• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man Xbox Music as a platform needs a big overhaul. I'm trying to use the XM app on Win8.1 and it's horrendous. All of my playlists are out of order and I have to click on each one individually to delete them. That plus the horrible battery performance I'm experiencing on my 920 make me a sad man :(

You think thats bad? Xbox Video keeps on telling me Videos and Television Series that I defined in Zune (from ripped and converted DVDs) still exist on my harddrive. It gives me an error when I try to delete them and even though I have reinstalled it twice it doesn't want to get rid of them.

The Flash

Banned
You think thats bad? Xbox Video keeps on telling me Videos and Television Series that I defined in Zune (from ripped and converted DVDs) still exist on my harddrive. It gives me an error when I try to delete them and even though I have reinstalled it twice it doesn't want to get rid of them.

The first two seasons of Venture Bros won't show up on my phone at all. They show up on my PC, XB1, and Surface just fine but not my phone.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
What does IE need background tasks for? Syncing tabs? Was thinking of turning that off. Definitely the biggest battery user for me.

Yeah according to this thread on Reddit that seems to be a lot of people's culprit, and it back be bugged causing more drain than it should.

I'm going to disable background for IE and see if that helps.

NeOak

What does IE need background tasks for? Syncing tabs? Was thinking of turning that off. Definitely the biggest battery user for me.

I'm curious about this too, since it doesn't keep the webpages in memory like it used to, making it reload every. damn. time. D:

Heretic

I absolutely love how Cortana is integrated everywhere. Any date/time related words act as links to set alerts. Absolutely love it.

PG2G

Battery sense said how much each app uses in the background vs. Foreground. If IE is draining in the background then battery sense doesn't work

Battery sense said how much each app uses in the background vs. Foreground. If IE is draining in the background then battery sense doesn't work
Why? It said IE was using a lot of my battery in the background so I turned off IE running in the background. My battery has improved since I did that.

PG2G

Why? It said IE was using a lot of my battery in the background so I turned off IE running in the background. My battery has improved since I did that.

My battery life is bad and it says IE hasn't used anything in the background. Guess it'll depend on what websites you've got open

Paganmoon

Something is definitely off with the battery usage:

GopJwmul.jpg

Lost 50% during the night. Never been like this, unless I'm sleep-browsing the web or something.

My phone died ... not sure when but it won't come on. I think it just out of battery due to random drain...so hopefully it will come back to life after I plug it in.

edit: did a hard reboot and that's fix it.

n64coder

I'm looking to get the 1020 and I see some sellers on eBay listing them for around $440 new unlocked. Any gotchas I should be aware of before pulling the trigger? The sellers are US based.

I'm looking to get the 1020 and I see some sellers on eBay listing them for around $440 new unlocked. Any gotchas I should be aware of before pulling the trigger? The sellers are US based.

If it's reputable sellers I don't see why not, just make sure it will be compatible with whatever carrier you are planning to use it on.

n64coder

If it's reputable sellers I don't see why not, just make sure it will be compatible with whatever carrier you are planning to use it on.

The sellers do have good feedback. I will be using it with AIO wireless which is ATT so there should be no problems.

The official price for an unlocked phone is around $600 so I'm always leery if there's a big discount.

KageMaru

Did a hard reset on my phone and the performance is MUCH better. Only problem is my MS, Twitter, and LinkedIn in accounts wouldn't sync. When I would try to access my MS account settings, I would get a message that there was "a problem syncing blu403-m.hotmail.com at the moment.". Had to delete my Twitter and LinkedIn accounts before my MS account started syncing again.

I do love how well the backup and recovery now. It was so nice not having to worry about my tiles.

PG2G

I'm beginning to get the feeling that the new sync options are eating a fair amount of battery. Hope that isn't the case

I'm beginning to get the feeling that the new sync options are eating a fair amount of battery. Hope that isn't the case

I have a feeling it does though, did disable it it today and it looks like the drain is far less now, 3 hours in and 10 precent off with some use.

Yesterday was pathetic though.. Off the charger at 1 pm and 5 pm without any heavy usage it was down to 10 precent..

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I turned off IE in the background and went in the sync settings and also turned off IE seems to help a bit. Also trying to close the app down when not in use.

kharma45

Found another potential reason for the battery drain on my phone. Seems the speaker is always on if you've the volume for media set to anything apart from 0.

Bri

Hearing these things about the battery is a little frightening, but I guess that can be fixed with updates. Really close to buy a 925 for a decent price, but what is really keeping me from it is the battery. Some say it's shit and some say it's fine.

Hearing these things about the battery is a little frightening, but I guess that can be fixed with updates. Really close to buy a 925 for a decent price, but what is really keeping me from it is the battery. Some say it's shit and some say it's fine.

With my usage on WP8 i could last a day (7 am to 11/12pm) Some internet, lots of skype messaging and spotify.

925 running 8.0 should be fine, we are running preview 8.1 and thus all the crazy battery reports.

n64coder

I see that there are two models of Lumia 1020. The RM-875 (international version) and RM-877 (ATT version). Are there any issues with getting 875 for the US? Is it that LTE doesn't work properly?

Paganmoon

I see that there are two models of Lumia 1020. The RM-875 (international version) and RM-877 (ATT version). Are there any issues with getting 875 for the US? Is it that LTE doesn't work properly?

I have a Euro 1020, that I brought with me to the US over Christmas, got a pre-paid card with (supposedly) 3G, and the speeds absolutely sucked, not sure if it was T-Mobile that had bad bandwidth (in Miami) or if the phone couldn't use the proper frequencies.

NeOak

You'll have to get the AT&T version if you want LTE. AFAIK, it doesn't have to be unlocked for it to work on AIO.

I have a Euro 1020, that I brought with me to the US over Christmas, got a pre-paid card with (supposedly) 3G, and the speeds absolutely sucked, not sure if it was T-Mobile that had bad bandwidth (in Miami) or if the phone couldn't use the proper frequencies.

T-mobile uses 1700Mhz for 3G, and 1900Mhz is some markets after the failed AT&T buyout.

My phone started misreporting the correct battery level. For instance, I end a charge and goes from 100% to 22% in 5 minutes, but from there I can use it pretty much the whole day and it will only drop bellow 22% after about 15 hours.

This is really bad because the battery sense app gets tricked into thinking that whatever I was doing when I unplugged my phone drained tons of battery, so the Usage info is pretty much useless for me now.

I'm noticing IE draining battery really fast too, just leave it with a page open makes my phone warm to the touch, and I usually have to kill the process, otherwise even in background my phone gets really warm. Battery sense isn't picking that properly too, as it always show IE as not using much battery when in background.

---

But at least I figured out my issues with notifications. I have a unlimited data plan but after 1GB downloaded my carrier throttles the download speed, so I've set up a limit to manage how data I use, but I asked it to not do anything once the limits hit. This used to work fine in 8, but in 8.1 even though I specifically told to not do anything once the limit is met it seems it won't allow some apps to do work in background...

Another issue I have, that's more of an annoyance is that even when I allow an app to run in background when battery saver is on the app still annoys me everytime I enter it with a popup reminding me that battery saver is on. The app do work on background now, but I think that if an app is always allowed the system could report to it that battery saver is off.

Laekon

I'm interested in grabbing a 520/521 to try this out but have a few questions. Microsoft has the 521 for $70 but Best Buy has the 520 for the same price and I can just go pick it up. Will a 520 work on T-mobile? It seems the 520 and 521 have the same bands but I might be misreading something. Will all the features work even with the limited RAM?

NeOak

I'm interested in grabbing a 520/521 to try this out but have a few questions. Microsoft has the 521 for $70 but Best Buy has the 520 for the same price and I can just go pick it up. Will a 520 work on T-mobile? It seems the 520 and 521 have the same bands but I might be misreading something. Will all the features work even with the limited RAM?

520 won't have 3G on T-mobile. Get the 521.

Is there a general idea of how long it will be for the 1020's successor to come out? Or even the 1520 with a better camera/gg3? Starting to want to upgrade my 920.

No they are carrier locked.

The Flash

Banned
So I did a hard reset, charged my phone an hour ago, and it still says i have 100% charge and 25 hours remaining. Problem solved I guess?

Considering what people are saying, I guess I'm lucky that I haven't run into any bugs with 8.1 yet.

In other news, I'm having an interesting time working with the Universal Apps. I pretty much decided to rewrite most of my apps from scratch to take full advantage of all the cross platform features. I kind of wish the updated documentation was all there, but its not too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom