• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaggedSac

I love the notification, and finally separate volume control, hopefully they also fix the volume bug.

Not like the de-coupling of Facebook from People Hub, wife not going to like that, but it seems to fix the "Cannot Access Data" error in Facebook app. I am sure that was the problem that they could not resolve. It's nice though that at least you can see Facebook contact still and app are readily available but would be nice if somehow App can send notification to people hub also.

I keep seeing people say their people hub is decoupled with Faceboook. Mine is working as expected. Did you download the new app? In fact, it looks to be how it should have been from the start with its openness to third parties.

Wtf, is long hold to move cursor gone? Just tried to fix my spelling of Facebook up there, but fuck it.

Sordid

Is there a way to edit all app sounds at once? When I go to manage app sounds in the ringtone section only a few apps are there.

I keep seeing people say their people hub is decoupled with Faceboook. Mine is working as expected. Did you download the new app? In fact, it looks to be how it should have been from the start with its openness to third parties.

Wtf, is long hold to move cursor gone? Just tried to fix my spelling of Facebook up there, but fuck it.

Now there is a little circle under the cursor that you use, just tap the cursor for it to appear. Tap a word to start selecting text.

maeh2k

Current start screen:
wp_ss_20140415.png

I think I'll stick with three columns and maybe even with the background image.

kharma45

Well after a day or so now I kind of want to go back to WP8.

This build of 8.1 isn't performing too well on my 620. Seems to overwhelm the hardware.

This thread is finally moving at the right pace. We were starved for too long.

Give it a few days we will be going back to self-loathing bunch. So far I really like 8.1 and notification hub is really something needed along with quick access to commonly use setting. They still have few more things they need to fix (like the ever expanding and confusing setting, I still can't find where the "sign in" went. Phone finally finish update while I was driving to work and I sort of went through the process real quick when I got to work. I notice it did ask me to "sign in" permission for G-mail but I sort of quickly went past other stuff. May be that's why my Facebook is not working as intended according Jagged. I will play with it some more when I am done with work.

hadareud

The Translator
Just did a hard reset, because you know, I'm a bit of a dick, and while everything has been restored (including the home screen, which is nice), my IE favourites are gone.

Also, still no universal login like on W8.1, have to sign into every MS app separately. Which is a pain in the hole. Boooo!

JaggedSac

Give it a few days we will be going back to self-loathing bunch. So far I really like 8.1 and notification hub is really something needed along with quick access to commonly use setting. They still have few more things they need to fix (like the ever expanding and confusing setting, I still can't find where the "sign in" went. Phone finally finish update while I was driving to work and I sort of went through the process real quick when I got to work. I notice it did ask me to "sign in" permission for G-mail but I sort of quickly went past other stuff. May be that's why my Facebook is not working as intended according Jagged. I will play with it some more when I am done with work.

One thing you can check is when you go to a contact, swipe to Connect, does Facebook show up there? And when you click on it, does it take you to your contact's Facebook page? Also, does Facebook show up under What's New where it says "showing" in the People Hub?

hadareud said:
Also, still no universal login like on W8.1, have to sign into every MS app separately. Which is a pain in the hole. Boooo!

I didn't/haven't had to do that. What apps specifically?

PG2G

So I am trying to do my normal Tuesday morning routine of finding new releases on Xbox Music and I can't figure it out.

The store doesn't have music anymore and Xbox music had useless categories for finding me releases because they just lost the top stuff when you look by genre...

hadareud

The Translator
The bing apps are fine, onedrive and office too.

Really just seems to be Skype. Alright then, I'll let you off this time Joe.

Well after a day or so now I kind of want to go back to WP8.

This build of 8.1 isn't performing too well on my 620. Seems to overwhelm the hardware.
I found my 820 was struggling with it at the beginning when I was installing a bunch of apps and jumping in and out of settings, testing all the new stuff. Kind of had me concerned as to how it would run on the lower end devices, but it seems to be trucking along just fine now that I'm not frantically in and out of app after app, screen after screen. But I'm not surprised that some people would be having issues.

Over all I'm loving it though.

MCD

I asked my friend to confirm this since I don't have 8.1 installed: Nope, GIFs are still unplayable under the Photos app.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The people hub is fine for me. I still have facebook pictures, what's new etc?

If you are using the Facebook beta app, uninstall it and get the regular one.

Chorazin

Only bugs I've had so far were with Glance staying active (and that was fixed by going into the Glace settings and restarting when it asked) and my Combined Inbox locking up (fixed with a reboot).

Still seems smooth and fast on my 1020, so I can deal with a few minor things to enjoy all the new stuff. :)

Any idea how I can change Cortana to change to Celcius for the weather by default?

You have to ask her what the weather is in Celsius. I think it is a bug, because it will then show you weather in Celsius by default until you exit close the app. Fahrenheit is meaningless to me.

Razdek

Banned
So I am trying to do my normal Tuesday morning routine of finding new releases on Xbox Music and I can't figure it out.

The store doesn't have music anymore and Xbox music had useless categories for finding me releases because they just lost the top stuff when you look by genre...

That app is a mess and I use the music app everyday which makes it worst. If they don't fix it by the time my renewal comes I'd seriously consider dropping my subscription.

Razdek

Banned
You have to ask her what the weather is in Celsius. I think it is a bug, because it will then show you weather in Celsius by default until you exit close the app. Fahrenheit is meaningless to me.

Fahrenheit is meaningless to people outside the US but since Cortana is supposed to be US only it makes sense for now.

That app is a mess and I use the music app everyday which makes it worst. If they don't fix it by the time my renewal comes I'd seriously reconsider dropping my subscription.

I'm probably going to switch back to Spotify. Multi platform support is better and as new Windows Phone app is coming too.

PG2G

That app is a mess and I use the music app everyday which makes it worst. If they don't fix it by the time my renewal comes I'd seriously consider dropping my subscription.

Agreed, though I can't imagine all the major applications being updated (Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Music, etc) by the time the first WP8.1 device hits retail in May. That really needs to be their drop dead date. Can't have extremely half baked phones on stores shelves and in demos.

It seems Calendar is decoupled from the OS now, hope the same is true for Mail because we haven't seen any updates to functionality there either.

Is the ability to block background apps gone?

It is in Battery Sense

Paganmoon

I'm probably going to switch back to Spotify. Multi platform support is better and as new Windows Phone app is coming too.

Switched back to Spotify with 8.1 and got reminded of the quirks that made me dislike it so much, won't resume the song it was playing if you pause it for more than a minute, seems to always start the app to the first screen, and not last place you were etc...

No, why?

I don't understand why everyone keeps saying that the people hub is worse now. Once you downloaded the default facebook app and let it access the phone everything is back.

Linkedin works fine for me in the people hub too.

I'm not talking about the People hub, I'm talking about the Me tile. It no longer provides Facebook notifications (I'm not sure if it still shows Twitter notifications, as I rarely use it) on the live tile and the Notifications pivot/area of it just says "Social notifications now show in the action center".

Linkedin works fine for me in the people hub too.

You are right, I just noticed the LinkedIn profile pics reappearing. Must have taken a while to donwload everyhting I guess.

Now add Skype as native Messaging app in the hub and fix the Music app, and I'm as good as done!

Bullza2o

My phone died twice randomly and I had to soft reset each time. I hope this won't be a chronic problem. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

JaggedSac

I'm not talking about the People hub, I'm talking about the Me tile. It no longer provides Facebook notifications (I'm not sure if it still shows Twitter notifications, as I rarely use it) on the live tile and the Notifications pivot/area of it just says "Social notifications now show in the action center".

Yep, notifications on the Me tile is now gone. Whats New will still show Facebook related updates on it though.

PG2G

What's New is just showing your own Facebook/Twitter pages, which is probably useless for most people. They put the posts up so they don't really need to read them. I guess if other people post to your Facebook wall it shows up, but that isn't common enough for me.

I'm still keeping it pinned though, just because the tile makes everything feel nice and personal

Is Cortana supposed to be able to acknowledge the address you have listed for a contact? I said "Give me direction's to [my friend's] house" and she didn't know what to do. The address is listed in his profile.

EDIT: Overall, I am enjoying Cortana, though I don't know how much I'll get out of her. I'm the kind of person that needs lots of reminders and has to-do lists, so she's kinda perfect for that.

Really weird to refer to an app as a person, btw.

A new developer feature is the ability to roam application data. That means if the developer implements it, you can hard-reset your phone or buy another one and still keep data from your app.

I'm not sure of the applicability to games, but I assume this still applies to games, but am unaware of the exact details.

Is Cortana supposed to be able to acknowledge the address you have listed for a contact? I said "Give me direction's to [my friend's] house" and she didn't know what to do. The address is listed in his profile.

if it doesn't now, it should in the future. Cortana will start to adapt to how people want to use her

hadareud

The Translator
your IE favorites and bookmarks should be backed up and roamed. Sign into your MSA and they should sync back to your phone.

Usually it does. Not this time though :(

My Surface 2 tabs aren't there either.

edit: strangely enough, my browsing history was there. Some sort of a bug, I guess. Sorry, I meant feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom