• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'd be neat if, whenever the next halo game comes out, Cortana can answer appropriately:

Chief is stuck in the library fighting the flood.....could you help him please.

Maybe it'll look at achievements or something.
I would love really deep integration, would be fun.

I love that I can ask for the next Chelsea game and it tells the the opponent and kick off time. The fact it's spoken to you adds to the laziness. Brilliant.

I'm going to use Cortana to play my music for now. If only she could play playlists. I said "Play Halo 4" and it works way faster than the app.
Oh, this is a really nice feature. Just gave it a go. "Play..." and off we go. So good. This and my Xbox make me want to talk to all my devices. I never want to move again!

KageMaru

Anyone run into an issue where you unlock your phone and you just get a "Loading..." screen for a few minutes before the home screen loads? It's only happened about three times now, but i hope it gets sorted out.

Surprisingly the delay from hitting the lock button and the phone finally turning itself on seems to have fixed itself.

Also I set up another reminder for when I walk into work this morning. This time I received the reminder, but while I was pulling into the parking lot....a half mile away from my work.

Wondering if a factory reset would fix the little issues I've been experiencing.

frontieruk

IE 11 takes the battery out back to the woodshed and puts the ol' boy down :/

Also quick question: Is there a way to set Wi-Fi to turn on at a specific location? I see i can choose favorite locations, but I'd like to just set it to come on when i get home.

Hmm I'd imagine it'll get baked into cortana at some point, cortana turn off Wi-Fi gets her to switch it off now.

there was an app on my old blackberry curve that would turn my wifi on when i got home. it was gps based. amazing that feature was available 6 yrs ago and hasn't caught on.

I noticed that. I'm going to cut off data sense and see what happens. Doing a bunch of decompressing might be causing it.
If you do, share your results. Haven't really played around with any options yet, but my battery is just getting massacred.
Hmm I'd imagine it'll get baked into cortana at some point, cortana turn off Wi-Fi gets her to switch it off now.
I guess I can just manually turn off when I get to work and then with the turn on at favorites it'll turn back on when I get home because that's my next favorite location.

Mario007

I don't think so, which is shit. Seems a hugely stupid oversight.

Yeah considering things like locking the rotation of the screen is there this seems like a huge ommission. I was looking forward to getting rid of my connectivity shortcuts tile. Oh well.

maeh2k

How exactly does the synchronization work in WP8.1?

If I set it up to synchronize the 'design', I guess that means the entire start screen is synchronized including the placement of tiles, the accent color, and the background image?

Unless I'm mistaken, right now it appears there's some synchronization between Windows and Windows Phone. A Windows 8 pc seemingly took over my blue accent color for its background color. I changed it back to grey and now it appears that my phone's accent color is set to grey. Can that be right, or is that just some coincidence and I changed the colors some other way?

If it syncs between Windows and Windows Phone, is there a way to stop it without losing the synchronization for either device?

How exactly does the synchronization work in WP8.1?

If I set it up to synchronize the 'design', I guess that means the entire start screen is synchronized including the placement of tiles, the accent color, and the background image?

Unless I'm mistaken, right now it appears there's some synchronization between Windows and Windows Phone. A Windows 8 pc seemingly took over my blue accent color for its background color. I changed it back to grey and now it appears that my phone's accent color is set to grey. Can that be right, or is that just some coincidence and I changed the colors some other way?

If it syncs between Windows and Windows Phone, is there a way to stop it without losing the synchronization for either device?

Theme refers to accent color. It doesn't sync tile placement between different types of devices. Phones/Desktop are fundamentally different experiences. Theme is something that could go across the two, but tile placement doesn't make much sense.

Try changing your theme color on your phone while in front of your pc. Watch the accent change on your PC.

Theme refers to accent color. It doesn't sync tile placement between different types of devices. Phones/Desktop are fundamentally different experiences. Theme is something that could go across the two, but tile placement doesn't make much sense.

Try changing your theme color on your phone while in front of your pc. Watch the accent change on your PC.

Tile pertinence perhaps? Like if an app is pinned to my phone, pin it in my tablet too? (As an option, I can see this being useful).

And when can we expect xbox one to get in the dance too? I want theme syncing across all my devices!

Suddenly my Whatsapp notifications ceased to work (when I upgraded to WP8.1). Tried uninstalling the app, turning it on and off in battery saver and nothing. I think it's just because the app is outdated (I hope).
Anyone else having this problem, too?

Magni

Suddenly my Whatsapp notifications ceased to work (when I upgraded to WP8.1). Tried uninstalling the app, turning it on and off in battery saver and nothing. I think it's just because the app is outdated (I hope).
Anyone else having this problem, too?

Whatsapp is working great for me on 8.1.

However, Hexic randomly crashes now. Fuck that game though. Doesn't feel like a Windows Phone game, and cloning Candy Crush, really?

kazinova

I need to find a good ESPN Sportcenter "badada, dadada" clip to use as the Scorecenter notification sound. I can find one at home (a.k.a. shamelessly steal), looks like Zedge didn't have any good ones.

I also need to find some old Chessmaster 3000 soundclips to be my ChessByPost notification sound.

KageMaru

Ran into the "Resuming..." screen twice unlocking my phone in the last half hour. Once my home screw appeared the second time, I tried to open Hulu just for the screen to become unresponsive. Locked and unlocked the screen and Hulu started automatically loading once the home screen appeared.

Not really liking the performance on the Icon.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Think there are a few bugs still. Coming out of a call my screen was unresponsive as well. Locked and unlocked and I was fine.

Hi folks long time lurker. I have been playing around with 8.1 and while it's good on the whole I'm experiencing a few bugs. The phone has crashed a few times while typing. This has happened on both messaging and internet it has been when I've been using swipe so wonder if its a bug with that. Anyone else experienced that? Also have to echo the thoughts about the music app. I can't believe how bad it is. It takes ages to load and is riddled with bugs mine seems to update my music collection every time I load the app which takes ages. I also loaded it this morning and for every album it said I only had one song. What is that about? The app needs scrapping and starting again. I can't believe that the company that gave us one of the best media players in Zune turned out such an abysmal app.

Chorazin

Hi folks long time lurker. I have been playing around with 8.1 and while it's good on the whole I'm experiencing a few bugs. The phone has crashed a few times while typing. This has happened on both messaging and internet it has been when I've been using swipe so wonder if its a bug with that. Anyone else experienced that? Also have to echo the thoughts about the music app. I can't believe how bad it is. It takes ages to load and is riddled with bugs mine seems to update my music collection every time I load the app which takes ages. I also loaded it this morning and for every album it said I only had one song. What is that about? The app needs scrapping and starting again. I can't believe that the company that gave us one of the best media players in Zune turned out such an abysmal app.

Well, they did uncouple the music app from the OS, so it can be updated seperately. Hopefully this means they'll actually improve it soon.

Paganmoon

Haven't had crashing issues, and stopped using the music app since 8.1 when I went back to Spotify, sucks to have it that unstable though, hope more of these problems are fixed by the time of launch. Really weird some (me included) have no direct problems, and others can hardly seem to use their phones at times. What phone are you using?

On another note, anyone noticed that IE suggestions are much much faster since update? used to have to wait 5 seconds after typing for instance good for it to bring up goodreads as a URL/search suggestion, now it's near instant. Really good upgrade on the browser.

catmincer

Definitely no issues apart from the music app and the loud static when I change song or fast forward a video. The static is due to the Nokia equaliser and if turned off it stops. Otoh the music sounds awful if off so I will deal.

Using a 1520 btw.

Everdred

I'm having the lock screen issue where I hit the unlock and it just sits there. Only way to get my screen back is to hold the camera key, then the camera app pops up.

Haven't had crashing issues, and stopped using the music app since 8.1 when I went back to Spotify, sucks to have it that unstable though, hope more of these problems are fixed by the time of launch. Really weird some (me included) have no direct problems, and others can hardly seem to use their phones at times. What phone are you using?

On another note, anyone noticed that IE suggestions are much much faster since update? used to have to wait 5 seconds after typing for instance good for it to bring up goodreads as a URL/search suggestion, now it's near instant. Really good upgrade on the browser.
I'm using a 920, its definitely usable but just crashed a few times. The music app is dreadful and near unusable though. Using Cortana makes it an easier process s people have already said, but as I'm not from the US I'm not sure that's a long term fix.
Yeah suggestions are much faster for me too I may be mistaken but I think it also pulls suggestions from sites I have visited on my PC which is awesome. IE is loads better yeah I agree.

maeh2k

So it doesn't sync the start screen layout on Windows Phone? If I did a hard reset on the phone, the start screen wouldn't come back? Thought that might work, since it does on Windows.

So it doesn't sync the start screen layout on Windows Phone? If I did a hard reset on the phone, the start screen wouldn't come back? Thought that might work, since it does on Windows.

for Windows phone, yes it will. But because tablet/phone is very different, the team didn't want to mix the two.

The start-screen layout will only be restored when you hard reset your phone. So changing your startscreen layout on one device will not affect another device you have. For example:

You have 920 as your phone. You also bought a 520 on the cheap as a workout music player. If you make changes to pins on your 920, your 520 will not reflect those changes the next time you use it.

Now you let a friend test-drive windows phone for a week, so you perform reset-my-phone. A week later you get the phone back and hard-reset again. When going through the setup, you choose the option to restore your phone, and your start screen layout will come back.

venne

What is Xbox Music doing when it says 'updating collection'?

I've got nothing on the phone, but my collection keeps going up and up (right now at 3,440). When I hit play, it started playing some music from somewhere. When I hit next, sometimes it says 'sorry, that item is unavailable'. It seems like it's playing tracks that I acquired from the time I had a Zune pass if I remember correctly.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on with that app?

Lucius86

Banned
José Mourinho;108380226 said:
I would love really deep integration, would be fun.

I love that I can ask for the next Chelsea game and it tells the the opponent and kick off time. The fact it's spoken to you adds to the laziness. Brilliant.

That's awesome, didn't think to try that. The main question is - does this apply to other more important teams than Chelsea - i.e. the mighty Southend United?

....and it does! She didn't read it out, but the fact I got answers pleases me. I tried Chelsea and didn't get a voice answer though either.

I've got nothing on the phone, but my collection keeps going up and up (right now at 3,440). When I hit play, it started playing some music from somewhere. When I hit next, sometimes it says 'sorry, that item is unavailable'. It seems like it's playing tracks that I acquired from the time I had a Zune pass if I remember correctly.

If you have W8 and you have music on your computer, Xbox Music will pick that up and store a copy in your cloud collection. Thats where your 3440+ songs are coming from

Go to settings and turn off syncing.

With all of these complaints of bugs and backtracking on essential functionality like the music player, I'm starting to think people here and on WP Central were overselling juuuuust a little bit on how much the dev preview of 8.1 was going to be "exactly the same" as the final release to the public. Or at least, I hope so.

KageMaru

With all of these complaints of bugs and backtracking on essential functionality like the music player, I'm starting to think people here and on WP Central were overselling juuuuust a little bit on how much the dev preview of 8.1 was going to be "exactly the same" as the final release to the public. Or at least, I hope so.

I think everyone, including myself, assumed it would be the final release because that's basically what happen with GDR3. With all the issues I've been happening, I definitely don't believe that anymore.

It's the final release alright.

I certainly hope not. I've run into too many issues for this to be final.

dLMN8R

All is not as it might seem. When GDR 2 and GDR 3 shipped for Windows Phone 8, they weren't 100% identical on every device. There are also bug-fix patches applied to those GDRs that various carriers/manufacturers get to fix certain issue, and that also depends on how late in the game they get around to it.

dLMN8R

Guys, it's called a developer preview for a reason. Why on earth would you consider installing it on your parents' phone?

kharma45

Guys, it's called a developer preview for a reason. Why on earth would you consider installing it on your parents' phone?

The GDR3 was a 'developer' preview too but was the final RTM version that we got in the end. I wasn't saying I was going to upgrade their phones to the preview but if performance from it is indicative of what 8.1 will be like when it hits then I won't be updating them then.

KageMaru

All is not as it might seem. When GDR 2 and GDR 3 shipped for Windows Phone 8, they weren't 100% identical on every device. There are also bug-fix patches applied to those GDRs that various carriers/manufacturers get to fix certain issue, and that also depends on how late in the game they get around to it.

Appreciate the insight and despite me pointing the bugs, I'm still enjoying the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom