• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
Your Lumia does have cyan though and has done for many months. Installing the dev preview is your own "fault".

Also, despite it not having the latest firmware update, you still have the latest os version running on it anyway.

And, you also have the option to get the cyan update through a tool that Microsoft provided in the summer.

In short, you're complaining about nothing, Brotmeister.

It says "in the coming weeks" after listing all phones. Google has no specific date for any of their devices yet. I don't expect the N4 to get the update much later than the N5 or N7.

But fine, lets see if my Lumia gets Cyan before the N4 gets 5.0.

How would you want to connect the controller? With a wire?

indeed, better off asking for BT support. maybe the Sony WP can add DualShock support!

It says "in the coming weeks" after listing all phones. Google has no specific date for any of their devices yet. I don't expect the N4 to get the update much later than the N5 or N7.

But fine, lets see if my Lumia gets Cyan before the N4 gets 5.0.

How would you want to connect the controller? With a wire?

Yes, the same way you do on a windows tablet

Your Lumia does have cyan though and has done for many months. Installing the dev preview is your own "fault".

Also, despite it not having the latest firmware update, you still have the latest os version running on it anyway.

And, you also have the option to get the cyan update through a tool that Microsoft provided in the summer.

I have a 920 with verizon, can I get the cyan update if I roll back the firmware from the dev preview?

KageMaru

What is this tool you speak of?

Could I use it to get cyan on my Icon?

ATT 830 will include both a black and green backing that works for both PMA and Qi, woohoo! Don't know if I like the frame color change to black. Those corner scuffs will show.

8Ya57rT.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
For fucks sake... the handling of bluetooth shared PDFs is simply terrible.
The first program i use to open it will have it, and if i don't use either program, the file will simply vanish as far as i can determined.
Of the three files i've sent to my phone, 2 are readable in Adobe's PDF reader, and one in MS's PDF reader.
But since they're different files, i can't really compared the damn apps...

EDIT still can't find the files on the phone using Files.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I'm not sure where I'm hating, but sorry if I hurt your feelings.
um if one were to characterize the majority of your posts in here lately, i think most would consider it overly negative. Someone else even said the other day they know your posts just from scrolling up from the bottom.

Just one example, when i posted about specific examples where windows phone falls short as compared to android and iphone. You responded and simply said "just keep using it youll notice it more and more" or some nonspecific, unhelpful answer. Going on a month plus and i still find nothing i miss from my iphone.

But anyway, you didnt hurt my feelings, just curious why you two bother to post in here if all you seem to want to do is trash the system or MS.

Really apple watch is out?

Also, if you want to pedantic:

No, the watch isn't out yet, but they had 4 other existing products on that slice. None of the devices in your picture work together. Well, except for OneDrive.

um if one were to characterize the majority of your posts in here lately, i think most would consider it overly negative. Someone else even said the other day they know your posts just from scrolling up from the bottom.

Just one example, when i posted about specific examples where windows phone falls short as compared to android and iphone. You responded and simply said "just keep using it youll notice it more and more" or some nonspecific, unhelpful answer. Going on a month plus and i still find nothing i miss from my iphone.

But anyway, you didnt hurt my feelings, just curious why you two bother to post in here if all you seem to want to do is trash the system or MS.

It's not my fault that most facts around MS or WP lately are negative. If you don't like that, you can always read some WMPU for the positive spin on shitty news.

And your example perfectly shows that I definitely hurt your feelings at some point, because I never said what you just described. Again, I'm really sorry. I can be an ass sometimes, but I always try not to be personal with other posters.

Fuckin' ATT. Why not a white 830? That's all I want.

Day 1.

None of the devices in your picture work together. Well, except for OneDrive.

What's being criticized? A family of devices that share a unified platform, or the apps inside of them? What do you mean by "work together"?

Fuckin' ATT. Why not a white 830? That's all I want.

Day 1.

What's being criticized? A family of devices that share a unified platform, or the apps inside of them? What do you mean by "work together"?

You're right. I didn't explain it well, sorry. What I mean was that the iPhone can connect to that iMac or MacBook and you can take calls on your PC or respond to a text or iMessage. That kind of working together. IE never synced anything between devices before 8.1. Stuff like that. "Sharing one platform" means nothing, if the user doesn't get to see any of it. It was never really beneficial to me to use a whole line-up of Windows devices.

dLMN8R

Brot is right. Not sure why people are harping on him.

He's pretty tame compared to the type of complaints I hear daily when talking to my coworkers at microsoft.

hitgirl

What's the reason to take Cyan over 8.1? I have a 928 from Verizon and really like 8.1, don't know what I'm missing on Cyan.

You're right. I didn't explain it well, sorry. What I mean was that the iPhone can connect to that iMac or MacBook and you can take calls on your PC or respond to a text or iMessage. That kind of working together. IE never synced anything between devices before 8.1. Stuff like that. "Sharing one platform" means nothing, if the user doesn't get to see any of it. It was never really beneficial to me to use a whole line-up of Windows devices.
That is something that's really missing from the MS ecosytem that Apple is doing well.

Hopefully in Win 10 I can read/write/send messages from my phone or my Surface Pro, or desktop, or even sign in to be able to do it on my work machine.

José Mourinho;134675278 said:
My 930 is now constantly in headphone mode... Sweet.

There seems to be a lot of defect with the 930. I am looking at 830 but to me it's seems like side-upgrade at best. I want to comeback to Windows Phone, I miss it every times I used the 1020 but the choice of hardware is really sad. I like the 830 design and Qi charging is nudging me closer but I feel like at best it's side-grade. Also camera on One-Plus is much better with the latest Cyanogen Mod update, it's even do RAW format now.

Also pick up Pebble to play with and somehow I can't get it to connect to my 1020 it see it but just doesn't connect not sure what the problem is.

I want a new phone to open up like all the other kids:-( with their iPhones and note 4s

Curse you Microsoft for making us wait for a new flagship phone. Stuck with a 920.

Razdek

Banned
Brot is right. Not sure why people are harping on him.

He's pretty tame compared to the type of complaints I hear daily when talking to my coworkers at microsoft.

Make sure captive doesn't see this post or you might ruin his fantasy of Microsoft being the perfect company and that they're just waiting for WP 10 to finally make their big moves.

dLMN8R

Make sure captive doesn't see this post or you might ruin his fantasy of Microsoft being the perfect company and that they're just waiting for WP 10 to finally make their big moves.

Windows 10 will finally make everything perfect. But it's not out yet, so we're allowed to bitch about things in the meantime :p

Heretic

Windows 10 will finally make everything perfect. But it's not out yet, so we're allowed to bitch about things in the meantime :p

What kind of interfacing can we expect with Windows 10 and Windows Phone? I would love to have my phone interfaced on my PC so that I can reply to text, pick up calls, or open apps like 6snap or Skype Qik and things like that. Pipe dream?

clav

Yep. We know how to bitch and moan about our own products.

Are you sure that's not everyone's SO?

I really hope so. Many thought Windows 8 was when the 3 screen vision will make sense. Right now, Xbox, Windows, and Phone feel like three different platforms.

This guy hopes so, too (near the end):

http://youtu.be/xm2Tm-DtDNc

Paganmoon

Got a call from my provider today, saying my contract is about to end, and they wondered if I wanted a new phone and a new contract. Said I was waiting for a new Windows Phone to be released before I renewed my contract... Awkward silence ensued...

derFeef

Got a call from my provider today, saying my contract is about to end, and they wondered if I wanted a new phone and a new contract. Said I was waiting for a new Windows Phone to be released before I renewed my contract... Awkward silence ensued...

"I am sorry, Windows Mobile is obsolete since 3 years now."
"Nono, Windows Phone, a Nokia!"
"....."
"....."
"You wan't an iPhone 6?"

edit:
I just checked with T-Mobile here.
I can extend my contract and get a Luma 930! For 445€! - that is 40€ more than on Amazon. Pathetic.

JaggedSac

No, the watch isn't out yet, but they had 4 other existing products on that slice. None of the devices in your picture work together. Well, except for OneDrive.

It's not my fault that most facts around MS or WP lately are negative. If you don't like that, you can always read some WMPU for the positive spin on shitty news.

And your example perfectly shows that I definitely hurt your feelings at some point, because I never said what you just described. Again, I'm really sorry. I can be an ass sometimes, but I always try not to be personal with other posters.

There is a rather large difference between the unification that Apple is doing and what MS is doing. One is glueing things together piecemeal and one is just making them all the same thing.

There is a rather large difference between the unification that Apple is doing and what MS is doing. One is glueing things together piecemeal and one is just making them all the same thing.

For the consumer it doesn't really matter how it works under the surface, does it? Ever since Windows and Windows Phone started sharing the same kernel in 2012, we had hopes that the two operating system would finally work better together. It took another year to get IE sync, cross-buy took even longer. Now with Windows 10 we can start another cycle.

I'm really not seeing where I'm hateful or telling nonsense.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I don't think that's captive's stance at all. He likes the platform but he's not a soft, moist ass dude. I think at one point or another we've all yelled at brot for his cynical posting, then we kiss and make up. No need to rag on captive because he is enjoying the platform. He already complained about the Verizon update situation, so it's not like he is a blind apologist.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

get bent.

Was simply noting that some, including you, only post negative shit. Why not just move on? If you like the platform and want better for it fine. But I just dont understand the mindset of hanging around a thread to only post negative news as if to try and convince everyone else they've chosen a bad platform and they should get a better phone.

If you think im some shill for MS, I can give you a list full of shit I dont like about them, as well as a list of things I do like.

Top Bottom