• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wimbledon 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Who has the best return?

Statistically, Murray has the highest percentage of return games won of all time. He's just much easier to break than Djokovic, probably due to how shit his second serve is and the fact that he's mentally not really that great at pressure points.

Certinty

Djokovic has the best aggressive return of serve while Murray has the best defensive one, that's pretty clear.

Overall though, even as a Murray fan I would have to go with Djokovic's though.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
HAHAHAHAHHAH Dying here. Bartoli is amazing.

I agree. She never fails to make me laugh.

what'd she do? salty post-match presser?
787396953.jpg

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Djokovic has the best aggressive return of serve while Murray has the best defensive one, that's pretty clear.

Overall though, even as a Murray fan I would have to go with Djokovic's though.

Eh, stats don't lie. Like, if you said to me "your life depends on the player you pick now winning against TennisTron 3000", I'd pick Djokovic, but if you said to me "your life depends on the player you pick now returning a single serve from TennisTron 3000", I'd pick Murray.

szaromir

Banned
Statistically, Murray has the highest percentage of return games won of all time. He's just much easier to break than Djokovic, probably due to how shit his second serve is and the fact that he's mentally not really that great at pressure points.
Murray's such an underachiever taking into account his talent and what Djoker and Nadal achieved in comparison. Sadly, he
a) is a mental midget compared to them
b) doesn't recover from physically brutal matches as easily
c) 2nd serve
d) pressure of not winning a slam for so long really got into him at one point, luckily no longer the case
e) f) g) h) mental midget compared to Djokovic and Nadal
But yeah, he's return is phenomenal, he reads serves so much earlier than any other guy. Here's hoping he starts catching up with them (outside clay) starting this week.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Murray's such an underachiever taking into account his talent and what Djoker and Nadal achieved in comparison. Sadly, he
c) 2nd serve
d) pressure of not winning a slam for so long really got into him at one point, luckily no longer the case
But yeah, he's return is phenomenal, he reads serves so much earlier than any other guy. Here's hoping he starts catching up with them (outside clay) starting this week.

I'm not sure b) is true any more. Part of the way Murray won the U.S. Open was simply by physically outlasting Djokovic in the final set. a), c) and d) are the critical ones. Lendl seems so be slowly easing Murray out of a), which is incredible considering how many coaches had tried and failed. d) will go away if all the others are solved if you see what I mean, which leads us back to the age old Murray problem: the second serve is absolutely terrible. I mean, god damn, you cannot hit in 69 mph second serves like he was doing against Verdasco, what in the fuck was that.

MIMIC

Banned
Watching Radwanska play is so aggravating. Just push push push and rely on the opponent's error. I'm glad she was taken out.

Hopefully Janowicz does the same thing to Murray.

c) 2nd serve

My primary problem with him is when he starts beating himself up on the court. Once he starts straying from utter perfection he starts ranting at himself, either verbally or through body language or by abusing his entourage in the seats who can do bugger all about it.

I thought it was his opponent's job to beat him up but he seems to be quite happy to do it to himself if things don't go exactly as he thinks they should. That is just elementary weakness and should have been knocked out of him at an elementary stage given any pretence that he should engage in a competitive environment.

I wouldn't mind but does this help him get to where he wants to go? I would guess that 99% of the time the answer would be no. If his objective is to win his match does him whining at the end of the court help or hinder his opponent? Frankly he really needed to be taken in hand at a very early age and slapped into shape until he grew up. He's in his mid 20's; acting like an ill tempered child is embarrassing. Although from someone I know who was around the Murrays when he was a child, even his mother was tested where he was concerned. The word 'willful" comes to mind. If that brings him multiple Championships then more to the good but if not...

If he wishes to absorb one aspect of his coach's wisdom it should be this: Lendl's robotic, utter perfectionist, professional zeal for being the best, maximising of one's potential, approach to the game. For those who are too young to appreciate Lendl in his prime he was a beautiful Terminator of a player. He would just turn up and dispose of 99% of his opponents and generally only encounter any trouble when he had a McEnroe or Connors to deal with. Even then he'd go back and work at it until he persevered. He was such a professional and I adored him for his approach. I only hope that Murray is wise enough to learn from this.

EDIT: Murray is such a beautifully gifted player it is painful to watch him not realise his potential amongst his puerile on court mannerisms and missed Grand Slam chances. He could quite easily be the most successful player of his generation but seeing him fritter it away really hurts.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Del Potro is going to have keep up some godly serving.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If this goes to 5, Del Potro will not win unless Djokovic chokes furiously. His endurance is awful and an age-old problem. You can't help but feel winning this set is crucial.

Is Delpo okay or is he still injured from the last match? Because sometimes it seems like he isn't moving all that smoothly. Dunno, maybe that's normal for him though.

Edit: Uhoh, he definitely isn't okay :/

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Del Potro's movement started okay, but has been nose-diving. Mind you, he did the same in the Ferrer match but was moving fine by the end, so maybe exacerbated by stress/being down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom