• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

KageMaru

Not sure if this has been discussed here but if you search the phone for "USB" using Cortana, you are given access to USB settings not found in Setting menu. Wonder why it's hidden.

hadareud

The Translator
I think it was Senna F1 who recommended the hard-core history podcast. Thanks for that, it's good stuff.

The dude shows some great insight (even though he gets hung up on weird things at times), it's very enjoyable.

Zeknurn

Is it not possible to set a static ip on WP or am I blind? My friend is wondering because he can't use Wi-fi without the option.

Magni

My parents live in Issy-les-Moulineaux, I see the MS headquarters everytime I go back to visit them. French engineers are well known for their skill (not biased at all no :p - also, just look at Rudy), surprised Xbox Music has been doing so poorly.

catmincer

I'm on part 2 of the Hardcore History episode series "Blueprint for Armageddon" and while Dan Carlin rightfully praises the French for their 19th century accomplishments, his descriptions of their World War I plan/army are shocking. Bright red pants, bright white gloves and white hats, horses with breastplates lack of belief in heavy artillery. Just finished hearing about Battle of the Frontiers...27,000 dead French in a single day o_O

Then there was the whole Maginot Line where they built a ton of fortifications on the border of Germany and the Germans just went in via Belgium haha.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Then there was the whole Maginot Line where they built a ton of fortifications on the border of Germany and the Germans just went in via Belgium haha.

And the fact that the gun emplacements on the Maginot line were fixed, buried in concrete in fact, so that if the line was broken, breached or circumvented, there was no way to shoot any way except forward.

I just noticed that when you reframe a picture the new version no longer gets auto uploaded to onedrive, in fact, it doesn't get uploaded even manually, as the option to upload is gone.

nillapuddin

So as I said picked up a 1020 for my SO and I.

I dont take pictures, but all people want to see is how great the pictures are on my phone, but when I look at them, they dont look out of this world or anything.

Are there some settings or apps I should use to best showcase them?

hwalker84

I dont take pictures, but all people want to see is how great the pictures are on my phone, but when I look at them, they dont look out of this world or anything.

Use the power. Think about what you're taking a picture of. What type of lighting you're in. Etc.

NeOak

Set them to 4:3 and use your PC. You can only see the 5MP version on your phone.

I've got the half as good version in the 1520, and the only time I've been particularly impressed is when taking closeup portraits in bright sunlight like in the park.

PG2G

I have found that the 1020 doesn't really guarantee good pictures. You really need to know what you're doing IMO.

The tangible benefit for average folks is the zoom, and I don't really use that too often

JaggedSac

Get a basic understanding of shutter speed and ISO. It'll help tons since manual shots will most of the time be better than automatic.

nillapuddin

Thanks for the tips on the pictures everyone

Now my largest annoyance is the lack of album art transferring into my xbox music app, the fact that there isnt a 100% accurate, 100% free completely, one-stop-show for all music diagnostics, matching, tagging, reorganizing and editing music is just flat ridiculous.
/s

Herr K

Banned
my phone used to store the whatsapp received photos on the whatsapp album. After the 8.1 update, it decided to create a new album "Other Pictures" to store said photos. How can I revert it to how it was before? Also, when I want to sent a whatsapp picture, I see another album named "8" that's empty, and I can't see it on the Gallery.

Commodore

Well, that's one way to customize the start screen...

G08C0aTl.jpg

I just noticed that when you reframe a picture the new version no longer gets auto uploaded to onedrive, in fact, it doesn't get uploaded even manually, as the option to upload is gone.
You're supposed to be able to do manual uploads via the OneDrive app. It has yet to work for me though, always produces an error. Hopefully the new update sorts it.

edit: the latest OneDrive app works for me, in fact, it allows for a lot more exploration through the phones file system. However, when you go to upload images it only produces a list of file names, which to be honest, is really useless. Need thumbs otherwise what's the point?

edit: Okay, a further edit, scrub the previous. You can add them via the share option in the photo hub.

Retrocide

The the purchase of Nokia's Device and Services division is now complete, will Microsoft continue to make Android phones or will they put it out to pasture?

hadareud

The Translator
Microsoft Mobile, eh?

They pronounce it right. Mobile is not pronounced Mobele. It's Mobile. Isle.

Also, a router is a router and not a rowter.

José Mourinho;109448185 said:
You're supposed to be able to do manual uploads via the OneDrive app. It has yet to work for me though, always produces an error. Hopefully the new update sorts it.

edit: the latest OneDrive app works for me, in fact, it allows for a lot more exploration through the phones file system. However, when you go to upload images it only produces a list of file names, which to be honest, is really useless. Need thumbs otherwise what's the point?

edit: Okay, a further edit, scrub the previous. You can add them via the share option in the photo hub.

My onedrive didn't updated yet, now it did and it does show in the share option in the photo hub. (I completely forgot that before I could just open the onedrive app and upload files from there XD)

Well, that's one way to customize the start screen...

G08C0aTl.jpg

Loved it.

JaggedSac

They need to integrate Xbox Live into the people hub. I don't want it for contacts, but to see maybe uploaded clips and twitch stream broadcasts starting.

NeOak

I figured it was something to that effect, Ill look into that, I can just use the standard "Windows Phone app for Desktop" and sync them to PC?
Just plug it in, it will mount as normal USB storage.

The the purchase of Nokia's Device and Services division is now complete, will Microsoft continue to make Android phones or will they put it out to pasture?
That is the big question.

hadareud

The Translator
I was just thinking about the future naming of the phones.

Here's my guess:

- Lumia "whatever" for the successors to the 5,6,7 series phones
- Surface "whatever" for the successors to the 8,9,10 phones

Nokia did a great job on the low and mid-end market with the Lumia line, but they didn't make any progress in the high end segment. Great phones, shit sales.

I would think that MS will want to build on the great reputation Nokia had with the 520 and 620 and that they will also need to change things around for the flagship phones.

Then it should be spelled that way. Then again, you could be Canadian and say aboot instead of about as well;)

I'm tempted during play-off time.

n64coder

Nokia did a great job on the low and mid-end market with the Lumia line, but they didn't make any progress in the high end segment. Great phones, shit sales.

I would think that MS will want to build on the great reputation Nokia had with the 520 and 620 and that they will also need to change things around for the flagship phones.

I think if they continue their stellar work with the low end phones, their high end market will eventually grow. I started with a low end phone because I was unsure about WP but just bought the 1020 recently since I'm comfortable with it and wanted a higher end phone.

CaptainABAB

Really liking 8.1 so far. I used to prefer tiles that added their own unique color/variety to the start screen, but with the new theme, I am preferring the transparent ones going forward.

Apps I would like to see on WP: Flickr, Sonos, SiriusXM

Really liking 8.1 so far. I used to prefer tiles that added their own unique color/variety to the start screen, but with the new theme, I am preferring the transparent ones going forward.

Apps I would like to see on WP: Flickr, Sonos, SiriusXM
There's a 3rd party Flickr, a 3rd party sonos called phonos, no Siriusxm though (that I'm aware of).

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
How do you pronounce route (as in Route 66). Isn't it the same for router then?

I pronounce Route 66 like root 66 but that's probably mostly because of the song. Router is pronounced like r-out-er. I've never heard anyone say rooter unless they're talking about gardening equipment.

They need to integrate Xbox Live into the people hub. I don't want it for contacts, but to see maybe uploaded clips and twitch stream broadcasts starting.
Great idea. It will promote the Lumia as an Xbox phone and bring in the gamers.

MS will never do it, they aren't that smart. They dropped the ball with gamers a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom