• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontieruk

So we've all had a play now, the question is...

How close did Microsoft get to their envisioned experience from TellMe in their first release?

Here's the video for a reminder or new for those who didn't know what Windows phone was back in 2011

http://youtu.be/x-3XWl4srng

Nero3000

Amazing:

unvK9E3.png

Persona7

Banned
You can go to Store settings and manually check for updates. It will then notify you via action center.

It's volume up + power button now.

I got it working. I had to go to a specific URL in a store for a different region and I was able to update the network settings and then the rest of the updates automatically popped up in the store.

Paganmoon

I can't seem to get the wide tiles, only big square and small square, what am I doing wrong?

Using the extra (3 square tile) setting on a Lumia 1020.

Okay I love Cortana.

My mother just dropped me a text asking if my girlfriend and I wanted to come to a BBQ on Monday. On Monday was underlined, clicked it, and Cortana created an entry for my diary with the event. Brilliant.

maeh2k

I can't seem to get the wide tiles, only big square and small square, what am I doing wrong?

Using the extra (3 square tile) setting on a Lumia 1020.

Doesn't work with every app. Try it with the Calendar. Should work the same as with the two column setting.

Lucius86

Banned
It is a bit counter-intuitive. They can easily have an additional icon on the tile to increase the size, one to reduce, and one to remove. There are four corners to a tile after all.

So now the initial hype is down a bit, how does everyone feel about Cortana?

Lucius86

Banned
They are still pretty far from this. Cortana and the other digital assistants still struggle with following up a question. You can do a lot of the stuff in the video, but you'll have to do it one piece at a time.

Yep. I like Cortana; she is a useful PA - but I do get annoyed when she doesn't hear me right. She's definitely more useful than Siri and Google Now (from what I have used of all 3 systems anyway) so that has to be a short-term win for Microsoft. I'm also excited to see what app developers will do with her to integrate her usefulness into their app (Cortana, tag me here in Facebook with my girlfriend - done). Heck, I'm even thinking on using her for future versions of my app already, even though it is a very explicit request ("What is my take home pay for £46000 per year?"). This is key in my opinion for Cortana to get increased appeal beyond us web folk. There is plenty of work still to do.

One key thing - my girlfriend doesn't like I have another woman talking to me. Cortana has already been labelled as 'the bitch".

maeh2k

That's why the button changes accordingly.

It does, but as we've seen, it happens that people don't try to make a tile smaller to end up with a larger one. From a medium sized tile smaller seems like the wrong direction.
Maybe there'd be a way for the symbol to present 'changing size' instead of 'smaller' or 'larger'. E.g. if there's enough room, the symbol could contain the three different tile sizes. Or maybe just an arrow in both directions like resizing a Window.

jagowar

So is Cortana going to learn my commute after a while? Or is there some way to define it?

Wondering this too... haven't been able to figure out how to define home and work on it. Will be useful for reminders.... call somebody when I get home type of thing. I see the places section but don't see where to specify my home and work.

Lucius86

Banned
o_O Does she know how you probably talk to other women every day in the course of every day existance?

I think/hope she does.

It's all jokes, she isn't the controlling type

So is Cortana going to learn my commute after a while? Or is there some way to define it?

Wondering this too... haven't been able to figure out how to define home and work on it. Will be useful for reminders.... call somebody when I get home type of thing. I see the places section but don't see where to specify my home and work.

Have you defined it in the Cortana app? Top right hand corner, hit the 3 bars to bring up the options. Go into places, and define your single place of work and home there. Hit the '+' icon at the bottom.

NeOak

Add the addresses and then set them up as home and work.

PG2G

Have you defined it in the Cortana app? Top right hand corner, hit the 3 bars to bring up the options. Go into places, and define your single place of work and home there. Hit the '+' icon at the bottom.

Yeah, was hoping it'd figure out the timing and notify me of when I need to leave and what not.

Everdred

Yeah, was hoping it'd figure out the timing and notify me of when I need to leave and what not.
I have a calendar alert with the address of my work and the "Notify me when I need to leave" checked and she never tells me anything.

PG2G

Pretty sure Stinkles mentioned it popping up and telling him that their was traffic on his commute to work. Perhaps it just takes some time to determine your typical schedule

Suerte

Has there been any update on the release of the Nokia treasure tag accessory? Or do we need the next Nokia firmware before it'll be released?

bigmf

When I got up this morning, there was a notice from Cortana asking me if this location was my home. I said yes and it added my home into the notebook. When I got to work, I added work in through the notebook commands myself.

I suspect it'll figure out your work location eventually, unless you're a travelling salesman or something.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
When I got up this morning, there was a notice from Cortana asking me if this location was my home. I said yes and it added my home into the notebook. When I got to work, I added work in through the notebook commands myself.

I suspect it'll figure out your work location eventually, unless you're a travelling salesman or something.
you can add it manually by hitting the 3 lines icon in the top right of cortana and going to places.

Razdek

Banned
I thought there was supposed to be a file explorer in this release but I can't find it. There were even videos showing it in the emulator.

ElNino

Was away on a short vacation, came back yesterday and installed 8.1. Still getting used to what's new, staying with 2 columns for now as 3 seems to make text too small for me. Battery usage was high yesterday, but I was using the phone much more than normal so we'll see how it goes today on a more typical usage day.

Does Battery Saver now replace the background tasks settings? I've noticed some apps (Facebook and Twitter) that showed as allowed to run in the background where I only have them setup for push notifications, but no live tile. In 8.0, I could set them to no run in the background while still getting notifications, will it still work the same in 8.1?

My first attempt with Cortana was a bit off though... I told it "Send my wife a message that I love her", and it sent the message "I love her". Good thing I warned my wife I was trying it otherwise that could have been a very awkward conversation.

PG2G

The team working on the calendar app really need to put some thought into how they handle locations. Kinda crazy that I have to t type or copy paste an address in and can't just set it from the map or a place card

IE 11 takes the battery out back to the woodshed and puts the ol' boy down :/

Also quick question: Is there a way to set Wi-Fi to turn on at a specific location? I see i can choose favorite locations, but I'd like to just set it to come on when i get home.

José Mourinho;108375447 said:
:lol, pretty good.

I also liked the answer to "Where is Master Chief?"
It'd be neat if, whenever the next halo game comes out, Cortana can answer appropriately:

Chief is stuck in the library fighting the flood.....could you help him please.

Maybe it'll look at achievements or something.

NeOak

So O'Donnell was let go from Bungie.

I was going to listen to Halo OSTs and so I opened the music app.

You guys weren't kidding. Jesus F. Christ. Makes me want to go and unbox my Dell Venue Pro just to use Zune.

PD: Stinkles work your magic!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So O'Donnell was let go from Bungie.

I was going to listen to Halo OSTs and so I opened the music app.

You guys weren't kidding. Jesus F. Christ. Makes me go and unbox my Dell Venue Pro just to use Zune.

PD: Stinkles work your magic!

I'm going to use Cortana to play my music for now. If only she could play playlists. I said "Play Halo 4" and it works way faster than the app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom