• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like some text messages I sent yesterday are missing in some threads. Also I'm getting work that people text me but I never got it. I think I was on wifi at home so I think that may have caused the issue.

frontieruk

I real love the new update. I'm on a Lumia 521, runs snappy, I love it!

I haven't figured out if there's a way to remove the "A-Z" app sorting. There doesn't appear to be, I wish they had fixed that! :(
Didn't need fixing, want a different order pin the apps, otherwise alphabetical it's the best way to sort in a list, even android Ships with alphabetical sorting in the app tray

I believe the same people are working on both apps. I'd imagine as time progresses they'll align a bit more. Just a guess though.
I understand that it might not happen right away, but over time that makes sense right? Are there any shortfalls of going universal?

Swipe is amazing holy shit

Will we one day not have competing apps from MS and Nokia? Maps vs HERE Maps, Camera vs Nokia Camera, etc. Like, with MS's acquisition, will these just become official WP apps?

It seems like they're getting closer to each other in terms of features.

hadareud

The Translator
I absolutely love the start screen backgrounds.

edit:
Zj7qFZs.jpg

Raistlin

Nokia is weak in the States. Hopefully MS will rebrand their phones to something Surface something when the acquisition is done.
That's the hope ... but it doesn't look like they'll have anything in time for 920 owners. That's the problem. It was their flagship general phone. Not having an upgrade path in place is crazy.

NeOak

That's the hope ... but it doesn't look like they'll have anything in time for 920 owners. That's the problem. It was their flagship general phone. Not having an upgrade path in place is crazy.

I bit the bullet and got a 1520 with Next.

I can renew my contract in November, so I will see if there is something good then or instead I'll hold the upgrade until Snapdragon 810 devices are out next year.

Snapdragon 805 is not really much of an upgrade CPU wise (same design, just better thermals to get 200MHz more) vs the 800 unlike the 810.

PG2G

Lumia 920 owners aren't due for an upgrade until August. No reason to assume there won't be any new devices by then. You guys expect att to not get a new flagship all year?

PG2G

I bit the bullet and got a 1520 with Next.

I can renew my contract in November, so I will see if there is something good then or instead I'll hold the upgrade until Snapdragon 810 devices are out next year.

Snapdragon 805 is not that much an upgrade CPU wise vs the 800 unlike the 810.

Snapdragon 810 is just a stopgap because the Chinese market wanted 64 bit for marketing reasons and Qualcomm wasn't ready. Won't be worth paying attention too until they release their true successor

NeOak

Lumia 920 owners aren't due for an upgrade until August. No reason to assume there won't be any new devices by then. You guys expect att to not get a new flagship all year?

If you mean AT&T, they removed the 20 month early upgrade. So gotta wait until November 9 if using 2 year contracts.

KageMaru

I really hope the video app is updated soon. Every time I launch it, it just sits at loading... scrolling across the top. I can access the video store but I'm being asked to purchase content I already own. Last time I ran into this issue, I had to reinstall the app but that's not an option now. =(

NeOak

Snapdragon 810 is just a stopgap because the Chinese market wanted 64 bit for marketing reasons and Qualcomm wasn't ready. Won't be worth paying attention too until they release their true successor

They are ready. 810 is a stopgap in the sense that their custom core isn't ready, but A57s are no slouch. This was in their roadmaps.

Qualcomm is not nVidia lol.

I'm more worried about Robellus and Canada. Of course ATT will get a new flagships, chances are none of the models will be brought over to Canada, hell we don't even have the 1520 nor the 1320, the carriers have seemingly just given up.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm more worried about Robellus and Canada. Of course ATT will get a new flagships, chances are none of the models will be brought over to Canada, hell we don't even have the 1520 nor the 1320, the carriers have seemingly just given up.

I think we will see the 930 this summer. I really hope Telus gets a new flagship in the fall.

Chorazin

Man, battery life is definitely taking a hit. I was at less than 25% at 1:30, I'm usually at about that when I get home from work at 5:30. :(

dLMN8R

You sure it's not simply because you're using the phone a lot more than usual since you're trying new features?

I've been using 8.1 for over a month now and battery life isn't any different on my 920. Better, in some cases.

maeh2k

You sure it's not simply because you're using the phone a lot more than usual since you're trying new features?

I've been using 8.1 for over a month now and battery life isn't any different on my 920. Better, in some cases.

Saw some people on the support forum complain about the phone draining their batteries faster. Might be an actual issue.

Man, battery life is definitely taking a hit. I was at less than 25% at 1:30, I'm usually at about that when I get home from work at 5:30. :(

Battery life usually always takes a hit after updates. Good thing is that it also almost always levels back to regular levels after a couple day of usage and regular charging.

One thing I did notice is that Nokia updated Glance via an app update that was restricted to 8.1. Noticed it when I noticed my battery was burning faster than my weak (normally borderline okay) usb want able to keep up the charging yesterday when I was in classes. Then I noticed that glance wasn't turning off, so I went into Settings > Glance and a popup told me that new settings had been applied and I had to restart. After I did that, everything went back to normal with Glance peeking like normal and battery use decreased.

Also this, with all the new stuff the screen is probably on for alot longer as it usually is.

Tomcat

At first it was bad for me too. Seems its getting better though. What I noticed is that when I charge the phone it gets way hotter than it used too 😞

MEGATON: You can teach your phone swear words now.

How to put swears into Word Flow keyboard (Windows Phone 8.1)

Write out an email or text
Write desired swear word
Change the auto-corrected word after it “fixes” your swear
Send message with desired curse word in tact (this is important)
Repeat three or four times

What you will notice at first is Word Flow will auto-correct your swear. After a few uses, it will still auto-correct, but the swear will now be in the dictionary. Progress! Finally, after about 4 or 5 instances, Word Flow will stop auto-correcting the swear and let you continue unabated. Heck, it will now fix your offending language.

Basically, Microsoft gave you the ability to add swears to the text-prediction engine in Windows Phone 8.1, but they wanted to make sure “…that the system is confident you use the word. We didn't want to offend folks who might be sending messages about ducks. It's a balance”.

Kcz0C7c.png

Chorazin

Nah, I'm using it about the same as I always do, they didn't add new stuff that I'd use here.

Bullza2o

How can I drain my battery quickly so I could cycle my charges back to normal? I noticed the battery percentage was innacurate. It would be 90% then after rebooting (normal on/off) it would show 85%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom