• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

KageMaru

Just noticed that games now appear in the app list. That's good, a few people I know had trouble finding games they downloaded because they didn't show up on the app list.

Problem is it makes the games hub useless, especially since it needs to load your games list every time you open it. I don't understand why it needs to load the games when they are already available in the app list.

Depends on what you want:

Camera: 1020
Phablet: 1520
Wireless charging: 920
Sex: 925

The OS runs the same on all of these.

OS runs very similarly but the app/games don't.

Magni

Ask Cortana what does the fox say?. :)

Cortana is very hit or miss. Sometimes, she'll get very "complicated" words right, and then she'll fuck up twenty times in a row. She will NOT understand the word "fox". Even when it starts writing "fox" it switches to "f***" or "box" by the time I'm done talking. (fuck censorship by the way).

Ask her who Satya Nadella is. She understood "who is the NFL" when I asked her. Most disappointing part of the update for me, but I don't care, I'm just glad MS had the brilliance of letting us interact with her by text.

So, can anyone sell me on Cortana? I realize she can do a lot of shit, but I've never been on the "personal voice assistant" bandwagon but want to give this a fair shake.

Lastflowers had some great examples. How are other people using her/it/whatever?

Cortana is very hit or miss. Sometimes, she'll get very "complicated" words right, and then she'll fuck up twenty times in a row. She will NOT understand the word "fox". Even when it starts writing "fox" it switches to "f***" or "box" by the time I'm done talking. (fuck censorship by the way).

Ask her who Satya Nadella is. She understood "who is the NFL" when I asked her. Most disappointing part of the update for me, but I don't care, I'm just glad MS had the brilliance of letting us interact with her by text.

It has been hit or miss on SOME things for me, but overall she's been accurate. My friend's name is "Thato" (pronounced TOT-oh) and she spelled it right on the first try, but the second and third she didn't recognize it. On the fourth, she recognized it again, though she repeated it as THAT-oh.

I had an impressive/disappointing moment with her when I asked her to "move my X appointment to 5". The first two times, she read "to 5" as "2 5", but the last time she recognized it...and then said she can't modify recurring appointments (which this was). I was happy she at least recognized what I was asking, though.

The Flash

Banned
lf3Mjkb.png

I hope more apps allow for clear backgrounds

Razdek

Banned

Yea I won't too impressed with Cortana but you can see the potential of it. If it ever reaches it and becomes more accurate then it can be pretty useful. The beta moniker is justified.

zedge

Anyone notice the phone seems to get warmer when using it? Just browsing around and the back of my 920 is pretty toasty.

Still playing with home screen.

886L7py.jpg

PG2G

Anyone else notice that Cortana's voice recognition is significantly better than the voice to text elsewhere is the OS (like in text messaging)?

MarkusRJR

When will 8.1 release officially in Canada? I'm way too lazy to take the effort to get 8.1 now, especially since Cortana isn't going to work even if I do.

Totakeke

It was shit, Messenger is so much better. Makes sense for them to remove that functionality.

As someone who doesn't message that often, it was convenient.

Guess time to download the facebook messenger and skype apps. Wait, wasn't skype integrated in 8.1?

GreyWind

I think we can all agree that the Xbox music app is a piece of crap.

In my opinion Zune + the PC client was perfect, loved the easy access when it came to syncing your pictures and music with your phone. I can't believe Microsoft discontinued Zune and forgot about it.

Heretic

Ask Cortana to tell you a story.

I can't :( I'm stuck at the gears and my battery doesn't have enough juice the complete the install. I think I'm fucked...

Tried to update and it kept randomly rebooting at while on the gears screen. Been doing this for the past 3 hours.

As a whole the update is very impressive. A couple of big features and a lot of small ones add to the OS feeling much more connected, cohesive, and "smart".

Random comments:
-I never screamed for a notification center like it was end times, but damn it is useful.
-Cortana is pretty cool. If nothing else, it's great to have a single place to find or do anything on the phone, even if you didn't know how to do it. I was impressed when I said "How long will it take me to drive to [listed a full address]" and it pulled up a mini map of the route, told me how long it would take (although it was about twice as long as it should and did take...) and asked if I wanted directions. On the other hand, I was disappointed when I said "Add current location as home" and it did a Bing search for "current location". That's right in Cortana's notebook, so I expected that to work.
-As a commuter, I listen to podcasts quite a bit, so having a separate dedicated app is pretty nice. Looks like things are a little buggy though, I added a couple new podcasts to DL when I got to wifi at home and they just disappeared off the DL list after while. I re-added them and the same thing happened.
-Data sense, FUCK YOU AT&T! My data use though, lol
-How do you add third-party apps to the notification center? ESPN and WP Central are on there, but they are the only third-party apps on there. Can't get FB, Twitter, FB Messenger, etc to show up there...
-IE 11 is a pretty great improvement in a number of areas
-Games in the app list, yuck. I understand why they did it, and you can make an argument for it being that way by default, but I hope they introduce an option to keep then in the Games hub with Update 1.
-They announced today that you could start submitting universal apps, but it looks like they already enabled it for some of their own. I never purchased Spartan Assault on my phone. Pretty cool

stktt

Banned
I think we can all agree that the Xbox music app is a piece of crap.

It offers more functionality than the old music hub, but the lack of a live tile, sluggish performance, and constant crashing are inexcusable, even for something that's technically a preview.

Razdek

Banned
In my opinion Zune + the PC client was perfect, loved the easy access when it came to syncing your pictures and music with your phone. I can't believe Microsoft discontinued Zune and forgot about it.

I understand why they ditched the Zune app because it has the stink of failure on it but to release an app as bad as the Xbox music is inexcusable.

Everdred

Any idea why Cortana doesn't answer any of my questions like you guys are experiencing. I did the "Tell me a story" and "Do an impression" etc but nothing works. I'm on a 1520 in the U.S., all apps up to date.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I can't :( I'm stuck at the gears and my battery doesn't have enough juice the complete the install. I think I'm fucked...

Tried to update and it kept randomly rebooting at while on the gears screen. Been doing this for the past 3 hours.

Shit :(

Maybe have to keep it plugged over night.

Can you hold the volume up while booting to get the static gear symbol? I would suggest doing that and leaving it plugged in for a couple of hours before rebooting.

Heretic

How much battery did you have when you started the process?
Full battery.. It kept restarting while it ran through the gears. It eventually killed my battery and this is where I'm at now.

Can you hold the volume up while booting to get the static gear symbol? I would suggest doing that and leaving it plugged in for a couple of hours before rebooting.

I can get to the gears screen and it'll move up a centimeter or two and then it'll randomly reboot and I'll get the low battery image. Gonna let it sit for a month or two. If it doesn't work after that I'm going android.

If you hold the volume up button at the starting point of boot it will go to a static gear/lightning bolt screen. No progress bar. You can let it sit there for a couple of hours while the battery fills up, and then reboot the device and let it boot into the spinning gears screen.

That is if you can alter bootflow in the middle of the update process. I'm pretty sure you can, but can't verify right now.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Full battery.. It kept restarting while it ran through the gears. It eventually killed my battery and this is where I'm at now.

I can get to the gears screen and it'll move up a centimeter or two and then it'll randomly reboot and I'll get the low battery image. Gonna let it sit for a month or two. If it doesn't work after that I'm going android.

Hope you can get it sorted.

The live tile for music was the best :/

It was even better in Windows Phone 7. I still miss that feature. Honestly, going even further back, the Zune/HD had a much better interface (and lock screen music animations) than what Xbox Music has evolved into. I didn't renew my sub this year because the experience has just gotten worse in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom