• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paganmoon

You guys told me not to put a screen protector on by myself but I did it anyway.

tumblr_lso6d2OLz21r0byljo1_250.gif

pic of the results?

Gamble

You can use an AT&T phone with them lol.

Also, had to go to an AT&T store to get a new sim card for my 1520. Updated to 8.1 and just gonna order the 90MB/s microSD.

The sim card tray came a bit bent. Works fine, but it looks weird.

Didn't know this, they always made it seem like you HAD to use an unlocked GSM for their network when I first signed up, hmmmm..... dat 1520 price tag is a killer though....

You guys told me not to put a screen protector on by myself but I did it anyway.

tumblr_lso6d2OLz21r0byljo1_250.gif
I told you that you would mess it up if you've never done it before :p

Soo how did it go; a shitton of bubbles behind the screen, Fingerprints on the wrong side of the protector, Streaks everywhere, or did you manage to get indents-on /stretch the protector from trying to get the bubbles out :p

PG2G

Wordflow.... what's the technique for hitting double characters? Like the second e in three?

Also I agree on option to verbalize reminders although I guess it is a privacy thing...

Also anyone know how to have her search directly on the phone without going to the web search first?

I just kinda do a little loop on the letter and that normally works

maeh2k

You don't even have to do a loop. Just try it with three. It's a nice example, because it's very close to the and threw. It can still recognize three without looping if you get the end of the swipe right (like a straight line from r to e).
The disambiguation accounts for multiple letters. Since there's no 'thre' it'll still know that 'three' is the right word.

Klocker

You don't even have to do a loop. Just try it with three. It's a nice example, because it's very close to the and threw. It can still recognize three without looping if you get the end of the swipe right (like a straight line from r to e).
The disambiguation accounts for multiple letters. Since there's no 'thre' it'll still know that 'three' is the right word.

without the loop mine just defaults to "the" and forgets the r. maybe I need to correct it and send a few times to make it stick

Edit:
also small glitch hopefully corrected on upcoming releases... calendar event on lockscreen, can only snooze or dismiss, I can not click on it to unlock and go directly to calendar item like previously

of course could be an issue with ATIV S Neo as my cortana button at lock screen does not open it either

maeh2k

without the loop mine just defaults to "the" and forgets the r. maybe I need to correct it and send a few times to make it stick

It's not about the loop. It's about the distinction between hitting just the e or the r and the e. If you swipe from the h to the r and then continue to the e in two distinct steps, it should work. It's not an issue of training the keyboard.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Hey guys, I need a little help. The wife is sold on a WP but we're a bit confused on which handset to go with. We're on AT&T but she's not interested in the massive 1520, she wants the smaller 1020 variety. My question is, is that still a viable phone that we can expect to perform efficiently for 2 years, or is there a new flagship coming out within the next couple of months we should wait for? I thought I read the Icon is the latest flagship, but it's Verizon exclusive. Is there an AT&T version planned?

Thanks guys.

ok thanks... will practice more... really liking Wordflow more than I thought I would

Same. I thought I would just relegate it to the darkest corner of my phone after thinking that it would fail to work and just be frustrating. Luckily though, from the onset I never got that feeling. There was an initial learning curve of "Why wont this work, I'm swiping over the entire sentence" but after I realized "Oh, I do it word by word and it auto-spaces" It was much more intuitive.

That said, I'm a tolerant person when trying out new tech or features, so I was able to give it a chance. If I was different, I likely would have dropped it after the first couple "why wont this work" trys. Maybe a tutorial, or something else could solve it for those potential people though.

Hey guys, I need a little help. The wife is sold on a WP but we're a bit confused on which handset to go with. We're on AT&T but she's not interested in the massive 1520, she wants the smaller 1020 variety. My question is, is that still a viable phone that we can expect to perform efficiently for 2 years, or is there a new flagship coming out within the next couple of months we should wait for? I thought I read the Icon is the latest flagship, but it's Verizon exclusive. Is there an AT&T version planned?

Thanks guys.

The Lumia Icon (929) is an upgrade to the 920 series. It has a 5" 1080p screen and has a better SOC than the 920 series. Though, that phone is only available to Verizon and the likely hood of it, or a variant coming to the USA is slim to none. Though, if you want to wait, the Lumia 930 is supposedly coming out in North America later this year which is the Global variant for the Lumia Icon (929). Though like I said, don't expect Verizon to allow ATT to get it.

When it comes to the Lumia 1020, it is the Flagship phone with a camera focus. It has a 42MP camera and holds the record for best camera in a smartphone. It has a 720p screen, great battery life and supports Qi Wireless Charging through an additional Wireless charging case.

When it comes to how old it is, it came out in July and is still less than a year old and the hardware more than handles Windows Phone in its current state. When it comes to Windows Phone, every single phone will always get the latest updates, so you don't have to worry about phones being left behind. I'd be surprised if she wasn't able to get by the next 2 years with it.

PG2G

The Lumia Icon (929) is just just really just a variant of the 920 series with a 5" 1080p screen. Everything within the 920 series are all the flagships for Windows Phone.

When it comes to the Lumia 1020, it is the Flagship phone with a camera focus. It has a 42MP camera and holds the record for best camera in a smartphone. It has a 720p screen, great battery life and supports Qi Wireless Charging through an additional Wireless charging case.

