• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElNino

Holy balls my battery is awful after 8.1

Strange thing is that I think it's only happening at work. And battery saver doesn't help because it doesn't show any one app as dominating the battery.

Gmail / MSFT account sync is fine and not stuck.

Really unsure what's causing it.
Battery life on my 1020 has been strange since 8.1. On Tuesday and Wednesday it was terrible and I had to charge multiple times those days, but I had lots of stuff turned on that I didn't really need and used the phone quite a bit more than normal while trying the new 8.1 features.

Today was mostly good. After a normal usage day I had around 45% battery left when I got home around 9:30 PM (after getting up around 6:30 AM) which was pretty good. But then the battery dropped to 18% in around 90 minutes despite not doing anything terribly demanding. I did watch a few clips in At Bat, but they were less than 2 minutes total so I don't believe that should have caused that much of a drop.

Wi-Fi is killing my phone battery at work. The old setting would keep it connected but I am not sure how the new setting work so it keep disconnected then try to connect which drain my battery. I still have about 35% left by the time I get home after 12 hours day but it used to be much better.

kharma45

Had to talk myself out of a 1520 there now. Price of a nearly new one dropped from £350 to £270 and whilst it's tempting I think the size is verging on too big. Plus some guys on here did seem to regret theirs.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Had to talk myself out of a 1520 there now. Price of a nearly new one dropped from £350 to £270 and whilst it's tempting I think the size is verging on too big. Plus some guys on here did seem to regret theirs.

I gave it to my wife, it just felt way too big for me. But honestly, seeing my wife use it every day, I think I can get used to it after all. With nothing on the horizon for AT&T, I may pick it up as a stopgap until the fall if I see one for a crazy good price on Ebay.

kazinova

Gosh dangit.

Did they change the way you select a specific location in a block of text or is it just me?

In WP7/8 a long press on text you were editing would produce a cursor above your finger that you would then position. Now in WP8.1 the long press seems to snap the cursor to somwhere under your finger.

Boo!

KageMaru

Gosh dangit.

Did they change the way you select a specific location in a block of text or is it just me?

In WP7/8 a long press on text you were editing would produce a cursor above your finger that you would then position. Now in WP8.1 the long press seems to snap the cursor to somwhere under your finger.

Boo!

Yup, hate how the cursor is now. Hate to say it but this is one thing I wish they would copy from IOS or Android. The old way this function worked wasn't perfect but it was better than it is now.

Gosh dangit.

Boo!

Yeah, not a fan of this new way at all.

hwalker84

Has anyone had their camera launch automatically on their 1520 since updating to windows phone 8.1? This has happened 3-4 times since updating.

NeOak

You'll get used to it.

Has anyone had their camera launch automatically on their 1520 since updating to windows phone 8.1? This has happened 3-4 times since updating.
No for me.

How is the signal strength of the 1520? I have this impression that the 920 had better reception.

As for cases, Incipio's NGP it's like the Nokia sleeves for the 920.

Paganmoon

Not had that happen, but last night, Spotify randomly started playing in the middle of the night.

Edit: on a 1020 btw.

Eh? Tap the word it highlights, want more? Drag the circle underneath at either end?

What do you mean?

Let's say I want to add a letter into a word I've already typed. In WP 8 and prior, I could do a long press then drag my cursor to where I want to add the letter and release.

In WP 8.1, I have to try and long press the precise location that I want the letter inserted, which is difficult unless you have tiny fingers.

Unless I'm missing something. Teach me!

frontieruk

What do you mean?

Let's say I want to add a letter into a word I've already typed. In WP 8 and prior, I could do a long press then drag my cursor to where I want to add the letter and release.

In WP 8.1, I have to try and long press the precise location that I want the letter inserted, which is difficult unless you have tiny fingers.

Unless I'm missing something. Teach me!

Double tap, you get one cursor to drag for precision.

Eh? Tap the word it highlights, want more? Drag the circle underneath at either end?
That can be tough at times though. For example if your making a post on GAF and your text is at the bottom of the editable text area, there cursor to drag will be half hidden and it's very hard to grab it.

frontieruk

Problem is you need to have your finger on the cursor now to drag it, which covers up the cursor when I do it.

Really? I thought once you had the cursor you could move your finger anywhere...

You get about lines grace below before it will drop. Going up is the only time my finger covers the cursor.

KageMaru

Really? I thought once you had the cursor you could move your dinner anywhere...

You get about lines grace below before it will drop. Going up is the only time my finger covers the cursor

Yeah, I see what you mean. Seems to be a fine line between where it can be moved and seen at the same time and where it tries to swipe to go back.

frontieruk

Yeah, I see what you mean. Seems to be a fine line between where it can be moved and seen at the same time and where it tries to swipe to go back.

I can't remember how text selection worked prior to 8.1 as I've been on android since April last year, but I remember there was a small triangle to drag on the bottom of the cursor, that's just changed to a circle now, so other than how you activate selection I don't see how behavior has changed.

Commodore

Really? I thought once you had the cursor you could move your finger anywhere...

You get about lines grace below before it will drop. Going up is the only time my finger covers the cursor, I can't remember how text selection worked prior to 8.1 as I've been on android since April last year, but I remember there was a small triangle to drag on the bottom of the cursor, that's just changed to a circle now, so other than how you activate selection I don't see how behavior has changed.

Yeah once you have the cursor, you can have your finger hover below it anywhere on the screen and move it where you want. Works just fine.

hwalker84

That can't be, there are some people on here that insist there are no bugs in this release.
There are definitely issues. At the forefront is battery. It took a nosedive. I just pulled my phone out after being in airplane mode for a two hour flight and it felt like it had been trying to run titanfall. Hot as hell.

frontieruk

Xbox Music team created a User Voice/suggestion box page: http://xboxmusic.uservoice.com/forums/209733-xbox-music-suggestion-box/category/67365-windows-phone

Add your feedback there. Trying to see if they currently have an entry to mark songs as favorites again.

Spent my votes already, favorites can wait till gapless playback, a scrubber , the live tile and using my music collection not their equivalents from the cloud is implemented, my limited edition cds never get recognised damnit.

Sordid

Is my phone being funny or has the way IE handles new tabs changed? Before when browsing GAF if I opened a thread in a new tab then pushed back (next to the Windows button) it kept the new tab open and returned me to the original tab. On 8.1 when I open a thread in a new tab then push back it closes the newly opened tab when it returns me to the original tab. It's pretty annoying.

NeOak

Is my phone being funny or has the way IE handles new tabs changed? Before when browsing GAF if I opened a thread in a new tab then pushed back (next to the Windows button) it kept the new tab open and returned me to the original tab. On 8.1 when I open a thread in a new tab then push back it closes the newly opened tab when it returns me to the original tab. It's pretty annoying.
It changed. 8.1 handles it the same way WP7 did, but in terms of programs.

I think the new way is better since you can open a lot of tabs so it will return you to the last tab. Trade offs unfortunately.

Also, lastflowers: Webm support asap please. 4chan is barely bearable now, and some OPs in GAF use it too, like the new Trials game.

Props for embedded YouTube working now though. Overall, props to the WP team. Makes the 1520 really useful.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
There are definitely issues. At the forefront is battery. It took a nosedive. I just pulled my phone out after being in airplane mode for a two hour flight and it felt like it had been trying to run titanfall. Hot as hell.

So bad battery on the 1520 too? I was hoping that the big battery on that phablet would offset the extra battery drain from the preview.

The Flash

Banned
Man Xbox Music as a platform needs a big overhaul. I'm trying to use the XM app on Win8.1 and it's horrendous. All of my playlists are out of order and I have to click on each one individually to delete them. That plus the horrible battery performance I'm experiencing on my 920 make me a sad man :(

hwalker84

So bad battery on the 1520 too? I was hoping that the big battery on that phablet would offset the extra battery drain from the preview.

Pulled my phone off the charge at 5am. By noon it was at 47% and 3 hours of that was in airplane mode. I did a soft reset and that slowed the drain and the phone started to cool off. No clue what was stuck in the background chewing battery.

Man Xbox Music as a platform needs a big overhaul. I'm trying to use the XM app on Win8.1 and it's horrendous. All of my playlists are out of order and I have to click on each one individually to delete them. That plus the horrible battery performance I'm experiencing on my 920 make me a sad man :(

I just hate how inconsistent the experiences can be. They've improved a lot, but I can play albums without actually clicking into the album from the web app, but on W8, I have to click the album, then the play button. In the web app, a little Play button appears on hover-over.

It's a TINY detail but MUCH better from a UX perspective.

Pulled my phone off the charge at 5am. By noon it was at 47% and 3 hours of that was in airplane mode. I did a soft reset and that slowed the drain and the phone started to cool off. No clue what was stuck in the background chewing battery.

My battery life, according to the estimates in the Battery Saver app, hovers around 16-20 hours in length.

I unplugged my phone at 8 AM this morning and it's now 4 PM. I have 43% left, estimated at 8 hours in length. That's with about 40 minutes of podcast play and casual checking of IE/FB/6tag/Cortana.

Commodore

Spent my votes already, favorites can wait till gapless playback, a scrubber , the live tile and using my music collection not their equivalents from the cloud is implemented, my limited edition cds never get recognised damnit.

The most glaring omission still since Windows Phone launched, as a long time Zune Pass user, is the lack of an autoplaylist option. Automated playlists set up around a bunch of criteria makes listening to music much easier on the go, as well as being able to easily classify and segregate a big music collection into specific lists. It was a big and easy doorway I used to listen to my music, and something I still miss quite a bit. It's insane they launched XBOX Music without it, shows the guys that took over didn't understand what made Zune special. If they finally get their act together, I'll likely stick around because I like the integration with the OS, but if Spotify's redesigned app is good, I might jump ship. They have so many socially culled playlists centered around so many themes and genres all set up, its mighty tempting.

Can't describe how great it is to have your phone recognize and drop swear words into your texts/messages.

I AM AN ADULT
THANK YOU BASED BELFIORE

KageMaru

I can't remember how text selection worked prior to 8.1 as I've been on android since April last year, but I remember there was a small triangle to drag on the bottom of the cursor, that's just changed to a circle now, so other than how you activate selection I don't see how behavior has changed.

How it worked before is you would hold your finger on the screen and above your finger, a red cursor indicator would appear. You could then place the indicator anywhere on the screen as it floated above your finger. Key difference between the old and new method is the cursor was higher above your finger the old way, making it harder for it to be covered up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom