• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCD

BTW

Some games are universal apps now? buy once, get it free on your desktop.

Still nothing on Xbox though.

NeOak

My emails won't synch on their own with 8.1 They are set for 30 mins intervals, but they just won't download unless I synch it manually.

Oh, and the alarm didn't sound either. I rebooted the phone like 4 hours later and then my wake up alarm decided to ring. At 10am.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My quiet hours come on randomly, even though I have assigned it specific hours. Very annoying, good thing I have my inner circle set up.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
liking Cortana. Random little features like saying get me bus directions to so and so and boom, gives me bus/metro directions.

venne

My wife has a battery issue, too.

Her Google account for work is in constant sync mode. . . . This is the second time I've had to mess with that particular issue.

kharma45

My battery just went from 100% charged to 13% despite being connected to the charger still. Odd behavior. I thought 8.1 would be a tad more polished at this stage.

nillapuddin

Looks like Ill make the switch at the end of the month

Any difference I should be looking for between the 920 and 925 besides the camera bump?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm not convinced that the people hub is better. A lot of the integration is gone, you have to go to the Facebook app to like and comment. In fact, the first party apps are all worse outside of IE. The only ray of hope is that they will now be updated without requiring an OS update.

Overall, the update is fantastic though.

venne

Anyone else having issues with Google accounts?

I read of a bug where two Google accounts would cause issues, so I deleted one and I still have issues. It says the remaining account is 'not up to date' on the account page.

Frustrating. . . .

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
My battery just went from 100% charged to 13% despite being connected to the charger still. Odd behavior. I thought 8.1 would be a tad more polished at this stage.

You mean the preview stage? I realize it's not a beta, but there is a reason it's not the main launch.

I'm not convinced that the people hub is better. A lot of the integration is gone, you have to go to the Facebook app to like and comment. In fact, the first party apps are all worse outside of IE. The only ray of hope is that they will now be updated without requiring an OS update.

Overall, the update is fantastic though.

This is preventing me from updating. I use the People Hub every day for exactly the kinds of things that it was advertised as being able to do when I got my phone. It's basically the perfect level of interaction I want with Facebook and Twitter, all in one place. I don't even have the standalone Twitter and Facebook apps installed, don't need them.

The Shift

Banned
Lumia 920 - one screen..hah I actually use Live Tiles!

fZUOG4P.png

Created a Games Hub using App Folder, makes that task a bit easier.

Is the Qi proprietary, should I buy straight from ATT? (Im assuming they will sell them instore)

Ive never messed around with this fancy charging science
Qi is the leading wireless charging standard which is winning against two other standards. Basically, everyone but ATT and Google backs it. So chances are, its going to win out.

Basically when you get a 920, you get a Qi compatible wireless charger (I suggest the Nokia ones because they are aesthetically pleasing and made to perfectly fit Nokia devices). You can get the wireless charger on Amazon, The Microsoft Store and a couple other places. Chances are, because ATT doesn't back the standard you wont be able to get the charger in their store.

nillapuddin

Qi is the leading wireless charging standard which is winning against two other standards. Basically, everyone but ATT and Google backs it. So chances are, its going to win out.

Basically when you get a 920, you get a Qi compatible wireless charger (I suggest the Nokia ones because they are aesthetically pleasing and made to perfectly fit Nokia devices). You can get the wireless charger on Amazon, The Microsoft Store and a couple other places. Chances are, because ATT doesn't back the standard you wont be able to get the charger in their store.

Gotcha, thanks for the info

So what kinda price range should I be looking at, looks like the Nokia brand is 50 bucks
Is this the kinda thing that I can skimp on and buy a third party cheapo off Amazon?

Gotcha, thanks for the info

So what kinda price range should I be looking at, looks like the Nokia brand is 50 bucks
Is this the kinda thing that I can skimp on and buy a third party cheapo off Amazon?
The Nokia one is around $50. But all Qi Wireless chargers should work as part of the standard. If you want to go third party, you can.

Edit:
I love being a programmer I got sick and tired of seeing some of my website tiles having opaque backgrounds; so, I went to the websites, ripped their Logos, Applied a Photoshop filter to make the text white, then 8 lines of code later I fixed my problem.

Persona7

Banned
Did anyone ever have a problem with system apps not receiving updates? I am trying to get them to update on my moms phone but the number on the store icon never pop up even after after two formats.

Even when I allow some apps through battery saver, they still get blocked :(

Also, I can't get the take screenshot command to work, was it removed, or just changed (Or it's not hold the win button and press the lock button?)

Edit: Never mind, I think I was during quiet hours, and I just found out the new combo for taking screen shots :p

Bullza2o

Did anyone ever have a problem with system apps not receiving updates? I am trying to get them to update on my moms phone but the number on the store icon never pop up even after after two formats.

You can go to Store settings and manually check for updates. It will then notify you via action center.

Even when I allow some apps through battery saver, they still get blocked :(

Also, I can't get the take screenshot command to work, was it removed, or just changed (Or it's not hold the win button and press the lock button?)

It's volume up + power button now.

hwalker84

Had a weird glitch. Something seemed off on my device (1520 w/ all apps moved to sdcard). Weave lost all its settings and acted like it was the first time I launched it. Rebooted the phone and all sdcard apps said unavailable and I lost my amazing weather lock screen. After a minute or so all the apps showed up.

This is preventing me from updating. I use the People Hub every day for exactly the kinds of things that it was advertised as being able to do when I got my phone. It's basically the perfect level of interaction I want with Facebook and Twitter, all in one place. I don't even have the standalone Twitter and Facebook apps installed, don't need them.
I think in the long run it will be better. The build in functions were broken most of the time. I am getting use to it and you still get notification.

I also noticed that some of my previous purchased apps reversed to ads support ... try rebuying and they still want me to pay again.

PG2G

I think in the long run it will be better. The build in functions were broken most of the time. I am getting use to it and you still get notification.

I also noticed that some of my previous purchased apps reversed to ads support ... try rebuying and they still want me to pay again.

If your referring to in app purchases, uninstall and reinstall the app. I hear that helps

hwalker84

Had a weird glitch. Something seemed off on my device (1520 w/ all apps moved to sdcard). Weave lost all its settings and acted like it was the first time I launched it. Rebooted the phone and all sdcard apps said unavailable and I lost my amazing weather lock screen. After a minute or so all the apps showed up.

Loving WP8.1.

Klocker

holy crap the things you can tell cortana to remind you of when a certain event coincides (time or place) blows my mind. it really is like having an assistant.

plus you can open any app with "go to" just like Kinect 😁 and finally tell her to play your music

edit... has anyone found a way to search directly, items on phone rather than web and pivot to phone?

holy crap the things you can tell cortana to remind you of when a certain event coincides (time or place) blows my mind. it really is like having an assistant.

example? i'm curious.

I'm loving the reminders feature. i'm using it way more than I expected to. I do wish Cortana had some kind of to-do list integration, though.

Klocker

example? i'm curious.

I'm loving the reminders feature. i'm using it way more than I expected to. I do wish Cortana had some kind of to-do list integration, though.

"next time I arrive at (or leave) Mandy's house remind me to replace her porch light".

makes reminder so that when you get to her address (from book/gps) reminder pops up.

or "when I go to Gordon Biersch remind me to order the fish tacos" choices of which GB location pops up to identify and she saves it.

simple examples but I'm sure once I get in the habit it I will find many uses... I can see me using it for reminders for departing or arriving to business appointments as well .

we already know she also pulls data from your info and makes her own recommendations too 😄 haven't seen that yet but looking forward to her surprising me

ask cortana "what can you do for me" (or similar) and click on each item and personalized examples are given to say for each item.

I also like how all items are stored as text and are editable

Mario007

I have a problem with Gmail. I tried syncing it this morning and it didn't work so I gave it some time but it still wouldn't sync. Then I deleted my account on my phone and want to set it up again but all it does is it takes me to gmail sign up screen, I type in my details, then it loads for a bit and takes me back to that screen again.

I'm running the WP 8.1 preview on Lumia 920. Prior to this I tried out Cortana so I switched my region from Ireland to US but since then I have reverted back to Ireland and restarted the phone. I am currently in China, but having the phone locked on Ireland as the region was never a problem for WP 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom