• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

this_guy

I like the design of the 830 and might consider it as my next phone. Hoping the off contract price will be closer to $300 and not $400. Considering the Lumia 635 shares the same processor as the 830 I think that's a reasonable price.

get bent.

Was simply noting that some, including you, only post negative shit. Why not just move on? If you like the platform and want better for it fine. But I just dont understand the mindset of hanging around a thread to only post negative news as if to try and convince everyone else they've chosen a bad platform and they should get a better phone.

If you think im some shill for MS, I can give you a list full of shit I dont like about them, as well as a list of things I do like.

I love wp so much, probably my favorite MS product. The only thing I dont like is that I cant get updates on verizon and we are not getting any new phones. Hell I would be more then happy if they just released the 1520 on verizon.

MCD

I got tired of bitching a long time ago but I will say this again: we need more hardware, please :(

my 1020 acts funny every day and the battery is at its worst.

hadareud

The Translator
Yes we do.

A 1030. With an improved 41 mp camera, a 801 processor, LCD screen, built in wireless charging, replaceable back plate & battery and SD card support, in the same form factor as the 930 with the back looking similar to the 830 but with a camera bump.

Available before the end of the year, or by the end of January at the latest.

Come on Microsoft.

DO IT. DO IT.

edit: DO IT.

hadareud

The Translator
Couldn't care less about the processor unless there's significant battery life improvements to be had. The 800/801 series is more than enough.

Getting hung up on mobile processors is so 2013.

Zeknurn

Yes we do.

A 1030. With an improved 41 mp camera, a 801 processor, LCD screen, built in wireless charging, replaceable back plate & battery and SD card support, in the same form factor as the 930 with the back looking similar to the 830 but with a camera bump.

Come on Microsoft.

DO IT. DO IT.

Change the form factor to 1520-like but with a 5" screen and you have a deal.

Paganmoon

Couldn't care less about the processor unless there's significant battery life improvements to be had. The 800/801 series is more than enough.

I think the 1020 is the absolute proof that the processor does matter. Awesome camera, great phone, brought down by subpar performance of the processor, and it's not like it has a stellar battery life as it is (yes, I know it's a snapdragon S4 "plus").

Also, the 1030 would be a flagship device, again, why settle for old hardware on a flagship device?

hadareud

The Translator
Very different story for the 1020. The processor really was under powered, for that. The jump from the 1020 to the 801 is so much bigger than the jump from the 800 to the 805, you can't compare it.

MCD

Yes we do.

Come on Microsoft.

DO IT. DO IT.

don't forget the camera case bro

get bent.

Was simply noting that some, including you, only post negative shit. Why not just move on? If you like the platform and want better for it fine. But I just dont understand the mindset of hanging around a thread to only post negative news as if to try and convince everyone else they've chosen a bad platform and they should get a better phone.

If you think im some shill for MS, I can give you a list full of shit I dont like about them, as well as a list of things I do like.

First of all, I didn't create this OT or some of the previous ones, just because I like to shit on the platform all the time.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't think I've seriously tried to convince anyone to pick iOS or Android over Windows Phone. In fact, my parents and my uncle are going to have a Windows Phone by the end of the month, because that's what I recommended.

Again, it's not my fault that there's no flagship phone for this holiday or that the 530 is worse than the 520. Or that the 830 is overpriced (although it's already come down in price significantly here) and barely an upgrade to the 920. The 730/735 would be a great deal for 150-180 bucks, but it's still 250-280.

Here's the problem in shot: Software is old (remember, 8.1 since April) and there's no new and exciting hardware.

By this time last year we had the 925/1020 launch behind us, already got Amber with Glance, GDR2 and rumors about GDR3.

So for someone who's been following this platform for so long, it's simply another boring and somewhat disappointing period for WP, while you get to see the advancements that are happening on the other sides (no matter how big or small they are). That makes it easier to bitch about the little things that are (still) lacking.

We've already been there few times. Things will get better and there will be hype again and maybe even a new OT, I don't know.
But right now everything is shit.

stktt

Banned
GDR1 came out in August. GDR2 should be out this month or next month, and Denim will begin rolling out in a similar timeframe. The 630 is a definite upgrade over the 520 and costs about as much as that phone did when it was first released (you can already find it for $50-$80 in a few places). The 530 seems more like a way to hit an even lower price point. Glance was recently updated with a few new features.

There are certainly areas of the OS that need improvement, and the lack of a new high end phone from Nokia (or at least offering the 930 in the US on carriers other than Verizon) is a glaring omission in the lineup, but it's far from an "everything is shit" scenario.

Maybe in a universe where the 1020 doesn't exist. That thing still stuns me every time I use it, I can't bring myself to sell it.
I'm with you and feel the same about my 1020 as you do. As of this week though, ATT put the 1020 in "end of life" status. It can't be bought new so you can say it doesn't exist now since you cant buy it even if you wanted to.

GDR1 came out in August. GDR2 should be out this month or next month, and Denim will begin rolling out in a similar timeframe. The 630 is a definite upgrade over the 520 and costs about as much as that phone did when it was first released (you can already find it for $50-$80 in a few places). The 530 seems more like a way to hit an even lower price point. Glance was recently updated with a few new features.

There are certainly areas of the OS that need improvement, and the lack of a new high end phone from Nokia (or at least offering the 930 in the US on carriers other than Verizon) is a glaring omission in the lineup, but it's far from an "everything is shit" scenario.

The Glance comment was more about how the phones got a neat little feature out of nowhere, which was nice and kept the devices fresh. Is GDR1 available without the Dev Preview or Denim? It's an honest question, because I really don't know. That would be nice. We got Live Folders with 8.1.1. What's next with 8.1.2?

Price points are obviously a regional thing. We never had some crazy deals like the Lumia 520 for $49. That thing launched for €199 and even months later I got my mom one for €160 (cheapest price). Now it's finally around €90. The cheapest price for the 630 right now is around €130, I think. The 530 costs the same as the 520, but launched for less. So yeah, perhaps I just didn't see through the confusing naming scheme and I should stop comparing the 530 to the 520. My bad.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked up an 830 (came with green and black covers). In the process of installing all my apps again, charging etc., so not much of an impression yet other than it looks and feels great and I would have to really squint to see the screen difference between it and my 920 even though the 930 is larger.

stktt

Banned
The Glance comment was more about how the phones got a neat little feature out of nowhere, which was nice and kept the devices fresh. Is GDR1 available without the Dev Preview or Denim? It's an honest question, because I really don't know. That would be nice. We got Live Folders with 8.1.1. What's next with 8.1.2?

Price points are obviously a regional thing. We never had some crazy deals like the Lumia 520 for $49. That thing launched for €199 and even months later I got my mom one for €160 (cheapest price). Now it's finally around €90. The cheapest price for the 630 right now is around €130, I think. The 530 costs the same as the 520, but launched for less. So yeah, perhaps I just didn't see through the confusing naming scheme and I should stop comparing the 530 to the 520. My bad.

I had no idea pricing for the 520/530 was so bad over there. No wonder you're upset about it.

MCD

Just picked up an 830 (came with green and black covers). In the process of installing all my apps again, charging etc., so not much of an impression yet other than it looks and feels great and I would have to really squint to see the screen difference between it and my 920 even though the 930 is larger.

How's the processor? Any slowness?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This is probably boring and ordinary to most people, but my old farty mind got blown.

Somebody accidentally grabbed my phone and took off with it. I thought it was stolen. I locked it, erased it and tracked it, instantly.

Dude realized he had wrong phone. Brought it back. And fifteen minutes later my phoen was precisely back at the state I lost it in.

Feels good man.

This is probably boring and ordinary to most people, but my old farty mind got blown.

Somebody accidentally grabbed my phone and took off with it. I thought it was stolen. I locked it, erased it and tracked it, instantly.

Dude realized he had wrong phone. Brought it back. And fifteen minutes later my phoen was precisely back at the state I lost it in.

Feels good man.
Did the guy have a WP too?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Getting hung up on mobile processors is so 2013.

And yet half this thread is wanting something newer than the 930 because reasons.

Where did you get it from? Rogers?

dLMN8R

WP Central did a thorough comparison between the 830 and the 920:

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-830-vs-lumia-920

The speed difference is worse than I thought - I knew the 830 would be worse in some ways, but it's not enough faster in other ways than I thought it would be.

Oh well :-/

I'm still planning to get it when released since the advantages it does offer outweigh the rest, and it's a better fit for what I want than the HTC One M8.

I know no one with Windows Phones. They're really good phones. I have a phone with 7.5 and despite the 512mb ram, it works well for everyday usage.

I know no one with Windows Phones. They're really good phones. I have a phone with 7.5 and despite the 512mb ram, it works well for everyday usage.
I sold a friend on my 520 with 8.1 but he's with t-mobile and can't update so he's upset at me now and still uses his old blackberry.

I got tired of bitching a long time ago but I will say this again: we need more hardware, please :(

my 1020 acts funny every day and the battery is at its worst.
This is how I feel. I know there are downsides to the platform and I am okay with that. I honestly like it and when I use my wife's android I miss my phone.

But my 920 is getting worse and worse. More and more freezes, bugs, worse battery. But I am not going to spend hundreds upgrading to something that's been out for years when something should be around the corner. I think the most annoying thing right now is that there is something up with my screen that causes it to call Cortana up. So when I'm trying to type or do something all of a sudden it switches to Cortana. Stop!!! Stop!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, the older your phone gets the less and less the phone makers care. Every OS and firmware update is made to run off the newer chipsets and hardware. Tests to make these updates run on your older phone are done but it's not high on their priority to make them run well. It simply isn't in the phone makers best interest. They want you to buy a new phone.

Yeah we thought updates would be different on "our" platform compared to iOS/android but it isn't.

I know there's a lot of doom and gloom here lately but on the bright side, we are the clear #3. And doing well in markets other than China and the US.

I visit Mexico occasionally and I do see more Nokias there than here in the US; 520s, 620/630s, and 1320s mostly. Rich brats still own iPhones. The majority still own dumbphones.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Also, we DO have a flapship phone this fall on at&t: the One. If you don't take a lot of pictures, the phone comes with the 801 chip set, excellent battery life, best in class speakers, amazing display, great front facing camera, and the best phone design this year hands down. I've been using the android version for months now and it's the best phone HTC has ever made, the dot view case is legitimately cool.

It's really unfortunate that camera on One M8 is so bad or i would jump back in but it look like this would be perfect phone for my son. He hardly take pictures and spend most of his time watching YouTube on his phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
As a media consumption device, it's top tier. Boom sound speakers, among the best 1080p screens in the world, and 32gb base model with SD expansion.

PG2G

I'm considering the One, I just feel like the Nokia devices are going to consistently get cool features that non Nokia wont.

I'm considering the One, I just feel like the Nokia devices are going to consistently get cool features that non Nokia wont.
This is me. And I still (naively?) have hope that something from MS on the Lumia front is coming out to take flagship status.

Also, the camera is one of my favorite things about my 920.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So far im definitely pleased with the 830. Performance with my main apps seems better like Twitter which tended to be slow on loading for me before(such as peoples profile pics in tweets). Xbox Music also is faster and I almost doubled the amount of songs from.my 920.

Going from 32gb to 80gb is great (can't do that on 920 or 930). Screen looks better as well. It is closer to the glass and I was able to configure the color profile more to my liking.

You still get the odds resuming and loading. However some apps probably are yet to be optimized for 8.1.

Still need more time with it, but im happy.

Top Bottom