So there is the big difference.

Jiggy

jetsetmario said:
So, I really don't get all the shit Nintendo's getting for the $250 price tag.

The difference between $200 and $250 is not going to make a difference at retail. The fact remains that when "casuals" go shopping this Christmas they are going to see the Wii at $250 with what looks like 5 games included in the box(tennis, basball, golf, bowling, boxing), as opposed to the 360 and PS3 at much higher prices without games packed-in. Than there is the fact that the Wii only comes in one configuration, making the whole thing less scary and threatening to "casuals" who are not used to various configurations in tech sort of things. They want to know that ecerything they need is in the box, and with the Wii they get that. Plug and play, you know.

The Wii will sell out everywhere.

At 4 million systems the difference between $200 and $250 is $200,000,000 for Nintendo.
Any healthy company would have made a similar decision.
In the short-term, sure, but they're not trying to sell to just "casuals"--they're explicitly trying to sell to non-gamers who will, in the long run, be worth a great deal more than $200,000,000 by virtue of being new sources of revenue, and they're the ones who might be put off by the $250 tag.

Xdrive05

So is there any chance that there's more to be revealed?

I'm hoping for a new Zelda trailer, or at least a better quality version of that short Master Sword video clip (and with sound, of course).

Bloodwake

It's more expensive than I thought, and it is releasing later than I thought.

That being said, it's still going to outsale PS3 this holiday season.

Burnst

Father_Brain said:
Gamespot says that the following games are confirmed launch titles:

Zelda: TP
Excite Truck
Wii Sports
Call of Duty 3
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Rapala Tournament Fishing
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
World Series of Poker
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Madden NFL 07
Need for Speed: Carbon
Elebits
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
Far Cry: Vengeance
GT Pro Series
Monster 4x4: World Circuit
Open Season
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Red Steel
Splinter Cell: DA
Hm, some of these titles tried really hard not to get any info out....

If the Wii really does include an all-in-one composite/component AV cable, that $250 mark is much easier for me to swallow. Either way, I will have my Wii and a copy of Zelda on day one.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
PuppetSlave said:
Yes! A guy at bergsala, which are the distrubator here in sweden says that the Wii will be released late november or early december. He said that the date would be released tomorrow but that much he could say.

Just worrying over the march 2007 rumours going around :)

Link here but it is in swedish.

here

That guy also said that Zelda is included with the console in USA but he doesn't know if it will be in Europe. :lol

Mrbob

Bloodwake said:
It's more expensive than I thought, and it is releasing later than I thought.

That being said, it's still going to outsale PS3 this holiday season.

It better considering Nintendo is shipping twice as many systems.

Flo_Evans

I am a little suprised that nintendo didn't go for the jugular and price it at $199. I would probably not buy wii sports if it was sold seperate, but really you always buy games you normaly wouldn't at launch.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
$250 is a little higher than I'd hoped, but I'm okay with that.

System + Zelda & Trauma Center & maybe Excite Truck or Elebits at launch for me for great justice.

When it comes down to it I was happy with everything that went down today with the exception of the release date. If any mis-step was taken today it was that.

SuperPac

Flo_Evans said:
I am a little suprised that nintendo didn't go for the jugular and price it at $199. I would probably not buy wii sports if it was sold seperate, but really you always buy games you normaly wouldn't at launch.

They have plenty of time to go for the jugular though. In fact it may be better to go for the jugular next summer or next holiday season.

Jiggy

Benadryl Hitman said:
Don't know about others, but I wouldn't. I'd be there day one and I'd probably spend the $50 that would have gone to a WiiSports pack-in that I don't want exclusively on Virtual Console stuff. More importantly, I'd have fun creating 50+ characters.

Not like I'm particularly angry or anything anyway, though; not getting a Wii right off the bat is no harm to me since the DS September-December lineup owns it in every conceivable way.

Mrbob said:
Of course someone will always complain, but the complaint wouldn't have much to stand on. NoA is basically charging everyone extra money to have Wiisports included in the package. In Japan the Wii is going for about $215 with Wiisports sold seperately. So there is the big difference.
I definitely understand that people are pissed at being forced to buy WiiSports, which is making the console cost more. I would expect the same reaction as today even if the price was $200.

Personally I don't care about it being $250, I had planned on spending $200 for the console and $50 for Wii Sports in the first place.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Haven't really seen whats going on in this thread but I'd just like to say:

Doesn't it feel good to be excited about gaming again?

jjasper

I don't have a problem with packing in a game it is just the fact said game basically requires 2 controllers but they only give you one. It would have made more sense to me for them to include 2 wiimotes and no nunchuck.

lachesis

Gold Member
Well, 250 isn't too bad. I was hoping for 199 price point w/o pack-in game, but 250 will have to do.

Only thing is, the games - while it might be fun initially - but there are far too much movements that are required to play a game. I sincerely hope that this whole 3d mouse thingie will add a lasting and comfortable gaming experience, rather than a mere gimick that I would lose interest in just few min w/o human opponents.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
any trauma center vids besides the one in Gamevideos? that site hates me I cant watch crap

dyls

The region-free thing has made any bad news much easier to swallow for me. I'm expecting all kinds of great games to be Japan-only or take forever to be localized, just like the DS, and I love the fact that I'll be able to experience these without the need for freeloaders/action replays. Maybe the best news of the day.

suaveric

Jiggy37 said:
Don't know about others, but I wouldn't. I'd be there day one and I'd probably spend the $50 that would have gone to a WiiSports pack-in that I don't want exclusively on Virtual Console stuff. More importantly, I'd have fun creating 50+ characters.

Not like I'm particularly angry or anything anyway, though; not getting a Wii right off the bat is no harm to me since the DS September-December lineup owns it in every conceivable way.

I'm just pissed that there's no value for the consumer with what Nintendo has done. It's really no different than EB Games forcing you to buy Fantavision with your PS2 at launch.

The Wii is retailing for $200 in Japan (remember that their quoted price already includes Japan's taxes). If Nintendo had sold the Sports bundle with an extra controller for 250, that would be OK. if they had sold the current bundle for 230, that would be OK. But instead they've given us the wonderful package of the system and a game for full retail price. thanks Nintendo!

SlayrUK

suaveric said:
I'm just pissed that there's no value for the consumer with what Nintendo has done. It's really no different than EB Games forcing you to buy Fantavision with your PS2 at launch.

The Wii is retailing for $200 in Japan (remember that their quoted price already includes Japan's taxes). If Nintendo had sold the Sports bundle with an extra controller for 250, that would be OK. if they had sold the current bundle for 230, that would be OK. But instead they've given us the wonderful package of the system and a game for full retail price. thanks Nintendo!

If you see the sports as a FREE game not as in paying extra to have it included.. and then its lovely!

Top Bottom