• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing you can check is when you go to a contact, swipe to Connect, does Facebook show up there? And when you click on it, does it take you to your contact's Facebook page? Also, does Facebook show up under What's New where it says "showing" in the People Hub?

I didn't/haven't had to do that. What apps specifically?
I have to open and sign back into the app then it work. Thanks.

zedge

Action centre is great but I wish it did not just go to the single message. If I have multiple emails I have click them individually. If I click one it should take me to the email app and I should be able to go to the next message there. Seems like an odd way of handling things. Hope they change this.

Paganmoon

If I press a mail I like that it goes to that specific one, but I'd like the option to longpress and remove said mail, without going into the mailapp.

PG2G

Action centre is great but I wish it did not just go to the single message. If I have multiple emails I have click them individually. If I click one it should take me to the email app and I should be able to go to the next message there. Seems like an odd way of handling things. Hope they change this.

I think people would complain if it was the way you suggested. It would be best if the mail stop had s button that would take you back to the inbox

I totally agree, was thinking this myself.

Lucius86

Banned
Man the battery on the 920 drains fast

Yeah, I thought that too, but after each software update normally it takes a few power cycles for the battery to settle down and report 'correctly'.

I just asked what the weather would be like on Saturday as I'm hosting a BBQ. Apparently Saturday sounds like 'sex toy'. She still worked it out, bless Cortana.

hadareud

The Translator
Is there an option to have her learn names btw?

She certainly doesn't like all the forrin' sounding names on my phone. Unfortunately not all of my contacts are called Dave.

Chorazin

I think people would complain if it was the way you suggested. It would be best if the mail stop had s button that would take you back to the inbox

If you tap Inbox instead of the individual email, it'll take you to your main inbox and you can select and delete multiples as usual. Handy if you just got a bunch of crap mails you don't want to read.

Commodore

Cortana tip that might be old news to a few of you but: If you long press the search button, it jumps to voice mode directly, negating a double press.

hwalker84

Just received a facebook notification. Didn't touch the phone or respond to it and my screen never shut back off. I let it sit for over 5 minutes (My screen timeout is 30 seconds).

kharma45

Can someone explain this to me?

I only said Tell me a story... And the contact it tries to find a phone number for doesn't exactly rime with "tell me a story"

That's all I'm getting from her. Cortana rarely actually responds to questions like 'Do you like Apple' to me. It understands fine then either does that or just searches the web for that question.

Chorazin

So it looks like I can tell Cortana to play my current Audible book, but I can't get the command right, she just searches. :(

On the other hand, it seems like 8.1 handles commands from Bluetooth headphones a ton better.

Just noticed an interesing bug/glitch -

Got an incoming call that I didn't want to answer, so I let it go through to voicemail - as per usual, the phone rang with my current ringtone (Game of Thrones theme tune) and then it dropped.

30 seconds later, I heard the same ringtone - but for the notifiation of a voicemail. Which is really awful. I would have thought a voicemail notification would be the default system beep...but apparently not.

Unless there is a setting I can adjust?

EDIT: And I just found it. :) My bad!

Switched back to Spotify with 8.1 and got reminded of the quirks that made me dislike it so much, won't resume the song it was playing if you pause it for more than a minute, seems to always start the app to the first screen, and not last place you were etc...

That's because the current app was developed in 2011 and it's terrible in pretty much every way. It's rumored that a new version, which is supposed to be on par with the iOS and Android one, is on its way, but there's no confirmation yet.

Klocker

Cortana tip that might be old news to a few of you but: If you long press the search button, it jumps to voice mode directly, negating a double press.

Yes but did they remove the option to long press from lock screen to open voice? Long press from lock used to go directly to Bing voice search. Why wouldn't it now go to Cortana?

Klocker

You long press the search key not the home button.
Could have sworn it was long hold search from lock brought up voice search in bing but perhaps it was home key?

Regardless you should be able to call up Cortana from a long hold at lock screen, dontcha think? :)

hwalker84

Could have sworn it was long hold search from lock brought up voice search in bing but perhaps it was home key?

Regardless you should be able to call up Cortana from a long hold at lock screen, dontcha think? :)
Maybe I'm lost on what you're asking but in WP8.1 from the lock screen a long hold of the search key brings up Cortana.

venne

Can you ask Cortana to scan barcodes or translate some text in front of you? If not that would be dumb

Didn't work when I just tried it. :- /

I'm surprised there isn't an eye icon next to the music icon. Seems odd to drop that functionality. Hopefully I'm just overlooking it.

Edit: thanks for the tip. It was silly to bury it in the camera app instead of leaving it in search IMO.

Edit 2: Is there a way to pin 'bing vision'? I can't seem to do it.

How do I make Cortana say my name. She refuses to speak!

Call me Master Chief damn it!

And is turning on the phone to search from the lock screen gone?

EDIT: Not lock screen, I mean sleep. Is it no longer an option to wake up from sleep to do a search?

f0lken

How do I make Cortana say my name. She refuses to speak!

Call me Master Chief damn it!

And is turning on the phone to search from the lock screen gone?

EDIT: Not lock screen, I mean sleep. Is it no longer an option to wake up from sleep to do a search?

Seriously, I am all like this

Say_My_Name_a_l.jpg

Say my name!!

Any reason of why they removed the bing vision from the search button? The music search is still there, can't see the reason for removing the view.

(I know I can just bring up the lens on the camera app, but it's not the same :()

Also, does the app has to support "Go to XXX" app? This command works for facebook, but not for many others, Cortana just brings me a web search (properly recognizing what I said, though).

hwalker84

Any reason of why they removed the bing vision from the search button? The music search is still there, can't see the reason for removing the view.

(I know I can just bring up the lens on the camera app, but it's not the same :()

Also, does the app has to support "Go to XXX" app? This command works for facebook, but not for many others, Cortana just brings me a web search (properly recognizing what I said, though).

I think you can just say launch "spades" not "go to".

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one getting adds on my paid 6tag? Also, its live tile does not work - neither does the Amazing Weather one.

6Tag and Amazing Weather are fine for me.

The Games app already got an update. Don't think it did anything noticeable. The force the app update check worked fine.

Paganmoon

Sorry to repeat myself, but is there any info out, if Microsoft will open up the Phone API, so that apps can read incoming phonenumbers, and look them up on Whitepages/yellow pages? One thing with Android I loved, when I got calls from numbers I didn't know.

Is someone doing an 8.1 OT?

I believe it's being posted in conjunction with the official 8.1 release, with new phones etc.

More like aqueduct...
Lol I did that on my 920, laughed for a solid 2 minutes, and switched it back.

Looks like quite a few of you guys are using the extra column though. I might play around with it later today.
The people hub is fine for me. I still have facebook pictures, what's new etc?

If you are using the Facebook beta app, uninstall it and get the regular one.
Yeah I have the same functionality in people as before with facebook, it just appears to be tied to the facebook app instead of linked as an account to the phone itself. From a end user perspective, the experience is the same.
OMG, Twitter notifications started working again. It's a miracle!!!
Twitter notifications have always worked for me.

-------

MS should go universal for Xbox music. It took a while, but the 8.1 app is very solid now.

My 920 battery is getting destroyed, hopefully it'll settle.

Raistlin

I'm starting to think I might move to Android for my next phone?

Nokia/MS have completely fucked up their release schedule in the US with carrier lock. As a 920 owner on AT&T, what phone am I supposed to be looking forward to? The 930 won't be happening. How do you not have a successor to a (relatively) popular phone on a carrier?

It's pretty ridiculous really. If they're going to pull this kind of shit, they should at least come up with an antenna config for international version that can run on AT&T/Rogers and T-Mobile :\

MCD

I'm starting to think I might move to Android for my next phone?

Nokia/MS have completely fucked up their release schedule in the US with carrier lock. As a 920 owner on AT&T, what phone am I supposed to be looking forward to? The 930 won't be happening. How do you not have a successor to a (relatively) popular phone on a carrier?

It's pretty ridiculous really. If they're going to pull this kind of shit, they should at least come up with an antenna config for international version that can run on AT&T/Rogers and T-Mobile :\

Nokia is weak in the States. Hopefully MS will rebrand their phones to something Surface something when the acquisition is done.

Tomcat

Didn't work when I just tried it. :- /

I'm surprised there isn't an eye icon next to the music icon. Seems odd to drop that functionality. Hopefully I'm just overlooking it.

Edit: thanks for the tip. It was silly to bury it in the camera app instead of leaving it in search IMO.

Edit 2: Is there a way to pin 'bing vision'? I can't seem to do it.
You can tell Cortana to identify the song that is playing.
Is anyone having problems with 6 tag not updating the tile?

MS should go universal for Xbox music. It took a while, but the 8.1 app is very solid now.

My 920 battery is getting destroyed, hopefully it'll settle.

I believe the same people are working on both apps. I'd imagine as time progresses they'll align a bit more. Just a guess though.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I real love the new update. I'm on a Lumia 521, runs snappy, I love it!

I haven't figured out if there's a way to remove the "A-Z" app sorting. There doesn't appear to be, I wish they had fixed that! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom