• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, the notifications for whatsapp are back!. Cortana is a real charm, too!.

To Cortana: Guess what.
Cortana: There are 2,335,981,212,665 possible answer to that question.

:lol

The Flash

Banned
Finally figured out that I had Battery Saver set to turn on when battery was low. I should be getting better battery life now :) Thank goodness for Transparency Tiles as well. My start screen looks a lot better now.

cmhEYPh.png

Lock Screen for those interested

Finally figured out that I had Battery Saver set to turn on when battery was low. I should be getting better battery life now :) Thank goodness for Transparency Tiles as well. My start screen looks a lot better now.

Lock Screen for those interested

Looks great! But my Music and Facebook tiles are colored :C. (Any Idea why? or any idea how can I reverse this?)

The Flash

Banned
Yeah, thanks to transparent tiles I'm finally happy 😊 with my home 🏠 screen.

BTW, besides Xbox Music app, this update is amazing. I dont understand the complaints about "bugs."

KageMaru

BTW, besides Xbox Music app, this update is amazing. I dont understand the complaints about "bugs."

Not sure about the other people, but I don't mean to come off like I'm complaining. I understand it's a preview and hope that pointing out the bugs helps the least bit.

Other than the video app not loading my purchased content, there hasn't been any experience killing bugs. Just bumps that will hopefully be ironed out.

Razdek

Banned

There are bugs in this build and you can choose to ignore them and think everything is wonderful but they're there. It's good to find them and point it out so they'll know what needs to be fixed.

hwalker84

There are WP team members on GAF that are actively posting in this thread or just lurking. We talk about issues to bring them to the attention of the fellow WP GAFers and the team. We all love the platform and only want to see it improve.

$200

Banned
Did any new update (not sure if 8.1 only) break Skype? Now it won't let me sign in with Skype account only Microsoft.

$200

Banned
The update forced everyone to sign out.

What do I do then? Signing in with MS account won't help since all my contacts are with my Skype account.

Edit: According to the info on the Skype site I need to log on to Skype on my PC with my MS account and the first time it would display a popup for me to link the two together and then I will be able to use my MS account on phone with my Skype contacts.....uhhhhmmmm. I don't see the popup either so I'm guessing it's because I've closed it before. Too lazy to reinstall Skype to try this. Anyone know any easier way?

Edit2: Tried deleting my Skype data in %appdata% and logged on....nope still didn't see any option to link my accounts. There's gotta be another way right? All active Skype users I know use a Skype account and a lot of jimmies are gonna be rustled if they don't fix this.

Commodore

After playing and stewing with 8.1 for a few days, a few random thoughts:

Small but pleasing:

The reading mode in IE. Use it all the time now, makes mobile consumption of articles crazy easy.

Cortana. The novelty of Cortana's quips will die off pretty soon here, but for actual everyday help as a digital assistant? Love her ability to make reminders/notes(her mining texts to schedule events is very cool), love using her to play music "Play rock" or "Play specific artist" (which is spotty but works) makes playing music faster than using the app, which is great. Love using Cortana to schedule geotagged reminders. Texting a message "Cortana text <wife's name> <direct message>" works hands free and quick. I can do quicker web searches via voice, than typing for the most part and I find voice recognition to be pretty solid, expecting it to be much more shoddy than it actually is right now. So I'm surprised, I thought Cortana would be more novelty, but I think I'll definitely be using her to do a bunch of daily tasks.

Battery Saver: Finally having an app list that is showing me what's eating the most battery, plus having fuller control over what apps are running in the background are both excellent and better than before.

Background image themes: I'm still a little iffy on it, it IS a cool effect, and finding just the right image, a balance of simplicity and variety to stay mangling the UI's clean design completely is tough. But I have a few background images that work well and I'll always be on the lookout for more.

Slight annoyances

Action Center:

Honestly I miss the Me tile notifications. I like how decoupling the hub functions will provide better update frequency, but I miss how the hubs brought so much together and made it very easy to do multiple things at once. While containing all those notifications and keeping them there until I check, I miss the onscreen visual number notifying me of social updates on the Me tile.

Sharing a link to Facebook via 3rd party apps, opens the Facebook app status page, but doesn't embed the link, making the status pretty ugly. Don't like that, hope that changes.

More thoughts later.

My current home screen, which in hindsight is funny because I inadvertently created a home screen that is flipping the bird. So Brot, there you go. But I like it, the middle column contains large wide live tiles of some of my most used apps. The sides are mostly satellite apps that I occasionally use.

36ONijjl.png

Razdek

Banned
What are the bugs?

Personally I've had the following happen:

• IE crashing while just browsing
  • Phone becoming unresponsive and having to hit the power button to turn the screen off and on to fix it
  • Apps hanging on a blank screen and not loading up properly
  • Action Centre being sensitive when trying to drag it up or down
  • Word Flow sometimes not recognizing the finger drag and instead hitting all the keys my finger has dragged by

Those are just a few off the top of my head and like I said finding these are not bad as it let's the team know what needs to get fixed to make it better.

$200

Banned
What do I do then? Signing in with MS account won't help since all my contacts are with my Skype account.

Edit: According to the info on the Skype site I need to log on to Skype on my PC with my MS account and the first time it would display a popup for me to link the two together and then I will be able to use my MS account on phone with my Skype contacts.....uhhhhmmmm. I don't see the popup either so I'm guessing it's because I've closed it before. Too lazy to reinstall Skype to try this. Anyone know any easier way?

Edit2: Tried deleting my Skype data in %appdata% and logged on....nope still didn't see any option to link my accounts. There's gotta be another way right? All active Skype users I know use a Skype account and a lot of jimmies are gonna be rustled if they don't fix this.

Ok found a way. To connect an existing MS account and Skype account, first go to https://secure.skype.com/portal/account/settings and log on with the MS account, if you see your MS account email address with the word "unlink" next to it it means there's already a Skype account associated with it; even if there's no contacts.

Now, click unlink and delete the account (be sure to check you're actually logged on as the MS account with no Skype contacts) so you don't accidentally delete Skype.

Once that's done, log on to Skype on your PC with the MS account, you will now be given the option to link it with a Skype account. Don't click too fast or you'll have to do everything again.

WP team, please file a bug if there's not already one like this...note it only affects UX of phone afaik since on the PC you can still use your Skype account.

• Phone becoming unresponsive and having to hit the power button to turn the screen off and on to fix it
  • Word Flow sometimes not recognizing the finger drag and instead hitting all the keys my finger has dragged by

Those are just a few off the top of my head and like I said finding these are not bad as it let's the team know what needs to get fixed to make it better.
What phone do you have? I have a 920 and I've yet to experience any of this.

Wow, Wi-Fi turning on and connecting automatically at home (after setting up favorite places) is working well for me. Takes a few minutes but it gives you a good amount of time to settle in, take a piss, etc. Then when you pick up your phone, Wi-Fi is on.

Anyone know if it turns off on its own after I leave my house?

maeh2k

Looks like I might have to order a new phone next week. I'll be starting a new job in May and as part of that every employee gets a phone contract (that they can also use privately) with pretty much any phone.
Now the question is if they'll somehow let me preorder a Lumia 930 and use my 8X for the time being. Otherwise, I'm not really sure what to do. Get a 1020 even though the hardware is pretty dated and the 930 is about to come out? Or maybe I should just try a 1520. Seems insanely huge, but I could probably just continue using my 8X, so it wouldn't be a big risk.

Lucius86

Banned
Looks like I might have to order a new phone next week. I'll be starting a new job in May and as part of that every employee gets a phone contract (that they can also use privately) with pretty much any phone.
Now the question is if they'll somehow let me preorder a Lumia 930 and use my 8X for the time being. Otherwise, I'm not really sure what to do. Get a 1020 even though the hardware is pretty dated and the 930 is about to come out? Or maybe I should just try a 1520. Seems insanely huge, but I could probably just continue using my 8X, so it wouldn't be a big risk.

I'd definitely try to get the 930 if I were you - stress it will be a long term commitment so you would like to get a modern handset. I'm sure they would understand.

MeiVKhg.jpg

iv89cds.jpg

Edit: Deleted the Hygienist appointment, and now it's showing "Claire's Birthday" - wtf?
Edit2: Switched detailed status on the lock screen from calendar to phone, then back again, and it seems to have fixed things. Strange.

mwv9LO3.gif

After playing and stewing with 8.1 for a few days, a few random thoughts:

Small but pleasing:

The reading mode in IE. Use it all the time now, makes mobile consumption of articles crazy easy.

Cortana. The novelty of Cortana's quips will die off pretty soon here, but for actual everyday help as a digital assistant? Love her ability to make reminders/notes(her mining texts to schedule events is very cool), love using her to play music "Play rock" or "Play specific artist" (which is spotty but works) makes playing music faster than using the app, which is great. Love using Cortana to schedule geotagged reminders. Texting a message "Cortana text <wife's name> <direct message>" works hands free and quick. I can do quicker web searches via voice, than typing for the most part and I find voice recognition to be pretty solid, expecting it to be much more shoddy than it actually is right now. So I'm surprised, I thought Cortana would be more novelty, but I think I'll definitely be using her to do a bunch of daily tasks.

Battery Saver: Finally having an app list that is showing me what's eating the most battery, plus having fuller control over what apps are running in the background are both excellent and better than before.

Background image themes: I'm still a little iffy on it, it IS a cool effect, and finding just the right image, a balance of simplicity and variety to stay mangling the UI's clean design completely is tough. But I have a few background images that work well and I'll always be on the lookout for more.

Slight annoyances

Action Center:

Honestly I miss the Me tile notifications. I like how decoupling the hub functions will provide better update frequency, but I miss how the hubs brought so much together and made it very easy to do multiple things at once. While containing all those notifications and keeping them there until I check, I miss the onscreen visual number notifying me of social updates on the Me tile.

Sharing a link to Facebook via 3rd party apps, opens the Facebook app status page, but doesn't embed the link, making the status pretty ugly. Don't like that, hope that changes.

More thoughts later.

My current home screen, which in hindsight is funny because I inadvertently created a home screen that is flipping the bird. So Brot, there you go. But I like it, the middle column contains large wide live tiles of some of my most used apps. The sides are mostly satellite apps that I occasionally use.

36ONijjl.pngo

I have an HTC 8X and am curious how you got that awesome background to blend behind your tiles? I have not been prompted for a update yet. What image is that?

Did I read somewhere that Cortana will scan incoming text messages and mail and automatically set reminders?

Also, has anybody tried uploading individual images using the OneDrive app? Every time I try it fails.

That's awesome, didn't think to try that. The main question is - does this apply to other more important teams than Chelsea - i.e. the mighty Southend United?

....and it does! She didn't read it out, but the fact I got answers pleases me. I tried Chelsea and didn't get a voice answer though either.
Hmm, it gives me a spoken answer -- "On Saturday, Chelsea square off against Sunderland at 5:30pm." -- every time I ask it via voice, as expected. The only issue I've come up against, and likely due to my Northern Irish accent, is that 90% of the time when I ask "Next Chelsea game/match/fixture?" It understands game as either pm, dm, or dim. Match as much. And fixture as texture or fecture -- which I'm fairly certain isn't a word. Also, if I don't say FC after Chelsea it writes Chelsea out as Chelsey. So it's nice that the functionality is in there, it just doesn't really work for me all that well right now.

maeh2k

I have an HTC 8X and am curious how you got that awesome background to blend behind your tiles? I have not been prompted for a update yet. What image is that?

He's running the Windows Phone 8.1 developer preview. Anyone can sign up and get the update, but be aware that it's a preview and some people might encounter some (mostly minor) issues with it. The official update will arrive in summer.

Here's all the info about the preview program and how to sign up: http://www.wpcentral.com/how-sign-windows-phone-81-preview-developers

So far I've had zero issues with my 8X, but there are no guarantees and there's no going back.

Gamble

So jealous of just about everyone in this thread at the moment, I would glady trade my Nexus 5 for a Lumia 1020 or 1520 :-(....wish AIO had a better selection of Windows Phones to choose from

MarkusRJR

Could someone tell me whether or not on 8.1 if the cellular signal, WiFi, battery, etc are always showing on top? I heard that they have it permanently on there all the time. Is there an option to turn that off?

Amoled displays get burn in pretty easily from my experience on android (due to all of the static elements that remain on screen), and it seems like that top bar now will easily get burn in. Seems like a dumb decision imo. They should have left it show all the time while on the home screen, but once in an app it hides.

PG2G

Can you just get something(with good resale value) and sell it, using the money to buy the Lumia 930 when it's out?

Could someone tell me whether or not on 8.1 if the cellular signal, WiFi, battery, etc are always showing on top? I heard that they have it permanently on there all the time. Is there an option to turn that off?

Amoled displays get burn in pretty easily from my experience on android (due to all of the static elements that remain on screen), and it seems like that top bar now will easily get burn in. Seems like a dumb decision imo. They should have left it show all the time while on the home screen, but once in an app it hides.

The icons are always on now, unless you are in a fullscreen app like browser, Here Drive or twitter. They stay visible in Facebook and Whatsapp for example.

PG2G

Not visible in most apps I've tried. Xbox music, podcast lounge, readit, wpcentral, foursquare and 6tag for example

NeOak

So jealous of just about everyone in this thread at the moment, I would glady trade my Nexus 5 for a Lumia 1020 or 1520 :-(....wish AIO had a better selection of Windows Phones to choose from
You can use an AT&T phone with them lol.

Also, had to go to an AT&T store to get a new sim card for my 1520. Updated to 8.1 and just gonna order the 90MB/s microSD.

The sim card tray came a bit bent. Works fine, but it looks weird.

JaggedSac

José Mourinho;108487995 said:
Did I read somewhere that Cortana will scan incoming text messages and mail and automatically set reminders?

It will detect certainly key words and then underline the text. When you click on it, it will take you to a screen where you can confirm the reminder.

And yes, I too cannot upload files using OneDrive.

José Mourinho;108487995 said:
Also, has anybody tried uploading individual images using the OneDrive app? Every time I try it fails.

And yes, I too cannot upload files using OneDrive.

Wow, Wi-Fi turning on and connecting automatically at home (after setting up favorite places) is working well for me. Takes a few minutes but it gives you a good amount of time to settle in, take a piss, etc. Then when you pick up your phone, Wi-Fi is on.

Anyone know if it turns off on its own after I leave my house?
Don't think it'll turn of automatically when you leave, but still turning on when you get home is pretty nice. Do you have the turn on at favorite locations seeing on?

I'm not having any of these bugs. My only annoyance is that ever since I marked WhatsApp and Facebook messenger to always run in background notifications for them stopped working altogether. Even removing then or resetting the phone didn't solved it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The only bug I can confirm is the screen becoming unresponsive after some calls. Haven't had issues with IE11 yet even though I would occasionally have issues before 8.1.

After using this for a few days I am in general very impressed with a few exceptions. Those exceptions mostly being decoupled apps that will be updated.

That said the most must impressive part is the swipe keyboard. I mean it's just great.

He's running the Windows Phone 8.1 developer preview. Anyone can sign up and get the update, but be aware that it's a preview and some people might encounter some (mostly minor) issues with it. The official update will arrive in summer.

Here's all the info about the preview program and how to sign up: http://www.wpcentral.com/how-sign-windows-phone-81-preview-developers

So far I've had zero issues with my 8X, but there are no guarantees and there's no going back.

Indeed, using 8.1. But here is the image if you want to use it

kqOJjevl.jpg

Ok Thanks guys. I guess I will wait until this summer. It looks so much better!

Lucius86

Banned
The only bug I can confirm is the screen becoming unresponsive after some calls. Haven't had issues with IE11 yet even though I would occasionally have issues before 8.1.

I've had this, along with Facebook refusing to open until after I rebooted the phone. On the whole I've been impressed, but I would consider the OS in its current guise experimental.

Also, Bluetooth txt response works again in my new car - it wouldn't work going from my old company car Toyota system to my new BMW, but now it does. This pleases me a lot.

Sweeeeet, Cortana just notified me that she had new news for one of my custom interests. She's been extremely useful for that and settings reminders and appointments. I have a lot of trips coming over the next few months so I'm looking forward to how she handles that.

Klocker

Wordflow.... what's the technique for hitting double characters? Like the second e in three?

Also I agree on option to verbalize reminders although I guess it is a privacy thing...

Also anyone know how to have her search directly on the phone without going to the web search first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom