• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

Model 500

Just finished watching the GameSpot round-up. The Pool game was a nice surprise, looks like a perfect fit for the system. Nothing too interesting otherwise, the guy playing Excite Truck steered it "wrong"....ugh. The Nintendo guy should've seen it, well, he did well otherwise explaining about different games.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
To each his own, but I'm not going to spend $250 on a Wii in late November. There will be so much other stuff out for the 360/PS2/DS by that time, and I have zero interest in Wii sports. I can see myself getting one during the '07 summer drought, hopefully with Mario.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
IJoel said:
Well, the APOCALYPSE is over and Nintendo didn't disappoint in letting me down. Oh, and I don't mean the price, which while expensive for the outdated tech, is not that big of a deal to me. I guess, I expected real good surprises out of this.

So, uh, all that extra functionality, the connectivity, the interface, etc etc were not surprises to you? I have another theory, which is that you planned to be 'let down' either way.

Nameless

thefro said:
They're going to sell out all the units they can ship to NA/Europe over the first few months, so why sell it for $200? It's called "Supply and Demand".

They'll put out a SKU at $180 or $200 without Wii Sports for Q2/summer 2007 once they can ship more than they are selling. Any of you guys would do the same thing if you were in their shoes.

I'm not mad about it personally, because I was going to buy Wii Sports anyway, and it means less idiots to fight at launch.

A sell out isn't a garuntee, especially at $250. If they had bundled the system with Zelda and sold it for $250 it would be a possibility, and I think the price would be justified. But with Wii Sports, a game that the majority of American gamers have no interest in, they're trying to make a cheap buck--which could backfire. They're coming off either way. A. You have the majority who don't want wii-sports so the extra $50 does nothing for them, they still have to buy the game(s) they want. For the minority who actually want wii-sports they still have to pay $60 for another controller.

Botomline, forcing gamers to buy a game they dont' watn is BS. It would be like Sony bundling the PS2 with Untold Legends, increasing the price for $50 and then charging for online software/hardware at that.

Himuro said:
Wii's interface was posted?

wii.com is probably the easiest place to go to for video. the idea of "channels" in tandem with the Wiimote is just something that I could easily see people latching onto.

Nameless said:
A sell out isn't a garuntee, especially at $250. If they had bundled the system with Zelda and sold it for $250 it would be a possibility, and I think the price would be justified. But with Wii Sports, a game that the majority of American gamers have no interest in, they're trying to make a cheap buck--which could backfire. They're coming off either way. A. You have the majority who don't want wii-sports so the extra $50 does nothing for them, they still have to buy the game(s) they want. For the minority who actually want wii-sports they still have to pay $60 for another controller.

Botomline, forcing gamers to buy a game they dont' watn is BS. It would be like Sony bundling the PS2 with Untold Legends, increasing the price for $50 and then charging for online software/hardware at that.

Funny thing is that I thought that American's liked sports:)

Ristamar

Scalemail Ted said:
So was anything new revealed @ US press con?

- Component cables included
- Zelda GC delayed 'til Dec. 11th
- "Expert" control scheme for MP3
- MP3 pushed to 2007
- Opera browser is free as a download until June 2007 (though I think Jonnyram mentioned this was in the Japan conference)
- Region free 1st-party titles, optional for 3rd-party devs

That's the only new stuff I don't recall being covered in the Japanese presentation.

Ristamar said:
- MP3 pushed to 2007
- Opera browser is free as a download until June 2007 (though I think Jonnyram mentioned this was in the Japan conference)

That's the only new stuff I don't recall being covered in the Japanese presentation.

Thanks^^

Krowley

xabre said:
Prospective buyers will see it for its unique interface not its graphics, so a $50 difference with the 360 will ultimately mean squat.

The hardcore will adopt early, the price will drop, game library will expand and the machine will erupt among the casual/mainstream market...just like with the DS...just like always.

The PS3 is priced out of the market for the conceivable future, mainstream adoption of that console is a long, long ways off. The 360 is deceased in Japan and a mess in Europe. Wii is priced slightly high, but quit the exaggerations, it is in the best position of the three IMO.

See, logical analysis done in one simple post.

Just wanted to quote this... (QFT or whatever)... These are my thoughts exactly... The Wii is definitly a little overpriced, but sony and even microsoft to a certain extent are so expensive that it doesn't matter in the long run.

The most important thing for nintendo in the next few months is to succeed in japan and heavily outsell the ps3 there. They'll do that easily with their japanese price.. In the meanwhile, americans get forcefed a game. It sucks, but that's life.

Amir0x

Banned
For anone not informed, I updated the first post again... it's constantly updated. Now it has media for many of the games shown. Enjoy.

Duderz

Banned
Ristamar said:
- MP3 pushed to 2007

Region-free first party games :D

Blacklion

If they had bundled the system with Zelda and sold it for $250 it would be a possibility,
A packin with Zelda included @ ANY launch is a self serving pipedream

But with Wii Sports, a game that the majority of American gamers have no interest in,

please speak for yourself on this matter...

Rocked

Wii can play MP3s? I didn't know that.

"Photo Channel: This channel allows users to take digital pictures stored on an SD
memory card and display them on their television screens. Users also can manipulate the
photos in a variety of fun and creative ways, such as zooming or creating mosaics,
puzzles or slide shows. They can draw, add stamps, and copy and paste. They also can
change the “mood” of photos by brightening them, converting them to monochrome,
inverting the color or changing them to stark black and white. Users can even add an
MP3 tune to their slide shows.
It provides a fun and easy outlet for people to edit their
digital pictures. Users also can send their pictures to other Wii consoles by attaching a
photo to the Wii Message Board."

So it must have an mp3 player in it, then. Which is nice.

MegaTen

Banned
Himuro said:
I hate Nintendo threads. You want information, but the threads have like 3000 posts in 5 minutes so it's impossible to find any through the fanboy cum truck drive in block your way.
Then GTFO.

koam said:
Nintendo really dropped the ball here imho. They had so much potential for a great launch and messed everthing up.

- Incomplete Dev Kits for 3rd parties
- Launch Price is too high, at $250, graphics should have been a bit better
- Metroid in 2007
- Online in 2007
- Launching AFTER PS3 instead of having some Wiis on the shelves for people who can't snag a PS3 at launch.
- Opera not included for free
- High controller cost, $60 wtf?
- No Widescreen/ 480p mandate

Yep and like fools we are still gonna buy it at launch.

IJoel

Slurpy said:
So, uh, all that extra functionality, the connectivity, the interface, etc etc were not surprises to you? I have another theory, which is that you planned to be 'let down' either way.

Internet on 640x480 screen, news+weather channel, sleek interface?
- I expected the interface to be good, and to be frank, I don't see how it's so amazing.

- I won't browse the internet on my TV screen at that low resolution, so it makes absolutely no difference to me (though it sure was nice back when I did it with my Dreamcast years ago.)

- News/Weather channel is kind of nice, I have to admit. Rather unexpected, but it's just foreign for a console machine, which is why it doesn't do anything to change my disappointment.

- My Xbox 360 today does photo browsing. It has a great music player interface that can be used within games and includes a neat visualization scheme. So this isn't really anything new.

I guess I expected something I'd be excited about. I EXPECTED AN APOCALYPSE, and nothing happened. I blame Amirox's thread title. :p

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Darmstadtium said:
Oh, I didn't know that, thanks. I wish it was the old version that rare was developing instead, though.

What was the point in Nintendo announcing this and super paper mario for GC anyway? Just to get GC owners excited over Wii games? lol

Probably not but then again late-gen games moving to the next system isn't all that uncommon.

Shit, I'm finally out of school.

Looks like the MP3 delay is a good idea. Not only does it allow Retro to make the game even better with the expert mode, it also gives Red Steel the full spotlight at launch. Red Steel is perhaps the most important game launching with the Wii; if it does well, things will truly bode well for Nintendo's third party support in the future. Now I just hope Ubisoft is taking notes from Retro on this expert mode.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
- Online in 2007

What the crap?

- No Widescreen/ 480p mandate

WHAT THE SPOONYBARDING!!!!!

OMG that seriously pisses me off, I come home from work to read this...
My interest in the Revolution (wii) seriously dropped today.

mollipen

IJoel said:
My Xbox 360 today does photo browsing. It has a great music player interface that can be used within games and includes a neat visualization scheme. So this isn't really anything new.

It has a music player built in... I certainly wouldn't call the interface "great" however.

IJoel

shidoshi said:
It has a music player built in... I certainly wouldn't call the interface "great" however.

Uh... I guess it really depends on what functionality you want out of the music player. I think the interface is great because it's adequate, accessible at all times, and has a networking/USB component that allows connectivity with other devices.

Sure it's not the prettiest button setup, but... I really don't care about that, just functionality, and well, that it doesn't detract from its functionality.

MMaRsu said:
OMG :D (RESIDENT EVIL WII NEWS)

Best news in the last two days this game sounds cool and i love resident evil so i am gonna pick it up day of realease i just hate the way that all these screens look worst than most gamecube games.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
OmniGamer said:

1. Ami is certainly not the only person who could have created this thread

2. Ami isn't the singular driving force behind the reactions and information that has been posted here.

3. He seems to have sucummbed to one of periodic bouts of hyberbolic insanity, so the reaction one usually sees is the mocking, shunning, arguing and other negative things that amuse and or annoy people/

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
OmniGamer said:
Just want to extend my thanks to you Amir0x, the master of event threads!

yeah me too. i've been so busy (see 18 hours of near non-stop work) there have been times i might have preferred death to continuing with work, but Amirox has made sure I can catch up on all the news over the weekend by just reading a single post. Thanks!

jacktion said:
The lock on button sounds too complicated. people can't be pushing and unpushing a button to move and reorient their view. That would never fly. think about playing a hardcore pc fps. what if instead of lifting the mouse to recenter, there was a 4th button you had to push to recenter the mouse? that would be insane!

No, lock on actually works out really well. I was thinking about this earlier, that is my experience with MP3 at E3.

It was an odd little thing at first, that lock on, but after using it very quickly it became second nature, I kid you not. I fondly recall and wish I could play it right now.. but alas.. 2007.. what.. why.. sigh..

Top Bottom