• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

KageMaru

Well...
wp_ss_20140421_0001mpqf8.png

Can't find where I originally read about it, but using Nokia updater software, it's possible.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/04/downgrade-windows-phone-8-1-to-8-0-possible/

The Flash

Banned
My phone's battery is acting weird again too. Maybe if I sacrificed the old LG flip phone I had things would improve. Surround it with my other Microsoft products, put a picture of Gates at the top, set the LG phone on fire, and then yell Kali Ma for a few minutes. Might work.
If you think I'm being serious then I feel bad for you son.

Paganmoon

Seriously, I've spent the last hour browsing gaf on train wifi, having Spotify on (offline playlists), and lost 50% battery, and the phone is hotter than when I use the camera for long periods of times. Something's not right here.

Edit:
Checked my tabs and had like 10 opened, seems new IE doesn't reuse tabs but always opens new ones, wonder if that has anything to do with the drain.

Nero3000

Jesus christ XBOX MUSIC is soooo poor.

Was trying to listen to music on the way to work...the fucking loading...every fucking where...the blank screens. I got halfway to work before i managed to get a track to play.

I hope the update is a substantial improvement.

Bri

I ordered the 925 earlier, looking forward to try it out.

Some things seems to be lacking though. I read that you can't download PDF:s via IE11. Suppose there are plenty of things like that that are missing in WP.

Sordid

The Games app sucks now too, it's always blank when I load it up and it takes like 5 seconds to repopulate my games list. Weird change, it worked fine pre 8.1

KageMaru

Oddly I'm not having much trouble with the music app. Performance can be improved and the lock screen functionality is broken, but music plays fine. The video app however still won't work for me =/

I'm wondering if my performance issues were cortana related. It didn't take Cortana long to remember things about me at first, but she never did it after I wiped all of that saved data. She wasn't tracking my data even after the hard reset. Well I wiped everything locally and on the cloud again and entered some interests of my own instead of waiting for her to figure it out. Well the performance problems seem to have mostly cleared since then. Could just be a coincidence, who knows, I'm just happy I'm running into less lock ups and loading screens.

hadareud

The Translator
I have no idea how they managed to introduce loading times to lists of games and music.

It's some achievement, really.

The worst thing is that there was already 2 updates to the games hub and it's still like that. Doesn't fill me with confidence that the music app problems will be fixed any time soon.

The xbox music app on Windows was horrible when it first came out. It's still not as good as Zune was (though it's a lot better than it used to be). But at least you didn't have to wait for literally half a minute your music to be loaded when you opened the app. And again every time you go back to artists.

And I don't mean literally in the Jamie Redknapp sort of way.

PG2G

I was looking for it yesterday, anyone know if WP8.1 is integrated with the Windows 8 Reading List? Seems silly not to, but I wasn't able to find anything

hadareud

The Translator
I was looking for it yesterday, anyone know if WP8.1 is integrated with the Windows 8 Reading List? Seems silly not to, but I wasn't able to find anything

No, not yet.

I'd say use Poki, but they haven't updated the app for 8.1 yet, so you can't share things to it at the moment.

MCD

I have no idea how they managed to introduce loading times to lists of games and music.

It's some achievement, really.

The worst thing is that there was already 2 updates to the games hub and it's still like that. Doesn't fill me with confidence that the music app problems will be fixed any time soon.

The xbox music app on Windows was horrible when it first came out. It's still not as good as Zune was (though it's a lot better than it used to be). But at least you didn't have to wait for literally half a minute your music to be loaded when you opened the app. And again every time you go back to artists.

And I don't mean literally in the Jamie Redknapp sort of way.

It's strange how they always abandon everything they worked on and start from scratch with every OS release.

Nero3000

It's strange how they always abandon everything they worked on and start from scratch with every OS release.

I get the feeling that microsoft has all these grand ideas that wants to be implemented at a fundamental level. So rather than iterate on the top level for too long, they will rebuild it from scratch with the learning from the last go.

So they probably build something technical that is amazing, but the end user experience needs more time to get back to where it was, before leveraging this new foundation.

The big example of this was Longhorn and Vista - which stuff like the WinFS (RIP), sound system and graphics drivers were redone.

Although saying that Xbox music is shit and never should have been released like this. Bring back Zune.