When it comes to how old it is, it came out in July and is still less than a year old and the hardware more than handles Windows Phone in its current state. When it comes to Windows Phone, every single phone will always get the latest updates, so you don't have to worry about phones being left behind. I'd be surprised if she wasn't able to get by the next 2 years with it.

Though, if you want to wait for the latest, the Lumia 930 is supposedly coming out in North America later this year which is the Global variant for the Lumia Icon (929). No word on if ATT will get it.

Lets not go that far. The difference between the hardware in the Lumia 920 and the Icon/930 is like the difference between an iPhone 4S and an iPhone 5S. The SoC are almost two years apart. I'd sooner buy a budget phone off contract to hold me over until the new ones come out than get a 920/925 on 2 year contract.

The 930 is actually not coming to the US, which leaves ATT with no known sequel device to the 920/925 this spring/summer.

I gotta assume that Nokia has something in the pipeline. Maybe the icon is exclusive to Verizon for 6 months similar to the 920 deal that ATT had.

NeOak

The Lumia Icon (929) is just just really just a variant of the 920 series with a 5" 1080p screen. Everything within the 920 series are all the flagships for Windows Phone.

Though, if you want to wait for the latest, the Lumia 930 is supposedly coming out in North America later this year which is the Global variant for the Lumia Icon (929). No word on if ATT will get it.

lol the Icon is a 1520 in 5" and no microSD really. It's called a 929 internally, but it's two generations ahead in SoC vs the 920/925/928.

930 is NEVER coming to the US. Verizon will make sure of that.

freshair

Holy balls my battery is awful after 8.1

Strange thing is that I think it's only happening at work. And battery saver doesn't help because it doesn't show any one app as dominating the battery.

Gmail / MSFT account sync is fine and not stuck.

Really unsure what's causing it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Holy balls my battery is awful after 8.1

Strange thing is that I think it's only happening at work. And battery saver doesn't help because it doesn't show any one app as dominating the battery.

Gmail / MSFT account sync is fine and not stuck.

Really unsure what's causing it.

Sounds like wifi/data are competing. What's your wifi setting?

GTI Guy

What do you guys mean wifi turn on when you get home? My phone has always connected to my wifi at home automatically never having to do anything.

What do you guys mean wifi turn on when you get home? My phone has always connected to my wifi at home automatically never having to do anything.

But leaving the WiFi enabled can make the phone drain battery by searching and trying to connect to available networks. It can also be annoying to have the phone try to automatically connect to something like a public network at Starbucks when you would rather use LTE data. So some people prefer to have WiFi off.

belvedere

Junior Butler
The 930 is actually not coming to the US, which leaves ATT with no known sequel device to the 920/925 this spring/summer.

I gotta assume that Nokia has something in the pipeline. Maybe the icon is exclusive to Verizon for 6 months similar to the 920 deal that ATT had.

So this situation is a bit convoluted. For an everyday user who just wants a device that works, would the 1020 be suitable for 2 years?

So this situation is a bit convoluted. For an everyday user who just wants a device that works, would the 1020 be suitable for 2 years?
As an ATT user myself, I would recommend waiting a couple of months to see what comes down the pipe for ATT. There has to be a flagship with the 930/1520 specs but without the absurd 1520 screen size coming.

JaggedSac

I turned the Data Sense savings thing off instead of automatic and it seems to be draining less battery. That is based in no actual measuring, but usually at this time of the day my battery would be much less than it is now. Same amount of usage. And the internet explorer bar is lower than it usually is in battery sense.

GTI Guy

But leaving the WiFi enabled can make the phone drain battery by searching and trying to connect to available networks. It can also be annoying to have the phone try to automatically connect to something like a public network at Starbucks when you would rather use LTE data. So some people prefer to have WiFi off.

Ahh...ok I get it now.. That's actually pretty cool to have it connect at my favorite places. Will enable that feature now.

I love Cortana even more now. I just spent 5 minutes on my walk home entering my exam schedule into my calendar using her. Something that would usually take 15-20 minutes to do manually.

kazinova

Random problem cropped up for me on the wife's phone. The Xbox music pass isn't working for her, all she gets is buy or share. Also, the room we have will let my chats get to her, but she can't seem to send any to me. Weird. Her Microsoft account seems setup correctly, not sure what's going on.

zedge

So with wifi off it will still connect? Seems I have the settings enabled but if I turn wifi off it does not connect.

zatara

my ativ se came in the mail today. I already owned the icon but didn't like the bulk. so far I like the ativ. it fits my hand better and that's what mattered the most.

correct me if im wrong but I read a bunch of pages back that 1080p phones can't do 2 tile rows.

PNSVsXn.jpg

The Flash

Banned
I love Cortana even more now. I just spent 5 minutes on my walk home entering my exam schedule into my calendar using her. Something that would usually take 15-20 minutes to do manually.

I read this and then did the same thing lol

I've been showing her off to all of my nerd/tech friends and they all want to get Windows Phones now.

I read this and then did the same thing lol

I've been showing her off to all of my nerd/tech friends and they all want to get Windows Phones now.

Excellent... excellent. But yeah, Cortana makes the entire thing sooo much faster. "On Tuesday the 22nd, Add in an appointment for X Exam at 9:55am In Room 205". I could probably also get more detailed and put an ending time into that sentence if I wanted too. Its awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom