• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

puck1337

Taker666 said:
I don't know if this was posted before. I presume it's just a virtual console game and not a new version-

115822581000.jpg
Whaaaaaaat!!!!

so how much do people think Wii Sports is worth?

And in a somewhat related note, how "full-featured" are the Wii Sports games anyway? I've always sort of viewed them as like a $20 disc or something, but maybe there's something I'm missing...

Amir0x

Banned
soul creator said:
so how much do people think Wii Sports is worth?

And in a somewhat related note, how "full-featured" are the Wii Sports games anyway? I've always sort of viewed them as like a $20 disc or something, but maybe there's something I'm missing...

In Japan, Wiisports retails for 4800 yen which = $40 US.

ALSO, in the US version is boxing there?

wii_copy.jpg
wii_nunchuk.jpg

Every article fails to mention it now.

Amir0x said:
In Japan, Wiisports retails for 4800 yen which = $40 US.

ALSO, in the US version is boxing there?

wii_copy.jpg
wii_nunchuk.jpg

Every article fails to mention it now.
i know, what gives,

what i hope for is a patch release for wii sports to go onlie, also can now see punch out wii(nintendo make it happen)

Amir0x

Banned
BooJoh said:
Yes it is.

We 100%? It's a little odd how every site/article/thing about the US version curiously omits this fact.

Anyway, the second question...

Can we use the Gamecube controller to play 'classic' Virtual Console titles?

9:33 EST: Reggie takes stage again. Says Wii Tennis Wii Golf, Wii Baseball, Wii Bowling and Wii Boxing are all included in the Wii Sports disc. Calls it a five-game compilation. "This is designed to get everyone involved playing." Game will be packed with Wii. Everyone'll get it when they buy the system.

Well Reggie seems to be saying wii boxing is still going state side.

Amir0x said:
We 100%? It's a little odd how every site/article/thing about the US version curiously omits this fact.

Anyway, the second question...

Can we use the Gamecube controller to play 'classic' Virtual Console titles?

Reggie mentioned it during the conference when talking about the pack-ins.

The Experiment said:
2) $60 for the controllers is exploitation. Pure and simple. Nintendo is a bunch of assholes.

X360-controller cost 50$, without motion-sensors, without direct-pointing-device, without speaker...if Nintendo is a bunch of assholes, than what is MS >_<

Maridia

Amir0x said:
Alright, I believe then. Wondering why they don't emphasize it... maybe because people associate boxing with violence, and may turn away from WiiSports as a 'family product' if they don't realize what it actually entails?

Either that or ebgames could have based their preorder ad on the NY Times article, which also failed to mention it.

Iwata is going to Europe apparently.

No idea why he's coming here. Maybe to man the battle stations when they announce delay until March, where upon NOE HQ will be stormed by a vast herd of angry Nbots.

Wait, the console stand is included in the 250$-package, as well?
Um, how can anyone criticise that price?
PS2 didnt give you the stand for nothing, X360 doesnt have WiFi built-in, and then there´s a whole bunch of nice software built-in. And WiiSports is there, as well.

Man, how i love those 600$-console-lovers, that bash Wii for its price >_<

SuperPac

MasterMFauli said:
X360-controller cost 50$, without motion-sensors, without direct-pointing-device, without speaker...if Nintendo is a bunch of assholes, than what is MS >_<

I cannot wait until Sony announces that the Dual Shake is $60. I mean, it's wireless, it has motion sensors, and if they put vibration back into it... I just see a $59.99 price tag on there. Then the cost of Wii-motes won't seem so bad, since at least it's split into $39/19 chunks. If you only play multiplayer games that don't need the nunchuk then extra controllers are $40.

Perhaps it does offer a lot of value to warrant $250. But I can't help but be totally underwhelmed by all this news. I don't see the point in getting a Wii at launch now, to tell the truth.

And the Nintendo fans continue to defy logic. So first we're 100% all about the games games games, but now we throw in some half assed photo viewing (not in hd, and consider the resolution), a bit of Google support, and everyhing is A ok? If you're going to walk the road Nintendo, there ain't no half stepping. We can look at photos, but have to buy a god damned DVD add on? This just reeks of corners cut, and I'm not feeling it at all.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
PhoenixDark said:

Perhaps it does offer a lot of value to warrant $250. But I can't help but be totally underwhelmed by all this news. I don't see the point in getting a Wii at launch now, to tell the truth.

And the Nintendo fans continue to defy logic. So first we're 100% all about the games games games, but now we throw in some half assed photo viewing (not in hd, and consider the resolution), a bit of Google support, and everyhing is A ok? If you're going to walk the road Nintendo, there ain't no half stepping. We can look at photos, but have to buy a god damned DVD add on? This just reeks of corners cut, and I'm not feeling it at all.

er

That photo support is hardly half assed.

Amir0x

Banned
MasterMFauli said:
Wait, the console stand is included in the 250$-package, as well?
Um, how can anyone criticise that price?
PS2 didnt give you the stand for nothing, X360 doesnt have WiFi built-in, and then there´s a whole bunch of nice software built-in. And WiiSports is there, as well.

yes let's change our tune for a cheap 2 dollar stand

fortunately, PS3 and 360 can stand on their own. They're NEXT-GEN enough :lol :lol

Lee N

Membre
Taker666 said:

I said WOW.

(Sign says &#12460;&#12531;&#12473;&#12479;&#12540;&#12498;&#12540;&#12525;&#12540;&#12474; (Gunstar Heroes) and &#12475;&#12460; (Sega) so it seems legit)

Can we expect the other MegaDrive Treasure titles aswell? That'd be.. WOW.

MMaRsu

PhoenixDark said:

Well you know, it's cool in a $250 machine but not as much in a $600 machine ;).

I kid don't hit me

jarosh said:
WILL NOT WORK. NO. PERRIN SAID NO.

i know i'm sad too. :(
Should be a simple firmware download..... better be relatively soon. I'll buy a SD card now since they're cheap as hell, but I eventually want at least a modest sized external HDD.

sp0rsk said:
er

That photo support is hardly half assed.

It could have been much better though, wouldn't you agree? Sure the interface looks great, but in the end why am I going to want to look at photos on the Wii? -_-

/sad

Pachinko

It seems they didn't list a canadian pricetag, so going by the law of assumption, where with our current higher dollar we get slightly ripped off, I'd expect the following-

Wii Console- 279.99
Wii-mote- 49.99
Nunchaku-29.99
software- 1st party 59.99, 3rd party 64.99-69.99
VC cards- 2000 points for 24.99-29.99 5000 points for 59.99

Putting this all togethor with what I'd purchase , I'd need to save up 492 dollars.
This would net me a 5000 wii point card(or credit card purchases totalling 5000 points) , a system, zelda and trauma center and covers 6% GST.

In comparisn , in 2001 I spent 675 bucks on a PS2 with 1 game, memory card and 1 year warrenty , 750 dollars on an xbox with 2 games and a second controller and in 2002 I spent about 435 dollars on a gamecube with 1 game and a memory card. Most recently the 360 was purchased for about 725 dollars with 1 game and a second controller.

So really going by past purchases this is still a much cheaper launch then the competition, I mean comparitivly just for a PS3 premium you'll wind up paying 700 Canadian with GST, more still if you live outside of alberta! That's just for a system. Add a couple games to that pricetag and you could easily spend 1000 bucks. Regardless of what tech you get in the box that's alot of cash.

so yeah, I suppose all these prices are slightly above what we are used to from nintendo but given current competition it's still the cheapest alternative by a long shot. The closest comparisn you can get is a core 360 with a memory card and 1 game and even that'll set a canadian gamer back atleast 510 bucks.

A brief comparisn now in american money! -

Core 360 + 1 game + 1 memory card = 360 USD before taxes
Basic PS3 + 1 game = 550 USD before taxes
Wii + 1 game = 300 USD before taxes

Again, we all wanted a wii with 500 dollars worth of crap in there for 200 dollars and it didn't happen but if you care only about having some new games to play it makes much more financial sence to spend 300 bucks then it does 360 or especially 550.

SuperPac said:
I cannot wait until Sony announces that the Dual Shake is $60. I mean, it's wireless, it has motion sensors, and if they put vibration back into it... I just see a $59.99 price tag on there. Then the cost of Wii-motes won't seem so bad, since at least it's split into $39/19 chunks. If you only play multiplayer games that don't need the nunchuk then extra controllers are $40.

Well ,at least, THEN suddenly 60$ arent too much, magically. Yeah, yeah, the power of Sony-defense force...once it starts, it even sucks in the criticism about Wiimote. :lol

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
PhoenixDark said:
It could have been much better though, wouldn't you agree? Sure the interface looks great, but in the end why am I going to want to look at photos on the Wii? -_-

/sad

It's better than iphoto. What did you expect, photoshop? Do you want the wii to be the same price as a ps3?

I don't know why you would want to look at pictures on the wii, but somebody will. The fact that this is a standard feature probably means it can be integrated into games somehow.

Lee N

Membre
GoldenEye 007 said:
Should be a simple firmware download..... better be relatively soon. I'll buy a SD card now since they're cheap as hell, but I eventually want at least a modest sized external HDD.

Apparently you'll be able to download a Virtual Console game you have bought as many times you want, so you can always delete games you don't play if space is an issue. And maybe you'll be able to backup the (DRM protected files, I'm sure) to your computer as an extra way of keeping stuff you don't use constantly.

And as you said, SD cards are cheap.. I don't really see this being an issue for me at least.

PhoenixDark said:

/sad

It's not so much about you, but about a non-technically experienced person being able to do it. The whole point is to suck in the kind of people that don't play games.

If we can share the images online with friends and post messages, I'd be interested. It'd be pretty cool, if not a real selling point for me.

jacktion

Banned
I just got a 4GB sd card for 54 dollars. There isn't really a need for an external hard drive beyond that. In six months we'll have 10GB cards for 80 dollars. How many NES games do you need to store anyway?

PhoenixDark said:

/sad

It's not for you, it's for people who have digital cameras and don't wanna be all computering it up to see some photos.

The photo interface thing is pretty ****ing cool btw, not halfassed at all

jarosh said:
WILL NOT WORK. NO. PERRIN SAID NO.

i know i'm sad too. :(

Maybe you can buy the usb hdd channel for 3000 wii points.

jacktion said:
I just got a 4GB sd card for 54 dollars. There isn't really a need for an external hard drive beyond that. In six months we'll have 10GB cards for 80 dollars. How many NES games do you need to store anyway?

serious? I need to start buying a few cards

PhoenixDark said:
We can look at photos, but have to buy a god damned DVD add on? This just reeks of corners cut, and I'm not feeling it at all.

Honestly, without digital audio out who cares if you can watch DVD's on it? I hardly see how DVD could be considered a deal breaker at this point anyway. You can buy a standalone player for under $29.99.

A_Lee_N said:
Apparently you'll be able to download a Virtual Console game you have bought as many times you want, so you can always delete games you don't play if space is an issue. And maybe you'll be able to backup the (DRM protected files, I'm sure) to your computer as an extra way of keeping stuff you don't use constantly.

And as you said, SD cards are cheap.. I don't really see this being an issue for me at least.
I don't think space will ever be an issue, I just kind of want an external HDD. I'll buy an SD Card closer to launch and maybe by then there will be 8GB single cards on the market, or I'll wait for 4GB cards to fall down some more. Newegg is thy friend!

Top Bottom