Razdek

Banned

This is so true and one of the most annoying things that the team does and it applies to apps as well. They seem to act like it's their first time doing things instead of learning from what they have already built before.

frontieruk

Hmm got an email this morning saying gapless playback was under review, how did they let this happen after the fuss to actually get it on zune is beyond me.

joshschw

Anyone else kinda iffy on the new people hub? I understand it's better for updates, and in future, more apps to integrate itself with. Though, for now the only change is that each Facebook post I click on takes several seconds to load up, and there's no way to get from content to comments, and hitting back doesn't work either... and did I mention that loading time, eeek!

bedlamite

for some reason 8.1 started hammering the battery in my 1520 and killed it midafternoon. I was stuck in the office without a charging solution so I left it off; luckily it got up to about 7% when I turned it on again as I was leaving for the day. I open up XM during my train ride home and because of the nearly depleted battery, it throws up some BS DRM failure to check error message, locking out all the subscription-based music on my phone. Fucking annoying.

Anyone else kinda iffy on the new people hub? I understand it's better for updates, and in future, more apps to integrate itself with. Though, for now the only change is that each Facebook post I click on takes several seconds to load up, and there's no way to get from content to comments, and hitting back doesn't work either... and did I mention that loading time, eeek!
All the hubs have been deprecated, and it fucking sucks. 8.1 makes WP more of a mainstream OS but takes away some of what made it special

Samus4145

Updated my Lumia 928 to 8.1 through the developer preview.

It fixed the issues I had with the photo tile, but I can't figure out where to adjust the transparency for tiles or set a background image.

stktt

Banned
I prefer the new people hub. Inline images and URLs that are actually formatted properly are nice, and the new framework means there won't be a situation where features found in an application aren't available from the hub. The experience will improve once 8.1 isn't weeks old.

On that note, I like the new photos app. The panorama always seemed redundant when its live tile already displayed your photographs and other pivots could already be found elsewhere. Actually grouping albums in the camera roll is nice, and Twitter/Facebook/Onedrive are largely intact. I'm assuming OneDrive will be updated with the ability to upload images from the app.

No ability to zoom out when browsing photographs is the only odd omission.

Updated my Lumia 928 to 8.1 through the developer preview.

It fixed the issues I had with the photo tile, but I can't figure out where to adjust the transparency for tiles or set a background image.

Transparency is tied to tiles that use your phone's accent color. Some apps need to be updated by the developer. Backgrounds are available in start+theme.

dLMN8R

Will it ever aggregate social notifications and update the live tile again? With that gone, I have zero use for it.

I don't know if the APIs enable apps to update the Me tile, but for me that functionality was never reliable anyway. Especially with the notification center, which enables developers to not just add new notifications, but also remove outdated notifications in the event it was "cleared" from somewhere else, the Me tile is a remnant of the past.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I got annoyed with having notifications on the me tile. Usually it either didn't work or I would have multiple tiles displaying the same notification.

joshschw

http://www.wpcentral.com/social-extensibility-framework-windows-phone-81-will-make-things-better

It's "awful" because you're using a developer preview, which exists explicitly so developers can get early access to it before the vast majority of customers do in order to build their apps in a way that use the new APIs as intended.

The Facebook app has been poor for years, and that's really the main issue with the new People Hub. So while there may be no OS limitation to the fact it's poor at the moment, we also have no reason to assume that suddenly the Facebook app will be good after all these years either, don't you see our viewpoint?

Edit: I could see the new ME tile being useful once we get a few new People hub apps. Still an easy to go to place to post your updates and such.

http://www.wpcentral.com/social-extensibility-framework-windows-phone-81-will-make-things-better

It's "awful" because you're using a developer preview, which exists explicitly so developers can get early access to it before the vast majority of customers do in order to build their apps in a way that use the new APIs as intended.

The same was said about the apps that came with some pre-RTM Windows 8.0 version and how the big fat "preview" banner in those apps were an indication that they shouldn't be judged like final release versions. Then the consumer version was released and it took another year for those apps to become useful. Nothing is going to get turned around in another 3 months. The Xbox Music beta app has been out for a while now, but very basic things like the fucking scrubber are still missing. That has nothing to do with betas and previews and version numbers and it's simply a case of mismanagement.

hadareud

The Translator
The people hub is actually better now imo.

Lets concentrate our combined whinge on what isn't better and is important, ie the music hub.

edit: I meant the music app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom