• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Do we know anything about Wii's interface yet? A video would be great.

Also ; did we ever find out what that orange port on the back of the console is for?

dysonEA

Nino said:
Do we know anything about Wii's interface yet? A video would be great.

Also ; did we ever find out what that orange port on the back of the console is for?

Orange port = sensor bar outlet?

OmniGamer

Shard said:
1. Ami is certainly not the only person who could have created this thread

2. Ami isn't the singular driving force behind the reactions and information that has been posted here.

3. He seems to have sucummbed to one of periodic bouts of hyberbolic insanity, so the reaction one usually sees is the mocking, shunning, arguing and other negative things that amuse and or annoy people/

1. Never said he was...but it's not just about "this thread", it's about the many event threads that have been created and/or updated by him many times in the past, in a very professional looking, yet clean and functional, format.

2. Never said he was...but as the thread starter and the one who is updating the first post for quick and easy access to the major updates of the event(s), he's the most obvious one to thank...how the hell does it make my thanking him "wrong on so many levels"?

3. I don't care. I'm thanking him on the convenience of his first-post updates...not his opinions on them or his reactions to the opinions of others on them.

Geez...GAF is so f'ing confrontational that you can't even thank someone without someone else ready to "bear arms" and fight about it. "OMG HOW DARE YOU THANK HIM, HAVE AT YOU!"

castle007

Banned
Th apocalypse is almost over and we still don't know what is the orange port on the back of Wii. :(

Edit: Beaten. :lol

But he wasn't joking. He was serious :lol

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
OmniGamer said:
1. Never said he was...but it's not just about "this thread", it's about the many event threads that have been created and/or updated by him many times in the past, in a very professional looking, yet clean and functional, format.

2. Never said he was...but as the thread starter and the one who is updating the first post for quick and easy access to the major updates of the event(s), he's the most obvious one to thank...how the hell does it make my thanking him "wrong on so many levels"?

3. I don't care. I'm thanking him on the convenience of his first-post updates...not his opinions on them or his reactions to the opinions of others on them.

Geez...GAF is so f'ing confrontational that you can't even thank someone without someone else ready to "bear arms" and fight about it. "OMG HOW DARE YOU THANK HIM, HAVE AT YOU!"

I guess you would have to understand some origin aspects or something.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
castle007 said:
Th apocalypse is almost over and we still don't know what is the orange port on the back of Wii. :(

We still have one more stage, the possbilites for more chaos are high indeed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
IJoel said:
Internet on 640x480 screen, news+weather channel, sleek interface?
- I expected the interface to be good, and to be frank, I don't see how it's so amazing.

do we know its that lo-res? with component cables, even a lowly Wii should be able to manage 720p for simple things like web browsing and photo viewing.

If not now, then I hope Nintendo offer a firmware update to do it.

And all this 'SD card photos' - what about from a computer!?

Sigh. I'm excited. But I want it now. Not Nov 19th. That's a really long distance from this moment.

I just don't want it to get washed away in Sony-BS-hype that will undobutedly be taking place at the time since they'll be "selling out" and "omghotproductfor2k6wintar". Too bad Nintendo will eat them alive in Japan.. :)

Anyway.. Europe.. that's tomorrow? Forever.

Did anyone see the Mii Channel's demo in the US press conf video? Mii-amoto!

It looks fun and quirky. I'm really impressed.

Here's my prediction: The Mii concept will one day be evolved into a full-fledged life-sim game. Just imagine Mii + WiiConnect24 + Animal Crossing-esque game + all the realworld connected Wii Channels. It's Nintendo World!

hyp

Suikoguy said:
What the crap?

WHAT THE SPOONYBARDING!!!!!

OMG that seriously pisses me off, I come home from work to read this...
My interest in the Revolution (wii) seriously dropped today.

welcome to the club. i was ranting about this earlier, and i'm still pissed about it. no mandatory 16:9.. booooo

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
mrklaw said:
do we know its that lo-res? with component cables, even a lowly Wii should be able to manage 720p for simple things like web browsing and photo viewing.

If not now, then I hope Nintendo offer a firmware update to do it.

And all this 'SD card photos' - what about from a computer!?

My camera uses SD cards... I don't think they've ruled out USB hardrives.

Taker666

I don't know if this was posted before. I presume it's just a virtual console game and not a new version-

115822581000.jpg

You know, after watching the presentation, I know for a fact my mum will be able to get some use out of this thing. She always wants to look on the net for stuff but doesn't like computers, and the photo displaying stuff would be used all the time.

Nintendo have some good ideas here. It may not be as feature-full as something like the 360, but the simplisity of it makes it much more inviting.

New 1UP Red Steel preview. Sounds like there's some hope for the game, though I'm still not too optimistic.

So many were looking to today's Nintendo press event in New York to find out about the new version of the game, and to see if the controls had been improved as rumors suggested.

The answer is yes -- the version we tried today is a definite improvement over the E3 build. The two main differences we noticed were in a zoom function for gunfire and polished sword fighting mechanics. The zoom function works as such: by holding down the A button and then physically moving the Wii Remote forward, the in-game character will hold his gun in the middle of the screen and then zoom in as far as you push it forward. It took us a couple tries to adjust to the motion, as you have to be sure to hold A with the controller close to your chest to get a full arm's length of zoom when you push out, but once we got the hang of it, it provided a much more manageable way to take out enemies than the standard pointing and shooting.

Sword fighting now is pretty manageable as well. The basic idea is to either parry (by thrusting the nunchaku left or right) or dodge (by holding the top nunchaku trigger and pushing left or right) oncoming attacks, and then follow them up with swipes of your blade using the Wii Remote. In the fight we tried, it was very easy to parry once we got the hang of it, and the only challenge seemed to be in figuring out when to parry and when to dodge, though according to developers from Ubisoft, the fights will become much more difficult later on in the game.

Visually, the developers tell us the look is just about finished -- and it definitely looks better than it did at E3 and holds up well next to most Wii games short of Mario Galaxy or Zelda -- and the controls have definitely improved since we saw them last, but we're still not sold on how it feels a bit clumsy to target normal enemies a lot of the time, so hopefully in these remaining weeks of development that will get polished up.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
You guys have to watch that GameSpot video of the show floor, it's really great.

Taker666 said:
I don't know if this was posted before. I presume it's just a virtual console game and not a new version-

115822581000.jpg
OH SHIT! MINE! :D

effzee

the only thing im not really liking is the late launch. nintendo could have really capitalized by launching anything in oct but i guess they might need this time to complete everything.

oh well from the wiiconnect 24 to the channels and the new media of the games it looks amazing. i think my first day purchases are zelda, the new mario game (not galaxy), madden, and maybe red steel...depends on which is the best FPS available.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
effzee said:
the only thing im not really liking is the late launch. nintendo could have really capitalized by launching anything in oct but i guess they might need this time to complete everything.

oh well from the wiiconnect 24 to the channels and the new media of the games it looks amazing. i think my first day purchases are zelda, the new mario game (not galaxy), madden, and maybe red steel...depends on which is the best FPS available.

What new mario game? Super Paper's 2007.

Tadaima

I've read almost every post over the past day, so I can't believe I haven't said anything.

I'm satisfied at $250, as I was going to buy Wii Sports anyway :D

Wink

I really like what I saw in Red Steel. The sword fighting looked far better than at E3. Hopefully it plays as good.

Few things:

1) Looks like I was right regarding Wii's price. I said it would be either a $300 machine or $300 after a system plus game, meaning $250. Everyone bashed and frothed at me, thinking it was going to be $100-200. Guess who is right.

2) $60 for the controllers is exploitation. Pure and simple. Nintendo is a bunch of assholes.

3) Half assed launch list = no Experiment. Nintendo botched that bastard up. I'm guessing they hope TP will be their savior. Still, a bad move on their part.

4) Region free is okay. Could be better depending on who is developing on it. Like if SNK Playmore decides to release some games in the US but not others. I'm indifferent to this news.

5) Virtual Console game prices are about right. I have no intention of downloading them but its a happy middle between unprofitably cheap and exploitingly high like its controller.

MMaRsu

The Experiment said:
Few things:

1) Looks like I was right regarding Wii's price. I said it would be either a $300 machine or $300 after a system plus game, meaning $250. Everyone bashed and frothed at me, thinking it was going to be $100-200. Guess who is right.

Wow that sure is cool m8!

2) $60 for the controllers is exploitation. Pure and simple. Nintendo is a bunch of assholes.

So if one piece of the controller breaks ie the nunchuck you'd rather buy a 40 dollar set than a 20 dollar nunchuck or something?

Amir0x

Banned
Lavpa Jasai said:
Is there a confirmed Wii US launch list?

List of Confirmed US Wii Launch games

FIRST-PARTY US WII TITLES

- Excite Truck
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- Wii Sports (bundled with the Wii console)

THIRD-PARTY US WII TITLES

- Call of Duty 3
- Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
- Rapala Tournament Fishing
- Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
- World Series of Poker
- Trauma Center: Second Opinion
- Madden NFL 07
- Need for Speed: Carbon
- Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
- Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
- Far Cry: Vengeance
- GT Pro Series
- Monster 4x4: World Circuit
- Open Season
- Rayman Raving Rabbids
- Red Steel
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent

MMaRsu said:
Wow that sure is cool m8!

Damn straight, I'm psychic.

So if one piece of the controller breaks ie the nunchuck you'd rather buy a 40 dollar set than a 20 dollar nunchuck or something?

I highly doubt that nunchuck accessory costs Nintendo anything more than $5 at most. That controller probably costs $20-25 to make at the absolute most. Since it looks different, Nintendo can feel they can squeeze money out of consumers.

OmegaRed

So, I've heard Iwata and Reggie are going to Europe. Is it true? And why would they be going there. Couldnt NOE management announce their own stuff?

JCX

Amir0x said:
List of Confirmed US Wii Launch games

FIRST-PARTY US WII TITLES

- Excite Truck
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- Wii Sports (bundled with the Wii console)

THIRD-PARTY US WII TITLES

- Call of Duty 3
- Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
- Rapala Tournament Fishing
- Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
- World Series of Poker
- Trauma Center: Second Opinion
- Madden NFL 07
- Need for Speed: Carbon
- Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
- Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
- Far Cry: Vengeance
- GT Pro Series
- Monster 4x4: World Circuit
- Open Season
- Rayman Raving Rabbids
- Red Steel
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent

I guess I'll get Red steel or rayman, but I really wanted MP3 to be my first wii experience ( well after the SSBB at launch quote was clarified). Zelda in either of its forms just doesn;t really appeal to me at this time.

BooJoh

The Experiment said:
Neither. It's $250 after a system plus game. Nintendo is just choosing the game for you.

The Experiment said:
Not all games require the $20 Nunchuck, and the $40 remote has more tech in it than Microsoft's $50 controller.

The Experiment said:
3) Half assed launch list = no Experiment. Nintendo botched that bastard up. I'm guessing they hope TP will be their savior. Still, a bad move on their part.
A good launch list should have two to three wanted titles on average for each individual person. This list delivers on a lot of different taste fronts.

MMaRsu

The Experiment said:
Damn straight, I'm psychic.

I highly doubt that nunchuck accessory costs Nintendo anything more than $5 at most. That controller probably costs $20-25 to make at the absolute most. Since it looks different, Nintendo can feel they can squeeze money out of consumers.

Well they aren't in this to make losses on hardware now are they? Can't say I blame em.

OmegaRed said:
So, I've heard Iwata and Reggie are going to Europe. Is it true? And why would they be going there. Couldnt NOE management announce their own stuff?

Iwate is confirmed by Perrin Kaplan. Reggie I don't know?

Come on, if the 360 controller costs $50 and all it is is wireless, it's not like Nintendo's controller could be less expensive. There's a lot of shit in that thing. It's not ideal, but I can live with it.

Amir0x

Banned
JCX9 said:
I guess I'll get Red steel or rayman, but I really wanted MP3 to be my first wii experience ( well after the SSBB at launch quote was clarified). Zelda in either of its forms just doesn;t really appeal to me at this time.

Yeah. I'm still trying to decide what I'd get if I decide to keep my pre-order. I'm pretty on the fence now in terms of game decisions, because there's nothing at the launch that looks appealing.

I guess at worst I'd fall back on buying Red Steel if the game gets at least 8.0 scores

Top Bottom