• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heretic

If you hold the volume up button at the starting point of boot it will go to a static gear/lightning bolt screen. No progress bar. You can let it sit there for a couple of hours while the battery fills up, and then reboot the device and let it boot into the spinning gears screen.

That is if you can alter bootflow in the middle of the update process. I'm pretty sure you can, but can't verify right now.

Hope you can get it sorted.

IT'S STARTING BACK UP!!! *crosses fingers*

catmincer

I want to go back to 8.0 at this point. The music player is really that bad. It goes black when I try and do anything in it. I have to go to home and re open it. Also at the end of every song it makes a hideous loud popping noise before the next song starts.

Commodore

19cngkl0gsi6hgif.gif

Cortana said this to me instead:

soL9Qyjl.jpg

I sort of squeeled. She even did the long inflections.

btw, using this as a background. Looks smooth and simple.

Qz5Ok9ul.jpg

MarkusRJR

So my friend/coworker dropped her iPhone today and after testing out my Lumia 625 decided she wants to try out WP8. She is pretty tech smart and had a Lumia 900 in the past which she enjoyed. Looking at the cheaper options (under $500) she seems to like the look of the 925 and 930. Considering the 930 isn't due for a few months and she needs a new phone, is the 925 a good phone? No common defects or anything to be aware of?

Also, does anyone have any experience with Negri Electronics? She's wants to buy it off there but I've never heard of it before.

maeh2k

So my friend/coworker dropped her iPhone today and after testing out my Lumia 625 decided she wants to try out WP8. She is pretty tech smart and had a Lumia 900 in the past which she enjoyed. Looking at the cheaper options (under $500) she seems to like the look of the 925 and 930. Considering the 930 isn't due for a few months and she needs a new phone, is the 925 a good phone? No common defects or anything to be aware of?

Also, does anyone have any experience with Negri Electronics? She's wants to buy it off there but I've never heard of it before.

You can't really go wrong with the higher-end Nokias. Just be aware that the hardware of the 920/925/928/1020 is basically the same and in terms of CPU/GPU they aren't in the same league as the 930/1520/Icon.

Looking at the website of that store, the HTC 8X would be a good option, too. It's available starting at $250. It's not as well-made as the 925, but if it's significantly cheaper...

Does anyone know of any apps that can allow you to pin websites to the home screen with a custom tile image? I'm trying to replace a couple of the websites I have pinned with transparent versions so more of the background fades through.

MarkusRJR

You can't really go wrong with the higher-end Nokias. Just be aware that the hardware of the 920/925/928/1020 is basically the same and in terms of CPU/GPU they aren't in the same league as the 930/1520/Icon.

Looking at the website of that store, the HTC 8X would be a good option, too. It's available starting at $250. It's not as well-made as the 925, but if it's significantly cheaper...
Just showed her the 8X and her response was literally disgust. Don't know why, but everyone I know seems to think HTC phones are on the same level as chinese phones.

But yeah she seems set on the 925, mainly due to aesthetics I think. Oh well.

The clear tiles are gorgeous, although why some are and others aren't seems a bit random. Had to switch up my layout so it didn't look off.

Just showed her the 8X and her response was literally disgust. Don't know why, but everyone I know seems to think HTC phones are on the same level as chinese phones.

HTC is a Chinese phone... and 8X while nice like many HTC have some quality control and lack of updates.

I think she will be happier with the 925.

Yeah, the 925 is a nice phone. If she goes for it, make sure she gets the 925's Wireless charging case and a QI wireless charger. Its pretty much the only thing that the model is missing in comparison to the 920

No it's not. HTC is Taiwanese and is definitely not on the level of Chinese manufacturers.

Taiwanese are Chinese, but I know what you mean. You are thinking like Xiaomi or Huawei, HTC does make nice looking phone but I always read about problem with them like buttons on the 8X breaking, or the case color peeling off.

Taiwanese are Chinese, but I know what you mean. You are thinking like Xiaomi or Huawei, HTC does make nice looking phone but I always read about problem with them like buttons on the 8X breaking, or the case color peeling off.

And the fact that they'll completely abandon every phone as soon as it's released.

maeh2k

The background image doesn't seem to work for secondary tiles. For the Microsoft Weather app the main tile gets the background image, but if I pin a location, it just gets the solid accent color.

Edit: I mean at least it doesn't work automatically. Might work with other apps or if the apps specifically account for backgrounds.

Paganmoon

Is there anyway to get custom tiles for IE links? That is if a site doesn't have the overlay (like GAF does).

Edit:

Oh, and anyone know if there are any plans to ever open API to the Phone-part of the phone, so that apps can read incoming phone-numbers and do a search on whitepages (or other services) when the caller isn't in your phonebook? It's probably the biggest feature I've been missing since I changed from Android.

hadareud

The Translator
There's a pretty horrendous bug with streaming podcasts btw: it eats up data like there's no tomorrow.

I thought this was a bug in Podcasts2Go (it used about 3gig of mobile data last month), but the bug also exists in 8.1 in the native podcast app.

I listened to less than half a podcast on my way to work this morning (the whole podcast is around 102mb) and the podcast app used 245mb of data. This bug didn't exist until about a month ago as far as I can tell.

Who do I report this to and where do I report it?

Nero3000

Ok the Xbox Music app is atrocious.

- Performance is bad
- Live tile is bad
- No scrubber still
- New items is gone
- History is gone
- At least there is a proper search function now

Considering it took the Xbox music team a year to sort out the Windows 8 version, i have little hope to a quick iteration on this app.

What this needs:

- Serious performance tune up
- Scrubber!
- The opening panorama needs to be Collection/History/New/Get Music
- Need to be able to do more sorting on album list (by date added, year released etc. in line with the W8.1 app)

Joe confirmed that an update to the music app is on the way.

Better be a big one!

EDIT: Thank fuck for that. After browsing the internet, listening to music is probably my #2 activity on a smartphone.

I love the notification, and finally separate volume control, hopefully they also fix the volume bug.

Not like the de-coupling of Facebook from People Hub, wife not going to like that, but it seems to fix the "Cannot Access Data" error in Facebook app. I am sure that was the problem that they could not resolve. It's nice though that at least you can see Facebook contact still and app are readily available but would be nice if somehow App can send notification to people hub also.

There's a pretty horrendous bug with streaming podcasts btw: it eats up data like there's no tomorrow.

I thought this was a bug in Podcasts2Go (it used about 3gig of mobile data last month), but the bug also exists in 8.1 in the native podcast app.

I listened to less than half a podcast on my way to work this morning (the whole podcast is around 102mb) and the podcast app used 245mb of data. This bug didn't exist until about a month ago as far as I can tell.

Who do I report this to and where do I report it?

I would forward you to Rob Greenlee, the Podcast guy at MS, but he quit recently. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kharma45

How are you guys finding it on 512MB devices? My 620 has chugged a bit at times, considering it's supposed to be designed from the bottom up rather than top down I'm a bit surprised.

Still irked that you can't have mobile data as one of the quick toggles in the Action Centre.

PG2G

José Mourinho;108226839 said:
Will universal app purchase only apply to Windows and Windows Phone? Or is Xbox included in there too, for that latest Halo game for example?

Universal Apps for Xbox One is a coming soon feature.

I am surprised to see that Spartan assault now shows as owned to me. I only purchased the Windows 8 version.

kharma45

Universal Apps for Xbox One is a coming soon feature.

I am surprised to see that Spartan assault now shows as owned to me. I only purchased the Windows 8 version.

I wih I'd bought it now when it was on offer at whatever price it was so I could play it on phone and on PC. Guess it'll go on promotion again at some point.

Not like the de-coupling of Facebook from People Hub, wife not going to like that, but it seems to fix the "Cannot Access Data" error in Facebook app. I am sure that was the problem that they could not resolve. It's nice though that at least you can see Facebook contact still and app are readily available but would be nice if somehow App can send notification to people hub also.

Yeah it takes away a lot for me too. And the contacts that I haven't got on FB all lost their profile picture since apparantly it doesn't scrub LinkedIn profiles any more which it did on 8.0.

I consider this part a serious downgrade even over WP7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom