• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dropped my 1020 twice since upgrading to 8.1.

I can't stand to see the small dents and scratches. Looking into replacement cases as instructional videos showing replacement seems fairly easy. Colors also include an orange. Wish they had cyan.

Razdek

Banned
Have all those people that have done a that hard reset get a noticeable difference in their battery life? Thinking of doing one but only if it's worth it as it means losing game saves.

KageMaru

Hmmmm...

For me this is the worst I've ever seen on my 920.

Maybe that's the reason I'm having performance issues? I imagine there is some logical reason the OS has reserved storage for other. I'm sure I'm reaching with that theory though.

i1BEEPpsXA29M.png

Have all those people that have done a that hard reset get a noticeable difference in their battery life? Thinking of doing one but only if it's worth it as it means losing game saves.

Not sure if a hard reset solves the battery issue. I did it yesterday, it took more than 5 hours to recharge my dead phone using wireless charging this morning, leading me to believe something was draining the battery. Once it was finally charged, I used it once to send a text message and set it down. About an hour later I picked it up, it was extremely warm, and nearly 40% of the battery has been drained on standby at that point. I restarted my phone and it seems to have been running fine since.

It's odd that MS would send out the Icon for people to use for their 8.1 reviews considering how many issues I've had with my Icon on 8.1.

bummer already have a family plan with 5 lines
thanks guys... no brainer for anyone wanting to get on board with wp though.

on the dev preview... for anyone experiencing issues... dl the diagnostic app

Well Reddit post said since its a no contract phone just get new account but don't activate it.

I wasn't going to use this but this let me get around the tile color choices, now I can have black and white theme on my black and white phone.

Razdek

Banned
Not sure if a hard reset solves the battery issue. I did it yesterday, it took more than 5 hours to recharge my dead phone using wireless charging this morning, leading me to believe something was draining the battery. Once it was finally charged, I used it once to send a text message and set it down. About an hour later I picked it up, it was extremely warm, and nearly 40% of the battery has been drained on standby at that point. I restarted my phone and it seems to have been running fine since.

It's odd that MS would send out the Icon for people to use for their 8.1 reviews considering how many issues I've had with my Icon on 8.1.

Thanks for the response, looks like it isn't worth it to do a hard reset then.

Razdek

Banned
My battery in my 920 hasn't been great but it is nowhere near as bad as some of you are experiencing thankfully.

Do you have another device like an iPhone or Android to compare to? I have a Nexus 5 and when swapping back and forth the battery drain on my HTC 8x in standby is noticeably better on my Nexus 5.

For instance I put my Sim card in my Nexus 5 and fully charged it before going to bed and I woke up with 97%. I tried the same thing yesterday with my HTC 8x and woke up with 79%. I have more things running in the background on the Nexus 5 compared to the 8x but there must be something else causing the drain.

Battery sense just shows me IE using the most and I have background tasks turned off for it. Having to do multiple charges throughout the day sucks.

Sordid

For instance I put my Sim card in my Nexus 5 and fully charged it before going to bed and I woke up with 97%. I tried the same thing yesterday with my HTC 8x and woke up with 79%.

I'm getting the same, before 8.1 I only lost a few % through the night on my 920 and now I'm losing 20+% every night. Disabled the background IE task but it hasn't helped so far.

Paganmoon

Dropped my 1020 twice since upgrading to 8.1.

I can't stand to see the small dents and scratches. Looking into replacement cases as instructional videos showing replacement seems fairly easy. Colors also include an orange. Wish they had cyan.

The 8.1 update must've made it slippier.

I'm getting the same, before 8.1 I only lost a few % through the night on my 920 and now I'm losing 20+% every night. Disabled the background IE task but it hasn't helped so far.

I let my 1020 completely drain and charged it again after, seems to have made the situation better, before I could loose 50% during the night, now I've "only" lost 15%.

The photo app is messed up. They made it uglier, there's still no light theme, backgrounds are gone, too and you can't even zoom out to scroll faster through your pictures anymore. I'd love the hear the explanation for the last one("something something idiots in focus groups something").

MCD

The photo app is messed up. They made it uglier, there's still no light theme, backgrounds are gone, too and you can't even zoom out to scroll faster through your pictures anymore. I'd love the hear the explanation for the last one("something something idiots in focus groups something").

It's uglier but easy to access for my old mom.

LowerLevel

Serious question, what type and how many apps do you use on your Icon? If you just want to PM me, that's cool. I pretty much only have a handful of games and some basics (Facebook, Weather, Kindle/Audible, etc), and while I did have a few hitches before I read your post about hard reset (which I tried, thanks!), I don't have the same issues like before. Just wondering if it's a particular app that's giving issues. Thanks again btw.

nillapuddin

So Im going in to ATT today

If I can schmooze my way to a free 1020, Ill bite.

If not Ill get a 920 online ( dont carry them in store )

ElNino

Do you have another device like an iPhone or Android to compare to? I have a Nexus 5 and when swapping back and forth the battery drain on my HTC 8x in standby is noticeably better on my Nexus 5.

For instance I put my Sim card in my Nexus 5 and fully charged it before going to bed and I woke up with 97%. I tried the same thing yesterday with my HTC 8x and woke up with 79%. I have more things running in the background on the Nexus 5 compared to the 8x but there must be something else causing the drain.

Battery sense just shows me IE using the most and I have background tasks turned off for it. Having to do multiple charges throughout the day sucks.
I was getting pretty poor idle battery life on my 1020 after the 8.1 update, but I seem to have resolved it now. Not 100% sure that it was the culprit, but I deleted my battery monitoring app (Battery) and installed a different one (Battery Performance) and now my battery life has been noticeably better.

After 8 hours of light usage yesterday, I was still at 80% battery which is much better than I had been getting.

joshschw

Had a poor battery life the first two days on 8.1 on my L820 - could have just been the new OS syndrome, but after that I let the battery drain to 0 so phone shut down, and since then I've had great battery life as usual.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

I get some drain overnight, but typically I have it charged. The amount I lost overnight the other night was similar to 8.0. I have nothing else to compare it too. My phone is closing in on 2 years so I imagine there is some battery deterioration as well.

Am I insane for wanting a Nokia 2520 tablet? I have a feeling Verizon and AT&T both will dump them soon at severe discounts. Gonna be ready when that day comes. That class leading screen brightness ...but that RT.

maeh2k

Am I insane for wanting a Nokia 2520 tablet? I have a feeling Verizon and AT&T both will dump them soon at severe discounts. Gonna be ready when that day comes. That class leading screen brightness ...but that RT.

If the price is right, it's amazing. Windows RT is great. The hardware is really nice. But I'd only buy one if you want to use mobile internet. Otherwise I'd go with a Surface 2 which has a better keyboard solution.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Wish Telus had the 930. We are looking to switch carriers later this year, but we may have to do that sooner rather than later since my wife's 4S is running like garbage since she updated it.

KageMaru

Serious question, what type and how many apps do you use on your Icon? If you just want to PM me, that's cool. I pretty much only have a handful of games and some basics (Facebook, Weather, Kindle/Audible, etc), and while I did have a few hitches before I read your post about hard reset (which I tried, thanks!), I don't have the same issues like before. Just wondering if it's a particular app that's giving issues. Thanks again btw.

I have around 230 apps installed but only regularly use a handful of them (facebook, Instagram, Music, Here Drive, etc.). Looking at the battery saver app, IE has been the major source of usage by far.

LowerLevel

I have around 230 apps installed but only regularly use a handful of them (facebook, Instagram, Music, Here Drive, etc.). Looking at the battery saver app, IE has been the major source of usage by far.

Ah, ok thx. Haven't really looked at what drains the most. So far it has only been games and Here Drive that prompts the drain message. And an audio book once. But you do have FAR more apps than I do. Seriously hope this works out for you. Coming from a Droid, this phone is just better for me. Same low amount of apps but it hitched up more than I can remember...

freshair

Ever since I turned off email fetching "based on my usage" to "every hour" my battery has pretty much stabilized to pre-8.1 levels, so I can I'm happy with it now.

Ape

Banned
I'm not having battery issues. I don't know what's going on with you guys but I hope it gets straightened out.

ElNino

Ever since I turned off email fetching "based on my usage" to "every hour" my battery has pretty much stabilized to pre-8.1 levels, so I can I'm happy with it now.
I did this as well, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it made. I have my MS and Google accounts on "as items arrive" and my Yahoo (Rogers) account on "hourly".

Today, with light/moderate usage I'm at 85% remaining after 7 hours so my battery usage seems to be back to what it was pre-8.1. That being said, when I use the phone (1020) for prolonged periods at a time, more than 15 minutes at least, it seems to drain the battery more than it previously did.

frontieruk

I did this as well, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it made. I have my MS and Google accounts on "as items arrive" and my Yahoo (Rogers) account on "hourly".

Today, with light/moderate usage I'm at 85% remaining after 7 hours so my battery usage seems to be back to what it was pre-8.1. That being said, when I use the phone (1020) for prolonged periods at a time, more than 15 minutes at least, it seems to drain the battery more than it previously did.

No optimised drivers.

Razdek

Banned
Decided to do a hard reset anyways to see if that will help with the battery life. I noticed that it fixed the issues with choppy scrolling on the home screen and in IE that I would randomly encounter so I'll test the battery life over the next few days.

KageMaru

Ah, ok thx. Haven't really looked at what drains the most. So far it has only been games and Here Drive that prompts the drain message. And an audio book once. But you do have FAR more apps than I do. Seriously hope this works out for you. Coming from a Droid, this phone is just better for me. Same low amount of apps but it hitched up more than I can remember...

I'm sure things will get sorted out by the official release. I'm just surprised at the amount of issues I've been running into. I reset my phone a few days ago and already I'm running into performance issues again. Really sucks when I'm trying to use my phone and I get the "Loading..." screen for a few minutes just by unlocking to the home screen.

The right channel on my 920's headphone jack suddenly stopped working. It doesn't even seem to be a loose connection or anything like that. I tried cleaning the jack too, but it didn't help. Really weird.

The right channel on my 920's headphone jack suddenly stopped working. It doesn't even seem to be a loose connection or anything like that. I tried cleaning the jack too, but it didn't help. Really weird.
Haha no way.. I had This a few days ago and thought my new bought earplugs broke.. I restarted it and it worked again, 8.1?

There's an Xbox music update due soon, right? Hope it actually improves, the current one is really bad, it doesn't even supports background downloads XD

hwalker84

Jeah really a weird bug.. Just bought them, no way you blame the os for a channel which doesnt work..

My battery is back to normal it seems, turned of the synch options and it lasts a day with moderate use
Some weird bugs popping up with WP8.1. Hopefully new manufacturers firmware fixes things. Don't know what's going on with my 1520 but sometimes I'll feel my pocket is getting hot and its the back of my 1520 feeling like its been playing an intense game for the last hour or so. The battery life will have drained accordingly.

Some weird bugs popping up with WP8.1. Hopefully new manufacturers firmware fixes things. Don't know what's going on with my 1520 but sometimes I'll feel my pocket is getting hot and its the back of my 1520 feeling like its been playing an intense game for the last hour or so. The battery life will have drained accordingly.
Jeah heard that one before.. Guess its the unoptimized drivers, a soft reset should fix it in soms cases though, maybe try that?

KageMaru

I think I may try to revert back to 8.0 tonight. I'm enjoying the new features but the performance issues are too great when I use my phone for work purposes. I figured the preview would require some polish, but I never imagined it would be as bad as it is on my phone. I should not have to wait minutes for my home screen to load.

If the price is right, it's amazing. Windows RT is great. The hardware is really nice. But I'd only buy one if you want to use mobile internet. Otherwise I'd go with a Surface 2 which has a better keyboard solution.

ordered it, $320 shipped. with att's new plan it's $10 a month for LTE and they're giving $100 credit with the new line activation.

Herr K

Banned
I think I may try to revert back to 8.0 tonight. I'm enjoying the new features but the performance issues are too great when I use my phone for work purposes. I figured the preview would require some polish, but I never imagined it would be as bad as it is on my phone. I should not have to wait minutes for my home screen to load.
It's not possible to go back after a developer update.

hwalker84

I turned IE background tasks off and my battery life increased dramatically. Even used Nokia Drive a ton today while playing music.
Really wish there was a defined list of exactly what turning off background tasks for a certain app does. Allow apps to update a text field in battery saver.

PG2G

You can't downgrade. (and keep your data). If you're flashing you can probably go back to any OS version you want

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom